Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Right now Nintendo is the Titanic slowly but inexorably heading towards the iceberg. I can't wait for the ship to start sinking. It will be awesome to behold.

Godzilla monsters attack Earthís coastal cities from rifts inside the Pacific Ocean prompting the creation of giant robots to deal with this alien menace.

This is adolescent wish-fulfillment at its finest. The whole movie is a set up for a series of titanic battles between Godzilla monsters and giant-robots involving slow-motion punches and wrestling moves resulting in billions of dollars worth of property damage.

The cast is serviceable and largely forgettable. Anyone familiar with mecha anime will recognize these character archetypes: the goofy scientist, the hard-as-nails veteran, the bland hero, the cocky rear end in a top hat (who gets his comeuppance), the pretty-Asian-girl-who-kicks-rear end but has-a-troubled-past, the nefarious black-marketer, and so on.

Not much to recommend here apart from the giant robot fights. The talky relationship-building moments drag on too long; the rousing pre-battle speeches arenít particularly rousing; the humour falls flat. Thankfully we donít have to wait too long before another Godzilla-monster/giant-robot fight starts up.

The music got grating - the same heroic refrain plays over and over again. I grew up watching Mazinger-Z, Patlabor and Evangelion - unfortunately watching this I realized how routine and two-dimensional most of those mecha shows were.

3/5

lynch_69 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU