Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Hang on, so if you're flying out of Dublin or Shannon to the US, you can go through US immigration before even taking off? That seems immensely more sensible than the usual system for any number of reasons. Do you know if any airports on Great Britain do that? I'm looking to fly out to Bozeman in a couple of months and between my regular anxiety issues and the added massive stress of a day-long intercontinental coach travel (when you're over 6 feet tall no less) I tend to get worked up going through immigration, which has led to a couple of highly unenjoyable extra scrutiny episodes.

Current plan is flying from Birmingham as it's closest to me and no more expensive than the London airports but I'm fairly flexible and for a less stressful customs and immigration experience I'd go to bloody Kirkwall.

e; On further inspection it doesn't seem other airports near me do that, but this page explicitly says you can fly from Brum to Dublin and then avail yourself of US Preclearance. Now I just have to see if I can connect through Dublin with a price comparable to the ones through Amsterdam or Paris.
You can also do it by going through Canada, since AFAIK all our major airports have preclearance so that the planes can land in the domestic terminals once they get to the States. Unfortunately I don't think there's a lot of flights from Europe that have a stopover in Canada before going to the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Going from this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance it looks like Ireland or Canada are your only major international preclearance options. If youre flying from the U.K. Dublin would probably be far easier as you'd be clearing immigration there before the long, tiring transatlantic flight rather than after in Canada.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

One time I did go through Toronto and I didn't even realize it was preclearance or anything, but it wasn't really any different from the regular US checkpoints. I think the advantages would only become apparent on this side of the pond, but thanks for the input - I'll see what I can rustle up going through Dublin or Shannon.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mister Adequate posted:

Hang on, so if you're flying out of Dublin or Shannon to the US, you can go through US immigration before even taking off? That seems immensely more sensible than the usual system for any number of reasons. Do you know if any airports on Great Britain do that? I'm looking to fly out to Bozeman in a couple of months and between my regular anxiety issues and the added massive stress of a day-long intercontinental coach travel (when you're over 6 feet tall no less) I tend to get worked up going through immigration, which has led to a couple of highly unenjoyable extra scrutiny episodes.

Current plan is flying from Birmingham as it's closest to me and no more expensive than the London airports but I'm fairly flexible and for a less stressful customs and immigration experience I'd go to bloody Kirkwall.

e; On further inspection it doesn't seem other airports near me do that, but this page explicitly says you can fly from Brum to Dublin and then avail yourself of US Preclearance. Now I just have to see if I can connect through Dublin with a price comparable to the ones through Amsterdam or Paris.

Indeed, it's rather nice. As noted, there are no airports outside of Ireland or Canada that offer the service, unfortunately. But I think the real issue here is your anxiety; is that something specific to air travel or do you deal with that in general? In some cases, becoming educated as to what is happening and why often helps to alleviate some of the stress people feel in relation to air travel (loss of control, large crowds, etc). If you have specific things that cause you to worry, I'm happy to explain them in some detail so that you can know what's going to happen, why something is happening, and/or develop better coping strategies. I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I've known some people that were simply terrified of flying and arming them with information went a long way to making a terrible experience something closer to tolerable.

And you can do specific searches with Matrix wherein you specify a connecting point like DUB or SNN. EI has started interlining with UA so DUB is probably an option, cost notwithstanding.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
So this just happened:

google.com/flights

Any first impressions?

Edit: ah, seems to have been around a while, but I just noticed it was added to Maps

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

bam thwok posted:

So this just happened:

google.com/flights

Any first impressions?

Edit: ah, seems to have been around a while, but I just noticed it was added to Maps

Yeah, it's not new. It's based on a lot of the same data as Matrix, since Google bought ITA a while back.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
What can you guys tell me about short (<1hr) layovers on international flights? One of the flights I'm looking at (SFO-TPE-BKK) has a 45 minute layover. Is that cutting it too close? The carrier is EVA Air.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

xcdude24 posted:

What can you guys tell me about short (<1hr) layovers on international flights? One of the flights I'm looking at (SFO-TPE-BKK) has a 45 minute layover. Is that cutting it too close? The carrier is EVA Air.

I'd consider that pretty close. Transferring BR to BR at TPE shouldn't be that difficult, but if the weather is lovely at SFO, you could get delayed and that gives you almost no window to recover. I'd find something slightly longer if available.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I'm trying to fly out of LAX or one of the other local airports in Southern California on December 19th to Hawaii and come back anytime between the 27th and 29th. The cheapest tickets I can find are $800 on the Matrix website. Does that sound about right for the best I can do around that time period?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I'm trying to fly out of LAX or one of the other local airports in Southern California on December 19th to Hawaii and come back anytime between the 27th and 29th. The cheapest tickets I can find are $800 on the Matrix website. Does that sound about right for the best I can do around that time period?

Christmas is a very popular time to go to Hawaii, especially out of SoCal. That said, if you drive down to SAN, you can get to HNL for $661 on your dates.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Is flying ANA worth an extra $200 compared to flying on Delta?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

xcdude24 posted:

Is flying ANA worth an extra $200 compared to flying on Delta?

From where? And in coach? The answer is probably not, but it depends very much on route and equipment used.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Mackieman posted:

From where? And in coach? The answer is probably not, but it depends very much on route and equipment used.

Coach (maybe premium economy); SFO-SIN/BKK-SFO.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

xcdude24 posted:

Coach (maybe premium economy); SFO-SIN/BKK-SFO.

Out of SFO, is there a particular reason you're not looking at Singapore or Eva? Neither will require you to transit NRT and Eva's premium economy is pretty good. TPE is an easier transit than NRT in some cases, I'm told. I haven't personally done it but know people that have.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Mackieman posted:

Out of SFO, is there a particular reason you're not looking at Singapore or Eva? Neither will require you to transit NRT and Eva's premium economy is pretty good. TPE is an easier transit than NRT in some cases, I'm told. I haven't personally done it but know people that have.

Delta and ANA/United were the cheapest flights for my dates (outbound the week of October 13; inbound December 22-24). I've transited at NRT and it wasn't too bad. It seems like they keep all of one carrier's flight in and around the same area.

EDIT: and I have about $180 in Delta flight credit.

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 15, 2013

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

xcdude24 posted:

Delta and ANA/United were the cheapest flights for my dates (outbound the week of October 13; inbound December 22-24). I've transited at NRT and it wasn't too bad. It seems like they keep all of one carrier's flight in and around the same area.

EDIT: and I have about $180 in Delta flight credit.

Ah, ok, I see. Given that, I'd do United through HKG on the way out and you're forced to NRT when leaving BKK on the return. Economy Plus is pretty much just as good if not better than Economy Comfort on Delta, and even with your credit, you're not saving a ton over United in this particular case.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
What's with Kayak finding cheap flights then having them instantly be "sold out" when you go to the carrier site? Then I go back to Kayak and it's magically gone too. Several flights, within the span of minutes.

:(

So, I could use your help! Vacation details:

Round trip.

Origin: any Osaka/Kobe airport
Destination: any Toronto airport

Departure date: 12/28 +/- 1 day (Japan Time)
Return date: 1/6 +/- 1 day (Japan Time)

Overnight stopovers are perfectly fine if there's some time for clearing customs and activities. The one I found was $1100 per person, and on the way there it had an 18 hour overnight stopover in Seattle! Would have been awesome.

If you can't find anything it's alright! I gleamed lots of tips from this thread and will keep searching every week.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Zo posted:

What's with Kayak finding cheap flights then having them instantly be "sold out" when you go to the carrier site? Then I go back to Kayak and it's magically gone too. Several flights, within the span of minutes.

:(

So, I could use your help! Vacation details:

Round trip.

Origin: any Osaka/Kobe airport
Destination: any Toronto airport

Departure date: 12/28 +/- 1 day (Japan Time)
Return date: 1/6 +/- 1 day (Japan Time)

Overnight stopovers are perfectly fine if there's some time for clearing customs and activities. The one I found was $1100 per person, and on the way there it had an 18 hour overnight stopover in Seattle! Would have been awesome.

If you can't find anything it's alright! I gleamed lots of tips from this thread and will keep searching every week.

I don't see anything cheaper than $1244USD per person. If you leave out of NRT you can drop that to $1000 or so, but then you have to position to NRT which likely eats any savings, if not more.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mackieman posted:

I don't see anything cheaper than $1244USD per person. If you leave out of NRT you can drop that to $1000 or so, but then you have to position to NRT which likely eats any savings, if not more.

Ah I didn't think about looking at NRT. It's actually really cheap and convenience to get there.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Zo posted:

Ah I didn't think about looking at NRT. It's actually really cheap and convenience to get there.

Really? Well then go for it, it's almost always going to be the cheapest place to fly from in Japan.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I bought a ticket to go home over Christmas on Monday and when I checked again today, the same flight was $50 cheaper. Is there any chance that Delta will credit me the difference?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Gold and a Pager posted:

I bought a ticket to go home over Christmas on Monday and when I checked again today, the same flight was $50 cheaper. Is there any chance that Delta will credit me the difference?

Nein. That's the gamble you take and it sucks when you come out on the short end, but if you tried to get the lower fare, they'll require you to pay the change fee, which is usually $200 for domestic coach tickets these days, thus making the entire proposition dumb.

The only possible way this would work is if you were within 24 hours of when you booked the ticket. You can cancel for no fee at that point and simply rebook at the lower price. I've done this a couple of times over the years, but it's fairly rare. Outside of that 24 hour window, you're SOL.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Hello! I hope this is an appropriate place to ask a question about carry-on baggage allowances.

We have an international flight booked with United flying MEL-LAX-LasVegas in and SFO-LAX-MEL out. As far as I can tell from the 'UA' codes all connections are operated by United. Like the Travel Gear thread recommends, I wanted to do carry-on only and bought packs that fit within carry on dimensions. Our friend, who was a travel agent for many years, has said that there is also a 7kg weight limit on all carry-on luggage. She said this is true even though the ticket and website only mention dimensions, although it seems many local and international airlines do have that explicit policy on weight.

Is this 7kg weight limit some unwritten rule that will be rigidly enforced by United? Obviously I'm not planning on packing a bowling ball or anything ridiculous like that, but going over 7.00kg seems quite possible.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kat Delacour posted:

Hello! I hope this is an appropriate place to ask a question about carry-on baggage allowances.

We have an international flight booked with United flying MEL-LAX-LasVegas in and SFO-LAX-MEL out. As far as I can tell from the 'UA' codes all connections are operated by United. Like the Travel Gear thread recommends, I wanted to do carry-on only and bought packs that fit within carry on dimensions. Our friend, who was a travel agent for many years, has said that there is also a 7kg weight limit on all carry-on luggage. She said this is true even though the ticket and website only mention dimensions, although it seems many local and international airlines do have that explicit policy on weight.

Is this 7kg weight limit some unwritten rule that will be rigidly enforced by United? Obviously I'm not planning on packing a bowling ball or anything ridiculous like that, but going over 7.00kg seems quite possible.

It is quite appropriate. :)

United, like most US-based carriers, does not have a weight limit for carry-on bags, only size limits. The carry on weight limit is a rule almost exclusively imposed by international carriers, especially those of European origin. I've had some heavy-rear end carry on bags in my time and as long as they'll fit in the overhead, you won't get any grief. Your friend who was a travel agent is getting her policies and airlines confused. :)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Thank you for the quick answer! Very good to know.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Hi! Wasn't sure if this was the place to ask, but it is, so here we go:

I'm trying to secure tickets to KIX (Kansai International Airport // Osaka, Japan) for myself and my mother from DTW (Detroit) this winter, from December 11th to January 3rd. The dates are flexible, airlines are flexible (I have about 36,500 miles with Delta's Gold Card thing, but apparently I need 250k miles to afford a ticket :v: not sure if that affects anything).

I've been watching prices like a hawk, but they all seem to hover around about 1700 to 1800 per person round trip. I went by myself last year and got a ticket for about 1350, and had my fiance fly over from there to here for about 1550 this past summer.

My question is, even though there's no real pattern or rule to buying tickets, is there a possibility it'll drop down to 1300/1400 before December 11th? I keep the IPA matrix site open at all times and refresh the search about once every two hours, but haven't seen it go lower (only higher) and I'm afraid if I don't buy now the prices won't get better.

Thanks again for this thread, it's been really helpful. :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rafzakael posted:

Hi! Wasn't sure if this was the place to ask, but it is, so here we go:

I'm trying to secure tickets to KIX (Kansai International Airport // Osaka, Japan) for myself and my mother from DTW (Detroit) this winter, from December 11th to January 3rd. The dates are flexible, airlines are flexible (I have about 36,500 miles with Delta's Gold Card thing, but apparently I need 250k miles to afford a ticket :v: not sure if that affects anything).

I've been watching prices like a hawk, but they all seem to hover around about 1700 to 1800 per person round trip. I went by myself last year and got a ticket for about 1350, and had my fiance fly over from there to here for about 1550 this past summer.

My question is, even though there's no real pattern or rule to buying tickets, is there a possibility it'll drop down to 1300/1400 before December 11th? I keep the IPA matrix site open at all times and refresh the search about once every two hours, but haven't seen it go lower (only higher) and I'm afraid if I don't buy now the prices won't get better.

Thanks again for this thread, it's been really helpful. :)

It is absolutely the correct place to ask. :)

You're right in that tickets to KIX out of DTW are hovering in the $1500 to $1700 range. Flights to NRT are not much cheaper and then you have to deal with the cost of getting to KIX via another flight or train from there, thus negating any savings.

What I would do in your shoes is look at booking two tickets, one to get you to the west coast and then one for the TPAC flights. This does create what is called an unprotected connection, in that you have two separate tickets so the airline doesn't hold responsibility from getting you from start to finish per their Contract of Carriage, but if you book a wide enough connecting window, you'll be fine.

Assuming you're interested in going that route, you can do LAX-HND-KIX on the way out and KIX-SFO-LAX on the way back for $902 round trip. You then have to get from DTW (or a nearby airport like FNT) to LAX at a price point that makes it worth it to go this route. Currently I see FNT-ORD-LAX on AA and then LAX-DEN-DTW on F9 (Frontier) for $374, which brings you to a grand total of $1275 for the trip, saving you a couple hundred bucks over the DTW-KIX market fare.

The DTW-LAX fares are far more likely to change by a significant amount than DTW-KIX is, so you could ostensibly gamble with the domestic leg and see if the price drops a decent amount to save more while going ahead and securing the $902 TPAC fare immediately. The value of that depends entirely on your risk appetite.

Edit: Doh, forgot dates. That was 12/8-12/31.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 14, 2013

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mackieman posted:

It is absolutely the correct place to ask. :)

You're right in that tickets to KIX out of DTW are hovering in the $1500 to $1700 range. Flights to NRT are not much cheaper and then you have to deal with the cost of getting to KIX via another flight or train from there, thus negating any savings.

What I would do in your shoes is look at booking two tickets, one to get you to the west coast and then one for the TPAC flights. This does create what is called an unprotected connection, in that you have two separate tickets so the airline doesn't hold responsibility from getting you from start to finish per their Contract of Carriage, but if you book a wide enough connecting window, you'll be fine.

Assuming you're interested in going that route, you can do LAX-HND-KIX on the way out and KIX-SFO-LAX on the way back for $902 round trip. You then have to get from DTW (or a nearby airport like FNT) to LAX at a price point that makes it worth it to go this route. Currently I see FNT-ORD-LAX on AA and then LAX-DEN-DTW on F9 (Frontier) for $374, which brings you to a grand total of $1275 for the trip, saving you a couple hundred bucks over the DTW-KIX market fare.

The DTW-LAX fares are far more likely to change by a significant amount than DTW-KIX is, so you could ostensibly gamble with the domestic leg and see if the price drops a decent amount to save more while going ahead and securing the $902 TPAC fare immediately. The value of that depends entirely on your risk appetite.

Edit: Doh, forgot dates. That was 12/8-12/31.

I hadn't even considered doing the split route thing. This makes it much more manageable, thank you for the quick reply!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Rafzakael posted:

I hadn't even considered doing the split route thing. This makes it much more manageable, thank you for the quick reply!

You could also drive to Chicago and do this:
Depart at 0655 on 12/8 from ORD->SFO on UA1199, connect to SFO->KIX on UA885, total trip time ~18 hrs
Return at 1820 on 12/31 from KIX->SFO on UA 886, connect to SFO->ORD on UA698, total trip time ~16 hrs

All this for $1,387.

Obviously you'll have to factor in gas money, parking, and drive time, but it strips out a lot of the other flights and preserves your Contract of Carriage.

Here's my skyscanner search: http://www.skyscanner.com/flights/chia/kix/131208/131231/airfares-from-chicago-to-osaka-kansai-international-in-december-2013.html?crty=1

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You could also take Amtrak from Detroit to Chicago and save the hassle of parking your car in Chicago for that long. The Amtrak Wolverine has 3 daily trips between Detroit and Chicago.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FISHMANPET posted:

You could also take Amtrak from Detroit to Chicago and save the hassle of parking your car in Chicago for that long. The Amtrak Wolverine has 3 daily trips between Detroit and Chicago.

This is true, although I would caution that the Wolverine has a habit of getting delayed in northwest Indiana, so make sure you aren't cutting it close with your trip

e: Also, what is a more disappointing way to follow up the wonderful experience of taking Japanese trains: taking Amtrak, or driving on the interstate? Neither comes close to measuring up to the shinkansen. :smith:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you fly the international leg on ANA or JAL, they'll give you the domestic connection for JPY 10,000 (USD 100). You might have to take the JPY 3000 bus to connect airports.

Check if that price vs flying direct to KIX. ANA flies Chicago - Narita direct.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Nice Davis posted:

This is true, although I would caution that the Wolverine has a habit of getting delayed in northwest Indiana, so make sure you aren't cutting it close with your trip

e: Also, what is a more disappointing way to follow up the wonderful experience of taking Japanese trains: taking Amtrak, or driving on the interstate? Neither comes close to measuring up to the shinkansen. :smith:

Hasn't that route been upgraded to run at 110 MPH in some places? Though still no comparison.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Nice Davis posted:

Both are pretty depressing. :smith:

I actually managed to secure a flight from LAX to KIX connecting through Narita for 1,050, which wasn't bad at all and fit our dates perfectly (despite not being cheapest, turns out our dates weren't as flexible as we thought). We're eyeing tickets to LAX now, and I've seen them drop really low before so I'm fairly confident I got a cheaper deal then just buying a direct DTW-KIX flight. Thanks everyone, again!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rafzakael posted:

Both are pretty depressing. :smith:

I actually managed to secure a flight from LAX to KIX connecting through Narita for 1,050, which wasn't bad at all and fit our dates perfectly (despite not being cheapest, turns out our dates weren't as flexible as we thought). We're eyeing tickets to LAX now, and I've seen them drop really low before so I'm fairly confident I got a cheaper deal then just buying a direct DTW-KIX flight. Thanks everyone, again!

Glad you got something that works. :cool:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman I forget if I asked you but do you have any recommendations on travel insurance? I have 2 very complex award tickets coming up and I would like to have it covered in case of any fuckery on the multiple airlines involved and specifically with luggage

Do you even recommend getting it?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Mackieman I forget if I asked you but do you have any recommendations on travel insurance? I have 2 very complex award tickets coming up and I would like to have it covered in case of any fuckery on the multiple airlines involved and specifically with luggage

Do you even recommend getting it?

I don't personally use it but I know people who do; Amex Travel and Travelex both have fairly decent coverage. You should also check to see if the credit card you paid for the tickets with carries any coverage. In all cases, read the fine print so that you know what is and what is not covered and at what point certain coverages kick in.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 18, 2013

Rock Wallaby
Dec 21, 2008

I'm going from Halifax, Canada (YHZ) to Paris at the end of February for about four weeks (the departure and return are flexible) and the best I'm seeing is about $800. Does anyone know of a better deal?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

I don't personally use it but I know people who do; Amex Travel and Travelex both have fairly decent coverage. You should also check to see if the credit card you paid for the tickets with carries any coverage. In all cases, read the fine print so that you know what is and what is not covered and at what point certain coverages kick in.

Yeah. I never do either but the taxes paid on the award tickets don't cover the value of any one leg and with 13 flights over 24 days i want to make sure were covered. I'm just overly nervous and don't want anything to be messed up from luggage to misconnects loving up fairly expensive hotels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

$800 is a great deal for a trans-Atlantic flight, don't get greedy.