Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

This is my trip outside North America, what should I anticipate? I’m used to getting my free upgrades to comfort plus on Delta.

If you fly on Delta I believe you still get the upgrade to comfort plus, otherwise nothing.

Flight arrival time is always in local time, i.e. the time at the place of arrival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Does anyone here have experience with AirAsia? Online reviews says they're the best of a bad set but hahaha online reviews. The last time I flew a budget airline it was with China Eastern and it was absolutely terrible, spent all my time waiting to check-in instead of exploring the airports.

I could also go with ANA instead, I usually do EVA Air but it seems like they straight-up have no flights from Singapore to Sapporo flights that doesn't have a 12-hour overnight layover. Basically I don't mind paying a little more for sanity if I have to.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
AirAsia is definitely a budget airline and if you're willing to pay more for ANA it will be a better experience.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

HookShot posted:

AirAsia is definitely a budget airline and if you're willing to pay more for ANA it will be a better experience.

China Eastern was my first brush with a budget airline and I was hoping not all budget airlines feature a check-in time so long you can literally miss your flight if you didn't queue up as soon as the counter opens. :eng99:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

china eastern is not a budget airline

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Reallycoolname posted:

China Eastern was my first brush with a budget airline and I was hoping not all budget airlines feature a check-in time so long you can literally miss your flight if you didn't queue up as soon as the counter opens. :eng99:

As Jeoh notes, China Eastern is not a budget airline. The economy check in desks have queues like that because it is a Chinese airline.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
In Asia, have budget airlines not all moved to online check-in? That's how it's been moving in Europe for the past few years at least, thank god. I guess the cost of staffing people at the check-in counters was higher than the amount of money they got by charging absurd check-in-luggage fees for carryon-sized bags that go over the weight limit.

Maybe that's a Swiss-specific thing though, where I can guarantee the costs of staffing one person at the check-in is far greater than they'll ever make up in forced carryon fees. At Chinese wages I guess the 'gently caress you for having a carryon bag heavier than 5 kg' charges are probably higher than staff salaries.

E: lol that reminds me, a friend of mine recently flew China to Thailand on some lovely lowcost carrier and got this great story:

"Spring Airlines... similar letters to Spirit and worse! Flying from Thailand to China, baggage charges are 450 baht per kg after 15kg... they weigh total baggage- checked in, carry on, and deep anger. For 2 of us, we can take 30kg. We had 69.5! in Baht the heart attack translated to 550 USD (15K baht). Through a loophole and great fortune, we were able to use the extra capacity of others and found two nice families to let us piggyback on their load. Caveat emptor!!!"

I'd never, ever heard of carry-on bags being weighed together with checked-in baggage to get to weight allowances.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 6, 2019

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saladman posted:

In Asia, have budget airlines not all moved to online check-in? That's how it's been moving in Europe for the past few years at least, thank god. I guess the cost of staffing people at the check-in counters was higher than the amount of money they got by charging absurd check-in-luggage fees for carryon-sized bags that go over the weight limit.

Maybe that's a Swiss-specific thing though, where I can guarantee the costs of staffing one person at the check-in is far greater than they'll ever make up in forced carryon fees. At Chinese wages I guess the 'gently caress you for having a carryon bag heavier than 5 kg' charges are probably higher than staff salaries.

E: lol that reminds me, a friend of mine recently flew China to Thailand on some lovely lowcost carrier and got this great story:

"Spring Airlines... similar letters to Spirit and worse! Flying from Thailand to China, baggage charges are 450 baht per kg after 15kg... they weigh total baggage- checked in, carry on, and deep anger. For 2 of us, we can take 30kg. We had 69.5! in Baht the heart attack translated to 550 USD (15K baht). Through a loophole and great fortune, we were able to use the extra capacity of others and found two nice families to let us piggyback on their load. Caveat emptor!!!"

I'd never, ever heard of carry-on bags being weighed together with checked-in baggage to get to weight allowances.

#china

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Yeah, I'm never taking any China-based airline again. I'm pretty certain the cabin wasn't even properly pressurized because I started having a killer headache when we were climbing.

To be fair, the cabin crew themselves were cool, it was the management on ground level that blew rear end.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Reallycoolname posted:

Does anyone here have experience with AirAsia? Online reviews says they're the best of a bad set but hahaha online reviews. The last time I flew a budget airline it was with China Eastern and it was absolutely terrible, spent all my time waiting to check-in instead of exploring the airports.

I could also go with ANA instead, I usually do EVA Air but it seems like they straight-up have no flights from Singapore to Sapporo flights that doesn't have a 12-hour overnight layover. Basically I don't mind paying a little more for sanity if I have to.
I flew AirAsia between Taiwan, Thailand, and Indonesia semi-regularly in the 2012-2014 timeframe. Back then they played loud party music (think Pitbull) in the cabin during boarding, it was pretty lit especially for midnight flights. Basically it was cheap and everything looked / felt cheap, kind of garish, but they got the job done when I was close to broke.

On the other hand, I have taken ANA between North America and Japan / Taiwan on two round trips now. It's always been on the more affordable end of mainstream carriers for me, and the service has been pretty nice. Meals were uniformly excellent and it's the only time I can remember still having metal tableware in international economy. They're probably my favorite trans-pacific carrier. Easily comparable to EVA I would say, very good value. Also ANA and EVA are both Star Alliance if you care about that sort of thing at all.

Basically,

HookShot posted:

gloom fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 13, 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Last year, I went on my first real international trip (Canada doesn't count) to Malawi with a few friends to visit another couple living there. It was a crazy experience.

Anyway, I was persuaded by one of the other travelers to get a Chase Sapphire Reserve card before booking that trip. At this point, I'm up to about 113k Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

That same buddy is going on a big trip to Japan, and he told me recently that he was able to use 120,000 Chase points to get a first-class ANA ticket both ways for free (not counting the ~$200 in taxes). I assumed he had jumped on some kind of crazy mistake fare or whatever, since that's a huge amount of points but first-class is always ridiculously expensive, and he told me it's actually a standing offer that they have going. He also said it was one of the most famous deals like that in the ~~~travel points game~~~, but that was the only one that he was specifically familiar with.

What other great standing round-trip deals do folks here know? I figure that almost any destination would be easier than Malawi, so I'm open to anything.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 19, 2019

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

surf rock posted:

Last year, I went on my first real international trip (Canada doesn't count) to Malawi with a few friends to visit another couple living there. It was a crazy experience.

Anyway, I was persuaded by one of the other travelers to get a Chase Sapphire Reserve card before booking that trip. At this point, I'm up to about 113k Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

That same buddy is going on a big trip to Japan, and he told me recently that he was able to use 120,000 Chase points to get a first-class ANA ticket both ways for free (not counting the ~$200 in taxes). I assumed he had jumped on some kind of crazy mistake fare or whatever, since that's a huge amount of points but first-class is always ridiculously expensive, and he told me it's actually a standing offer that they have going. He also said it was one of the most famous deals like that in the ~~~travel points game~~~, but that was the only one that he was specifically familiar with.

What other great standing round-trip deals do folks here know? I figure that almost any destination would be easier than Malawi, so I'm open to anything.

The difference here (likely) is between transferring those points to a Chase partner (like United) and booking an award seat versus using the points through the Chase travel portal as cash against a ticket. Yes, buying an F ticket on ANA is going to be stupid expensive and thus cost a shitload of points to do it that way. However, if there is award availability, you can (and should) stretch the points much further. Using points as cash is almost always a bad value and should be avoided.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, question about TSA Precheck. One of the benefits is that you don't have to take your jacket off and so it generally sounds like the screening is a little lighter than for regular passengers, however the TSA won't guarantee anything to keep the terrorists off guard.

I recently got a medical device that I can't go through the backscatter machines with, but I can go through a metal detector. However I took a trip last week for the first time, and both there and back I got to get very intimate with a TSA agent doing a full body pat down. If I get Precheck is there a better chance they'll just let me through the metal detector? It's hard to really figure out what the benefits are beyond a different (shorter) line to go through security.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Do you fly internationally often? Get it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not internationally, but I've taken 2 trips this year already, and at least 2 more this year alone. Then again Global Entry is only $15 more than Precheck, and it includes Precheck. There's also NEXUS which expedites customs when traveling to or from Canada, which also inclues Precheck, and that's only $50, so cheaper than Precheck and you get more than Precheck. Feels like there's a loophole there I'm missing.

Ahha found the loophole, I live in Minnesota but I'd basically have to go to the Canadian border to apply, driving 5 or 6 hours one way to one of the two enrollment locations.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 9, 2019

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Do you actually need anything when you do TSA precheck / global entry? Like the card they send you in the mail is only for land and sea borders with Canada and Mexico and I don't actually need it after I've activated it online, right? Not that I'll toss it, but I don't want to carry it if I don't have to.

Do they just scan my passport at the entry to the TSApre part of the line, and then let me through, or do I need something else? I finally got final approval and my card in the mail last week, almost exactly 7 months after starting the application. My wife is still waiting for her "conditional approval". Not sure how much this delay is relevant or not to whether you're a US citizen or of one of the other countries that they allow to get Global Entry/TSApre. Maybe it's faster for US citizens living in the US.

E: They also only send the card to US addresses, which was fun when I got to the interview. Like... I don't live in the US, and they allow a whole bunch of non-US nationalities to apply for this and make no mention of residence anywhere on the application process. Fortunately I was able to get it sent to someone's address in the US who picked it up for me, but I could imagine that's totally up to the border officer's discretion. It also means you'd need a close friend in the US to apply for the card if you don't live in the US? Kind of odd, maybe there is some other workaround.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 9, 2019

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
For precheck, you should enter your known traveler id in the relevant box when buying your airfare. It then shows up on your boarding pass for the TSA agent to check. When there isn't a separate precheck line, they give you a card that allows you to go through a normal metal detector and such.

For global entry you don't need anything at all, just get in the global entry line with your passport.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 9, 2019

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

TheEye posted:

For precheck, you should enter your known traveler id in the relevant box when buying your airfare. It then shows up on your boarding pass for the TSA agent to check. When there isn't a separate precheck line, they give you a card that allows you to go through a normal metal detector and such.

For global entry you don't need anything at all, just get in the global entry line with your passport.

Thanks!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

By the way, your known traveler id also shows up on the boarding passes of anyone you're traveling with if you buy their ticket along with yours. You can get non-precheck family members into the precheck line this way.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Its a good idea to bring your card with you just in case. I have global entry but sometimes TSA precheck doesn’t get applied to my ticket. If you show them the global entry card when they give you your boarding pass, they’ll fix it in a few seconds. If you don’t have it with you, you get stuck in the long line.

You won’t need it for skipping through customs though; Your fingerprints and passport are enough for that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Not internationally, but I've taken 2 trips this year already, and at least 2 more this year alone. Then again Global Entry is only $15 more than Precheck, and it includes Precheck. There's also NEXUS which expedites customs when traveling to or from Canada, which also inclues Precheck, and that's only $50, so cheaper than Precheck and you get more than Precheck. Feels like there's a loophole there I'm missing.

Ahha found the loophole, I live in Minnesota but I'd basically have to go to the Canadian border to apply, driving 5 or 6 hours one way to one of the two enrollment locations.

Yeah, that's the catch with NEXUS. You get GE and Precheck with it, but must do your interview in Canada or on the border with Canada.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Saladman posted:

Do you actually need anything when you do TSA precheck / global entry? Like the card they send you in the mail is only for land and sea borders with Canada and Mexico and I don't actually need it after I've activated it online, right? Not that I'll toss it, but I don't want to carry it if I don't have to.

Do they just scan my passport at the entry to the TSApre part of the line, and then let me through, or do I need something else? I finally got final approval and my card in the mail last week, almost exactly 7 months after starting the application. My wife is still waiting for her "conditional approval". Not sure how much this delay is relevant or not to whether you're a US citizen or of one of the other countries that they allow to get Global Entry/TSApre. Maybe it's faster for US citizens living in the US.

E: They also only send the card to US addresses, which was fun when I got to the interview. Like... I don't live in the US, and they allow a whole bunch of non-US nationalities to apply for this and make no mention of residence anywhere on the application process. Fortunately I was able to get it sent to someone's address in the US who picked it up for me, but I could imagine that's totally up to the border officer's discretion. It also means you'd need a close friend in the US to apply for the card if you don't live in the US? Kind of odd, maybe there is some other workaround.
There might be some variations in the process between countries. I’m a US citizen living in Canada. I completed my application and interview here, and had my GE card mailed here no problem. Even with the known traveler number on my boarding pass, I’ve been asked for my card a number of times on my way through security to board US bound flights (but not every time, so I can’t figure out what’s up). I’ve never needed to show it when departing from a US airport.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

gloom posted:

There might be some variations in the process between countries. I’m a US citizen living in Canada. I completed my application and interview here, and had my GE card mailed here no problem. Even with the known traveler number on my boarding pass, I’ve been asked for my card a number of times on my way through security to board US bound flights (but not every time, so I can’t figure out what’s up). I’ve never needed to show it when departing from a US airport.

Huh, maybe it was because I did interview on arrival? They wouldn't send it to Switzerland. Good to know re: card, guess I'll just stick it in my luggage... whenever I actually get it. I guess I'll have to have it sent to me so it doesn't sit abandoned in someone's kitchen drawers of forgotten poo poo.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
IIRC you need to confirm receipt of the card, and will get sent to secondary if your card isn't confirmed. My card was activated, my friends was not. That may be a special NEXUS thing though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

IIRC you need to confirm receipt of the card, and will get sent to secondary if your card isn't confirmed. My card was activated, my friends was not. That may be a special NEXUS thing though.

Yeah, that's right. I just got a photo of it so I could use the number to activate it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So Precheck and Global Entry are good and for such a low cost (I thought GE was like hundreds per year not $20 per year) I'd probably be a fool not to get them remotely. But back to the original question, I found this on the TSA "Disabilities and Medical Conditions" page and selecting "Insulin Pumps & Glucose Monitors" (my device is a glucose monitor that the manufacturer says can't go through the backscatter machine but can go through a metal detector).

quote:

if you are eligible for expedited screening, you may be screened by a walk-through metal detector.
That's under standard screening, but TSA Precheck doesn't say anything about "expedited screening" (but Precheck IS expedited screening?) So basically I'm trying to figure out if Precheck will make it more likely that they'll let me go through the metal detector instead of doing a pat-down when I tell them I can't use the backscatter machine.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The metal detector is the default for any precheck line I've been in. If you alarm the metal detector they might ask you to go to the backscatter. That's when you can tell them about the device.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
If it really is an issue with only the x-ray backscatter machines, TSA pulled them out in favor of millimeter-wave scanners years ago.

The standard both for full precheck and "precheck light" (sometimes used at checkpoints without a dedicated precheck line) is the metal detector. They can direct you to the millimeter-wave scanner (though rarely do but more likely with "precheck light") and if you refuse then you'll need to be subjected to the full-body search.

Precheck lets you keep your jacket, (most) belts and shoes on, and electronics and your bag of liquids can stay in your bag in addition to using the metal detector. Note that you need to be traveling on an airline that supports it and your known traveller number needs to be associated with your reservation, either directly or in your frequent flyer profile. You also need to make sure the name and other details you provide when signing up for Precheck/GE/NEXUS/SENTRI match your reservation and your identification. This bit me since my passport had my middle name and my FF account didn't and so I wasn't getting Precheck on my boarding pass at first after signing up for GE. Even if you have your card they aren't supposed to let you into the Precheck line if the boarding pass doesn't have it printed on it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK read more closely and I was just calling all the new machines "back scatter" but they explicitly say metal detector or pat down are acceptable, anything else, such as AITs like the millimeter wave scanner, are to be avoided.

But good to know that the pre check line has a higher likely hood of allowing me to go through the Xray machine.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Has anyone made a reservation for Singapore Airlines without having a passport? I am planning a big family trip and three of the people do not have their passport in the mail yet. I’ve seen online that people just put in a random number for the passport number and when their passport came they were able to change the number online. I imagine the check in agent can change it at the counter anyways if the numbers dont match, just as long as the passport name matches the ticket.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've updated birthdays after purchase, but that was on a domestic airline

As long as you're not trying to change the flight time or destination, you should be ok, I would guess. I wouldn't do it the day-of the flight though

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Buying a ticket and then changing / renewing your passport is fine (you just have to update the info) so I imagine it’s all fine as long as their passport comes before they travel and is in the same name that you bought the ticket. Could maybe be an issue if their name is not in Latin letters which is often a hassle eg for Arabic names.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks friends. Ill make the flights and then either call or try and change it on the website when the final people get their passports in the mail.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Looking to book 2 tickets to Ireland in September. Currently looking at PHL->DUB on 9/20 and SNN->PHL return on 9/27.

I'm about to reach AA gold status (oneworld Ruby) and considering it looks like our best option is on AA, trying to make sure I get whatever benefits I can out of it but not sure how exactly they work. Looking through most sites of Google Flights, AA, etc I'm seeing to have regular economy (not basic) it's like $526/person. When I look on Hipmunk it's giving me an offer through JustFly that's Finnair marketed but AA operated for same flights and looks like it's only $453/person for regular economy. Am I missing something here or am I losing out on anything of choosing seats, getting some AA miles/credit, etc. for doing the JustFly one vs from AA directly or wherever Google Flights was directing me?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Joose Caboose posted:

Looking to book 2 tickets to Ireland in September. Currently looking at PHL->DUB on 9/20 and SNN->PHL return on 9/27.

I'm about to reach AA gold status (oneworld Ruby) and considering it looks like our best option is on AA, trying to make sure I get whatever benefits I can out of it but not sure how exactly they work. Looking through most sites of Google Flights, AA, etc I'm seeing to have regular economy (not basic) it's like $526/person. When I look on Hipmunk it's giving me an offer through JustFly that's Finnair marketed but AA operated for same flights and looks like it's only $453/person for regular economy. Am I missing something here or am I losing out on anything of choosing seats, getting some AA miles/credit, etc. for doing the JustFly one vs from AA directly or wherever Google Flights was directing me?

If you actually click through with JustFly, does it actually sell them for $453/person? I've never heard of JustFly, but it's not unheard of for sites like that to "forget" to add taxes or something until the very end right when you're putting in your credit card details.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saladman posted:

If you actually click through with JustFly, does it actually sell them for $453/person? I've never heard of JustFly, but it's not unheard of for sites like that to "forget" to add taxes or something until the very end right when you're putting in your credit card details.

Yup, I don't see that fare elsewhere so I bet there's something funky and it's not real.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Origin: SEA
Destination: AGS or ATL
Duration of trip with dates: Either after 6pm PDT on 8/29 or as early as possible 8/30 to 9/2. Returning some time late that evening PDT would be great.
Flexibility: zip. Sorry :(

All we're running into is $450-$500. Which seems Really high considering we're trying to nail redeyes.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Duration of trip with dates: Either after 6pm PDT on 8/29 or as early as possible 8/30 to 9/2. Returning some time late that evening PDT would be great.

All we're running into is $450-$500. Which seems Really high considering we're trying to nail redeyes.

That's in summer, it's on Labor Day weekend, and it's like a 5.5 hour flight from Seattle to Atlanta -- so $450 sounds about right. I see a pretty miserable flight on United for $372 that leaves 7am Friday (8/30), arrives 9pm Friday, then departs 10:40am Monday, arrives 6:30pm Monday. I'd pay the extra $80 to not have the layover in SFO and additional 4 hours of travel time each way, but I guess if you're paying for like 4 tickets it might be worth the suffering.

If you're not flexible on dates or destination, and you're traveling on a holiday weekend in summer, there's really not a lot you can do except pray for a sale (good luck!), unless you can buy the ticket with points.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Saladman posted:

That's in summer, it's on Labor Day weekend, and it's like a 5.5 hour flight from Seattle to Atlanta -- so $450 sounds about right. I see a pretty miserable flight on United for $372 that leaves 7am Friday (8/30), arrives 9pm Friday, then departs 10:40am Monday, arrives 6:30pm Monday. I'd pay the extra $80 to not have the layover in SFO and additional 4 hours of travel time each way, but I guess if you're paying for like 4 tickets it might be worth the suffering.

If you're not flexible on dates or destination, and you're traveling on a holiday weekend in summer, there's really not a lot you can do except pray for a sale (good luck!), unless you can buy the ticket with points.

:smith: Can't be flexible, no other option. Seems the husband is likely not going to get to come visit, then. We'll see if we can pull it somehow just, yeesh. Big city to big city used to be cheaper. Not these days. Thank you so much though Saladbro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's exactly what I would expect for that distance. I would prioritize time over money in this situation.