Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

theHUNGERian posted:

This, with a wake-up call/knock on the door. Even if my flight is at 10am, I'll stay in an airport hotel the night before because driving through LA and then doing the whole airport parking thing is risky.

Edit: How bad is it to do a package deal through expedia? For my Hawaii vacations, I would typically rent through vrbo and purchase my flight and rental car through expedia. However, next year's trip will be to Guam, and the vrbo options are lousy, while Expedia offers some savings ($500+, I think) when combining hotel and flight. I don't mind the extra cost of a checked bag. Also, is there any way to add travel protection in case I have to cancel the trip? Expedia explicitly says that the hotel cost is not refundable. :(

It is extremely rare in my experience to find these combo deals as significantly cheaper than what you can book separately on your own, especially with airfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Mackieman posted:

It is extremely rare in my experience to find these combo deals as significantly cheaper than what you can book separately on your own, especially with airfare.

Thanks, I already booked the trip a few days ago and found an option that includes cancellation. Not that I think I'll need it, but with North Korea sperging around you never know.

This vacation should be legendary!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My return flight through LAX got bumped from 6:30 to 8:30, leaving me with 90 minutes for a domestic-to-international transfer with huge suitcases and two kids who are too small to help with much.
Can anyone give me recent hope about checking bags through? About departure immigration in general? I usually fly through SFO, but it's been 3 years since I visited the US.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

peanut posted:

My return flight through LAX got bumped from 6:30 to 8:30, leaving me with 90 minutes for a domestic-to-international transfer with huge suitcases and two kids who are too small to help with much.
Can anyone give me recent hope about checking bags through? About departure immigration in general? I usually fly through SFO, but it's been 3 years since I visited the US.

The US doesn’t have departure immigration, and if your flight are on the same reservation and same airline/airline alliance, bags will be automatically checked through.

On the way back into the US you’ll need to grab your bags at the first US airport and take them through customs (and then drop them off right past customs at the bag drop there for that purpose)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Even with your bags being checked all the way through 90 minutes to go from domestic to international at LAX is probably going to be iffy. I've spent 90 minutes JUST in the line to get through security. LAX is the worst loving airport known to man, it's worse than CDG.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

Even with your bags being checked all the way through 90 minutes to go from domestic to international at LAX is probably going to be iffy. I've spent 90 minutes JUST in the line to get through security. LAX is the worst loving airport known to man, it's worse than CDG.

If you're in a rush and especially if you also have children, you can just ask the security to push you to the front of the line and they probably will (at least IME). Especially for a flight like LAX to Narita where missing the flight probably means an overnight wait (?) for the next flight.

Also and/or you can pay for the fast pass system. Yeah otherwise 90 minutes would be tight, and you're totally screwed if your flight to LA is late.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

HookShot posted:

OP is on American Eagle domestically. It should be possible to stay airside and not pass through security. That flight will go most likely to the American Eagle remote terminal. From there they’ll need to take the bus to T5, walk over to T4 via the T4/T5/T6 tunnel, and take the connector from T4 to TBIT. I’ve never done this walk, but it seems doable. Doable with kids in the time listed, especially if you have a carry-on that gets valet checked due to being too big for a regional jet’s bins and you have to wait for after deplaning... :shrug:

A 2-hour schedule change is significant. There’s a 6:45am SJC-LAX flight you could call up and ask to be moved to since the schedule change doesn’t work for you. The later 8:52am flight still meets the minimum connection time requirements so it’s a bit iffy if they’ll make the change since your arrival time in NRT doesn’t change. If one agent says no, call back and try a different agent. AA agents aren’t well-known for consistently applying policy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I was on the 6:45 and they autobumped me and sent a notification email. I might try calling about getting a longer transfer time, but I'm not expecting much for discount tickets and no member's card. It sounds like I just have to mamabear my way through and demand assistance.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’ll offer up that you’ll be fine, especially with the airside connection to TBIT. They also know you’re connecting. I would have no concerns flying out of SJC. If it was SFO then yeah. But looking at flight history, it rarely runs late and early April should have good weather at LAX.

HookShot posted:

. LAX is the worst loving airport known to man, it's worse than CDG.

Depends on the terminals, I can’t speak to 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 but Eagles nest sucks but TBIT / 4 / 5 are fine now.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 6, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah, my ticket deal required a change at LAX both ways :nutshot: My family lives in Mountain View, black hole of traffic congestion, so San Jose is a little less horrible for pick-up.
I feel more confident now! Next problem: how to readjust to tipping and huge portions.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
PS, if you do want more time, you can call American up and ask to be switched to AA6059, which looks like has space for you if you so choose. It departs at 6:45am and arrives at 8:27am.

AA 6059 0 SJC
04/04/18 6:45 AM LAX
04/04/18 8:27 AM E75
Daily
J7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O3

But since you are taking a SJC flight instead of SFO, you are probably not going to be delayed from SJC to LAX. I've done the T5 to Bradley walk before, and while it is long you do not go back through security and should be fine.

*edit* and now you know what I face every loving time I go to Japan, since there are never, ever deals between SFO and Tokyo ever. So I end up always flying through LAX.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I also get to bus NRT-HND to get my domestic flight to Matsuyama. It must be an easy route that they use to train new pilots because last time we rode a totally overkill dreamliner for the 50 minute flight.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I guess there wasnt a deal for the LAX to HND flight on AA then :(

Personally I like JAL the most of every airline, but I keep taking ANA because that midnight flight from LAX is really convenient.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Semi-off topic for this thread, but what happens if you buy two tickets together, but one of the passengers can no longer make the flight? Will I get a free seat next to me on the outbound flight, but on the inbound flight 15 days later they might have sold that seat (since the ticket would have been cancelled due to the person not showing up for outbound)? The ticket is non-refundable and non-transferrable, and purchased 6 months ago with a large sale on Angola Airlines so I doubt they'll do me any special favors, but it's a 7 hour flight followed by a 3.5 hour flight so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have an extra seat next to me.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Saladman posted:

Semi-off topic for this thread, but what happens if you buy two tickets together, but one of the passengers can no longer make the flight? Will I get a free seat next to me on the outbound flight, but on the inbound flight 15 days later they might have sold that seat (since the ticket would have been cancelled due to the person not showing up for outbound)? The ticket is non-refundable and non-transferrable, and purchased 6 months ago with a large sale on Angola Airlines so I doubt they'll do me any special favors, but it's a 7 hour flight followed by a 3.5 hour flight so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have an extra seat next to me.

This just happened to me, and no they will put someone else in the seat next to you, especially if you didn't reserve the seats.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I asked about using Chase Ultimate Rewards points for a trip to Australia several months ago, but it turns out that won't be happening this year. It looks like we'll instead be going to Thailand this summer (during the rainy season), from New York. At first glance it looks like fares during this time are not expensive enough to give a good return on points, but there's definitely a lot I don't know about making good use of them. Am I correct?

I'll probably only have the Sapphire Reserve until March, and I'm really struggling to find any way to use the points (currently around 145k) besides through the Chase portal for 1.5 cents each.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

New York to Bangkok, $2000/person is reasonable and $1500/person is a deal (hotels and food and transportation is cheap af) so if you can get cheaper than that, go for it.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

peanut posted:

New York to Bangkok, $2000/person is reasonable and $1500/person is a deal (hotels and food and transportation is cheap af) so if you can get cheaper than that, go for it.

So, uh... $800 on Korean Air... ?

Guess it would be stupid to use points on that, as I suspected. It's a lot harder to get rid of them than I thought when applying for the 100k points last year.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Do it buddy! Incheon is a great airport and Korean airlines is p good except for the beer and scream sneezing old men.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
This is my first time to plan a flight to Europe from the USA (DFW) and discouraged by the current prices. This would be an open-jaw trip DFW-PRG then ZRH back to DFW at the end of June/First of July. Prices are roughly $1400-$1600+ currently. Am I still too far out to book at a more reasonable price or are these prices accurate and most likely won't drop much in another month or two?

Also, is there one airlines/plane type that I want to look for? Seems Lufthansa or SWISS is preferred to the American carriers?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mdh1975 posted:

This is my first time to plan a flight to Europe from the USA (DFW) and discouraged by the current prices. This would be an open-jaw trip DFW-PRG then ZRH back to DFW at the end of June/First of July. Prices are roughly $1400-$1600+ currently. Am I still too far out to book at a more reasonable price or are these prices accurate and most likely won't drop much in another month or two?

Also, is there one airlines/plane type that I want to look for? Seems Lufthansa or SWISS is preferred to the American carriers?

Prices between late June and late August are pretty nuts unfortunately, and paying 1.5x the price of outside-those-two-months tickets is pretty standard. If you reaaaally need to save money you can try to fly to somewhere in Europe that does lots of budget international flights (particularly Dublin, Oslo, Copenhagen) and then book separate tickets from there to wherever you want to go. That can be a huge pain in the rear end, but looking at your general itinerary it looks like DFW->Dublin ;; Dublin -> Prague (LLC);; Zurich -> Dublin ; Dublin -> DFW could save you around $300-$500. That's only if you can and are willing to travel on Monday and Tuesday, e.g. if you really want to return on a Sunday then you're SOL.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes that's a normal and good price, and you will be even more flustered after you start pricing hotels in Prague.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I got an email from American saying that I have 34,565 miles with them. The last time I looked in to this I had ~20,000 miles and that was enough to qualify me for a trip to Venezuela from Dallas. So I called American and basically got the phone equivalent of an eye roll and told that no I couldn't book a ticket there, and no real good explanation. So I've basically ignored my miles as something unusuable for the last 5 years.

I have a trip coming up soon that is probably going to put another 1500-2000 miles putting me at ~36,000 miles.

So looking at this chart it says I can fly from contiental 48 states to Europe for 22,000 miles: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/flight-award-chart.jsp so long as I am not in their blackout dates?

Or you can fly to ecuador for 17,500 miles, could I transfer some miles to my girlfriend and we both fly for free as long as we avoid blackout dates?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

I got an email from American saying that I have 34,565 miles with them. The last time I looked in to this I had ~20,000 miles and that was enough to qualify me for a trip to Venezuela from Dallas. So I called American and basically got the phone equivalent of an eye roll and told that no I couldn't book a ticket there, and no real good explanation. So I've basically ignored my miles as something unusuable for the last 5 years.

I have a trip coming up soon that is probably going to put another 1500-2000 miles putting me at ~36,000 miles.

So looking at this chart it says I can fly from contiental 48 states to Europe for 22,000 miles: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/flight-award-chart.jsp so long as I am not in their blackout dates?

Or you can fly to ecuador for 17,500 miles, could I transfer some miles to my girlfriend and we both fly for free as long as we avoid blackout dates?

If you find the space, sure. But remember those prices are one-way.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Also sAAver awards are as common as unicorns since the last devaluation like a year and a half ago. And AAnytime awards are crazy expensive. I have a huge number of miles I need to spend before they devalue again but I can’t do it for the expensive AAnytime rate.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

fordan posted:

Also sAAver awards are as common as unicorns since the last devaluation like a year and a half ago. And AAnytime awards are crazy expensive. I have a huge number of miles I need to spend before they devalue again but I can’t do it for the expensive AAnytime rate.

Last summer I managed to land JAX-SJC round trip first class as a sAAver rate, I snagged that the second I saw it. Especially since I was seeing round trip economy tickets for $400. Yea, domestic first class sucks but the product on the individual legs was surprisingly decent.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Need some help with booking a US to JP trip. I'm sitting on 220k AA miles and 315k or so Ultimate Rewards points (and 30k Thank You points).

I have a kind of a tight-ish itinerary: I'm going on a cycling trip that starts in Tokyo on the 19th of August and ends in Kyoto on the 26th of August. I would like to be in Tokyo at least 3 or 4 days before the 19th of August and need to depart out of Osaka on the 27th of August. I could possibly train it back to Tokyo but I'll have a bag with my bike, a backpack, and a duffel, so I'd prefer to just depart from Osaka.

Am I getting into the weeds and to a point where I should try out one of the reward booking finder services?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mackieman posted:

If you find the space, sure. But remember those prices are one-way.

Well, that's garbage. gently caress 'em, then

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. Gonna pitch you a complex one, so please tell me if I'm an idiot:

Mrs. Trabant and I would like to visit Patagonia this year, either in May or September. The destination airport is Punta Arenas, Chile (PUQ). Since it's a long, long trip from Austin (and our first to South America), we'd like to make a couple of other stops on the way there and back, namely Santiago, Chile (SCL) and Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE). So an example itinerary would be:

AUS --> SCL (spend 2-3 days)
SCL --> PUQ (spend 5-6 days)
PUQ --> EZE (spend 2-3 days)
EZE --> AUS

(sample Kayak search)

That one made sense geographically but we're not actually fixated on any particular order of places, so a wilderness-then-cities itinerary would work just fine. One interesting thing is that we'll almost certainly be going through Santiago multiple times: there seem to be no PUQ-EZE directs and it's also the one of the stopovers on the way back to Austin.

I think we're looking at about $1600 per person and... honestly, that's probably not that bad given the distances, but is still steep in absolute dollars. We do have about $1k worth of Chase Ultimate Rewards to lessen the hurt, but searching through their site doesn't come up with any flights. My guess is that the Chilean airlines aren't participating in Chase's program.

So, is there something I'm not considering, some route/path I haven't thought of? Trying to cheat by departing from Dallas or Houston (which is an option, if not exactly preferred) didn't produce a price or transit time advantage.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
You can get open-jaw tickets into SCL and out of EZE (or vice versa) pretty easily. The hubs for US connections to both are Houston (United), Miami (American and LATAM) and Atlanta (Delta), or you can often get substantially cheaper options on Copa via Panama City (usually with a really painful layover to counter the savings). May and September are both pretty out of season for Patagonia so make sure whatever you plan on doing is actually operating that time of year. You might actually get lucky with Chilean airlines and your Chase rewards, as LATAM is by far the largest airline in Chile and they're part of the American Airlines alliance.

For PUQ, look at Sky Airlines for cheap flights (they're the Ryanair of the region so you have to be on top of baggage and they don't turn up on aggregator searches, but they're often 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of LATAM).

If you're going to Torres del Paine, look at flights from El Calafate to Buenos Aires. Coming from Puerto Natales (the town outside Torres) it's about a 4-hour bus ride to the PUQ airport vs. about a 5-hour bus ride to El Calafate so it's a bit longer, but there are direct flights to Buenos Aires from there (and they go to the domestic airport which is practically downtown - EZE is about a 1-1.5 hour drive out). You can usually get the bus tickets for about $50 and pretty much all Argentinean domestic flights are typically between $80-120. Even apart from logistics it's also worth stopping over in El Calafate to see the massive glacier outside of town.

$1600 is lowballing it for this region - that's more typical of just the international airfare costs, though I've seen those get as low as about $900. If you're staying in hostel dorms, avoiding any kind of excursion/tour outings and going for the cheapest available transportation, expect to spend about $50-75 a day per person, and add in any costs for tours on top of that. You can get away with spending much less in Santiago but Patagonia is unavoidably expensive compared to other backpacker hotspots.

duralict fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 15, 2018

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

The Electronaut posted:

Need some help with booking a US to JP trip. I'm sitting on 220k AA miles and 315k or so Ultimate Rewards points (and 30k Thank You points).

I have a kind of a tight-ish itinerary: I'm going on a cycling trip that starts in Tokyo on the 19th of August and ends in Kyoto on the 26th of August. I would like to be in Tokyo at least 3 or 4 days before the 19th of August and need to depart out of Osaka on the 27th of August. I could possibly train it back to Tokyo but I'll have a bag with my bike, a backpack, and a duffel, so I'd prefer to just depart from Osaka.

Am I getting into the weeds and to a point where I should try out one of the reward booking finder services?

One-way with AA and the other with United, Singapore, or Korean (via Chase transfer). Should be at least a few options across the alliances.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
For Chile, Latam is a OneWhirled partner so you can book their flights with BA Avios if you have Chase points to transfer. We've spent the last couple of Thanksgivings in Chile because it is totally the tits, including Torres del Paine on this past trip. I also recommend the lake district around Puerto Varas (use Puerto Montt as your entry point) and avoid doing much of anything in SCL other than changing planes. If you do need to stay in SCL, I recommend renting a car and heading over to Valpariso. It is much better than SCL.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Trabant posted:

AUS --> SCL (spend 2-3 days)
SCL --> PUQ (spend 5-6 days)
PUQ --> EZE (spend 2-3 days)
EZE --> AUS

Honestly this is the kind of thing that real people travel agents are still perfect for if you can find any that specialize in travel of that sort which, since you're in a college town, should be not so hard to find. Somewhere around $1500 pp sounds reasonable for that itinerary assuming you're going in southern summer.

I'd also recommend flying El Calafate and/or Puerto Natales instead of Punta Arenas if possible.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you all for the Chile tips! From the sound of it, we ought to reconsider both the flight into Patagonia and the time spent in/around Santiago. There's enough time, thankfully, so I'll add El Calafate and Punto Natales to the searches.

Unless it'll clutter up the thread entirely, I'm happy to hear any other tips from those of you who've been down that way before. Otherwise, I'll take it to the South America thread and ask for suggestions there.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Puerto Natales only has air service part of the year from Latam and even then it's like once per week. The drive from Punta Arenas isn't that bad, maybe two and a half hours and it's paved the whole way. We stayed in Puerto Natales for a couple of days as a base for our forays into the park; couple of great restaurants in town if you need recommendations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just read about this website - https://www.airticketarena.com/

Has anyone tried it before?

Also, what's the best resource in finding cheap flights for someone who has the flexibility to travel on very short notice? I remember this one site that would send out emails but I forgot the name.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I've been following a Zurich<->US flight the past week, and I noticed every single time I check, the Swiss airlines ticket price on the same days is exactly the same price, while KLM, Turkish, Delta, and Air France are fluctuating up and down by hundreds of dollars depending on whether I wear a blue sweater or a black sweater when I look up the flight.

How stereotypically precisely Swiss. Now, could other airlines do the same loving thing please instead of picking numbers out of a hat for Today's Prices?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My friends told me to use an incognito tab when looking for flights, because some companies will raise prices/keep your previous search and presume that seat is now filled if you keep checking the same dates.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

peanut posted:

My friends told me to use an incognito tab when looking for flights, because some companies will raise prices/keep your previous search and presume that seat is now filled if you keep checking the same dates.

Yeah, I've heard that too (although never verified it). Google Flights definitely doesn't do that though, and now that Google Flights exists, every other online flight searching agency can go to hell for being so awful*.

*Except for those times when they are so awful that they let you get error fares which are not available via direct booking from the airline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

peanut posted:

You vastly overestimate the quality of the average airline's IT group. Moreover, fares are based on what is published to the GDS as most airlines count heavily upon corporate travel agency bookings much more so that channels they own. I'm not saying it can't happen, but my guess is that it is not.