Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Fine, Sacrifice the Monk but if, and only if, Fearghas Leaves! If anyone rats on us to the monks, it would be him.

Also, try and keep the attackers alive in case we can hold them for ransom or trial or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

why do we give a poo poo about the opinions and lives of christian monks. we should go enslave them all and sacrifice one at every blot, we're goddamn vikings. :colbert:

Sacrifice the Monk to heal the farmer, go with Asulf to personally hunt down whoever the gently caress did this.

They yield beer.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Slaan is right. We do need to get rid of Fearghas before we kill the monk. So he leaves with us.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

SerSpook posted:

They yield beer.

They'll make beer just the same as thralls.

e: In fact, I imagine we'll get even more beer, because we'll be getting everything they make as opposed to a tithe.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
I think the fewer moving parts a plan has the better. As it stands we've got a clear objective re: catching and possibly resale-ing the culprit in the attack here and that's got a pretty good chance of payout anyway. So why buy more trouble than it's probably worth to save the life of one elderly farmer? In this particular instance, sacrificing the monk might be fun or save the old guy's life but it risks alienating the monks, Fearghas, or possibly giving Solva (keep in mind she's still kinda crazy-eyed on the whole monk thing) possible ammunition to use against us later.

Force and secret murder are tools best reserved for careful and judicious use. Trotting them out just to maybe save the life of one elderly farmer is a pretty poor exchange, especially since our new tenants can probably fill in and do his farmwork anyway.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Why are we even entertaining these monks and not just enslaving them and forcing them to do what we want? I say, we have no need to fear "alienating" them because they're soft, unarmed Christians; they should be thralls, not tenants. It is inappropriate, unmanly, and an insult to the Gods. :colbert:

Seven-and-ten
Jul 31, 2013

Addition is hard
No, what is unmanly is to break our word for mere convenience. We swore to protect the monks, and we have failed in that. We would insult ourselves and the gods by sacrificing the unconscious monk.

1. B, but also pray to Thor, the protector of farmers. Perhaps our armband will respond to prayer once more.
2. Send Ásulf hunting for the culprit.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Seven-and-ten posted:

No, what is unmanly is to break our word for mere convenience. We swore to protect the monks, and we have failed in that. We would insult ourselves and the gods by sacrificing the unconscious monk.

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Why are we even entertaining these monks and not just enslaving them and forcing them to do what we want? I say, we have no need to fear "alienating" them because they're soft, unarmed Christians; they should be thralls, not tenants. It is inappropriate, unmanly, and an insult to the Gods. :colbert:

Yeah now that you put it that way, clearly oath-breaking in a ritual sacrifice to the gods to save a single old farmer who may or may not die anyway is still a terrible idea. :P This is serious magic that involves drastically altering a man's fate from (split open like a ripe fruit) to (maybe not dying today). It's a remarkable amount of effort to go to for realistically little gain, unless you want to argue that somehow we owe the guy enough to justify going to great lengths to save him. Unless a strong case can be made for the virtues of charity and mercy for poor Steinbjorn, my vote is to give him normal treatment and let the gods decide proactively if they want him to live.

It's time, Peter. She's lived a long life and is ready to pass on.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Would an oath to a Christian even mean anything though? Do they count as humans? I'm leaning towards no, but would like clarification from the GM!

Anyway, as he's the only skilled farmer we have, I think it'd be useful to keep him around and alive.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

Would an oath to a Christian even mean anything though? Do they count as humans? I'm leaning towards no, but would like clarification from the GM.

I think it depended on the person. Danes and Christians were ankles to live side by side for quite sometime. The Danes had for a long time before 995 been familiar with Christians and Christianity. In the Viking city of Hedeby Christians and worshippers of Odin and Thor were living side by side. The Christians had their cross, the pagan Vikings decided to use Thor's hammer as their symbol. In Hedeby you could buy both at the jewellers' shop.

So the question is if Toke would consider them human or not. Based on previous actions, how you treat Fearghas, and how you guys have made him pretty open-minded I would say he considers them people. They are all far far lower on the social ladder than any Norseman, but they are still men and not like beasts or monsters or dwarves.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

An oath to a dwarf is still an oath. It's bad luck to break an oath. :colbert:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Do we have anyone else who is a good farmer? I suppose we could lean on our luck that the killer is Wood-Nose's son and trade him back for some thralls skilled in farming, but as of now we have no one but the dying man we could save with a little trickery and some rad magic.

Or am I mistaken, about the farming thing?

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
No really guys, don't kill the drat monk. We like the monks; they are useful, and just as importantly docile tenants. As long as we use them fairly we have a steady supply of things we can't yet make ourselves, as well as some extra craftsmen and farmers about the place. The draugr skull seems to be the best bet to save Steinbjorn's life, and I think it's worth it. I've been raving about farms from the beginning and that's because farms are loving important. Steinbjorn's the only one who's a professional farmer, the rest of us are just following his lead, so we'd really, really like him alive. Just probably not enough to sacrifice an innocent man whom we swore, and failed, to protect.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
We will send Ásúlf!

And try to heal Steinbjorn with medicine!

Also, the Results of the Ásúlf Poetry Contest!

So, this was really hard, since there were only two entries and they were both really really good. I went back and forth on which one I liked better basically every time I read them. So, the winner is....

A Total Cop-Out! You both win!

Penguingo's poem is the one most people know about Ásúlf. In fact he likely pays skalds or Toke to sing it when he is in the room. This is important because it means that Ásúlf has a secret child somewhere that will totally in no way come back to bite him in the rear end sometime in the future!

But, Wentley's much darker take on Ásúlf is something only he and Toke know about. It casts a shadow over our loveable drunkard. And also means there are family members of the people he killed who have most likely totally forgotten and will not show up looking to kill Ásúlf. No way.

But, congrats to both Penguingo and Wentley, thank you both for endulging me and putting up some really good poems. I am sorry you have to share your victory, but you are now blood brothers.

Update coming

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Steinbjorn Takes a Journey.

“Ásúlf, go get the man responsible, bring him back here. Alive.”

The words are barely out of your lips before Ásúlf is moving. He leaps on one of Ragnhilda’s horses and he is off, not bothering to put on a saddle.

Nauma binds Steinbjorn’s wounds and mixes herbs to rub on them. Sefa, wife of Ari, boils onions and leeks into a broth. She feeds this to Steinbjorn, who is lucid enough to thank her and remark how pretty she is. She giggles at this. After a few minutes, you can smell the odor of onion leaking from Steinbjorn’s wound. He is beyond hope. You order everyone from the longhouse. There are chores to be done, the newcomers must be settled, sheep herded. Everyone leaves so it is just you, Steinbjorn, and the unconscious monk.

You take Dvegrvatn from your belt and sit next to Steinbjorn.

The man takes a long time to die. The medicines ease his passing and give him time to talk. At first he is aware of himself enough to chat at you. He regrets never keeping up his fighting skills. Perhaps if he was more skilled with an axe than with a pitchfork, this would not be happening. He tells you some of his past, it is a standard story of laughter, ale, and women. You laugh along with Steinbjorn.

Then he takes a turn for the worst. For hours he mutters confusing half-heard tips, rituals of the field and plow. He tells you repeatedly to harvest as soon as the hay’s back bends, he prays to Thor and Frey that your fields will produce and your sheep will fatten. He thanks you for saving him from the serpent. He would rather die on land anyway.

Then, he turns delirious. He speaks a language you don’t understand. He turns to you and hisses,

“‘Ware Toke, ‘ware Serpent-Breaker. ‘ware the ice! ‘ware the Serpent! ‘ware the fangs behind smiles. ‘ware the Gallows Lord. ‘ware Riddle-Solver. You are loved, but you are not chosen!”

Then he falls silent. Softly, you recite a poem for him. It is a beautiful poem about Steinbjorn’s life, but it was meant for him only and so repeating it here would be a dishonor. You place Dvegrvatn in his gnarled hands and hold them closed. He passes from this world holding a weapon, his soul will travel to Valhalla, and live with those souls of great warriors now.

Close to day’s end, Ásúlf returns. He is riding the horse back at an easy pace, so that Fearghas can walk next to him without having to strain himself. Behind Ásúlf is another man being lead by a noose. Every few feet Ásúlf gives the rope he holds a quick tug, causing the man to stumble and fall. Ásúlf is smiling when he rides up to you, but seeing the wrapped body of Steinbjorn he becomes wild with fury. He leaps of his horse and attacks the bound man, screaming and biting. It takes Lambi and Tall Hella’s great strength to pull Ásúlf off the man. Weeping Ásúlf vanishes into the longhouse.

Fearghas tells you the man’s name is Cnute. And, after many kicks from Fearghas, Cnute tells you that he is a thane. He was hired by Faraldr, son of Bjorn Wood-Nose. He was to come and steal as many sheep as he could, and kill any who tried to stop him.

1. What do you do with Cnute?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We should take Cnute to the party. We can't be too aggressive with Wood-nose, since we need him and he wasn't involved, but since Cnute was hired by Faraldr and this was murder, we should demand a generous weregild at least and go for some kind of humiliating justice against Faraldr.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Take the matter to Wood-Nose. If we play this right we could wereguild AND have Cnute or even Faraldr killed or outlawed. If Toke does A Thing he does it with style.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Tie him up, take him to woodnose for the party, demand justice.

Cnute is going to die one way or another, lets get as much out of this as possible.

The sheep stealing is one thing, but the 'kill anyone who tries to stop you' is another entirely.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Relying upon Wood Nose for justice is not enough. Toke needs to dole out justice, Thunderdome style

Sacrifice Cnute to the gods, then challenge Faraldr to single combat to the death at the [b]Blot

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 9, 2013

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Colonel Wood posted:

Relying upon Wood Nose for justice is not enough. Toke needs to dole out justice, Thunderdome style

Sacrifice Cnute to the gods, then challenge Faraldr to single combat to the death at the lot

Oooo, I like this. This is the correct thing to do.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Colonel Wood posted:

[b]Sacrifice Cnute to the gods, then challenge Faraldr to single combat to the death at the [b]lot[/][b]

That's not a very clever plan at all. If you really wanted to give Faraldr a bad end you'd push hard for him to be outlawed and then just wait for him in the woods with Asulf and set of dull knives. Remember, it ain't murder if they're outlaws! That said, a generous blood price and other concessions would probably be what Steinbjorn wanted (aside from not-dying anyway), since those things can be given to the keeping of his family and loved ones/farm. Did he have a family? I don't recall any mention of there being one but it's possible that he was homesteading with the expectation that he'd send for them later or that he's got kin someplace who would want to check in on him eventually.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Bring the man to Wood-Nose.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Bring him to Wood-nose to show that it is our fault this little feud with his son started, but that while we want to end the stupidity his son is being a dumb-rear end and getting innocent people killed. Lets see what he has to say as to a good wereprice.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
We could bring the man to Wood-Nose and ask as blood price some good farmers.

However, the cowardly hiring of another to do what you can not is something that should not be forgotten. Take some time to make a song about it. A great song about the cowardice of Faraldr.

(Thanks for the kind words about the poem.)

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Wentley posted:

We could bring the man to Wood-Nose and ask as blood price some good farmers.

However, the cowardly hiring of another to do what you can not is something that should not be forgotten. Take some time to make a song about it. A great song about the cowardice of Faraldr.

(Thanks for the kind words about the poem.)

Yessss, do this. Basically, never not be busting mad Viking beats.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Slaan posted:

Bring him to Wood-nose to show that it is our fault this little feud with his son started, but that while we want to end the stupidity his son is being a dumb-rear end and getting innocent people killed. Lets see what he has to say as to a good wereprice.

Going with this.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Slaan posted:

Do this. Don't sacrifice a loving mercenary! What's the point? That's like sacrificing a javelin that someone's thrown at you, or sacrificing a sword that got stuck in your armour.

PythagoreanCup
Jul 31, 2013

Widely regarded as a bad move.

Slaan posted:

I'm with this plan. We can join up with Wood-nose before the Blot, offering to deal with this situation informally is a very kind and generous gesture and it shows we're willing to work things out. This is the best plan for minimizing the damage to our relationship with Wood-nose, because no matter how charming we are and how much of a dick his son was, his son is still his son.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013

Slaan posted:

This

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
How Wood-Nose Heard About the Crime And Came to a Ruling.

On the sloping hills to the south of your settlement there are three graves, yet only one body. Steinbjorn is buried with the homemade hand-arðr he used to first furrow the fields*. You have no ships and so he must be buried in the ground. A section of earth, the size of a longship is excavated. Cnute is made to dig it. Large rocks, three feet tall, are placed around the hole, outlining the ship shape. Cnute is made to carry them. Steinbjorn is set on a pyre placed within the hole. You light it, saying the proper prayers and sending his spirit on. The hole is refilled and Steinbjorn's ashes are left to rest.

There is animated debate of what to do with Cnute. Ásúlf and Solva wish to kill him-Solva brings up the idea of a sacrifice for the Blót, repeatedly. Domarr and Nauma caution against it. Fearghas has no opinion, he has left to bring the comatose monk back to the mission. It is decided that Cnute will not be killed and instead will be brought back to Wood-Nose as soon as possible, as you do not trust someone to not kill him before Wood-Nose's Blót. At this Ásúlf curses, drinks a horn of ale in one long drink and leaves, saying he has a tree to cut down.

You wish to wait for Fearghas to return and Ásúlf to sober himself before you go to Wood-Nose, so you spend the rest of the day seeing to your new tenants.

Valerius is given to Lambi so that he make make the tools needed to wood work. He seems surprised at being given this much freedom and is greatful. His wife Joannina is given over to Donar, who latches on to her easily. The slave babe - whose name you are told is Bardas - does not seem to mind Donar.

The warriors Tall Hella and Odd are in good spirits. They have enjoyed much of the monks' drink and they are spending their time digging out the foundation for a hut for themselves. They clearly aren't experienced in this and it is just as likely their hut will collapse in on itself as it will protect them.

You find Ragnhilda and Kettil leading their horses to the plateau to your north. They need good pasture land for the animals and don't want to crowd your sheep. They hope to set up a little farm for themselves up here. Of course it being only the two of them it will be difficult. Kettil remarks that the mare is close to being in heat. Unfortunately the other horse is a gelding. It would be nice to have more horses, as they are almost as valuable as oxen. He asks you to keep an eye out for anyone wishing to stud their horse.

Ari and his family are in the birch forest. Like Ragnhilda they hope to build a home here, though for not they intend to help expand the longhouse. The building will be very cramped in the winter otherwise. Ari's sons, Torfi and Rorik are strapping young lads and eager to prove themselves in a fight, though their mother Seffa is far less eager. The young girl, Asa is a fierce thing. She tells you that she saw a fox in the forest. She is planning to hunt it and kill it. You tell her that is nice.

It is nearing dark when you start to walk back to the longhouse. You find Ásúlf passed out and snoring next to Steinbjorn grave. He has a empty jug of beer and a tree branch, hacked off at the end, next to him. It is a sad sight. Though he is fast asleep, his face is still wet with tears. Ásúlf has responded very negatively to Steinbjorn's death. You start to worry for him.

1. Ásúlf seems depressed, what should we do for him?

A. Nothing, he will snap out of it.
B. Find more booze for him.
C. Find something for him to kill.
D. Chastise him for being weak. This is his fault after all.
E. Find him a Woman.
F. Something Else (What?)

The next morning you leave with your warriors. Ásúlf, Fearghas and Domarr come with you. So do Hella and Odd. You allow Torfi and Rorik to come as well, though you make it clear they are to run if there is a fight. Your party marches to Eitrisadal, Cnute in tow. With grim faces you enter the mead hall of Bjorn Wood-Nose, not waiting for an announcement. Wood-Nose is surprised to see you, but he smiles slightly.

"Toke my friend. What brings you here?"

"A hound is a killer. A sheep, a provider. Thus is the nature of things
Let loose on each other the outcome is given. It is meant to be.
A Northman let loose on peasants is the same. it is meant to be.
The hound eats the sheep. Thus is the nature of things.

Do we blame the hound? If we must.
Do we blame the Northman? If we must.

Yet, wise men say, our actions are not only our own.
Some say the Northman's wife, controls his actions.
If this is true, so it must be for the Hound.
The hound's actions are those of his bitch."

You finish this staring at Faraldr, who stands next to the jarl.

Wood-Nose laughs at his, quite heartily. Then he notices your somber face, and the somber faces of your compatriots. He glances at Faraldr and sees his son's red face full of anger and fear. He looks back at you as you throw Cnute to the ground in front of Wood-Nose's high seat.

"This man is known to you?"

"One of my thanes...new to my land."

"He killed a freeman on mine. On orders from your son."

Wood-Nose goes very, very still. After a moment he stands and walks over to the kneeling Cnute, who is picking himself off the ground.

"Cnute....is this true?"

"...yes"

Wood-Nose pauses. "Do you have a wife?"

"I..yes." Cnute mutters.

"Good." Wood'Nose draws his sword and cuts Cnute's throat.

"Father!" Faraldr yells, running up behind. "What are you--"

Wood-Nose wheels around, slashing at his son. Blood sprays and Farald falls, screaming to the ground.

"How dare you!" Wood-Nose roars. "You bastard! You are a villain and a coward you worthless little poo poo!" He kicks at his son, who yelps in pain.

"You try to go above the Law**, but you are too much of a little child to do it yourself? Pathetic! Take off your rings!"

Faraldr looks up, blood is pouring from a long gash in his face, starting at the corner of his mouth and running to his ear, the bottom of which has been sliced off. "What?"

"You chose to involve another in your pettiness, to do the fighter's work you couldn't. As far as I am concerned, you haven't earn any of those arm rings. Take them off or I'll loving cut them off!"

Faraldr struggles to get the four rings his wears on his arms off. It is difficult as his hands are slick with blood. Eventually he gets them all off and Wood-Nose snatches them off. Wood-Nose turns to you.

"Who was killed?"

"A farmer of ours."

"And the only one of us experienced as such." Domarr adds.

"poo poo," Wood-Nose says. Then he steps over the the whimpering form of his son and stands next to his high seat.

"Here is my decree.
First, to pay for the death of your man, I give you this wereguild." Wood-Nose tosses all four arm rings to the ground at your feet. This is a huge sum of money, closer to the wereguild for a chieftain than a farmer.

"Second, the wife of Cnute shall inherit his debt, incurred by attacking a dear friend of mine. I transfer this debt to Toke Frodsson, to do with what he pleases." At this he looks at Faraldr, making it clear the boy is at fault for the woman's fate.

"Third, as my son is financially responsible for this, he will be held to such. He will have to produce a new freeman with experience farming for Toke Frodsson's settlement. Faraldr will pay the cost of this karl's resettlement himself. Faraldr's will also act as insurer for Toke. Should Toke's fields produce less than expected, Faraldr will pay for the cost of grain that Toke must purchase to make up the difference. This is my decree. This is acceptable Toke Frodsson?"

2. Is this acceptable?

Yes
No
(Why not?)

While you're here, do you want to ask Wood-Nose anything?
Even with the mood he's in he will still talk to you, or point you in the right direction.

*Not only living things were "sacrificed". There are many burial mounds in Scandinavia that have tools and weapons broken or twisted into useless shapes. One common interpretation is that these items were deliberately destroyed, like a person or animal was destroyed, as a way to show devotion. The arðr is a useful farm tool, and you'll miss it next year when Lambi has to make another one.

**Wood-Nose's devotion to the law might seem a little over the top here. But if you think about it, it's really not. At this point in time, Iceland is being populated by a group of exiles and refugees, people who normally would hate each other and spend a lot of time and energy trying to kill each other. In an environment as unforgiving as this land though, you really needed to get along as much as possible. So a lot of people devoted themselves to upholding this law to keep things moving as smoothly as possible. Wood-Nose right now is doing his best to make sure this little tiff doesn't turn into a generations-spanning blood-feud with dozens dead on each side, as often happened.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

1. Asulf my lad, you nEed to get your bell rung. When's the last time you were with a woman? Look I'll tell you what, let's you and me go tie one on and we'll tip a few to Steinbjorn since his killer's got what was coming to him and Wood-nose's gormless son has gotten a suitably harsh punishment for it? Maybe that widow uh... Ragna something? Or we'll go on a trip and see about finding you a properly lusty bride?
2. Yes. Blood for blood, gold for gold. I am satisfied with this result for all that I'm saddened that we had to come to it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

1. C. D. & E.

We can give him Cnute's wife. Have him & Asa hunt and kill the fox. The pelt will make a nice gift to Cnute's widow. He needs a kind but firm talking to about his irresponsible drinking.

2. Woodnose has done the right thing. Before we go, offer a poem of about his honor, justice, and friendship.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
We should have a nice talk with Asulf, get drunk and talk about Steinbjorn a bit. Tell stories and jokes, toast his memory, do what we need to to help Asulf deal with his friend's passing. After that let him settle Cnute's widow in, who knows, maybe something will come of it? It's high time he was married, anyway. I agree we should Talk to him about his drinking. There's nothing wrong with booze, the gods gave us its secrets for a reason, but too much is harmful to body and soul.

As much as I'd like to see Faraldr outlawed, Wood-Nose has gone out of his way to be a good guy about this so I'm satisfied with his decree. Cnute got what was coming to him and Faraldr was humiliated and impoverished. What's more, he was marked across the face, a token of fatherly displeasure to remind him he's one strike away from death or outlawry.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

1: B&C. Asulf is a fighter, he feels bad for failing someone. Drink with him, help him through it and show him he's still a fighter.

2: Wood-nose, we're going places. This is a good decree. We should make sure he knows we appreciate it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

1. C. D. & E.

We can give him Cnute's wife. Have him & Asa hunt and kill the fox. The pelt will make a nice gift to Cnute's widow. He needs a kind but firm talking to about his irresponsible drinking.

2. Woodnose has done the right thing. Before we go, offer a poem of about his honor, justice, and friendship.

Yeah, if Asulf likes her, let him Take the dead Karl's wife as his own. Also, the fox hunting thing sounds cute. :3:

And, Proclaim our friendship to our honorable, just friend and, if culturally appropriate, Shed some of our blood to show our sincerity.

Actually, do what he says below vvv for Wood-nose instead. I like the idea of returning some of the money for a farmer's help and the monk.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 10, 2013

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
1: C and E
He can help the girl on her fox hunt, that should keep his mind off of things for a while. Meanwhile, we've got two widows now, and he's a catch, tell him maybe he should either help the free widow settle in, or tell him to do something with Cnute's widow. But don't be hard on her, in all likelihood she didn't know there was anything going on.

2: Yes, he's obviously upset and probably ashamed about what happened. Ask him if we could borrow a farmer for a few days a week to help us with the cropping until his son comes good with a replacement. Pay for this with one of the armbands to show we don't want his money so much as his friendship, even after this unpleasantness.

Also, the monks are going to be pissed or whatever emotion Christians feel. See if we can purchase the monk Wood-nose has with two of the other armbands, we need the trade goods the monks produce and keeping them onside will be easier long term.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

1: B and E. Get him drunk, get him laid. Fistbump. But, like, don't force Cnute's widow to live with him if she doesn't want to.
2: Yes that's fine, poem him up, thank him appropriately, give him whatever reciprocal gifts we can afford. Maybe honey and mead a bit later so we can be all "hey my tenant monks appreciate your just ways".

Bonus: ask him if any of his dudes are going off raiding next year with that guy we signed up with.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Penguingo posted:

1: B and E. Get him drunk, get him laid. Fistbump. But, like, don't force Cnute's widow to live with him if she doesn't want to.
2: Yes that's fine, poem him up, thank him appropriately, give him whatever reciprocal gifts we can afford. Maybe honey and mead a bit later so we can be all "hey my tenant monks appreciate your just ways".

Bonus: ask him if any of his dudes are going off raiding next year with that guy we signed up with.

I like the cut of your jib. Also, I agree. As for using the armbands, I don't know if that is appropriate now. It may be an insult to give them back right away to use as payment. What Wood-Nose did was awesome as hell, and I for one, don't want to cheapen the really badass gesture he just made.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Busy day today. We will be having The Talk with Asulf tomorrow, sorry to everyone clicking on the thread to read about Asulf's dating life right now.

Also yes he will help the little girl hunt the fox because that is to cute too not happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
An Important Discussion with Ásúlf Horn-Stream

Cnute’s wife is named Gísela. She is a pretty young thing and though she weeps at the news of her husband’s death and cries out his name, she does not try to kill herself, or you or Wood-Nose. That shows she has some iron in her. She will hopefully not be a problem for you, though you need to decide her station at Höggormsinsfjörd. As she has incurred her husband’s debt, which she cannot hope to pay, you can either continue to treat her as a thrall, or free her of the debt.

1. Where does Gisela fit in the social order?

A. She is a thrall and will be treated as such for life
B. Treat her as a bondi, obligated to us only until the debt is paid.
C. She was a freeman, and should remain such.

You speak to Wood-Nose about loaning you a farmer to help tend the crops until Faraldr Wide-Mouth provides a new one. He thinks about it for a while and sadly shakes his head. He is already out two good workers because of this, three if his son counts - the boy will likely lay in bed for weeks whimpering for the attention of women. And it is likely the farmer his son will “find” will be one of Wood-Nose’s own. He does promise that Faraldr will provide a farmer before the harvest, likely right after the Blót. He just asks you be patient.

You ask if he is planning to send any men raiding. He says perhaps. His raiding days are getting shorter and shorter. Faraldr always find excuses to avoid the summer-long raids and Wood-Noses’s other sons aren’t yet old enough to command. He says come to him if you need help filling a longship and he will provide you with men.

You travel back to Höggormsinsfjördwith Gisela in tow. Once there you take Ásúlf aside to talk to him. You ask him how he is doing, he says he is fine. After a few more moments you remark on the weather, he replies that the days are certainly getting colder. You agree. Finally you say that the monk’s drink is quite tasty, which Ásúlf agrees to. Then you say perhaps it is almost too good for everyone to drink so so easily, after all it is an excellent trade item. Ásúlf..sees your point, but reminds you how tasty it is. You then simply bring up his excess drinking. As your right-hand man, and the one entrusted to protecting the farm, he cannot be drunk as much as he has been. Ásúlf excuses himself, saying that he was depressed about Steinbjorn’s death and his failure to stop it, it was a one time thing. You tell him that you doubt it was. Instead you encourage him to find other things to keep him busy. You ask him if he finds Gisela pretty, he remarks that he does indeed. You tell him perhaps he should help her get settled, show her around the new home she is living in. He agrees so this. Confident, you stand, glad to have helped. Oh, and one more thing. Perhaps he should give Gisela a gift, so who his good intentions. A fox pelt perhaps. Luckily, you know of someone who would be willing to help him hunt a fox.

The winds turn colder. It is a week before the Blót. After that, time will be spent harvesting and preparing for winter. You must focus your own attention on getting a project done.

2. That project to you work on before the Blót?

A. Construction of the homes for Hella and Odd.
B. The expansion of your longhouse.
C. Finding a stud for the horses.
D. Going to your neighbors to the north.
E. Helping Lambi with smithing raiding tools.
F.Train your fighters. (Do you want to add any new people to the group?)
G.Create a runestones of your life thus far.

Next, Going to the Blót-feast and Attempting Murder!

• Locked thread