Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

This thread has been very helpful to me, as I've designed a cube of middling cards out of the odd collection of new and old cards that I own: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/2874

I used a mixture of the peasant and budget lists people have been posting as guidelines, and tried to throw in a range of cards that had 'interesting for limited' effects. I finally got a chance to field test the cube by doing Sealed with a friend this past weekend, and we both came out with decks that felt like they'd be on par or maybe a cut above draft decks in a given limited format, which is about how I wanted this thing to play out. I know it still needs work getting color balance a little closer to ideal, and I'd like to cut out some of the worst or least interesting cards for some slightly more exciting fare, but as I'm adamant about the fact I don't have a budget for this, it's a slow but enjoyable process.

Constructing the cube did give me a bit of a pause, as I realized I had a hard time finding a theme for white. Blue had card draw and counterspells, black had discard, creature destruction, and paying life to do things. red had pinging, burning, and filtering, green had ramp and combat tricks, but white I had a hard time with, aside from maybe tokens and enchantment based removal. Part of the problem was how amazingly terrible a lot of my white cards are, so I just did what I did to get to enough playables in the cube, but I was at a loss for real themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Ya, white can be a bit of an oddball, because it does both aggro and control theaters so well. I'd add in lots of aggro support, and wraths/removal for control as well. For white archetype support, I'd go with a token/anthem theme (cards that produce multiple threats and cards that pump your team). When you get several of those cards together in the same deck, it can make for a nasty list.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I really want to replace the Scars block fast lands and I could use some suggestions.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
Here's my cube list, 450 unpowered https://cubetutor.com/viewcube/499. I finally got to draft it in person 2 weeks ago after spending 4-5 months piecing together the cards, it's pretty great seeing people play within an environment you've crafted.

Wtwlf's posts on MTGS were really helpful when I was just starting out, you should definitely check his stuff out if you're building a cube and new to the process.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Zekky posted:

Here's my cube list, 450 unpowered https://cubetutor.com/viewcube/499. I finally got to draft it in person 2 weeks ago after spending 4-5 months piecing together the cards, it's pretty great seeing people play within an environment you've crafted.

Wtwlf's posts on MTGS were really helpful when I was just starting out, you should definitely check his stuff out if you're building a cube and new to the process.

It's awesome having a group of people enjoy crafting the environment you've sculpted.

And thanks for the shout out.

Stinky Pit posted:

I really want to replace the Scars block fast lands and I could use some suggestions.

How many lands are you playing per color, and what other lands are you already using? Are you open to sculpting your own cycles of lands instead of using complete cycles?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

This is my cube currently.

http://cubetutor.com/home/1728

I give no fucks about cycles I just want 5 lands my players don't say "I hate drawing this"

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

This is my cube currently.

http://cubetutor.com/home/1728

I give no fucks about cycles I just want 5 lands my players don't say "I hate drawing this"

I think the aggressive combinations would be happy with the Scars duals because they produce colored mana in the critical spots of your curve, but control combinations would be happier with the M10 lands or Bouncelands because they do what they're supposed to do in the later stages of the game.

That being said, I don't think they're necessary at 450, where 4 lands per combination is fine, and they're outclassed by the Dual/Shock/Fetch/Manland organization already.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I agree wholly, I just don't know what would be interesting in their place.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Stinky Pit posted:

Filter Lands and Karoos come to mind, but they're definitely more control and midrange oriented.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

I'd cut all of them and add in some more universally valuable lands. I'd drop those, Inkmoth and Blinkmoth and add in:

Ancient Tomb
Dust Bowl
Evolving Wilds
Faerie Conclave
Grand Coliseum
Terramorphic Expanse
Undiscovered Paradise

Ooh, and I'd get Horizon Canopy in there any way you can. If you want to swap WG fixing for more WG fixing, it's much better than Stirring Wildwood is.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Zoness posted:

Filter Lands and Karoos come to mind, but they're definitely more control and midrange oriented.

for 4th piece of fixing
- I run a few exploration and untap lab type effects and that's drawn me to green karoo lands for U/G and U/B
- black has notoriously heavy color commitments so all U/B and W/B are using the filter lands (e.g. fetid heath)
- U/W and U/R don't have super relevant alternatives (although if you do U/W tempo feel free to use seachrome coast) and UWR is a common control wedge so I use filters
- R/G, R/B and R/W are aggro colors primarily so they're using Scars, Scards and Painland respectively
- G/W horizon canopy all the way

for the 5th piece of fixing (remember, I'm 525)
enemy colors have a second zendikar fetchland
allied colors have a WWK manland

for a 450 list I'd want 4 pieces of fixing per color pair, and when I was at that size I had 4 plus the WWK manlands

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Have people been following the Theros spoilers for the cube? It's bonkers. It started off really slow, but I'm up to a dozen includes for my powered 450 list, and the set's only half-spoiled. Seems like they spoiled all the good stuff in the middle of this spoiler season instead of the beginning. It's been a crazy week of reading sick cube cards get spoiled one after another.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Have people been following the Theros spoilers for the cube? It's bonkers. It started off really slow, but I'm up to a dozen includes for my powered 450 list, and the set's only half-spoiled. Seems like they spoiled all the good stuff in the middle of this spoiler season instead of the beginning. It's been a crazy week of reading sick cube cards get spoiled one after another.

Yeah, I've got a few I want to add. Soldier of the Pantheon, Hero's Downfall, Sylvan Caryatid, Spear of Heliod and Fleecemane Lion seem like easy inclusions. I'm not sure about the planeswalkers though.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Zekky posted:

Yeah, I've got a few I want to add. Soldier of the Pantheon, Hero's Downfall, Sylvan Caryatid, Spear of Heliod and Fleecemane Lion seem like easy inclusions. I'm not sure about the planeswalkers though.

Well I won't be playing the Lion (Selesnya is so deep with sick cards) but the rest of those and more I'm super excited about.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Whats the best way to go about getting good proxies for my cube?

Most of the stuff thats under 30 dollars I have or can trade for, but I'd rather not drop 1k getting all the original dual lands, jtms, karakas, etc. Also having the power 9 once in a while would be nice for when I am feeling frisky.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 11, 2013

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

TheAbortionator posted:

Most of the stuff thats under 30 dollars I have or can trade for, but I'd rather not drop 1k getting all the original dual lands, jtms, karakas, etc. Also having the power 9 once in a while would be nice for when I am feeling frisky.

Depending on how much effort you want to put into it there are several options. You can use magic set editor to print a bunch of proxies in a number of manners. You can print on adhesive paper and stick them on to cards at the lower end of effort. Higher amounts of effort including blanking foils with acetone and then printing proxies on transparencies (either normal or self adhesive) and then putting those on the blanked foils. The second method works best with a color laser printer, and in theory you can print directly on to blanked foils with a color laser printer as well. I have no idea how you would stop ink smearing though.

There is a goon whose name escapes me that is doing an all foil custom proxy cube or something like that. I remember seeing a post in the main thread about it a few months ago. You can probably get better info from them.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

TheAbortionator posted:

fellow goon BaronVonVaderham recently Posted in the M:tG Buy/Sell Thread offering his services when it comes to proxies, if you're interested and don't want to do all the leg work yourself.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I have a gimp template that has 9 sections, one for each card, sized just right for copying the image from magiccards.info. Copy and paste them into the appropriate spot and print out the image (with 9 cards) on a color laserjet (e.g. kinkos).

Cut the cards out and double-side tape them to lands and sleeve them up. The sources are high enough dpi that it actually is hard to tell without knowing what to look for

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 12, 2013

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Thanks, I ended up ordering 2 sheets of proxies from Baron and am pretty excited about em.

Lurchington posted:

I have a gimp template that has 9 sections, one for each card, sized just right for copying the image from magiccards.info. Copy and paste them into the appropriate spot and print out the image (with 9 cards) on a color laserjet (e.g. kinkos).

Probably going to do this for the stuff I plan on buying/trading for but havent yet (which there are alot of)

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I wrote an article discussing the Theros cube additions now that the set is fully spoiled. The article can be found here:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=10719999#post10719999

Let me know what you think!

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I wrote an article discussing the Theros cube additions now that the set is fully spoiled. The article can be found here:

Probably nothing but if you could repost it here, I would like to give it a gander.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Funny. Nobody else has complained about that. It's just a link to mtgs.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I agree with pretty much everything but I can't get behind Thassa, her effects seem really marginal and boring. How often has her devotion clause been activated in testing? Another card I'm not sold on is Xenagos, he's obviously quite powerful but he just doesn't seem as fun or interesting as the gruul cards I'm currently running.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Jenx posted:

I don't know about designing Ravnica cubes or whatever, but I now have an urge to add googly eyes to every single card I could reasonable put them in in every deck that I have.

You may well enjoy this.

For some on topic cube chat, a while ago I added Squadron Hawk to my cube, which if you draft you get three extra copies during deckbuilding. So far it's gone down pretty well except that one of the few times I've actually taken it it seemed everyone else had Maelstrom Pulse?!

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Zekky posted:

I agree with pretty much everything but I can't get behind Thassa, her effects seem really marginal and boring. How often has her devotion clause been activated in testing? Another card I'm not sold on is Xenagos, he's obviously quite powerful but he just doesn't seem as fun or interesting as the gruul cards I'm currently running.

Thassa's going to be a group-dependent card. Since we play a lot of blue control, slow indestructible repeatable scrying is quite valuable, and the unblockable ability will find more opportunities to be valuable the longer the game goes. And she gets activated about once a match, give or take. I have killed my opponent with an unblockable 5/5 Thassa already in testing (she was active off a Baby Jace and a Control Magic).

Xengaos, on the other hand, is just a ridiculous card. The ramp ability makes a ton of mana, and free 2/2 haste creatures every turn is just killer.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Aston posted:

You may well enjoy this.

Oh my god, that is the most beautiful Magic thing I've seen in ages!

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
I've been working on a cube for a while, and have yet to have an 8 man draft, but have done lots of 2 man grid, 2 man winston, 4 man rochester and 4 man team grid drafts with the list. I'm aiming for a low-power, limited feel Unpowered list. I've tried toning down some removal and counterspells, as well as simply unfair creatures, but without doing 8 mans regularly it's hard to tell. I'd like some overall thoughts on the list, maybe draft and make a deck? Thanks for your time and consideration!

http://cubetutor.com/cubeblog/510

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

So, I finally got all the cards together for my cube, and this may seem basic, but I'm wondering, what is a good number of basics to have on hand and sleeved? I have 360 cards in the cube and its all multicolored (RAV/RTR Based), how many of each basic type do you guys think would be sufficient?

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
For a 360 cube, where you'll have at most 8 people drafting at a time, 30 of each basic will suffice in the vast majority of cases. You may be able to get away with a little less if you have lots of nonbasics to support your multicolor theme.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
Those of you who are running a peasant cube, what do you think of the idea of weakening removal in general and adding a few overcosted removal cards? Strong removal, but weak sweepers and fewer bombs, is an intrinsic feature of peasant cube it seems: most of the good removal is printed at C/U. More and more good removal accumulates with each set (well, leaving Theros and Avacyn Restored aside). Some cubers have noticed their peasant cubes starting to become unbalanced as a result and limit the total amount of removal they run.

I was thinking that an alternative might be to exclude the premier tier of removal spells and run some second-string options instead. So run Terror over Doom Blade and Go for the Throat. I was also thinking about running some expensive removal like Iona's Judgement and Annihilate on the grounds that recent sets have shown that removal is still worth drafting even if it is bad by constructed standards. Not every removal spell needs to be a snap pick. Hopefully this would also strengthen aggro, as aggro decks can go under control-ish decks running that kind of removal. I realise that aggro decks benefit from cheap removal too, but I'm adding more Nightbird's Clutches/Goblin Shortcutter effects to give them a boost. Thoughts?

Ebethron fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 25, 2013

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I run a Peasant cube, and the way I handle that situation is to run premium removal, but to limit the amount of it. For instance, I run Go for the Throat and Doom Blade, but not Ultimate Price. I think as long as you're keeping the balance of your cube in mind when adding/removing cards, you'll end up in an okay place.

EDIT: For the record, I feel that aggro and control are pretty well balanced in my cube. I ran a 6 man team draft a few weeks ago with a good mix of aggro, midrange and control decks, and nobody 3-0'd or 0-3'd, just as an example.

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 25, 2013

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Has anybody else been playtesting the Commander 2013 inclusions for their cube yet? There's a bunch (7 for my 450 powered cube?) that are surprisingly solid.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So far I'm definitely including True-Name Nemesis, Ophiomancer, and Toxic Deluge. As for possible adds, I might add Serene Master and the two good curses (i.e. Curse of Shallow Graves and Curse of Predation) but I'll need to play test with them first. Which ones have caught your eye?

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
For Peasant, I think the only auto-includes are the Green and Black Curses. Nothing else really caught my eye. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I'm excited to.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Hi there, Cube thread! I have a (perhaps unorthodox) Cube I'd like some input on. I've gone through a few revisions while designing it and I'd be interested to see what you all think. It's a reject-rare cube, and while most Cubes tend to have criteria of 'what are the 360 best cards in magic / best commons / etc', I instead decided to build it only out of rares I thought were underwhelming. If a card's TCG mid price was over a dollar when I added it, it was disqualified. (mythics were allowed to go to $1.05)*

It's supposed to be entertaining, and it's quite a peculiar environment; removal is scant except for sweepers, artifact and enchantment removal even harder to find. Fixing is...difficult. I also wanted to see if I could make One With Nothing a good card. A 1/1 with upside for two is a good deal. Players should probably be drinking.

Let me know what you think?

Fun With Nothing (reject rare cube)

*(except Tibalt, because how could I build a reject cube and not include Tibalt)

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Mr.Kite posted:

So far I'm definitely including True-Name Nemesis, Ophiomancer, and Toxic Deluge. As for possible adds, I might add Serene Master and the two good curses (i.e. Curse of Shallow Graves and Curse of Predation) but I'll need to play test with them first. Which ones have caught your eye?

psyched for unexpectantly absent and testing sudden demise as a control red card

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Mr.Kite posted:

Pretty much those ones (except I'm not a fan of Serene Master). Additionally, I like Unexpectedly Absent a lot, and I'm going to test Tempt with Vengeance as well. Fun for Purphoros and friends.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
Since I've started drafting my list weekly or more, I've kinda stopped caring about playing the current limited format.

Is this just a phase? Because I love drafting my cube, every deck looks sweet, watching the games is incredibly entertaining, and people saying that they look forward to drafting my list is just insane. But I still dig theros.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

taladel posted:

Since I've started drafting my list weekly or more, I've kinda stopped caring about playing the current limited format.

Is this just a phase? Because I love drafting my cube, every deck looks sweet, watching the games is incredibly entertaining, and people saying that they look forward to drafting my list is just insane. But I still dig theros.

I'm right there with you. Cube drafting is the only format I really play anymore. I might play the occasional modern with an old rotated standard deck (mostly affinity), but once you have a cube assembled I think it is the best magic you can play. Why? Well for starters it's free! If cost weren't an issue, I'd still like it more than your average block limited because there are so many crazy broken plays/combos and because there tends to be more variety in the decks that get built keeping the format fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

taladel posted:

No dude, that feeling is here to stay. I've been cubing for 6 years now, and it's the only Magic format that interests me anymore.