Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
He's a little too flippant with the healthcare costs I think. Once he gets in his 50s even those high deductible plans are going to be 1-2000 a month, and one post he had said he just wasn't going to get his kid braces. I'm not sure if he's expanded on it anymore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

baquerd posted:

You can specifically get maternity insurance, and if your birth goes perfectly it won't be that expensive to begin with, less than $5k.

Really? I can't imagine such a service being worth it financially since the only people who would get it would be women expecting to get pregnant soon.

That only enforces my point. He has a low rate because he and his wife are in their mid to upper 30s. When I run a husband and wife in my zip code born in 1950, lowest service is $580 a month. Born in 1960, lowest service is $380. And then consider that the average rate inflation expected by the industry is 12% a year.

Harry fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 18, 2013

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Cicero posted:

How does admitting that plans will run from around $350-$600 only 'enforce' (reinforce?) your point that those plans will be one to two thousand dollars? I too believe that when my numbers are off by a factor of 3, that only reinforces them.

Additionally, part of financial independence is usually living in a low cost-of-living area. People aiming for FI are generally willing to move somewhere where costs are cheap, and healthcare is one of those costs; apparently your area is expensive for that, so it'd be something to keep in mind and factor in.

Lastly, yeah runaway medical inflation is a problem, but I think it's one mostly orthogonal to financial independence. 12% obviously can't be sustained forever, another decade and that would have healthcare costs at over half of GDP.

Should be reinforce, phone doesn't know best. Anyway, these were flyby quotes from a website for only 2 people. Even under some dream scenario where you're only paying $380 a month at age 60, you will still be incuring a ton of medical costs from medication and any doctors visit.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

It's pretty obvious the wife doesn't care. Quit trying to pretend this is something it isn't.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

LorneReams posted:

I stand by my statement.

And if she cared she'd ask about it at some point.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

There's a difference between paying for someones college and getting them braces.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

tuyop posted:

Or just get a grip on your impulses and keep it in your chequing account.

You can kiss that money goodbye if someone gets ahold of your account number.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

Are you suggesting it is a bad idea to have a checking account at all? That is a weird post.

No, having all your money in a checking account is a bad idea.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

razz posted:

That's not how my overdraft protection works. It doesn't siphon it from my savings account. It just won't let the transaction run through.

It only happened to me once when I was spending a couple hundred bucks at the store. My card wouldn't run. It would not accept it no matter what I did, It got declined repeatedly. I called my bank to ask what was up and I guess I either enrolled in the overdraft protection or was automatically enrolled because I don't remember even knowing about it. Anyway I just transferred some money from my savings to my checking over the phone and was able to make the purchase. But no, it did not automatically take it from my savings (which is with the same bank).

Capital One and Chase (I'm assuming all major banks as well) has the option for the money to come out of your savings account automatically instead of being declined/overdrafted. It's title is something similar to overdraft protection.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I would be careful with private REITs. There's a lot of fly by night ones popping up now, that basically round up investor and ream them with fees.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

This is very much true with mutual funds as well, charging you fees to not beat the market is a racket.

Agreed, but those are federally regulated and have a much clearer picture of the fee structure. I work in the industry, and let's just say there's some winners and a lot of suckers. Especially since they're a hot investment tool these days.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Is it a 2-door or 4-door?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

How do people using Betterment avoid creating a wash sale from activity in other accounts?

E.g., I have an IRA and a 401k that are both invested in different retirement funds. The danger from this is probably pretty minimal since they don't buy or sell very often. But if I move my IRA into a Betterment account, which starts buying and selling frequently, the odds of those sales overlapping in a 60 day window probably get a lot higher.

Because your basis in a stock doesn't matter in an IRA or 401k.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I'm upset that MMM has committed wrong think as well. You should try to bait him into a Twitter exchange and have people email his work for him to get fired. Oh wait

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I don't think keeping finances completely separate and Financial Independence really meshes together. You also don't seem to understand there's a difference between positioning yourself defensively with your family and going almost out of your way to get hosed over. Just combine your finances if you want to do the stay at home dad thing.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Separated finances with mutually understood commitments to recurring expenses keep all additional discretionary spending and saving from becoming a point of contention.

I know plenty of people who do things each way, and while I wouldn't say I know many who are making separated finances work toward FI, I also don't know many who are making merged finances work toward FI. I think the only time it even becomes relevant is if you're dual income with incomes that have rough parity.

When two people have income coming in I see splitting it working (although I still don't see the point). But when you have one stop working, then having to use a bulk of their savings to pay off the mortgage where the wife then will contribute more to the monthly expenses it just doesn't make sense.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

DB plans also are not nearly as prevalent currently. Neither this generation of employees or companies want DBs. Employees want the freedom to change jobs and companies want the burden off of their shoulders in the future. The loyalty of a company to an employee, and of an employee to a company is shattered compared to the Pre-1980s.

Also the average age of a company has like halved since then. Does really make sense to rely on a defined benefit plan when the company can vanish in a year or two.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Because that's something that takes 5 minutes to explain (if it even needs to be).

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

What if I were rich and paid a lab to make a clone of myself. He would have the same genetics, and be privileged in the sense he wouldn't exist without me having money. But I wouldn't tell him how to use an online bank.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

N.N. Ashe posted:

I'm pretty gun shy about getting credit cards for rewards, then sacking them or what not. Are there some good primers on this anyone would recommend?

Chase freedom is doing a $200 reward for $500 spend. Pretty much a perfect babies first bonus. Just sign up online, get card, spend money on it, get bonus.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Another 20 something female millennial writer telling people how to live on what is most likely Daddy's dime.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

This is laughably wrong for one simple reason: you have to pay interest on the loan in addition to securing some amount of income on your investment in the triplex.

If you bought a $300k triplex with 5% down you are taking a loan for $285,000 out. What kind of loan do you get? If you can get a 6% return per annum, your monthly income is around $1500. A 30-year fixed at 4.125% means you're paying $1381.25 just to cover PI, and you still have to tack taxes & insurance on top. If you could pay no tax, and pay no insurance, you're already down to $1425/year cash flow vs the $900/year dividends for the REIT.

Now, sure, you are building equity in the property, but having bought one specific property you are not diversified. What if the market you buy in crashes hard? What if you get some tenants who destroy the interior of the home? Can you maintain the 3 units in the home to the point of preserving the value of the triplex on $525 / year? If you spend any more than that on maintenance you'd have come out ahead with the REIT.

There's risk in both, but the risk profile of owning the individual property in whole is WAY higher for not much more additional gain. I'd toss the $15k into the REIT.

Oh, did we talk about closing costs? Closing costs...

He's worded so many things wrong here, but you're not factoring in him living in one of the units. I have no idea what he means by "return" since you don't base your return off the full purchase price, and a 6% cap rate would be way too high for a triplex with one unit not collecting. But let's say each unit rents for $750 just for fun. That gives us the $1,500 a month in income we want, then we take out the mortgage of $1381.25, and let's just say $400 a month in additional expenses. So that leaves a -$281.25, but he's living in a unit rent free that goes for $750. So he's really benefitting by $468.75 a month, or $5,625 a year. His return is based on what money he put in (the $15,000), so it's a 37.5% return.

Now, if all 3 units rent for $1,500 a month, clearly it was a poo poo deal. REITS and rental properties are nowhere even close to comparable and I don't understand why people keep acting like they are.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

How are dividends taxed? Is there a cap on your mortgage when adjustment comes?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

danse macabre posted:

Short answer is that I'm not sure how dividends are taxed. It depends whether they are franked or unfranked dividends. But in any case, I'd be automatically reinvesting dividends so I wouldn't realise any gain. When I retire, I'd then start withdrawing money from my balance and be taxed at my personal income tax rate (20-40%).

I'm not sure that you mean by 'cap on my mortgage when adjustment comes' -- sorry!

--

In the US a lot of ARMs have a max about the interest can jump. So you have a 3.75%, and rates just sky rocket to 8%, some mortgages will have a max of let's say 5%.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I would say it depends what the payoff schedule looks like for the home. I think FIRE’ing without a paid off home is a terrible idea. So if you have 10 years left on the house payments, I wouldn’t accelerate the payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Exactly! You've got the freedom to change price points, neighborhoods, cities, states, anything you want. If you do that with a house, you're either going to sell it (and take a haircut from broker's fees) or rent it out, and suddenly you're a landlord to one of the worst investment vessels you could make.

Yeah there's the freedom, but what's the likely hood of you doing it? I was a big fan of that freedom, but I still lived within the same 10 mile area for 10 years (7 years renting).

It depends what kind of rental market you're in, but in Dallas for example rents average 6% increases YoY for like 8 years straight. It's leveled off some now, but your options were either pay the increased rent, most likely pay higher rent somewhere else, or move even further out. This wasn't even a market where you need first, last, and a month's security deposit to move places.