Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wroughtirony posted:

show up sober and showered
Optional.

Also the answer is text message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
It's totally E, going from personal experience.

e: supply me with Red Bull and you can do whatever the gently caress.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Wroughtirony posted:

show up sober and showered

When is the best time to ask your manager for a Saturday off?

C. Two weeks ahead of time, written on the back of a receipt you handed to the night manager.

Today's goal: No yelling

I can't make any promises.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

Today's goal: No yelling

RIP goal. 8am--11:30am. We will never forget you.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Why do you have to yell at them? Are they literally children?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For real. Yelling makes no sense.

If it's a simple job, once you build habits it's easy, you can do it on autopilot. So watch and look for the part that they're doing wrong, teach them the right way to do it, and apply constant gentle pressure. Danny Meyer that poo poo.

(PRO loving READ: http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Table...tting+the+table)

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.

Turkeybone posted:

I know, right? Why yell when you can mumble and then throw out all of someone's MEP?

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Do we all need to reread the first chapter of The Devil in the Kitchen? If you start to shift away from working in a constant state of fear then you aren't pushing yourself.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

bowmore posted:

Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?
I've had a ton of cooking jobs, only 3 of which I could listen to music at:

1st restaurant job: I started working with a cool sort of biker-punk guy there who shared my tastes, so pretty much a mixture of new and old punk. Andrew Jackson Jihad and Mischief Brew for prep shifts, Dead Kennedys and Motorhead-style stuff for line crushes. There was that one shift where we all got high and listened to the Randy Savage rap album on repeat for about 3 straight hours.

Hotel job: The kitchen was in the basement, so we would only ever pick up loving 93.7 THE BUS, the most legendarily bad radio station in this area. They play pretty much the same top 100 classic rock hits in random order, not caring about repeats. I preferred to work my breakfast shifts in amphetine-addled silence because I needed to consantly be talking with DRAs and servers to get all of the food out. If I lucked out and got a garde manger shift, I'd listen to old early '90s rock and grunge bands with the one manager. The Pixies fit that task perfectly.

Current job: My buddy's a music geek for funky stuff, so he's always bringing in some cool funk/jazz/experimental stuff that is good instead of completely loving irritating like most modern jazz (for the record, I love jazz, but I legitimately refuse to refer to SQUIDDLY-HONK-SQUEE experimental jazz as "music"). When I get radio control, I'll usually throw on some of my poppier stuff to appeal to him, like Cake, The Arrivals, or Leatherface.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

crackhaed posted:

Do we all need to reread the first chapter of The Devil in the Kitchen? If you start to shift away from working in a constant state of fear then you aren't pushing yourself.

This is literally why I'm shifting over to working days in the bakery. Breakfast doesn't keep me nervous anymore, it's gotten routine. I need more challenges.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Well, I meant "no yelling" as in also no staff yelling, no customers yelling, and the chef not yelling any more than usual. I lost two, maybe three employees today and demoted one. I think the honeymoon is finally over.

I've read Setting the Table several times, great book.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Customers yelling? Jeezy Creezy, I thought my place was bad...

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

No Wave posted:

Don't sweat it - you're a cook, they deal with cooks, cooks actually have to go to work.

Let them know you have an interview that day, they'll probably hook you up with one way sooner if you're talking to a live person.

Yeah, as long as your honest with them it won't be an issue, time an space can usually be found for a stage, after all who doesn't love free labor? Speaking of people looking for jobs, how come I can't find any line cooks in Chicago?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Aesirstorm posted:

Speaking of people looking for jobs, how come I can't find any line cooks in Chicago?

You couldn't pay me enough to work in Chicago.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This is a few days late, and it's amateur stuff, but my worst burn was a quarter-sized blob of dark roux that jumped out of a cast iron skillet onto the top of my flip-flop foot.

I swiped at it immediately but it turned into a wicked blister. Wearing oxfords was out of the question so I went in to to the office with a one shoe/one flip flop combo for the next week while the burn festered.

Thankfully I live in New Orleans so whenever people asked what was up I just said "makin gumbo and spilled some roux" and the response was usually an understanding nod.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dimloep posted:

Customers yelling? Jeezy Creezy, I thought my place was bad...

I remember that a customer at one place I worked called the black female server a "dumb negress" because he just goddamned knew that medium-well wasn't supposed to have that little sliver of pink in it. She spent the rest of the night crying because the manager tried to make her apologize to the gentleman without knowing what actually happened first. This is why in order to work FoH, I would need one of those little Hannibal Lecter masks.

On a separate note, gently caress every medium-well eater. I can understand how some doobers love eating burnt, flavorless meat, but I really can't even think of why someone would demand medium-well. And they are never happy with how it turns out. If I cook it perfectly medium-well, with that little pink sliver in there, then it's too raw for them. If I don't do the sliver, then it's over-cooked. When I get mid-well orders in, I just let that fucker go on the cooler part of the grill until it's well-done, so it's at least a juicy well-done. I remember with fondness the one place at work where the FoH manager actually had pamphlets printed out to show the customers when they got riled up over meat temps to prove them wrong. That guy was seriously awesome at his job (not really for the pamphlets, but with how well he whipped that circus into shape).

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Plan Z posted:

I remember with fondness the one place at work where the FoH manager actually had pamphlets printed out to show the customers when they got riled up over meat temps to prove them wrong.

We serve breakfast. This breakfast includes eggs. I had pamphlets printed up explaining the differences between over easy/medium/well/hard. Absolute lifesaver for training staff and for the occasional cranky customer.

Speaking of cranky customers we had one today get very angry to the point of me considering inviting him to leave because the server couldn't figure out what he wanted to eat when he asked for "the one served on a crepe" while our menu is 70% crepes. He ended up ordering a salad :bang:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I used to work for a boss who'd scream at the employees whether there were customers in the store or not. I still remember her screaming a delivery driver to get out of her shop while the restaurant was packed out on a saturday. That was the reason I didn't quit my job but simply didn't show up and put my phone in airport mode.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I didn't mean for my comment to come off like that, I really wanted to know more details about this gig. I was asking more of "What is(are) the behavior(s) that would be cause for yelling?" not "HOW DARE YOU SPANK YOUR CHILDREN!"

e: I will say my exec chef rarely yelled, it was more like a sports dad just tearing me down: "I'm 10 years older than you, why am I moving faster than you," "You need to get your poo poo together if you want to be in charge here," "I'm really embarrassed at how this kitchen is working," "how many times are you going to gently caress up risotto?" on and on. And it was never me in particular, just whoever managed to catch his eye/was going slowest. This was only when he came on the line to help out/expo.. he got flashbacks of San Fransisco in the 90s and would just go full rear end in a top hat. If anything, it made us work harder. On a concert night with just me and the grill cook on, I would start our pre-shift peptalk with "no matter what happens, chef is NOT coming back on THIS loving LINE TONIGHT!!!"

City chat:

What's wrong with Chicago? It seems like a great "2nd tier, if not 1st tier" food city?

How would you even group the big food cities, anyway? In my mind it's like

1st tier: NYC, LA, SF, Chicago is somewhere inbetween here and the next level
2nd tier: Portland, Seattle, Philly, DC, again Chicago??
3rd tier: Baltimore, Atlanta, um... Sacramento?

I will be the first to say that it's really just familiarity that helps me categorize these, and not really and kind of "X is better than Y." Like, "There's tons of awesome places in NYC, there's a good number of places in DC, there's some interesting things in Baltimore, and New Jersey is a loving soulless cesspool." But please, I really have no idea where some cities belong. Like is Atlanta really this amazing food scene that I don't know a loving thing about? Where does Austin fit in? Please discuss.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 29, 2013

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, I have no sympathy for the people online who do the whole "retail work is hell!" routine. I did retail for a long time, and heaches come frmo people who just want to get through the line, or occasionally ask a dumb question or two. One woman I worked with called customers rude assholes because they didn't want to get dragged into a long conversation about how funny Betty White is when they're pulling their kids through checkout. In the restaurant industry, the customers can spout disgusting, hateful bullshit and still be referred to as "sir" and apologized to for the inconvenience.

I seriously wonder where the sense of entitlement to be a total shithead or refuse tips comes from for these people. Forced to wait in line for 20 minutes to buy over-priced clothing or video games for hundreds of dollars? Perfectly fine. Waitress informing you that your $6 burger is dry because you insisted it not be sent out until you spent another 20 minutes eating your salad? "STUPIDBITCHGODDAMN Honey get your coat, I'm gonna get on Angie's List and tear these people a new rear end in a top hat!"

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

What's wrong with Chicago? It seems like a great "2nd tier, if not 1st tier" food city?

I make more in Austin than I would in Chicago, the rent's cheaper, and Austin's food scene is growing.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
I think Chicago's a first tier food city, and the cost of living is considerably lower than either SanFran or NYC. The food scene here is fairly dynamic, there's a handful of world class restaurants and a really large amount of ones interesting/just really loving good food. Just don't work for the BOKA group.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Chicago is iffy 1/2. I was really impressed by what I saw a lot of the time, and really unimpressed by what I saw a lot of the time. A solid 2 at least though.

Atlanta is clawing it's way up, but it's really just a 3 at the moment. there is a really awesome food scene centered around southern foodways, but it's kind of one note. fun things do happen, and our number of famous people and outstanding restaurants are increasing, but the majority of the city just wants to eat loving 12 dollar fancy burgers.

Austin I'd definitely put on the tier 3 list, good things happen in Austin.

I've never been to LA or SF - are they really tier 1?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You couldn't pay me enough to work in Chicago.

You could pay me enough to work in Chicago.

It'd be a very large "enough".

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

mindphlux posted:

Chicago is iffy 1/2. I was really impressed by what I saw a lot of the time, and really unimpressed by what I saw a lot of the time. A solid 2 at least though.

Atlanta is clawing it's way up, but it's really just a 3 at the moment. there is a really awesome food scene centered around southern foodways, but it's kind of one note. fun things do happen, and our number of famous people and outstanding restaurants are increasing, but the majority of the city just wants to eat loving 12 dollar fancy burgers.

Austin I'd definitely put on the tier 3 list, good things happen in Austin.

I've never been to LA or SF - are they really tier 1?

San Francisco certainly is, it's just a shade shy of New York, and most of that is probably the fact that it's a smaller city. I sort of doubt LA is first tier – it just doesn't have that feel to it.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
No way in hell is LA a top tier food city. It's come a long way in the past decade though.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I would say:

1- NYC, SF
2- Portland, Seattle, Chicago
3- Philly, DC, Austin, etc.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Don't beef on Philly. The BYOB culture makes for a lot of really great little places, it's not all roast cheesesteaks and Garces joints.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I'm not in the industry but I am surprised not to see New Orleans on any of those lists. Does it still suffer from the Alan Richman attitude? I mean there are not a ton of avant-garde places but in the last decade a bunch of real top notch restaurants have opened up and gained pretty wide acclaim.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Well that seemed to go well. Guy was already 4 coffees in and shaking like a discount space shuttle when he interviewed me, so I feel that me being on 5 hours sleep and no food balanced it out. Place seemed classy, only 8 months old and gearing up for the fall season. It's their first restaurant, they seem to usually be one of like 20 music venues, half of which are in NYC. Seems like a nice crossover, since they often cater to their own venue next door. They're even hiring for backwait/busser/runner stuff, so fingers crossed. Guess the only problem is that they're open until 1am, and the T stops running at midnight, so we'll see if I can pull this off without walking for 3 hours back home every night.

...I never did ask if he was hiring full or part time. Cripes. I hope I don't end up with one shift one day a week or something.

Regarding Chicago, is it just me, or is it one of those major cities nobody ever wants to talk about? "New York City is king, Los Angeles is an awesome shithole, Portland is hipster central, Boston is full of elitist smug pricks, and... what? Chicago? No. We don't talk about Chicago."

As if it's populated by automatons or humans who somehow hosed up enough that they have to live there now.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Is there a big stereotype for Chicago? I keep hearing "up and coming arts/food/culture/tango dancing scene", even though Chicago has been around as long as SF has.

I guess Chicago is known for it's... baseball rivalry?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
That's it... Chicago is the eternal runner-up. The consolation city. The pied piper of 2nd place; based solely on tradition and not actual experience or evidence.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

down1nit posted:

Is there a big stereotype for Chicago? I keep hearing "up and coming arts/food/culture/tango dancing scene", even though Chicago has been around as long as SF has.

I guess Chicago is known for it's... baseball rivalry?
Hey man don't be forgettin' about the dogs

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I went to chicago pretty much solely to eat at Next restaurant for my bday last year, had some lovely goat at a mexican place that only does birria, and stumbled on publican and a couple other joints that were pretty solid - the only time the food was poo poo was at hotdog/pizza places. the architecture downtown was pretty loving awesome, and the transit seemed at least a solid class up from Atlanta.

so, while chicago may be in the middle of loving nowhere and I don't understand how anyone could ever live there, I wouldn't complain about it as a place to visit / food scene

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

You think Chicago is in the middle of nowhere? :psyduck: And somehow Atlanta is more important/relevant? Not to get off track, but...what the gently caress?

This is coming from someone in Houston FWIW.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

You think Chicago is in the middle of nowhere? :psyduck: And somehow Atlanta is more important/relevant? Not to get off track, but...what the gently caress?

This is coming from someone in Houston FWIW.

poo poo man, if Chicago is the middle of nowhere, I must be off the drat map entirely six hours west of 'em.

You people in Denver are clearly on the Moon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
No way man, atlanta is pretty irrelevant on a national/global scale outside of it being a transit hub at the moment?

but...

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!
If you're going to put Austin on the short list, you have to include Houston. Much deeper and more diverse restaurant scene, even if only by sheer numbers, and while the fine dining scene needs improvement, the ethnic/international restaurant scene is easily top 5, I'd argue top 3, in the country.

Las Vegas should be on the list somewhere too; though this is from someone who's purposely never eaten a meal on the Strip.

I love visiting New Orleans, but I think it's actually a contender for "most overrated" food city in the country. The culinary offerings are just one-dimensionally tied to Cajun/Creole/Southern influences, with maybe the odd Vietnamese restaurant thrown in. Beyond that, restaurant pickings start to get slim. The old guard restaurants are mostly coasting on their laurels, and the new wave of Southern/Creole-influenced cooking, while enjoyable, is nothing you can't find in any Southern city with a strong culinary scene, e.g. Atlanta, Charleston, Houston, etc.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tom Rakewell posted:

If you're going to put Austin on the short list, you have to include Houston. Much deeper and more diverse restaurant scene, even if only by sheer numbers, and while the fine dining scene needs improvement, the ethnic/international restaurant scene is easily top 5, I'd argue top 3, in the country.

Las Vegas should be on the list somewhere too; though this is from someone who's purposely never eaten a meal on the Strip.

I love visiting New Orleans, but I think it's actually a contender for "most overrated" food city in the country. The culinary offerings are just one-dimensionally tied to Cajun/Creole/Southern influences, with maybe the odd Vietnamese restaurant thrown in. Beyond that, restaurant pickings start to get slim. The old guard restaurants are mostly coasting on their laurels, and the new wave of Southern/Creole-influenced cooking, while enjoyable, is nothing you can't find in any Southern city with a strong culinary scene, e.g. Atlanta, Charleston, Houston, etc.

I don't know man, I'd argue against Houston. For me, Austin makes the list because of number nationally recognized chefs, and a very vibrant street food + bbq scene. I'm not an expert on Houston or anything (I was only born there...), but for me it just doesn't stack up.

I agree about New Orleans, that was my experience as well. Some really great food, but one dimensional, and anytime I ventured outside of Nicer Restaurants the food quality was complete trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I put in my resume to be promoted to sous today. Here's hoping I beat out any outside apps!

• Locked thread