Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Black August posted:

Well that seemed to go well. Guy was already 4 coffees in and shaking like a discount space shuttle when he interviewed me, so I feel that me being on 5 hours sleep and no food balanced it out. Place seemed classy, only 8 months old and gearing up for the fall season. It's their first restaurant, they seem to usually be one of like 20 music venues, half of which are in NYC. Seems like a nice crossover, since they often cater to their own venue next door. They're even hiring for backwait/busser/runner stuff, so fingers crossed. Guess the only problem is that they're open until 1am, and the T stops running at midnight, so we'll see if I can pull this off without walking for 3 hours back home every night.

...I never did ask if he was hiring full or part time. Cripes. I hope I don't end up with one shift one day a week or something.

Regarding Chicago, is it just me, or is it one of those major cities nobody ever wants to talk about? "New York City is king, Los Angeles is an awesome shithole, Portland is hipster central, Boston is full of elitist smug pricks, and... what? Chicago? No. We don't talk about Chicago."

As if it's populated by automatons or humans who somehow hosed up enough that they have to live there now.
Chicago's really neat. What's most remarkable about it to me is that it strictly dominates Boston. It is better in every single way and worse in zero ways, except I guess being 4 degrees colder on average during winter months.

Of course, the last time I ate there I went to Alinea, which of course will alter my perceptions a little bit.

Also, if you ever end up anywhere in Boston, let me know where (via PM if you want privacy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

No Wave posted:

Chicago's really neat. What's most remarkable about it to me is that it strictly dominates Boston. It is better in every single way and worse in zero ways, except I guess being 4 degrees colder on average during winter months.

Of course, the last time I ate there I went to Alinea, which of course will alter my perceptions a little bit.

Also, if you ever end up anywhere in Boston, let me know where (via PM if you want privacy).

Oh, I do live in Boston already, it's why I'm looking for work here, hopefully before I have no money left to pay rent. I always felt this joke article summed up the place pretty well.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pretty-cute-watching-boston-residents-play-daily-g,31554/

I mean for crying out loud most restaurants and bars close at 2am, and the T doesn't even operate past midnight. God drat wannabe baby city.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I put in my resume to be promoted to sous today. Here's hoping I beat out any outside apps!

Good luck with that hopefully you can kick the others in the balls and make your way to the top

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I put in my resume to be promoted to sous today. Here's hoping I beat out any outside apps!

Good luck, dude. I had an interview yesterday for sous at a small hotel with Hr and it really well, but the chef wasn't at the property, so tomorrow I'm going to have an interview him. And it's a hotel, so if that poo poo goes well the next step is drug test, backround check all that jazz, ugggh. I'm unemployed in two weeks I wish this poo poo hurry up.

I had an interview at another place today for sous of this little place and I sit down they are like we'll it's not really sous more of a lead line..."
"Is this a salaried position, at least?" "Oh well, it's starts hour and eventually if things work well..."

Thanks for putting up an add for sous and wasting my time, rear end in a top hat. I could have met with the hotel chef today.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Dimloep posted:

Customers yelling? Jeezy Creezy, I thought my place was bad...

So one of the front desk girls comes though the kitchen on her way to lunch, and she looks frazzled. She tells me there's this dude who's been calling every minute for the past three hours, slinging all kinds of poo poo at her, at one point calling her a "dirty whore". I don't understand what goes through some peoples' minds. If that had happened to me, I'd be spending my lunch break in the GM's office.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

mindphlux posted:

I don't know man, I'd argue against Houston. For me, Austin makes the list because of number nationally recognized chefs, and a very vibrant street food + bbq scene. I'm not an expert on Houston or anything (I was only born there...), but for me it just doesn't stack up.

I agree about New Orleans, that was my experience as well. Some really great food, but one dimensional, and anytime I ventured outside of Nicer Restaurants the food quality was complete trash.

The amusing thing is that outsiders, especially national food writers, like to pigeonhole Houston as nothing but BBQ, burgers, and Tex Mex, and that's really how I'd sum up most of Austin. Actually, BBQ is the only food category where I'd say Austin beats Houston.

If you're talking about street food (granted, you'd have to change this to rustic mom and pop cooking spread out among many suburban strip malls), Houston has to rank near the top of the country by sheer volume alone: 500+ Mexican (not Tex-Mex) restaurants, 250+ Vietnamese restaurants, 150+ Cajun/Creole restaurants, 150+ Indian/Pakistani restaurants, and dozens of authentic Chinese, Colombian, other South American, Salvadoran, other Central American, West African, Korean, Ethiopian, and Middle Eastern restaurants. I've been spending the past year travelling across major food cities with a focus on street food joints, and I feel very comfortable saying Houston has the strongest Vietnamese and Indo-Pakistani restaurant scenes in the country, and probably Mexican depending on how the regional breakdown of the population fits your food preferences.

Austin doesn't even come close in any of those categories; save for a few odd standouts across the board (Asia Cafe and Din Ho for Chinese, New India and Swad for Indian, Rio and Sao Paulo's for Brazilian, etc), the street food scene is mostly white hipsters doing toned down food truck fare or expensive Americanized bistro fare. I love visiting Austin and touring the restaurant scene (which seems to go through trends and have staff move around like crazy every few months), but I always come back to Houston grateful to the vast diversity there.

Houston still has to do some work on the high end chef scene, and that's tough because right now there's a big disconnect between the people that are doing interesting things and the people that are good at capturing PR attention. That said, there are a few really cool high end restaurants that may not go through the luxury routines of your average Michelin candidate, but offer exciting and unique food that draws from the city's vast international influences as a whole, instead of the usual cookie cutter post-culinary school New American fare.

Note: I realize that maybe 3 people in this thread might actually care about Houston vs. Austin, but, hey, I think it's a point worth making. Maybe later I'll try to do a set of tier rankings based solely on street food and international fare.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Isn't Houston also the 4th biggest city in the country?

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Isn't Houston also the 4th biggest city in the country?

Well yeah, that's a big part of it. It's also why New York, Chicago, and L.A. have to come up at some point in the conversation.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tom Rakewell posted:

Note: I realize that maybe 3 people in this thread might actually care about Houston vs. Austin, but, hey, I think it's a point worth making. Maybe later I'll try to do a set of tier rankings based solely on street food and international fare.

I've never gotten to really explore Houston because I'm never there for long, and when I am, I'm not in a frame of mind to go adventuring. I'm usually there in the middle of a long trip, picking up/dropping off my car at the airport. And I'm faced with the following decision: Do I eat at Beavers, or do I eat someplace that is not Beavers? Sorry, rest of Houston.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Second interview for hotel sous job, this time with the chef. Tough interview but went well, and he told me without telling me that I did good and I(think, because they are not really aloud to say) I'm going to be put forward to the next step. But if they call me back, its for a second interview with the GM, and then I have to do a tasting if that goes through. Then drug test/background.

Uhhhhg why does this take so long? My restaurant i work at is closing in a week and a half and I dont want to have all my eggs in one basket, but I loving want this one. And stuff gets complicated when you have interviews/trails/work everyday of the week when you are trying to hold out for the one you want.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So, if you didn't do a tasting, why was it a hard interview? What did he ask?

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
There was a lot of "tell me a time when you hosed up x, y, z, a and b and what did you do?" and there is a lot of administrative poo poo I hadn't done before even though, and this a hotel gig so it's a lot of that. And some hotel specific poo poo like "progressive discipline"( writing people up and poo poo) that I hadn't done before. It was an hour interview and I was just getting blasted with questions the whole time.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Word, it sounds like a reasonable behavioral interview. This is for some medium to large chain hotel (not that that is a bad thing)? Typically the interview stuff is standardized across franchises, if not the entire brand.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
It's actually for a really small company, but the sous has a ton of responsibility. Basically there is one head chef for two properties and one sous at each property who are in charge all aspects of the daily operation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow. That's as serious a position as there is, really, and I do have to warn you that they're probably going to put you through the ringer before hiring you. Good luck!

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Wait, places drug test the chefs?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

crackhaed posted:

Wait, places drug test the chefs?

Yeah, if you come up negative, they send you back a proper kitchen for a few weeks until you pop for stimulants and weed.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
It's sad that they won't just assume you're high at work anymore.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Well, it's been a week and I've fired someone, hired someone, had someone quit in the middle of a shift for good reason and had someone walk out in the middle of a shift for no good reason. Almost the whole staff hates me and multiple plots are being hatched to smear and libel my good name to the owners of the company, our longtime regulars, and anyone else who will listen.

But things are cleaner, a few disgusting/unsafe practices have been halted, and the schedule makes sense. The chef likes me and my boss has my back and knows better than to believe the gossip. All in all, a good first week.

2nd week focus: How to get through the growing pains without cranky servers negatively impacting customer service.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus. Do go on.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

Well, it's been a week and I've fired someone, hired someone, had someone quit in the middle of a shift for good reason and had someone walk out in the middle of a shift for no good reason. Almost the whole staff hates me and multiple plots are being hatched to smear and libel my good name to the owners of the company, our longtime regulars, and anyone else who will listen.

But things are cleaner, a few disgusting/unsafe practices have been halted, and the schedule makes sense. The chef likes me and my boss has my back and knows better than to believe the gossip. All in all, a good first week.

2nd week focus: How to get through the growing pains without cranky servers negatively impacting customer service.

Changing the working culture of a place is never easy and I think as long as you have your manager on side there really isn't a huge amount to worry about tbh. It might be a rough few weeks but things will improve eventually.

I found out yesterday if I'd aimed higher up the restaurant ladder in Sydney I probably would've gotten a better job with higher pay even though at the time I was unqualified as a chef. The teacher who's qualifying me as a chef said that most places that are decent won't look at your lack of quals as a downside and instead would ride you for a week and if you made it through that then you'd have a job. Only wish I'd known that then rather than working in the massive amount of crap house kitchens I worked in but thats in the past so theres not a huge amount I can do now.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Have any of you guys ever worked in Hong Kong? I generally keep to the more local restaurants, but lately I've been exploring the fancy world of white executive chefs and the even fancier world of white wait staff. I went to "L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon" last week, which apparently has a billion Michelin stars. It has a show kitchen so you can watch everything happening and I was able to enjoy the comically French executive chef chastising his local cooks. Fun stuff.

And have any of you worked in show kitchens? I feel like there would be a lot more pressure in an environment like that. It was also squeaky clean, which I imagine most restaurant kitchens are not.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The kitchen I work in is a show kitchen of sorts. It's not an open kitchen except for the 2 chef's takes in the kitchen itself. Most guests are brought back for a tour and to meet chef after dinner. (It's also a good way to turn over tables :ssh: end the tour at the front door and wish them a good night)

There's lots of brass and copper that needs polished. When a tour is announced a furious quick cleaning happens. When the kitchen tables are in use there's all sorts of rules about what can and can't happen in the kitchen. Basically no joking around all business, only one allowed to talk is chef or one of the sous to call out orders.

It's intimidating at first but you get used to it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wroughtirony posted:

I've never gotten to really explore Houston because I'm never there for long, and when I am, I'm not in a frame of mind to go adventuring. I'm usually there in the middle of a long trip, picking up/dropping off my car at the airport. And I'm faced with the following decision: Do I eat at Beavers, or do I eat someplace that is not Beavers? Sorry, rest of Houston.

I was the bar manager at Beavers when they opened. Eat there.

Go with Christ
Jan 14, 2006

"Teacher,which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" She replied, "Clean your stove with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." :chef:
:psyduck:

gently caress the second store I cover at. gently caress it.

Just called the DM and told him to get my opening shift tomorrow covered because I'm not walking into a store with dishes undone and crusty, garbage not taken out, opening driver a call out that the GM couldn't be arsed to tell me about, the GM himself coming in and who is leaving on Sunday telling me I shouldn't be so upright and to "have a few drinks before coming to work."

Can't even write straight I'm so pissed off at this poo poo. If I ever left a place in this condition I'd be crucified and rightly so.

Anyone in Boston and need any help in BoH I have ServSafe and AllergenAwareness and not much experience but a whoooole lot of hustle and drive.

Go with Christ fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 1, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Go with Christ posted:

Anyone in Boston and need any help in BoH I have ServSafe and AllergenAwareness and not much experience but a whoooole lot of hustle and drive.
Apply some places. Aim high, good established restaurants will absolutely run you into the ground for poo poo pay but at least they will generally do it in a sanitary and structured way.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Same goes for anyone in Boston who wants or needs a fervent busser who has also done barbacking and some serving, and will work like Satan himself has a pitchfork at my back. God drat, I only applied to 5 places today but it felt like 20 with all the walking I had to do. I gotta start sending thank you emails and doing callbacks tomorrow. Everything is always smiles and handshakes and such but you never know if they even give a drat.

Sao
Sep 29, 2008
Tonight I broke my two day streak of not yelling at any of my cooks and sent one home during dinner service. I have two cooks that I need to replace ASAfuckingP, and about five more that are on a massage list I can't wait to get started on. I don't understand people and the longer I go having to babysit grown men who should loving know better - on everything from showing up on time, to putting food that falls on the ground onto the grill - I feel my grip on being calm and rational slowly slipping away. Is it bad that at this point I'm hoping for an economic collapse in my region so people with work ethic will be looking for work?

At least I'm not on salary.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Hello all, count me among those who cannot wait to get out of the restaurant industry. I've worked in casual chain, mom and pop kitchens, "upscale" seafood and BBQ and come to the conclusion that it is all poo poo. I just found out that I'm going to be delayed a year before starting school so I'm in the lovely position of switching my mindset from not giving a gently caress about my last six months. On the upside, reading this thread has been a very powerful reminder of why I swore I would starve under a bridge before working fullservice again.

Highlights of my so-called career so far:

- Cleaning up the aftermath of a grease trap backup. If you haven't experienced this, remember Tremors 2 and the exploded graboids? poo poo looks like the insides, has the consistency of liquified plastic, and smells like someone seared a wart-infested anus with a melted plastic rod and let that smell marinate in an airtight room for a month.

- Getting kicked out in the middle of service because I rolled my eyes at a server. I don't do the whole FOH v. BOH crap but at capacity on a Friday evening is not the best time to have literally <50% order accuracy. This was the same place that staffed an Oompa Loompa, rarely had amuse more than 30 minutes into service, and ended up having their entire chain bought out for less than dollar value and their entire board of directors fired the next day.

- The BBQ I worked for did catering, and each store had a car that was covered in a giant company ad. Every square inch minus the legally required clear areas like the windshield and headlights. One of the catering guys was running late one day so he decided to hit 90 on the highway. Of course he gets pulled over. Bad enough that he's sitting there in a car with the company name proudly displayed on the side, the client he was on his way to deliver to actually passed him while the cop was writing out the ticket. Somehow he didn't get fired. Not a month later I missed a turn on a run out in BFE, got busted for going ten over in a small town speed trap to the tune of $250, and realized I had left a dessert item at the store....40 loving minutes away. I don't miss catering runs.

-Dislocating a shoulder. I only add this because I'm pretty sure this is a relatively rare injury in foodservice. Hurt like hell but the demerol was well worth it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Chef's having me run the night line this week, looks like I'm being tested for sous.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I really did enjoy running the line, that part was fun. When I was in the groove, I was off Tuesday-Wednesday. Thursday was pretty much just a prep day. Friday Saturday I would do prep and come on the line when it got busy, Sunday/Monday were chef's days off so I ran the show and prepped/worked saute. Sunday was supposed to be a whatever day, but it grew and grew and grew each week-- the catch-up day with skeleton crew and powerwashing, ugh it invariably ended up being the shittiest day, always.

But Friday Saturday, we had all hands on deck, I would spend the early day on some big project (the poo poo that we can't afford to gently caress up, like gnocchi/seafood/giant batches of pickled stuff/sauces), then would help other stations get ready for service. We opened the bar at 4, the dining room at 5:30. Invariably I'd have to help saute mount sauces, or grill to make his bearnaise. If there was time, I loved being the little Red Bull gnome and sneaking off to the store down the road before service. It was really one of my favorite things to do. Half the time I even paid for them. Then we would get the reservation breakdown, and figure out when our lovely times were going to be. Then I'd do final checks on each station, go change my apron (and maybe jacket) and put on side towels like a bandolier and head in between the two stations.

I became the air-traffic controller, calling out orders and putting tickets in front of each station (arm's length away). The grill was designed to be pretty self sufficient, but I made sure to watch stuff on the grill (which was directly behind me more or less) and also help pass pans back and forth (to heat grill's sides). The "middle" as I was called was definitely more skewed to the saute side. I would do almost all hot apps (pork belly was in and out of the "hot oven," the down-low 500+ convection, so the saute guy did that start to finish), and I would pass proteins to him as well (proteins were under the grill in a fridge-drawer; since I knew the count this made things easy, he cooked what I passed him). I would organize tickets into flights as they fired.. I did what I could to make those guys not look at tickets and freak out, but just "let me handle the tickets, all you have to do is cook what I say, easy." I would constantly repeat what was down and what was on fire: "from you I need two chicken, three halibut, and a pork belly, and from you I got two veg and four steaks, 1 rare 3 Mid-rare." Just over and over, so nobody would get distracted or lost. This was all fluid, of course, so I'd also do whatever they needed to get food in the window. I pretty much lived in that 3'x3' square of line for the night.

We typically had two, two-and-a-half turns.. sometimes more (and that's when poo poo got fatigued). The first turn would get into full swing by 6. The second turn, well.. every mother fucker in Baltimore apparently wants to eat at 7pm, so honestly that's when we had the LEAST reservations, as we would always try to push people to 6:30 or 7:30. So the second turn would ramp up around 7:30. Then we would have turn three-ish. Sometimes we would get hosed at 8:30, and sometimes it was too nice or too crowded or who knows. It would trickle until 9:30 or so, then we would be "off" and I'd go back to prep and we would start thinking about breaking down.

It was around 9:30 when I would cook myself some scrap of something, and head off the line to go into "breakdown" mode. I'd take this little scrap and go sit in the beer cooler, tucked away on a milk crate and eat my little dinner, letting my feet out of their shoes to rest on the cold concrete of the cooler. This was my cigarette break, being in the minority who didn't use any drugs beyond alcohol. Then I'd go up to the office to get some new prep sheets to fill out, passing by the bare walls of the elevator shaft on which we wrote the names of employees who had left this fair restaurant. Then an hour checking stations and pulling stuff from the freezer (we prepped and froze tons of stuff, so a big job was pulling items and sauces and organizing that loving freezer.. loving fishtubs stacked six feet tall.. say what you will about freezing product but we made it work and it was all great), then clean up, either drink there or go to one of the other typical hangouts, sometimes we would take over the rear dining room after service and awkwardly hang out with the front of house.

Haha, here I am 1:30pm on a Friday where I typically would be stressing so hard.. that seems so far away now.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Hello fellow slaves.

I'm a line cook in New Orleans in the CBD. I have been at my current restaurant for 6 weeks. Before that I worked at a kosher restaurant in uptown Nola, where I worked the line/expo for around 3 months, before that I was food prep for 2 months, and before that I was the dishwasher for 2 months.

That's my whole resume. I didn't know how to do any kind of cooking before that and I had no knife skills. I dated a girl here who was an excellent cook who was finishing up her JWU dietetics internship in Nola. She inspired me to get a job in a kitchen rather than going straight to culinary school. We aren't dating anymore, but she is very proud of my evolution :)

Its been exhausting and I have submitted to loads of bullshit, poo poo pay, working doubles while very sick during 2 weeks of Mardi Gras, taking puke breaks from the line because of no sick days, and even working after finding out that my old army teammate killed himself. I went along with all this simply because I was new and felt that it was only fair for me to earn my way.

At this new place, our stations are in full view of customers and we generally have a line going out the door and down the sidewalk. If I'm on the line, I just keep my eyes on the cutting board when the day-long rush starts.
The best days are when I not on the line and I'm working the meats case or doing food prep, but thats usually only 2 days of the week. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I started training with the butchers after my am shift, because that's when the pigs come in. I am into butchering now, even as a vegetarian. Its very quiet, relaxing work, and no one bitches at you. In fact, all the chefs above me are giving me much less poo poo now. Even my sous, who slowly started to despise me, has been giving me the ol' pat-on-the-back for clocking out and staying to learn.

The kosher kitchen I first worked at had to close a month earlier than expected for the summer, so I ended up being homeless for a few weeks, showering at friends houses. I thought I would have another month to save money, and my roommate got us kicked out a few weeks before our lease ended. When I staged at my current restaurant I was still sleeping in my car, so needless to say I worked my rear end off so I would get hired.
Now the kosher kitchen is opening up again soon, and Chef told me I will get a substantial raise, a laid-back prep job, and she will work with my other schedule down to weekly changes if necessary. I want the extra cash obviously, so I'll work the tough new job in the am/lunch, and then head uptown for the other kitchen.

So, anyway, I have been using my first *real* knife for a few weeks now, an 8" Shun Premier chef knife. I have been bleeding a lot lately, but I love having a sharp blade.

Anyone else in Nola?

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 2, 2013

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Do you have equipment for butchering whole pigs? That blade won't stay sharp for long if you're hacking bones with it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Does your restaurant start with a C, L, or an M?

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Turkeybone posted:

Do you have equipment for butchering whole pigs? That blade won't stay sharp for long if you're hacking bones with it.

We have various $20 dexter blades and a huge hacksaw. Yeah, there is no way my blade is going near a pig.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Does your restaurant start with a C, L, or an M?

I sure hope so, since I dipped on Tales this year and need to go visit a few of my transplanted homies.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sweet sauced poo poo on a griddle, I think I did it. Had an exhausted day, caught a busser listing that went up on craigslist. Called to see if they were open, studied their website, zipped down two hours later with a resume. Talked to the owner and he told me to be back the next day at 4:30 for a trial run. So off I go, and I hope it means I get the position and something close to full time. I actually felt dumb when he asked me if I had any sick days at my last job, and I just blurted out the truth -- no, not one. Which I know sounds absurd but he seemed to believe me, and it was true, which is weird when I think about it. I'm not sure how I avoided any plagues considering how gross that bistro was.

Either way, this place is $7.00 an hour plus tips instead of $3.00 like my last gig, so if it gets any kind of appreciable traffic, this may be the job for me! I am so so relieved, though I should keep it in check. Dude may just decide I'm not slick enough for the position, and maybe being hired so quickly is a bad sign. But then, it IS a training/test day.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I am very tired so I'm gonna keep it short, but goddamn as a young cook working under a chef I have incredible respect for, and coming off a couple weeks of lovely days, it means an amazing amount to me when I rock grill on a busy rear end night (in both ala carte and banquets) and my chef tells me that I really brought my A-game.

Think I'm getting my mojo back, bit by bit.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So this past Thursday, I was supposed to get my first taste of working the hot line. Last second though I got moved back to my normal spot on the raw bar and desserts. It was probably a good thing however since it seemed like the guys who normally work the hot line had no idea what they were doing. I think the chef wanted to wait until we weren't so busy to give me my first go. I think because we had around 400 on the books including a large party, he didn't want it to get any more hosed then it ended up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm actually kinda loving life in a kitchen atm despite losing one of my jobs. They decided to call me up and tell me they had no more shifts because they needed someone more than one day a week which is fine cause I was looking for a way out of that job and they've given it to me.

Outside of that I think getting my quals as a chef has been one of the best decisions I've made. I'm a fair way above the class so I cruise around and end up doing other peoples prep work but it's gotten the chef in charge of teaching on my side to the point that he's modifying the recipes for sections I'll be in to suit my level of ability which is incredibly nice. At the same time the section that I'm with for class is learning a huge amount off of me as I'm the old head in a class of mostly young guns. I think part of gaining that respect at Tafe is making me work better when I'm in the kitchen. We did a wedding today for 60 people and apart from the amount of prep involved it worked out pretty well tbh. We haven't done a function at work in quite some time but unlike the last one were we got pressed for time and things almost came unstuck but somehow pulled through. I think working in a small team at Tafe but also looking after the class as a whole means that in a kitchen where theres only the 3 of us fosters a certain amount of closeness where we look after each other when things are looking tough.

• Locked thread