Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Mellow Mushroom owns and the $2.50 pint drink special on Tuesdays is awesome.

That's all I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Willie Tomg posted:

"minimum 3 years casual fine dining exp" is such a perfect bullshit sentence I don't even wanna take it apart and ruin its majesty.

That right there is a perfect example of patter thrown into the description to scare off the truly unqualified. Show up to the interview 5 minutes early, firm handshake, clean clothes, don't be a space alien in the interview, display interest and intelligence and trainability and don't be loving lying when you say you'll work like a goddamned immigrant. Enjoy the road to the James Beard awards.

I had one interview that I showed up 10 minutes early to, and I guess the guy scheduled to interview before me didn't show up and I forgot to give my name when I said "Hi, I'm here for an interview." So the first question in the interview was an angry "Are you [NotSkwirl]." Once i cleared up that I wasn't the guy before me it went a lot smoother and I got the job, but it freaked me out because i'd only worked one other place before and it was probably my fourth interview ever.

In retrospect, being early and having the previous interviewee pull a no call no show probably helped my chances. So if you get an interview, try and find out who's supposed to be there before you and slash their tires.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Willie Tomg posted:

"minimum 3 years casual fine dining exp" is such a perfect bullshit sentence I don't even wanna take it apart and ruin its majesty.

That right there is a perfect example of patter thrown into the description to scare off the truly unqualified. Show up to the interview 5 minutes early, firm handshake, clean clothes, don't be a space alien in the interview, display interest and intelligence and trainability and don't be loving lying when you say you'll work like a goddamned immigrant. Enjoy the road to the James Beard awards.

I'll have you know I've been fine at casual dining all my life

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Skwirl posted:

"Excellent knife skills, no children and no felony convictions."

also this should be the thread title

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

To me the Mellow Mushroom is casual fine dining.

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Canuck-Errant posted:

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

Well that's pretty obvious, as near as I can tell the Empire ended galactic slavery.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Well that's pretty obvious, as near as I can tell the Empire ended galactic slavery.

Only you don't count the droids, bioscum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Only you don't count the droids, bioscum.

A generation ago they tried to conquer the galaxy and killed most of the Jedi.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Field Mousepad posted:

Wanna go fast!

Yeah. When you're struggling to finish your mis before you have to take your lunch break early because x means y means z means it's going to be a crunch before dinnertime you tend to get in a hurry. I always cut myself when I am or feel like i'm behind (at least one time with a mandolin).

Me: "I used to associate the word Mandolin with delicate, old world music. Now I only associate it with terror and pain."

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Welp, looks like I'm back in da bidness. The missus is working days, and I'm stuck with nights. I've worked on and off in the industry since 2012, I know my way around a dish pit got the knife skills to bang out prep work fast, bussed tables, done expo/food runner, and covered salad station. There's just something about working in a kitchen that keeps drawing me pack. It's exhausting work, but satisfying at the end of the day. Across all kinds of occupations, managers will talk about working as a team, communicating with team members, etc. Nothing else compares to a tightly run kitchen. It's more than just teamwork. Every single body in the room is a cog, the machine's running full blast. You are all on the same page, not because "it's good for morale" but because it's absolutely necessary.

It can be back-breaking work, but if you bust your rear end just like everyone else you're golden. You're all in this together, and you will all make it out alive.

I'm hundreds of pages behind on this thread and don't have the quote, but someone a long time ago posted that "if you can handle the work, you will ALWAYS have a job lined up." Even if you move out of town, the restaurant closes, etc. you can jump right back into it with a cursory job search. Once you have the experience, it's so easy get "in" at another place. You show up on time? You can use a knife? Thas it mane you got the job and we will throw extra hours at you until you quit.

The cherry on top, you get the best stories. Kitchen crew are always a colorful bunch.It's also nice to be able to pick up weed while you're at work.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
In regards to interviews, the best advice is just loving show up. Seriously, for every job posting they'll get hundreds of emails, call in a dozen for interviews and be lucky if two people show up.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A Man and his dog posted:

Mellow Mushroom owns and the $2.50 pint drink special on Tuesdays is awesome.

That's all I have.

I unironically applied for head of culinary creative at mellow mushroom like maybe 9 years ago despite having very little industry experience (but having a decent business resume otherwise) - a friend of a friend knew the owner - and I was young and pretty sure even then that whoever read my cover letter would just laugh me off the block - but goddamnit I applied and loving tried.

glad I didn't get that job, seeing where they ended up taking it.

true mindphlux stories

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 16, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Wife found this at half price books yesterday, on a 40% off day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Wife found this at half price books yesterday, on a 40% off day.

I'm front of house so need more context, is this what the kitchen at my last place should have been reading?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Skwirl posted:

I'm front of house so need more context, is this what the kitchen at my last place should have been reading?

It's Modernist Cuisine. Like a $600 set of textbooks. Got em for $180.

But yeah, everyone should be reading them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's Modernist Cuisine. Like a $600 set of textbooks. Got em for $180.

But yeah, everyone should be reading them.

Very cool then, my cooking is limited mostly to Joy.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Psychobabble posted:

In regards to interviews, the best advice is just loving show up. Seriously, for every job posting they'll get hundreds of emails, call in a dozen for interviews and be lucky if two people show up.

Last time I posted an ad I got a dozen email responses. Called all of them, left messages for 11/12. Scheduled an interview for the next day. No show. None of the other 11 called back.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

Very cool then, my cooking is limited mostly to Joy.

Joy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnhANtx1Ko

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
80 hours this week :toot:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
At the place I've started working at, things are pretty good. I'm getting paid more as entry level dish and prep than what line cooks at my old job made. The work is still hard, but easier. The floor seats less people but the kitchen is the same size as my old job. My only complaint is that one of the prep cooks likes to run the floor blower (for drying floors after washing and mopping) upwind of the dish pit. He does it just to cool down and get some fresh air.

The problem is that if you're doing dishes, you get Marilyn Monroe'd by the updraft. It's a floor level gust of air. Your apron flaps all over and sits itself in dirty dishwater. Every 30 seconds you're pulling your whites and undershirt down. Also when you open the dish machine it gusts 130F-170F degree steam all over you.The breeze does feel good, I get where he's coming from. I'd rather live with the heat than deal with all the annoying side effects though. Dish and prep don't have their own vent hood so it does get warmer than the line, but a floor dryer is not the solution to the problem. I'll see if we can get a desk fan in there to replace the floor blower.

The fact that this is the worst thing I have to bitch about makes me think that it should be smooth sailing otherwise. The walk-in is well organized, people clean up after themselves, and even after a crazy dinner rush things aren't trashed. Nobody is abusing degreaser and bleach as some kind of cleaning ambrosia. I have yet to run into anything that screams HEALTH CODE VIOLATION WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?? So far, so good.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

80 hours this week :toot:

I signed up for 30-ish hours but the person I'm replacing is incredibly loving flakey. I've come in to cover a few extra shifts they called out after their two weeks' notice. Gonna get a little overtime on my first paycheck, and the GM threw a few extra bucks at me for covering on short notice. If you are willing to throw your body into the meat grinder, you can always have as many hours as you want.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Happy Anniversary, Thread!

New thread is here, after four years and 325 pages this one deserves a smoke break.

• Locked thread