Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara

Lara winces at first, but calms down quickly enough, and smiles back at Izzie.
"Thanks."

She seems a little distracted as she walks down the hallway, but has enough presence of mind to try to converse.
"You're... um, a basketball player? Like famous? How is that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Izzie chuckles. "Yeah, I play ball. Over in Europe, mostly in France, but a fair bit in Italy and Spain. And I was playing in Russia for a while. Even in Turkey for about a hot minute." Izzie shrugs. "I was on the national team here for a bit too, after I played in collge. I think that's why Nils girl knew who I was. I guess I'm sort-of famous. Not like some of the guys I've met on the court. Man, those guys were on a totally different level."

He shakes his head with a grin, then mulls over Lara's question. "I like it a lot, but its got its downsides. Playing ball professionally, I mean. It's a weird job. You spend most of your time getting ready, or waiting around. Practice, training, meetings, workouts - you have to keep your body and your mind in shape, and that gets harder as you get older. Which is weird too, I'm getting to like late middle age as a basketball player, maybe got ten more years to play if I'm lucky. Most other jobs, I'd be talking about twice or three times that long, right? So everything feels like it's sped up a bit."

"It can be a bit lonely too. Away from your family on road trips. You get used to waking up in places you don't recognize, but the schedule is strange. Hard to get settled. Then the games are crazy - you sort of don't notice in the moment, but you have all these people watching everything you're doing, yelling their heads off sometimes. But it's really cool too. It's... it's like a drug, I guess."

He scratches his head. "It's hard to explain. The kind-of-famous thing, that's actually easier. It's like meeting your parent's friends all the time. Like they know of you, sort of have an idea who you are, but you don't know them. There's a lot fewer total strangers, but you still don't really know those people. Most people are cool though, they just want to say hi, let you know they appreciate you. A few think they know you better than they do, but they're easy to deal with. They'd be kind of jerks anyways, so it's easy to deal with if you remember that. You can't let the couple of real weirdos or assholes freak you out is the main thing."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

An overly-chipper looking woman steps in, glances around, and beelines towards Axel's table. It's obvious from the spring in her step and the smile on her face she's one of those awful morning people. Sports jersey, cargo pants, sloppily laced boots and a pair of tea shades resting on her forehead suggests she's some kind of hiphop douchebag, and is looking to bother someone about all the bands she likes that nobody has ever heard of.

"Don't mind me. Haven't met anyone yet, and you look like you could use some sunshine in your life. Unfortunately you'll have to make do with me instead. I'm Tycho, pleased to meet you."

She didn't bother extending her hand. It was pretty obvious this guy was not in the mood to be friendly.

pre:
Real World

Physical 2d6 +1

Strength	2d6
Dexterity	2d6
Fortitude	2d6 +2

Mental 2d6 +1

Intellect	2d6
Wits		2d6
Conviction	2d6 +2

Social 2d6

Charisma	2d6
Manipulation	2d6	
Dignity		2d6 +2

Skills

Academics 		2
Athletics 		2
Computers 		1
Conversation		1
Crafts			1
Dodge 			1
Drive 			1
Firearms 		2
Languages 		1
Law 			2
Melee			1
Science		        1
Streetwise 		2
Survival 		1
Tracking 		1

Dream Self

Physical 2d6 +1

Strength	2d6
Dexterity	2d6
Fortitude	2d6 +2

Mental 2d6 +1

Intellect	2d6
Wits		2d6
Conviction	2d6 +2

Social 2d6

Charisma	2d6	
Manipulation	2d6	
Dignity		2d6 +2

Advantages:

Iron Constitution
Tycho’s immune system is the equivalent of tanks that shoot nuclear bombs that explode into other, smaller nuclear bombs.
She has never had a cold, and even things like Ebola or Cholera would have a hard time taking her down.

Vermin Lord
The horrible gross things of the world treat Tycho as one of their own.
Rats, spiders, cockroaches, and the like are drawn to her, and will not attack her or get into/destroy her things except under extreme circumstances.

Derived Values:
Health: 9/9
Sanity: 9/9
Grace:  8/8

Shardix fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 31, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Axel looks up with a glower. "What I need isn't sunshine, it's to be left alone right now," he growls. "I have a headache."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara

Lara smiles awkwardly.
"Eheh. Real weirdos... yeah."

She looks like she's going to say something more negative, then shrugs.
"When I was younger, I met this painter who was famous. Or at least famous in my area. He had paintings in museums, important enough to be up near someone like Rothko or Pollock. Well, I mean, not 'with' but near, when there was an exhibition on... um, nevermind. Anyway, I at least thought he was important. But then I had a chance to have lunch with him, and just talk, and it felt strange to be even just near someone so important, but then it turned out he was normal. Like my teachers. Better at art, smarter, more... insightful, but still the same mostly. And he was willing to look at my work, and he smiled and gave me some ideas and comments, and it was nice."
She's become a lot more animated as she focuses on recounting the story, but she sort of trails off now, and hesitates, and glances up at the wall.
"Oh, we're here?"

Inside the gym, she walks around slowly, looking around.
"So, why were you playing in Europe? I don't... I don't know about basketball, really, but that sounds unusual. For all sports, I mean."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

A nod. "Fair enough. Feel better." She gave the man a smile and looked around again, zeroing in on Bernard. Hands in her pockets, she approached the gentleman.

"Good morning. I'm Tycho. I don't suppose you have a headache as well, do you? If not, do you mind if I sit down?" She flicked her eyes away for a moment before looking back at him. "You'll have to pardon me if I'm a bit forward. I get nervous meeting new people, so I try to just charge on in before I start thinking about it too much."

Shardix fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 1, 2013

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side

{"Morning is Broken" - Bedroom / Cafeteria}

loving dealing with computers in the morning is like having a hangover posted:

Of course I'm not going to tell them what really happened. I'm not exactly sure I'm ready to believe it myself. It felt so drat real: the muscles, the height, the dude-swag. And Moon (Belle) looked so freakin amazing...

Whoa. Hold on. Just because its a dream doesn't mean its not cheaty for us to have dirty thoughts about another girl. But still, I do. I imagine what it would feel like to be a guy, being close to a girl I was really into. Completely different experience in some ways. It would be fuckin' great if Heart could come into the Dream World with me. She'd probably be some kind of goddess made of rainbows or some poo poo. Mega hawt.

I swing my legs off of the computer desk and get to my feet. For some reason, I actually feel hungry for once. Glancing in the mirror hung on the back of my room's door, I look forlornly at my small frame and girlish facial features. Somehow the sight is immediately repulsing – I donn't wanna see anything but 'Drew' looking back at me right now. A seriously depressing cloud of self-hate rolls in over my head, and I suddenly decide I'm not that interested in seeing my girlfriend right away. I head for the shower, intentionally avoiding any reflective surfaces.

When I arrive in the cafeteria, I'm again taken aback at just how swanky everything looks; and the meals are a far cry from my usual diet of friend's leftovers or soup-kitchen carte du jour. Lots of people are already digging in; the dozen or so tables being mostly occupied by all the different waves of lab rats, including my own. I pass by Axel and Bernard, smirking to myself. I wonder what kind of stupid, compensating, no-doubt-testosterone-broiled slice of mental 'paradise' they dreamt up. Then I realize, ironically, that was a pretty fitting description of my own dream-self as well. Although I don't know if it would be fair to call it 'compensating' since it was already a part of my identity in the first place – though suppressed. But then again, was everyone's dream-self a repressed part of their psyche?

Shaking off the cobwebs of sleepy confusion, I pour myself some coffee, grab a doughnut and take a seat at the nearest table. I don't recognize anyone next to me, and I don't see Moon. Biting into the sugary pastry, I momentarily ponder my decision to suck down such a fatty food. I never eat these things, let alone have breakfast of any kind. Perhaps I'm unconsciously trying to pack on some pounds so I can look more like the well-built man who's haunting my thoughts.

This is gonna be a very weird day.

hctibyllis fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 1, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Bernard Smith

"Bernard" He replied to Tycho after finishing his mouthful and shrugged. "If you want. So are you new or an older wave like Guy?" Bernard asked carefully, watching Tycho to try and figure her out.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Taking a seat, she pulled an orange out of her pocket and started peeling it.

"Nice to meet you, Bernard. Yeah, I got in last evening and shuffled off to my room pretty much immediately. So. Dream research, huh? If I'd known I could get paid for sleeping I wouldn't have bothered with college."

Waves. So this is an evolving process, not just last minutes FDA regulations before they shuffle whatever-it-is out the door.

Tycho carefully laid the pieces of orange peel on the table, stacking them from largest to smallest. She was a meticulous person by nature; even her appearance was intentionally street-casual. People were more apt to open up to you if you didn't look or act like a cop.

"So, Bernard. What's the day-to-day like here? I got the prepared speech and all, but a list of amenities doesn't actually tell me anything."

She popped a segment of the orange into her mouth, relishing the taste.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"Wow. We've been here two nights and there are already new people? Huh..." Bernard says trailing off in thought for a moment. Well, Bob might be right in that they were ramping up their operations if there were so many new participants. Or maybe Tycho was just an irregular entry...well, he wasn't sure that he would want to help out Bob really. On the other hand, finding out what was going on had a certain appeal he supposed. Some of the others would probably help, not Andrea though and he had no idea about Moon, Maureen could easily go both ways and Axel...well if he wanted to Bernard thought he might have a way of talking him into it. But that was up to Axel he supposed.

"Well...mostly they let you do what you want, or at least that's what it's seemed like so far. There are also meetings with the psych and a few other things. The first night was a little weird, even without the drug they still have you hooked up and everything. It's a little strange to go to sleep with all of it on."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Moon ambles into the cafeteria, looking worried. He spots Nil and--after a moments hesitation, goes to sit with her.

"Hey..." he says, then stops--apparently not sure what to say next.

Jonas chucks himself into a seat next to Guy. "Yes, it was real, slowpoke. You finally came through. Hey, did you see those cars in the lot? I questioned one of the cafeteria ladies, and apparently we have ~visitors~. Some kind of MIBs or G-men or something. Spooooky stuff!"

Gretchen wanders up to Bernard and Tycho. Without her steampunk gear on, she's a skinny young woman with crose-cropped blonde hair and a ruddy complexion.

"Morning. Gretchen Livingstone. We haven't met, yet...officially." With a glance at Bernard, she adds, "But I bet you're doubting things a bit less now, huh?"

In the gym, an unfamiliar man emerges from the men's changeroom, dribbling a basketball idly. He looks around, spots Izzie, and a grin breaks across his tired face. He appears to be quite fit. "Hey, you're that pro basketball player we got in Wave 4, right? I'm Ewan, with security. Wanna do some one-on-one? I always wanted to know how I'd stack up." He acknowledges Lara only with a polite nod.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Izzie nods at Lara. "It's not that odd, really, but you have to understand how the League - the NBA - works for it to make sense. See, there are only 30 teams, right? And a basketball team only has fifteen players at a time, and really only about ten of those guys get any kind of real playing time. And really it's only the six or seven best guys who are regular players - the five starters, and one or two coming off the bench. So that's about... a hundred and eighty, maybe a few more, who are getting a lot of time on the floor, and they're the ones getting stable multi-year contracts."

He pauses when Ewan comes out, and waves, grinning. "Sure man! Just give me a minute or two here, and I'll be up for it."

Izzie turns back to Lara. "Sorry bout that. So, anyway, everyone else, you're going from short contract to short contract. It's good money, sure, but it's not stable, you know? So if you're part of the three hundred or so guys who are in the NBA or at the fringe, you spend a lot of time just sitting around and hoping you impress someone enough to keep your job. But over in Europe, the competition is still good but not as tough, so someone who'd be a sixth man or on the bench in the NBA can start, get a long term contract, get more playing time and more money. It's a tough choice, 'cause everyone knows you're playing less competition and stuff, but..." Izzie shrugs.

"For me, when I came out of college I was starting in Philly, and doing okay. Never would have been a star, but I was doing well. Then I hurt my knee. Bad timing too, didn't get a contract with my old team 'cause they ended up bad that year and drafted a real star at my position. I've got no resentment for it, it's a business, you know? Anyways I got picked up by Portland after my rehab. Was starting there too, after a few weeks, coming back into it... and then I hurt my other knee. After that, all I was getting was one year minimum offers. Which I would have taken, 'cept I need to support my mom and my family. And I met this guy at Portland, a Russian guy who ended up going back over there. He called me up, told me he could get me a spot for more money in Russia. The money sounded good, I could start, and hey, going to Russia? That sounded pretty exciting. So I went, and I ended up staying, playing all over Europe. Russia's great, but it can be a little crazy. Western Europe is more stable."

"Hey, if you want to stick around for this, we can hang out afterwards, or if you want to go get your workout started, that's cool, we can meet up say near the stationary bikes? Anyways I better not keep Ewan waiting, don't want to tick off the gendarmes right?"

Izzie is already in his workout clothes, so he puts a headband on before going over to Ewan and giving him some dap. "Play it to 21, right? Got any court rules here?"

Just for kicks, here's an Athletics roll.
[13:01] <@Gorbash> !roll 3d6+3
[13:01] <Morphball> Gorbash: 13 = 3d6(2,2,6)+3

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 1, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Bernard sighed a bit. "Some of it I guess. You were the one who didn't want a Thomas Covenant, so I hope you will not fault me for not immediately taking everything at face value." He said remembering her and the steam punk goggle outfit she'd had on. "Do they have cameras here too to make sure we're okay?" Bernard asked, with the obvious implication to Gretchen of is it safe to talk, and also if there are they aren't for our safety are they?

Tycho was probably confused about what was going on.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Gretchen wasn't talking to her, so Tycho simply listened politely while she finished off the orange. She occasionally glanced around as more people filed in. Quite an eclectic crew, to be sure.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Guy

"No poo poo?" Guy replies in general curiosity. "I mean, figures that'd happen eventually. Still, G-men? Is this whole thing... y'know, on the up? Kinda makes me rethink things, y'know? Gettin' in here, making myself comfortable. Crazy."

Guy chugs the rest of his OJ and contemplates eating the bottom of his muffin. There doesn't seem to be any berries in the lower section, but food shouldn't go to waste. After a bit he shrugs and stuffs the rest in his face.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara smiles and waves Izzie off, watching the game for a little bit. Then she wanders over to the machines, poking at a treadmill and making sure she's worked out how it, uh, works.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Jonas shrugs at Guy's question. "Dunno. That sort of question's not my expertise. Hey, I'm thinking of watching some Knights of the Round Table later. You can join me, or not, if you want. And tell your friends, too."

Something about the way he emphasizes the words "Round Table" suggests that he's not really talking about a cartoon.

--

Gretchen shrugs. "They have all kinds of security. Best not to worry overly much, though. It's not like they're sitting round a table and watching you in the showers, Pudge." She emphasizes the words only slightly, but her look to Bernard and Axel seems to be waiting some kind of acknowledgement.

--

Ewan shrugs when asked about court rules. "Sure, man, I just wanna see how I stack up against a pro, let off some steam." He plays well, but he's no match for Izzie's training and natural talent, and he's soon lost the game.

Takes it well, though--seems he's not a sore loser. "That was a good match," he pants, hands on his knees to catch his breath. "Man, there really is a difference when you're pro. Gimme a minute to catch my breath and we'll have another round?"

Izzie is spared answering when Ewan catches sight of a pair of new arrivals to the gym; two men in black suits, close cropped hair, and wearing earpieces, standing expressionless in the entrance.

"Scratch that," Ewan sighs, straightening. "Looks like I have to go answer some questions. Another time, man, all right?" Without waiting for a reply he nods towards the changeroom, looking to the G-men for acknowledgement. After a moment, one of the G-men nods slowly, and Ewan heads to get changed.

The treadmills are fairly standard models, and have instructions for use on their consoles. They're also positioned so that Lara can witness the exchange with the G-men and Ewan.

--

If Moon was going to say something to Nil, it's interrupted by the arrival of Heart. "There you are!" she exclaims, going in for a quick hug on Nil before sliding into the chair next to her. "I missed you, is everything all right?"

Moon fidgets and glances away.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Tycho frowned at Gretchen's use of 'pudge'. Sure, Bernard might not be in great shape, but there was no reason to be a dick about the matter. And what was with that shifty glance and emphasis on round table? Was she trying to talk in code or something? If so, she was doing a pretty poo poo job of being inconspicuous about it.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

{"Hearts & Moons" - Cafeteria}

Moon sits down before I even see him coming. Wait. Shouldn’t we use… No. Not yet. Better to confirm some things first. We don’t even know if they saw the same things we did! I’m a bit startled by the sudden appearance, but I manage to keep a cool outward-demeanor. Be like Drew! We can do this.

I clear my throat, raising my mug in a half-rear end salutation. “Hey. How was your… dream? Did you…um. (*hrm*). I kinda had one about you.”

Just then Heart comes over, sparing me from the awkward moment. She’s looking and smelling as good as ever. While I enjoy the good fortune of having her company, I have to inwardly admit feeling a small bit of guilt. She’s probably wondering why we didn’t come over this morning. Think fast!

“H-hey sweetie.” I return the embrace, careful not to spill my coffee. “Sorry. I’m okay. Just uh… I was really hungry for some reason. Maybe this whole “clean” thing is starting to work, yeah?”

Quickly diverting the flow of the conversation, I turn to Moon and smile perhaps a bit too broadly. “Moon, Heart. Heart, Moon. You might have heard Angel talking about Moon’s work, babe. Looks like we’re in this thing together.”

I wrap my arm casually around my girlfriend’s waist, feeling her soft, warm skin under mine. It’s more a reflexive move than a sentimental gesture, though; to help clear those pesky thoughts of Moon’s alternate self from my mind. Just stay cool for gently caress sake.

[OOC: Let me know if I need to roll anything to successfully lie to my girlfriend! :cheeky: ]

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

For his part Bernard is so used to weight insults that it just seems to slide off of him. On the outside at least. Inside he remember how he had felt in the dream world, the feeling of power and confidence, of control. It had been...it had been really good. Maybe now if he held onto that he could make a better effort at the gym. He knew what the end was like now, and it did feel worth it. "They will be disappointed if they watch me shower. It is not very interesting." He replies with a self-deprecating laugh and leaves it at that. Consider the ambiguity of whether he understood her response or not to be some sort of payback for the insult Bernard supposed.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

"Nice meeting you, Bernard." Tycho extended her hand. "I'm gonna get in my morning run, continue my introductions when everyone isn't so occupied. I'll see you later, yeah?"

Standing up, she stretched and nodded at Gretchen. "Let's keep our opinions on other people's appearance to ourselves in the future, hey blondie?"

Not waiting for a reply she sauntered over to the coffee, poured a cup and headed out, occasionally stopping to smile and wave at anyone who made the mistake of looking her in the eye.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Guy

Of course he's not talking about a cartoon. As long as everyone is using double-speak and Esperanto sign language, Guy might as well. "Yeah, man," he tells Jonas, "Help get our minds off of this lovely weather." He slips his muffin wrapper in his cup and looks around for a trash can. It always seems to be moving around.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"It's okay, it didn't bother me." Olsen lied to Gretchen. He was so used to those small kinds of lies by now that it was second nature. But it did bother him and it only added to his longer festering wound in he self confidence.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Gretchen shrugs. "Whatever. Just remember Newton's Law."

--

Moon smiles at Heart. "Nice to meet you," he tells her. "It's nice that you're here to support Nil like this. I don't see a lot of others with attachments."

Heart responds by wrapping her own arm around Nil, sliding closer. "She's too good to let go," Heart explains with a grin. "I wasn't going to abandon her like that."

no rolling needed, Heart loooooves Nil

--

It's a little bit later when an announcement over the PA system crackles to life.

"All subjects, please report to the theatre for a mandatory meeting," comes Dr. LeJeune's voice, sounding a little harried.

Looks are exchanged, and people start heading from wherever they were to the theatre. None of you gets a sense that this is something ordinary, at all, from the reactions of those who have been here longer than you.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara flicks off the treadmill, moving to start up her conversation with Izzie again, when they're interrupted by the PA.
She glances at him, worried, then hesitantly moves towards the theater. At least where she thinks it was?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Inside the theater, the lights are all on. Jonas is complaining volubly to Guy and anyone else in earshot about the interruption of his planned cartoon marathon. Everyone else is ignoring him. At the front of the theater, Doctor Kostas--the head of the facility--stands, watching the theater fill up with something between impatience and irritation on his face. The G-men are standing near him, impassively.

"What do you figure the odds are this is about Maureen and Fatimah," Moon whispers to Nil.

"Ugh, what a shitshow," Axel grouses to Bernard.

Destiny nods at Lara, and Gretchen grabs her by the arm. "C'mon, sit with me," Gretchen says to Lara. "I wanna talk to you after, anyway."

Nobody seems to be actively hunting for Izzie or Tycho as they enter the theater, but Bob tries to catch Izzie's eye, giving him a nod once he has done so.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

For a brief moment Lara starts to flail, but clamps down hard on her reaction, squelching the panic and just going along with Gretchen to a seat (?).
She's looking around the theater, still keeping a lid on her panic, and whispers between her teeth.

"What's going on?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"It's like we're in school again. Everyone go to the assembly hall while the principal tells you off for being naughty." Bernard agreed, although with less invectives and attitude than Axel.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 5, 2013

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Tycho swaggered in, coolly taking in the scene. Spotting the suits, she smirked. She had thought the vehicles outside looked familiar. There was no hiding government clone issue equipment. The intentionally nondescript drew attention by simply being so goddamned bland.

Overhearing Bernard's comment, she effected a southern drawl.

"Any man playing grabass or fightin' in the building spends a night in the box."

Scooting past a few folks with a polite 'excuse me', she took a seat and relaxed.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Izzie sticks with Lara, but stops for a second when he sees the government men. He catches Bob's look, and shrugs almost imperceptibly. He waves at Gretchen, then grabs whichever seat happens to be open, not minding if it's up front but trying not to block anyone's view. He twists around a bit to find a comfortable position.

"What's the word, Doc?"

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

{"Spontaneous Talent Show?" - Auditorium-sorta-place}

I sit down after taking in the sights a bit. The place was pretty huge, and I couldn't believe how many asses filled the seats. A lot more people were doing this program than I'd thought.

"No idea. Wonder if they hosed up too much for Big Brother to ignore. Those guys are definitely not scientists. Maybe they're here to collect our belts and shoelaces."

Having spent most of my young life in the system, I was innately wary of any government-types. You're just a number these kinds of people. Suddenly I wished Heart had been able to join us.

"I just hope they didn't change their minds about my probation. Could get used to this food."

As I speak, I overhear Jonas's animated voice, and recognize him as the cartoon person from the dream. Fits his personality perfectly. poo poo. Maybe all that stuff really did happen. Let's just go with it and see what happens.

"Hey." I turn back to face Moon with a slight smile, keeping my voice low. "Is it okay call you Belle? Anyways... I kinda have a crazy idea about something we could do tonight. Y'know. In the dream. I want to see how far that rabbit hole really goes. That Lara chick was doing some pretty cool stuff; but maybe we could enlist her skills to do something more productive. Like, maybe find out whats truly makes this place tick."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Moon nods, grimacing slightly. "I don't feel like a Belle right now, but I kinda like it--but not too loud, k?"

No chance for further reply, everyone's here and Kostas steps forward, clearing his throat.

"All right...this is rumor control. Here are the facts. We have lost two of our newest wave of subjects in as many days, and to avoid idle rumor and supposition, I've called you all here. The night before last, Maureen Krukowski took her own life. She had not yet taken any medication, and had arrived that morning--her suicide is regrettable but not related to this study in any way."

He pauses a moment to let that sink in.

"Last night, Fatimah Ishikawa suffered an apparent series of strokes, and has been rendered comatose. We are still investigating the cause, but have reason to suspect that a blood clot had formed and caused an embolism. This sort of thing is, again, regrettable, but not related to our work here."

He pauses again, but only for a moment. Before any questions can be asked, he declares, "That is all," and, turning on his heel, strides purposely out of the theater, the G-men following behind.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Guy

Guy stares out into space upon the announcement. There's no loving way.

He whispers to Jonas after a minute of the news sinking in, "Found the G-men."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

That was unexpected. Tycho glanced around, reading people's reactions to this little meeting. Most of them appeared to be annoyed at having their leisure time interrupted more than anything. Typical 'gently caress you, got mine' bullshit.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Bernard frowned. "Hmm...there was a film about this sort of thing. A psychic in a government program to make an untraceable dream assassin. But that's a movie, and kind of a bit out there." He said, half to Axel and half to himself. Bernard didn't really dismiss the whole thing so much as the secret government part, the dream assassin thing would be more practical. After all hadn't Jonas warned them against intruding in others dreams because of etiquette? Yes someone had done the same to them...

Assuming that there wasn't any more reason to hang around Bernard would head back to his room and make another attempt at the gym.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara blinks, confused, then looks at the weird lady that had grabbed her, then pulls away, heading out into a courtyard. Or yard, or something along those lines.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Izzie sits in shock, then leans forward, staring at his hands. Ishikawa too? Izzie doesn't care what the doctor claims, clearly something is going on here. After a while, he gets up and walks out, no particular destination in mind.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Getting to her feet, Tycho hurried after Bernard as he ducked out of the theater. Catching up, she matched his pace and glanced over.

"Hey again, B. Uh, so. You've only been here a couple days yourself, right? I don't suppose I'm the only one who found that meeting kind of strange?" She glanced briefly back over her shoulder as she spoke, hands stuffed in her pockets again. "I mean, I've never been involved in this sort of thing before, but having a couple suits alongside a doctor as he assures us that these odd deaths are in no way related to the research being conducted kind of strikes me as funny, you know? And not in the Larry smacking Curly in the face with a pie kind of funny."

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

{"Spontaneous poo poo Show." - Auditorium-sorta-place}

"Really?!" I call out after the suits. They're just gonna drop that on us and scoot off to their next business meeting? gently caress this place. I'm now more determined than ever to find out what's behind the curtain, and I'm starting to think the Dream World is our ticket backstage. It was worth noting, however, as horrible as the news of Fatimah's death was to hear, at least it gave me some hope that just maybe my being a bitch to Maureen wasn't what caused her death. If I could find out what was causing the subjects to drop like flies then...

Hold up. What are we, some kind of fuckin' detective? We have no idea how the dreamstuff works, or even if its safe to use it on a scale like we have in mind. What if we end up over-cooked just like the last two?

Then gently caress it. What do I care about burnt brains? Fried mine plenty already. I grab Moon'sBelle's arm and pull them along with me out of the auditorium.

"Let's go find that Lara girl, okay? I'll explain later, but we need her to help us with what I've got in mind. Perhaps with her crazy-rear end power we can discover what really happened to my two ex-wave-mates. You're pretty good with reason, and I've got the persuasion covered. Together I bet we could convince anyone of anything. C'mon, I think she went out to that big rear end Frisbee field or whatever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Gretchen chases after Lara. "Hey, I said I wanted to talk to you," she calls. "Hey, hold up." She takes hold of Lara's arm again. "It's important."

Moon/Belle nods to Nil, face pale. "We should start talking to some of the other staff, too...Kostas is sewn up tight, but I'm sure not everyone here is going to be swallowing the party line the way he is, and if they're as full of it as they seem to be we can probably trip them up..."

Bob catches up to Izzie as he heads out of the theater. "You know, as much as code words and secrets feature in the best stories, this has left me with kind of a bad taste for it...We're having a round table tonight."

Jonas is pretty pale himself, and nods to Guy. "Yeah...but who's the puppetmaster here?"

• Locked thread