Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara Planchart

Today had been an alright day for Lara. She knew it was coming, the voices were quiet, and she'd been able to spend the bus ride in silence, pressed up against the window. The papers... well, I'm not sure what they expected to get out of her, but she did try her best. Answering what she could, signing when prompted by an X. Karen (her watcher) had gone over a lot of the paperwork before, and she remembered quite a few details well enough to scribble them down.
At one point, the words started getting hazy, overlapping on themselves, very nearly swirling. Lara had managed not to cry out, just shut her eyes and waited. But it passed, the pills did their job, and she came to scrunched up against the window. The dull regular hum of the bus helped a lot.

Outside the bus, Lara shuffled off to the side, arms crossed, though she managed to keep herself from hunching over, or giving everyone wild, fearful glances. Just had to focus on the ground, or on the bus, but then someone had called out her name, and she'd had to bite off a yelp.
She shuffled forward, taking the offered card, slipping it in a pocket, and shuffling back away, avoiding eye contact, or any other sort of communication.

pre:
Attributes
Physical  2d6 + 2
Mental    2d6
Social    2d6

Qualities
Physical
Strength:     +1 (3d6)
Dexterity:    +0 (2d6+2)
Fortitude:    +1 (3d6)

Mental
Intellect:    +0 (2d6)
Wits:         +0 (2d6)
Conviction:   +2 (2d6+2)

Social
Charisma:     +2 (2d6+2)
Manipulation: +0 (2d6)
Dignity:      +0 (2d6)

Derived Values
Health: 9
Sanity: 8
Grace:  6

----

Skills
  • Academics: 0
  • Animal Handling: 0
  • Athletics: 3
  • Computers: 0
  • Conversation: 2
  • Crafts: 3
  • Defense: 2
  • Dodge: 1
  • Dream Navigation: 2
  • Dream Shaping: 3
  • Drive: 0
  • Firearms: 0
  • Hunting: 0
  • Languages: 0
  • Law: 0
  • Magic: 3
  • Medicine: 0
  • Melee: 0
  • Occult: 0
  • Science: 0
  • Stealth: 3
  • Streetwise: 0
  • Survival: 1
  • Tracking: 0
  • Unarmed: 2
  • Writing: 0
---- Dream Self Appearance Identical to her waking form--oddly identical, in fact, no apparent physical differences or "special effects" or the like. Except, of course, for the fact that the dream form is freed of the schizophrenia. Dream Attributes Physical 2d6 Mental 2d6 + 1 Social 2d6 + 1 Dream Qualities Physical Strength: +0 (2d6) Dexterity: +0 (2d6) Fortitude: +1 (2d6+1) Mental Intellect: +1 (2d6+2) Wits: +1 (2d6+2) Conviction: +1 (2d6+2) Social Charisma: +1 (2d6+2) Manipulation: +0 (2d6+1) Dignity: +1 (2d6+2) Dream Derived Values Health: 7 Sanity: 8 Grace: 8 ---- Advantages Schizophrenia: You suffer from schizophrenia. Initially, this will be little more than a mild derangement of thought and rare hallucinations, though it will eventually progress into a severe disconnect from reality. There are no explicit mechanical effects, but in general some forms of mental or social attack will simply not function (there is nothing to attack), and the effects of lost sanity will often manifest in line with this condition. Similarly, many types of mental or social actions are simply not possible, or at least extremely difficult. What would be normal interaction for someone else might require a roll to accomplish, and any sort of finesse or tact is out of reach. Dream Ease: Dreaming comes easily and naturally to you. You are always in your element, you always enter and exit the dreams quickly and cleanly, and you are never disoriented by the act of dreaming itself, though of course beings within the dream can still cause disorientation or harm, as can overexertion or overuse of shaping or magic. Furthermore, the state of your body or your mind in the waking world never has an effect on your dream self (excepting death, presumably).

zachol fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara Planchart

At a lull in the questions, Lara steps forward.
"Um, is there..."
She stops, shutting her eyes and taking several short breaths, then nods and starts again.
"Is there... where are the medical facilities? And a pharmacy? How and when should I get my prescriptions?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara stifles a mumbly cry and drifts away, facing off at an angle away from the yelling. She's focusing on calming down, deep breathing, fists balled and gaze planted directly on the floor.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara gives Izzie a faint smile.
"Um. Painting, yeah, I used to paint. Just a hobby, and recently I haven't... been able to. Sometimes I sketch."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara grimaces, staring at her spaghetti, jabbing it with her fork.
"If they are doing testing and want it to be legitimate, even on a surface level, they would need to at least be sure of a random sample. However, this group seems very... unrepresentative. Atypical. They might still be ironing out methodology."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

She continues to jab her spaghetti, growing more and more angry.
"If they expect to publish then they'd have to have demonstrated methodology involving... random... rrrrghh."
She drops the fork, making a motion like she's going to shove the plate away, then stops herself, pressing her hands to her eyes and focusing on calming down.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara lets out a long breath, still pressing her eyes.
"Mmm. It's okay. Just need a minute."

After a few moments, she relaxes, then looks up at Moon.
"Hmm? Oh. Okay."
She crosses her arms and hunches down, ignoring her food.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara spends a while laying in bed, confused, and not really wanting to get up. She knows where she is (in a bed), what there is to worry about (nothing), about as confident as she can ever be about anything these days.

After a while, she gets up, finding a notepad and pen. After a long stare, she scribbles out, shakily,

quote:

In a mirror room. Just me and whispers. Person appears talks to me. Shows door out.
Everything felt very dull and

She pauses, trying to come up with the last word, but it doesn't come, and she grimaces and slides back onto the bed. Maybe they'll just leave her alone today.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara cringes at the beep, then squints. An appointment...?
She buries her head in her hands, groaning. She didn't want to go through that whole process again, just give her her pills and leave her alone. Please.

She sighs, then gets up. Maybe if she eats something and wanders around she can put it off long enough to force a reschedule.

At breakfast, she picks at a muffin, gathering a small pile of bits of nuts to the side.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara stares out the door, then watches as the others file out as well. She follows at a distance, peeking from behind corners and people, muffin abandoned.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara stays far back, just getting an impression of what's going on from the others' reactions. If what she's getting is right... eugh. Real shame, I think.
She sort of shuts down, edging away and finding a nice quiet corner to calm herself.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara Planchart

For so long, Lara's dreams have been nothing but vague confusion. She'd never really remembered them, and sleep had never been a release or respite. Anxiety and distress as she tried to fall asleep, a short blip of nothing, and at the very best a few minutes of groggy nonsense in the morning before she returned to her usual simmering near-panic.
Now, she's just confused. The mirrors... the mirrors are the same? The same as last night, and the fogginess has returned. The cool calm from a lack of anything, chilled misty air. She could just stay like this forever. Feels so nice.

But there's a door.

Well.
See where this goes. Maybe it gets even better.

So I open the door, and step through, and smile.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Looking fine!"
I grin at him. Memories of the 'real' world are fragmented, but yeah, mohawk guy.

I look around, relaxing. This definitely feels better. Much better. Hm, a cartoon person? 'Jonas.' Don't think Lara met him. So hard to remember, either way...
Well, regardless, I smile and wave.
"Nice to meet you, Jonas. So, what's all this then?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Alrighty. Thanks!"
Seems kind of odd that no-one would've spilled the beans by now, but whatever. Can look into that later.
I smile again and start off along the walkway, just picking a random direction. A bit curious about the 'roundtable' and the main hall.

As I walk, something the jester said itches the back of my mind. 'Dreamstuff'? I wonder...

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I circle the table, watching the room. Certainly very interesting.
Odd about that man not being a known quantity.

Idly, I examine the table, the chairs, thinking back to that hall with the many doors, and my mind drifts back to the comment about 'dreamstuff.'
Dreamstuff... dreamstuff... could I just... reach out and grab it?

Hmm.

Yeah, I try.

Should I roll? Wits + Shaping is 2d6+3.

e: <Morphball> zachol: 11 = 2d6(2,6)+3

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 21, 2013

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

<~Ridley> yeah you get a handful of dream.
<~Ridley> it's amorphous
<~Ridley> and sort of slippery.

Lara

I stare at the glob of... something. 'Dreamstuff,' huh?

I wander off away from the table, sort of to my own area, and experiment with... 'shaping' it, I guess. I'm remembering long afternoons spent painting, experiments with sculpture.
It feels really nice.

Nothing specific, more just exploring what the limits of this are on my own. Infodump!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I step forward, curious.

I look a bit different; I've fashioned a robe for myself out of the 'dreamstuff.' It's obvious that this substance responds to will, and there's no better way to grow my skill than to be constantly working at it. When my focus slips, the coat reverts the way this stuff always does, usually into something appropriate. A few times now it's just gone into a medieval dress, usually white. Nearly the same thing.
It's a bit of a cheat, since I'm holding it into the form of cloth, and clothing, and not just pure stuff. Too difficult otherwise, too uncomfortable.

As the others file in to the dream ('Moon'? there was a man named 'Moon'? so odd...), I follow.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Oh my."
Luckily I haven't gotten close enough to actually see this 'Moon' person, but the girl's cry is unmistakably indignant. I reach forward, pulling back on the demon and the robot.
"Probably shouldn't have come this far in, eh? Come on, let's bail."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Sorry for the intrusion!"

I give an awkward smile and continue dragging the others out.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I glance at the scimitar door. No point in intruding again.
A moment spared for Gruff McTrench, and then I look down at my robes. Again with the white gown. Wonderful. Must've lost my focus.

I sigh, then wander off towards the round table.

I should paint.
I wonder how hard it would be to shape together some gear. Easel, canvas, brush, all should be easy, but getting the paint and pigments right? Hmm, could take some doing.
Oh, but an apron first.

Wits + Shaping, 2d6+3=12.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Excellent! And now... the rest!

30#2d6+3. Easel 9, canvas 11, good brush 14, other brushes 9, 6 (probably poo poo), 9, big one 10, small thin one 10, some kind of strappy carrying case 9, a palette for 10, then like twenty jars of paint for 14 (the good purple), 8, 7 (lovely brown), 12, 8, 11, 6 (thinner/cleaner), 10, 14 (good pure white, big old jar of that), 10, 12, 12, 8, 10, 8, 8, 11, 10, 13, 11.

Oh and then a jaunty poofy hat.

2d6+3=12.

Ha ha! And now to go find a nice spot outside. Are there doors there?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I walk outside, humming to myself, looking around at the trees and things. Something's itching at the back of my head, feels like those whispers from the mirror room, and I'm not... sure... feels...

I stumble, a sudden migrane forcing me to my knees, and the case and easel slip from under my arms. poo poo!
The paints are all scrambled together, and then the easel is just this bundle of sticks and poo poo, and then when I look at the case again it's just... this odd smear, leather stained with brown paint, brown sticks chewed up at one end, and a cracked piece of brown bark.

Well huh.

Grumbling, I take off the apron, toss it away, not even paying attention as it probably disperses into nettles or something, and stalk towards a clear section of ground. Alright. One, chisel. Two, hammer. Three, giant block of marble. Three things, easy.

And the chisel is kinda dull, hammer is fine but whatever, and the marble is great.
Not much I can do with a dull chisel, though. Eh, give it a try, and start carving. This, at least, I know I'm good at.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I look at the dryad person, half-smiling.
"Mm, thanks for the warning. Lara."
I look at the mostly unmarked block of marble, then shrug and resume chiseling.
"How and when do we have to leave from here? Morning, waking up, like that?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I look back, taking in the dryad's... whatever she did. Hmm.
So is that because she's a dryad? Nature spirit or something? Or was that shaping?

Very curious.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I lean towards Destiny, waving at Bob.
"What did you mean by that, earlier, starting in on what? There was a girl that committed suicide early on, at least that's my understanding... is there a regular problem about that?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"One girl committed suicide. At least I think so. Then there's the person behind that scimitar door, still closed, and the butterfly door has two of us behind it. I believe that's the extent?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Has there really never been a person who let slip what's going on? That seems a bit hard to swallow."
I shrug.
"Also have none of them tried it themselves, or on a subject that's a little more faithful to them, or... what? And I am a bit worried about what I'll say when I wake up. My waking self has... troubles, sometimes."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I'm finding this Gretchen woman a lot more interesting than the nymph (although who in God's name is 'Thomas Covenant'? was he a rapist in the news or what? what's a 'chimerical construct'?), mostly on account of her dress. It seems like you maybe get abilities relating to your self-image? So the simple fact of viewing herself as a scientist allowed her to gain more insight into the mechanisms of the dream?
Or was it just that she had scientific interests anyway, that the persona and the act of examining both stemmed from that?

I glance back at my hunk of marble at a drat statue that the thing's morphed into. And I can't find my hammer or chisel anymore. Argh.
Feeling a little disgusted, I address the pair of Gretchen and Destiny, who seem to know what's going on around here.
"Hey, question. Is there any way to make things that have more... permanence? Shaping things up is fun and all, but apparently they takes conscious effort to maintain, and I'm sure they just fade away when I go back to... uh, when I wake up. Right? Any way to, I don't know, solidify them more? How is all this castle business maintained?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I frown at Gretchen, then sigh. Less than helpful.

I stand around outside a little bit, looking at the sky, thinking. Anchorage and raw material, huh? And this place is just a 'base construct,' something that is. Permanent, reliable, here from the very start. I look at the ground, at the grass, scuff it a little. Arthurian, English legends, symbolic. Something that fits, that I could draw from the area?
Ah, I know.

I kneel down, running my fingers back and forth over the grass. I close my eyes and think back, to stories and legends. King Arthur and his Knights, Merlin and his magic, the shared ideas of medieval times, of England and its heritage, of druids and ritual and symbolism, now remaining only as a dream, an ideal.
I reach out to the place, hand low over the ground, and coax up from the earth a sapling of yew, letting all of my power and will funnel into the act.

At least, that's the idea, as I open one eye hopefully.

Magic? Shaping? 2d6+3=9.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I stumble, grinning, and fall to the ground, and laugh. Ahhh, that felt good. Creating something, finally, after so long. So long just... frozen, terrified of misinterpreting the world, of offending someone with some inappropriate choice, of never being able to be sure of my actions.
Still relaxed, I lay back, looking up at the pair of Gretchen and Destiny. The smile fades.

"Asking again. Do I have to leave? Or can I just... not wake up?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

quote:

Mirror room again.
Fog and whispers for a very long time.
Soothing.
When I was ready I opened the door and then woke up. I felt relaxed. This is a good treatment.

Lara just sort of shuffles around the lunchroom, looking much less anxious. She's still eating alone, though, and doesn't seem particularly interested (or aware, even) of anyone else.
After a few minutes she stops, looking at her food with that sort of skeptically amused expression, then laughs, and keeps eating.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara makes weird lumpy happy faces with the soggy, crummy remains of her pancakes in the excess syrup.

Once she's satisfied, she gets up, sliding her tray onto an empty rack, then walks out into the hall, and falters.
Wasn't there an exercise area, during the tour? Which way would that be...

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara winces at first, but calms down quickly enough, and smiles back at Izzie.
"Thanks."

She seems a little distracted as she walks down the hallway, but has enough presence of mind to try to converse.
"You're... um, a basketball player? Like famous? How is that?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara smiles awkwardly.
"Eheh. Real weirdos... yeah."

She looks like she's going to say something more negative, then shrugs.
"When I was younger, I met this painter who was famous. Or at least famous in my area. He had paintings in museums, important enough to be up near someone like Rothko or Pollock. Well, I mean, not 'with' but near, when there was an exhibition on... um, nevermind. Anyway, I at least thought he was important. But then I had a chance to have lunch with him, and just talk, and it felt strange to be even just near someone so important, but then it turned out he was normal. Like my teachers. Better at art, smarter, more... insightful, but still the same mostly. And he was willing to look at my work, and he smiled and gave me some ideas and comments, and it was nice."
She's become a lot more animated as she focuses on recounting the story, but she sort of trails off now, and hesitates, and glances up at the wall.
"Oh, we're here?"

Inside the gym, she walks around slowly, looking around.
"So, why were you playing in Europe? I don't... I don't know about basketball, really, but that sounds unusual. For all sports, I mean."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara smiles and waves Izzie off, watching the game for a little bit. Then she wanders over to the machines, poking at a treadmill and making sure she's worked out how it, uh, works.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara flicks off the treadmill, moving to start up her conversation with Izzie again, when they're interrupted by the PA.
She glances at him, worried, then hesitantly moves towards the theater. At least where she thinks it was?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

For a brief moment Lara starts to flail, but clamps down hard on her reaction, squelching the panic and just going along with Gretchen to a seat (?).
She's looking around the theater, still keeping a lid on her panic, and whispers between her teeth.

"What's going on?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara blinks, confused, then looks at the weird lady that had grabbed her, then pulls away, heading out into a courtyard. Or yard, or something along those lines.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara jerks her hand away from Gretchen, stifling a yelp, and turns and faces her. Well, bodily at least--her head is pointed firmly away and down, and her hands are balled up into fists, trembling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Lara lets out a low, frustrated groan, then darts away, just... running. Running away, or something, without really paying attention where.
When she slows, she's near the gym, which was maybe deliberate, and she winds down as she goes back inside.

Briefly, she notices Izzie and Ewan, but then just slumps down against the wall near the door, watching.

• Locked thread