Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl

The new series from Netflix is the best original show Netflix has produced so far. Where "House of Cards" was impressive for its ambition as an internet show and may not quite have lived up to the standards of HBO/Showtime in terms of writing, "Orange..." manages to be both ambitious and successful.

It's from the same creator of Weeds. Premise (from wiki):

quote:

Orange Is the New Black revolves around Piper Chapman (Schilling), a woman from Connecticut, living in New York City who is sent to the women's Litchfield, NY federal prison for possessing a suitcase full of drug money for Alex Vause (Prepon), an international drug smuggler and Chapman's one-time lover. Sentenced to serve a fifteen-month sentence, Chapman must survive the hardships of prison life, and she may have to be a different person to do so.

All of its 13 episodes recently became available for streaming.

Reviews:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-ryan/orange-is-the-new-black_b_3612375.html

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2013-07/18/orange-is-the-new-black-netflix-review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/orange-is-new-black-tv-578162

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are we treating this thread like most Netflix shows - i.e. no spoiler tags, free talk about all episodes from the word go?

*looks at rap sheet for accidentally typing 'quote' not 'spoiler' in the TV Chat thread, d'oh.*

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
nvm

jane came by fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 24, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's my post on the show from the chat thread:

zoux posted:

OK, Orange is the New Black:

I have no idea what this show is trying to say. One one hand, it seems to be trying to be about a priviledged white girl coping with prison and how it changes her, but the message that comes across is that priviledged white girls are just as tough as anyone from the wrong side of the tracks. The show has no tension, everything is either immediately resolved for no reason or solved with some Pinterest arts and crafts bullshit from Piper. The racial divide that the show sets up in the beginning is quickly melted away and Piper is able to make friends and connect with just about everyone in prison. The characters are flat, aside from a few straight up villians, all the inmates have hearts of gold and everyone is wiling to come together to solve problems. It's extremely patronizing to minority and class issues, and shows all the depth on these issues that you'd expect from a few tweets, not a real exploration of these complex problems. Piper never feels alienated, abandoned, threatened or afraid, even though the show's dialogue tells us that she does. The whole thing smacks of white-people tourism, a quick drop into the slums that the person tells her friends at a later party gave her a real perspective on how the other half lives. The real drama and conflict is relationship drama, which is an odd choice for a show set in a prison, which offers a much more rich source of conflict and drama than a love triangle. This is a brief sketch of my issues, and I can cite examples if challenged, but I wanted to be broad so that this whole post wasn't spoiler text'd. But I do have to mention one scene, from the finale, that is among the worst I've ever seen: The loving Christmas pageant. This gets beyond just white patronizing minorites, it's just cliched bad TV. It had not one, but two "wow she turns out to be a great singer" moments. The mute character, who you knew would say something meaningful and important at a critical time, turns out to have a beautiful voice! and starts singing in the pageant for NO reason other than it is mandated that at some point a mute character say something meaningful and important. Three black women sing gospel versions of carols, because that's what white people think black people do. The whole thing is just so condescending and twee that I loving hate it. Look, people get all over Girls for ignoring minority issues entirely, but if this is what happens when priviledged white girls try to write about poor, black people, I'd rather they just kept on ignoring minority issues. The tone is also weird, it's just too upbeat a comedy for such a bleak setting. Either the comedy needs to be alot blacker or it needs to stop trying to be serious about issues.

The show's not all bad though. It's generally very well acted, and the characters are mostly likeable, if not realistic. Sophia, the transsexual inmate, in particular is a very interesting character, and the episode where they explore her backstory is probably the closest the show says to saying something meaningful. It's medium funny, the pacing is fine and as long as you don't think too deeply about it, it's fine. On the whole I'd give the season a B-, and will probably watch season 2.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I marathoned the entire thing this weekend and really enjoyed it. I thought everyone's performances were good, but I found myself more interested in what was happening with everyone except Pieper most of the time. Some of it was pretty predictable but other parts I managed to be surprised at. Slowly learning everyone's backstories and seeing who they are or were outside of prison was probably my favorite part.

The cast of characters was impressive, and diverse, which was nice to see. (It still felt like there were too many white dudes in and around this story which was supposed to be mostly about women, though.)

Kate Mulgrew was amazing, though her accent dropped a little bit here and there. Her story, both backstory and what will happen to her next season, is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

I will agree with what zoux said above though, especially the spoilered part. It does have major problems and the ending to the season was... bad. And kind of nonsensical. I'm looking forward to being able to discuss it openly.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 18, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

zoux posted:

I'd disagree on this: 'Piper never feels alienated, abandoned, threatened or afraid, even though the show's dialogue tells us that she does.'

There are a couple of good Piper breakdowns where she loses the false bravado and we see that she is completely broken. She withdraws and shuts down, which feels in line with the character. I don't know that I'd buy a big emotional outburst. When she accepts the reality of Red starving her out, and throws away the cornbread muffin - she's all alone in the middle of everyone, and clearly miserable. Later in the SHU we see another breakdown when the voice next door stops answering.

They don't dwell on anything overmuch and have her rebound far more quickly than is believable, but it's in some way necessary to move the plot along. In fact, everyone sort of bounces back from a lot of awful poo poo, and that understatement made the horrible things seem even worse without belaboring the point.

The spoilered poo poo is spot-on. It's like they didn't know how to fill an episode and just threw some poo poo at a wall.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 19, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Annakie posted:

I marathoned the entire thing this weekend and really enjoyed it. I thought everyone's performances were good, but I found myself more interested in what was happening with everyone except Pieper most of the time.

This is pretty much how I felt, didn't really care too much for the 'out of her depth, pretty white girl' thing and the storyline in the outside world. Didn't hate it, and it's an alright entry into a show at least.

Crazy Eyes, Yoga Jones, Nicols (?) etc were more interesting. It's very soap-ish, Lady Oz but it's enjoyable stuff and easy to watch a load of in a row. I'll be checking back next season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Engineer Lenk posted:

I'd disagree on this: 'Piper never feels alienated, abandoned, threatened or afraid, even though the show's dialogue tells us that she does.'

There are a couple of good Piper breakdowns where she loses the false bravado and we see that she is completely broken. She withdraws and shuts down, which feels in line with the character. I don't know that I'd buy a big emotional outburst. When she accepts the reality of Red starving her out, and throws away the cornbread muffin - she's all alone in the middle of everyone, and clearly miserable. Later in the SHU we see another breakdown when the voice next door stops answering.

They don't dwell on anything overmuch and have her rebound far more quickly than is believable, but it's in some way necessary to move the plot along. In fact, everyone sort of bounces back from a lot of awful poo poo, and that understatement made the horrible things seem even worse without belaboring the point.

The spoilered poo poo is spot-on. It's like they didn't know how to fill an episode and just threw some poo poo at a wall.

I'm skipping the spoilers because the general rule for Netflix shows is that once it's out it's considered aired.

The cornbread thing is actually the opposite of what you think it is. Her throwing away the muffin from Alex shows that she is actually standing strong in the face of starvation, as she is unwilling to accept a gesture from an enemy despite her great need. The starvation storyline was a real dropped ball. When Red gets in her face and yells "You aren't being hazed, you aren't being harrassed, you are being starved to death," I thought they were trying to say, "Hey your genteel rich girl ways aren't going to get you out of this one." But then she arts and crafts her way out of it and everyone was just so impressed at how hard she worked. If she was licking rocks for lichen and eating bugs, yeah that's suffering. Having your mouth burned a bit from eating jalapenos is not.

The solitary thing is even more ridiculous, because again she stands strong in the face of an enemy (Healy in this case) despite her great need. Then she completely breaks down after maybe 36 hours alone in a room, which I don't buy at all. The gold standard for mental and physical torture from solitary is, imo, Steve McQueen in Papillion, so if you want to see that idea done well, check out that movie.

As far as alienation, they miss so many opportunities to develop this. She gets assigned to the black dorms and you'd think she'd be rejected and isolated, but no, she instantly becomes friendly with all her dormmates, or at least non-confrontational. When she chews out her gruff (but with a heart of gold!) cellmate, instead of having her get shut down for thinking the movie cliche of standing up for yourself always works, they directly accept that cliche and she is endeared to her gruff cellmate for her spunk and moxie.

She faces no consequences for the screwdriver incident, instantly patching up her relationship with the girl who went to SHU in her place by opening the track, even with the completely hackneyed "Oh ho don't think this makes us even" line followed by a self satisfied smile as Piper realizes that in spite of her gruff exterior, she is actually getting through to this woman (with a heart of gold!)

I probably expected too much out of or something different from this show, but the kind of rave reviews this show has been getting from reviewers who I respect just baffles me.

It could not possibly be less this. The impression I get is that lady prison is like some sort of compulsory summer camp, not a Kafkaesque existential hellhole.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

It could not possibly be less this. The impression I get is that lady prison is like some sort of compulsory summer camp, not a Kafkaesque existential hellhole.

Oz is supposed to take place in a maximum security prison, right? They're clearly supposed to be in a minimum security setup on this show, with a maximum security setup somewhere else on the prison grounds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

Oz is supposed to take place in a maximum security prison, right? They're clearly supposed to be in a minimum security setup on this show, with a maximum security setup somewhere else on the prison grounds.

Sure but I've heard a lot of people make that comparison which is absolutely not accurate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think of it as Lady Oz due to the general feel of the storyline/character handling. Racial groups, back stories, fresh meat in a new environment, two faced characters etc. I loved Oz, and it's been a while since I watched it, I remember later seasons being balls to the wall bonkers though.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

zoux posted:

zoux posted:

OK, Orange is the New Black:

I have no idea what this show is trying to say. One one hand, it seems to be trying to be about a priviledged white girl coping with prison and how it changes her, but the message that comes across is that priviledged white girls are just as tough as anyone from the wrong side of the tracks. The show has no tension, everything is either immediately resolved for no reason or solved with some Pinterest arts and crafts bullshit from Piper. The racial divide that the show sets up in the beginning is quickly melted away and Piper is able to make friends and connect with just about everyone in prison. The characters are flat, aside from a few straight up villians, all the inmates have hearts of gold and everyone is wiling to come together to solve problems. It's extremely patronizing to minority and class issues, and shows all the depth on these issues that you'd expect from a few tweets, not a real exploration of these complex problems. Piper never feels alienated, abandoned, threatened or afraid, even though the show's dialogue tells us that she does. The whole thing smacks of white-people tourism, a quick drop into the slums that the person tells her friends at a later party gave her a real perspective on how the other half lives. The real drama and conflict is relationship drama, which is an odd choice for a show set in a prison, which offers a much more rich source of conflict and drama than a love triangle. This is a brief sketch of my issues, and I can cite examples if challenged, but I wanted to be broad so that this whole post wasn't spoiler text'd. But I do have to mention one scene, from the finale, that is among the worst I've ever seen: The loving Christmas pageant. This gets beyond just white patronizing minorites, it's just cliched bad TV. It had not one, but two "wow she turns out to be a great singer" moments. The mute character, who you knew would say something meaningful and important at a critical time, turns out to have a beautiful voice! and starts singing in the pageant for NO reason other than it is mandated that at some point a mute character say something meaningful and important. Three black women sing gospel versions of carols, because that's what white people think black people do. The whole thing is just so condescending and twee that I loving hate it. Look, people get all over Girls for ignoring minority issues entirely, but if this is what happens when priviledged white girls try to write about poor, black people, I'd rather they just kept on ignoring minority issues. The tone is also weird, it's just too upbeat a comedy for such a bleak setting. Either the comedy needs to be alot blacker or it needs to stop trying to be serious about issues.

The show's not all bad though. It's generally very well acted, and the characters are mostly likeable, if not realistic. Sophia, the transsexual inmate, in particular is a very interesting character, and the episode where they explore her backstory is probably the closest the show says to saying something meaningful. It's medium funny, the pacing is fine and as long as you don't think too deeply about it, it's fine. On the whole I'd give the season a B-, and will probably watch season 2.

This is pretty much on point.

The show is worth watching, but not thinking too hard about and certainly not worthy of comparisons to better TV shows. It is a "women in prison soap opera" and you should expect nothing more from it than melodrama and over-the-top portrayals of stereotypes. The odd thing here is that the over-the-top roles are infinity more interesting and better acted than the more subdued roles (i.e. Crazy Eyes and Pennsyltucky.) B- feels about right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The performances are very good, especially Mulgrew, Lyonne, Schreiber and especially especially Laverne Cox. Her backstory episode was so touching and heart rending and I don't know that I've seen a show do a better job humanizing and sympathizing what is probably among the most feared and misunderstood minorities in the US, transsexuals. I mean obviously they are humans, but they are so otherized that people just can't get past it and realize that they are just people too.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
This show was great. It's compulsively watchable and there are incredibly few missteps in both narrative and dialogue. My favorite "DRAMEDY" in a long, long time. Nearly every single character chosen to get their own scenes are intensely well humanized and rise far above the cheap, pat caricatures that this type of setting's typical stock in trade is.

I don't agree with any of the readings posted thus far, as it's reaching and misinterpreting too far into the creator's vision and unfairly placing an inexplicable weight of social responsibility upon it all at once. Just because a show is set in a prison doesn't mean it's contractually bound to be loaded down with patronizing, agonizingly joyless after-school special vibes

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 18, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

The pHo posted:

I think of it as Lady Oz due to the general feel of the storyline/character handling. Racial groups, back stories, fresh meat in a new environment, two faced characters etc. I loved Oz, and it's been a while since I watched it, I remember later seasons being balls to the wall bonkers though.

Then this is "Lady OZ" only as much as it's "Lady" every prison movie/show ever.

I definitely agree with where zoux is coming from, which is part of why I think calling it "Lady OZ" is kind of insulting to OZ. As hamfisted as OZ could be at times, it really took the setting and hit it from all the angles. For every issue with OitnB outlined in that post, you can look at OZ to see it done right. Even the pageant: it was the only time I fast forwarded in the show, but OZ's first season had a "talent show" that did everything this one was trying to accomplish emotionally and way, way, more by being rock bottom for Beecher.

It's nothing to do with levels of violence or prison type, OZ just clearly had something to say (and maybe a little too bluntly) where this show is just kinda meandering fluff that occasionally realizes there's something way bigger out there and shoehorns it in for a minute, before dropping it for more fluff. My favorite episodes were easily the first Mulgrew one and the back-story of the transgendered woman. These were why the show seemed so promising initially before settling for the easiest road (and definitely the most boring).

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I don't agree with any of the readings posted thus far, as it's reaching and misinterpreting too far into the creator's vision and unfairly placing an inexplicable weight of social responsibility upon it all at once. Just because a show is set in a prison doesn't mean it's contractually bound to be loaded down with patronizing, agonizingly joyless after-school special vibes

If you like the show that's fine, but that's a false dichotomy.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 18, 2013

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

zoux posted:

The cornbread thing is actually the opposite of what you think it is. Her throwing away the muffin from Alex shows that she is actually standing strong in the face of starvation, as she is unwilling to accept a gesture from an enemy despite her great need.

There's a gradual acceptance of the unwritten rules over the course of that episode (not bitching to Healy after bitching to Mendez earlier), and I thought this illustrated that more than it reflected on taking aid from Alex.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

If you like the show that's fine, but that's a false dichotomy.
It's not even a dichotomy, dude. I'm seeing complaints that the show didn't handle race with kid gloves in a tumblr-friendly fashion, and it's really, really clear to me that any such nannying message wasn't even on a list of priorities - humanizing the characters as complicated individuals was. I mean, getting distressed because Piper's stories weren't as interesting as other characters? Good, it's not exactly an accident that she looms around the edges of many episodes while they tell more immediate, compelling stories from a rich, deep cast of characters you will remember most of - a terrifyingly daunting task with a 13 episode order.

Your comparison of the show to Oz is really muddled. You open your post by saying it's not "Lady Oz", but then you bend over backwards to try to posit that it somehow should be? They're very different animals with different objectives in the way they execute perspectives even though the narrative device is shockingly similar. Go figure, there's only so many ways you can make prison dramas compelling without essentially turning them into MSNBC's syndication docs.

I'm not going to spend a sad number of words debating the merits of the show because I got what it was going for the whole time and it was intensely enjoyable against all expectation (post-S1 Weeds? lol). It's not exactly a mystery to me why this thing is reviewing through the roof from so many critics with experienced, credible voices.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 18, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's not even a dichotomy, dude. I'm seeing complaints that the show didn't handle race with kid gloves in a tumblr-friendly fashion, and it's really, really clear to me that any such nannying message wasn't even on a list of priorities - humanizing the characters as complicated individuals was. I mean, getting distressed because Piper's stories weren't as interesting as other characters? Good, it's not exactly an accident that she looms around the edges of many episodes while they tell more immediate, compelling stories from a rich, deep cast of characters you will remember most of - a terrifyingly daunting task with a 13 episode order.

Your comparison of the show to Oz is really muddled. You open your post by saying it's not "Lady Oz", but then you bend over backwards to try to posit that it somehow should be? They're very different animals with different objectives in the way they execute perspectives even though the narrative device is shockingly similar. Go figure, there's only so many ways you can make prison dramas compelling without essentially turning them into MSNBC's syndication docs.

I'm not going to spend a sad number of words debating the merits of the show because I got what it was going for the whole time and it was intensely enjoyable against all expectation (post-S1 Weeds? lol). It's not exactly a mystery to me why this thing is reviewing through the roof from so many critics with experienced, credible voices.

You misunderstand the complaints. The dichotomy you presented was it's either exactly the show it is or the exact opposite as this fabricated "tumblr friend", "nannying" vision you've perceived, when the episodes I referenced were ones that managed to find a balance the rest of the show falls short off.

Also you are way hostile about this show. Seriously, it's cool if you like it. Take it easy, man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I also wish they would've made Pornstache two characters. Pablo's great at both the intimidating villian and the crass comic relief, but it's hard to laugh at a dude that rapes prisoners.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I didn't expect to watch the whole thing in three days, but I did. I loved each episode, and really am looking forward to the next season.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I'll just chime in to say this was a great season of TV. It certainly was not perfect or anything, but I've never watched a TV show that I unconditionally and unequivocally thought was perfect (yes that includes The Wire). At 13 hours, not every single scene is going to hit, but on the whole I thought it was great TV.

I thought this season 1 review encapsulated my thoughts pretty much perfectly, from the overall impression/grade to how the little quibbles that I did have don't really matter in the grand scheme of the season.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-complete-first-season,100179/

Breaking Bad is the only thing this year I expect to watch that I will enjoy more than this show. Just thought it was fantastic.

e: Also, here's an interview with the show runner for anyone who's curious to get a look into just what she was trying to say or whatever. Personally, I think the talk above about "what's shes trying to say" to be a little ... melodramatic I guess. I went into this show basically blind and never once thought this say was trying to say or preach anything (other then general "prison reform" stuff) nor did I expect it to. Especially considering the comedic undercurrent it carries, it surprises me that some people were apparently expecting Wire-esque social commentary just because it got good reviews. Like the implication being good TV has to have "something to say" to truly be good/meaningful, which I guess might be a decent argument but I don't know if I buy it really. The show is unique, with mostly strong characters, and mostly strong narratives. I don't know if it really needs social commentary. Maybe the Oz comparisons create certain expectations although that's a really lazy and surface-level comparison because the shows really are not similar other than being set in prisons. And even the prisons are not the same between the gender and security levels (and the type of criminals within that type of security level) involved.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/interview-orange-is-the-new-black-creator-jenji-kohan-talks-prison-netflix-and-jodie-foster

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 19, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I thought the show was pretty awesome, a (male) friend of mine watched it as well who did some time in medium security and he said that even though it's a women's prison it's the most honest portrayal of everyday prison life that he's seen on screen (the same guy hated Oz). Overall I thought it was great and all the characters were awesome, but there were a couple things I didn't like, some really out of place "feel-good" moments like the pageant and Taystee dancing her way out of the prison, and some of the storylines felt a little too unresolved at the end of the season. Also, it seemed like as soon as an episode focused on a character's backstory we saw significantly less of that character, like Janae who pretty much disappeared after her episode.

Those are all just small complaints though, and it's a very good show, easily the best netflix series so far. I have no idea what actually happened in real life but I do hope that they don't (Finale spoilers)extend Piper's sentence as a result of the beating just to churn out more and more seasons. Kohan should learn from weeds and not drag the show out too long.

Starks fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 19, 2013

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I'm really just happy to see Kate Mulgrew in a major tv show again. She's excellent. :)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Aatrek posted:

I didn't expect to watch the whole thing in three days, but I did. I loved each episode, and really am looking forward to the next season.
That was at the core of my fondness for it - the premise wasn't something I'd expect to gobble up, but this is a series where the urge to hit the "Play Next" button at the credits is more irresistible than anything short my personal all-time favorite shows.

I kept bracing for the line of dialogue that would falter as too cheesy, too cornball, and too on the nose and shatter the illusion of sustained radness like I suspect every non-HBO top tier classic to eventually hiccup, but it never came. The speech in this show was whip-smart all the way through. This is how you reference pop culture items without making an embarrassing forced spectacle of it each time.

jane came by posted:

I'm really just happy to see Kate Mulgrew in a major tv show again. She's excellent. :)
Agreed. Nastasha Lyonne (Nicky) put in my favorite performance, alongside Laura Prepon and then Mulgrew. I root for longtime "it girls" to get the chance to exercise their legitimate acting chops upon quality material that lets them break out of their longtime "Captain Janeway" or "Donna from that 70s show" boxes. This seems to be a much rarer occurrence in successive TV roles than it is in standout film roles, so it was really invigorating to witness and enjoy multiple breakthroughs simultaneously.

Starks posted:

Those are all just small complaints though, and it's a very good show, easily the best netflix series so far. I have no idea what actually happened in real life but I do hope that they don't (Finale spoilers)extend Piper's sentence as a result of the beating just to churn out more and more seasons. Kohan should learn from weeds and not drag the show out too long.
A reasonable concern, but the episodes spanned a mere three months so that plot possibility might not even be necessary for a longterm endgame. Seems like it's up to Jenji Kohan in regards how much they want to dilate the passage of time.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 19, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Piper making the Michael Jackson is white joke and doing the Thriller dance didn't strike you as cornball?

My favorite line from the show was probably "It's racist to just say Africa"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It was cornball within her character, which makes all the difference because it's a deliberate choice and not an embarrassing misstep (she was wearing a goddamn maxi-pad facemask). One of the first things you learn about Piper is that she's a hugely oblivious, selfish, narcissistic dork, which is why that dark undercurrent of "prison teaches you the truth about yourself" is the recurrent theme in her struggle to grow and attempt change.

The only time the show got close to harming credibility were musical cues here and there being too precious, but it didn't have much negative blowback on what actually transpired within the scene.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Yeah, the biggest wince moment for me was when she blew off Pennsatucky at the baptism. She was showing such excellent pragmatism, but her blinders reappeared. Prison is not the place to make some grand moral point about living authentically. Take the loving baptism, humor Pennsatucky, and generally defuse her anger enough that when you go back to sinning, she doesn't feel trampled upon. That's Piper's recurring problem. She makes a mistake, gets beaten down, and finally capitulates to whatever prison reality is manifesting itself. Then, just when she's about to slide back under the prison's notice, she gets a wild hair up her rear end and has to prove how clever and right she is.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

TheBalor posted:

Yeah, the biggest wince moment for me was when she blew off Pennsatucky at the baptism. She was showing such excellent pragmatism, but her blinders reappeared. Prison is not the place to make some grand moral point about living authentically. Take the loving baptism, humor Pennsatucky, and generally defuse her anger enough that when you go back to sinning, she doesn't feel trampled upon. That's Piper's recurring problem. She makes a mistake, gets beaten down, and finally capitulates to whatever prison reality is manifesting itself. Then, just when she's about to slide back under the prison's notice, she gets a wild hair up her rear end and has to prove how clever and right she is.

Fittingly though, this last moment of sheer stupidity, combined with her ongoing "feud" with Healey, but her in a spot she couldnt reason, negotiate, or charm her way out of.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Natasha Lyonne is pretty good here. She knows the material well too, the whole thing about her having open heart surgery after being junked up for too many years? True story, that scar is real.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Orange is the New Black has some tonal and narrative missteps, but I don't think I've literally ever seen a television show before this that gave it's characters such deep level of humanity and dignity. Not depth, because that's English 101 for "woah I didn't expect to learn that about ___'s past!", but actually showing that the inmates are real people who exist and have existed outside the vacuum of both prison and television scripting. The COs and people outside being flat, one dimensional props helps exemplify this, but also shows the writers' inconsistency (having all the inmates being real, breathing human beings while making Mendez Sheriff Lamb from Veronica Mars and Piper's Brother a side character from an Apatow film could be intentional, but that might be giving the writing staff too much credit).

Another thing I liked was Taystee not just being the 'institutionalized man' from Shawshank Redemption. Both the plot and the character do a good job outlining the trap cycle of poverty and incarceration.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
I binged through it as well. Really enjoyed it. I think my favorite aspect of the show is slow transition of presenting Piper completely from her perspective as an innocent victim of past mistakes to showing her from other people's perspective as the selfish manipulator. I think that was really well done. As much as I love Breaking Bad, one aspect of that show I have never quite bought into is Walter White's transition. It's always seemed too drastic to me. In contrast, I think this show has done a better job by not showing a drastic change in Piper's character so much as changing the perspective in which you view her character.

On the negative side, I'm not looking forward to the next season of this show. I think it would have been much stronger as a single season. Especially with all of the major conflicts coming to, mostly, satisfying conclusions. It feels like the next season they will have to reopen the existing conflicts or manufacture new ones. I'm afraid it will go down the path of Weeds where it starts with a strong premise and solid plotting, then just start to wander into sillier and sillier territory.

For example, in the last episode it definitely felt to me like the writers were saying to themselves, "Ok, now how to we set things up so that she has to stay in prison?" By extension, that may be why Pennsatucky is, IMHO, the least believable character. She had to be in order to have the last episode work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

See I don't think they have to lengthen her sentence at all. The whole first season takes place over what, two months? They could get one or two more seasons out of her 15 month sentence and then they could explore her reintegration back into society for another one or two seasons.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

zoux posted:

See I don't think they have to lengthen her sentence at all. The whole first season takes place over what, two months? They could get one or two more seasons out of her 15 month sentence and then they could explore her reintegration back into society for another one or two seasons.

I see what you are saying here and I actually think that this direction would make for a better show. However, after the events of the last episode, I don't think that's the direction the show is going in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought she was thrown away during the Summer? I was thinking it was set over about 5 or 6 months in total.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should switch to the 24 model and do it in real time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aatrek posted:

The original series are really dangerous since they make episode binging so easy.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

The pHo posted:

I thought she was thrown away during the Summer? I was thinking it was set over about 5 or 6 months in total.

I believe it's early-mid fall when she goes in. IIRC the leaves had already turned the first time Larry hangs out with Piper's brother, and I think she had only been in prison for a few weeks at that point.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I liked it. For me the worst parts were the boyfriend parts, which made me just put the show in the background until it was over.

One thing I'm a bit unclear on - the screwdriver - did they explain where the extra screwdriver in the truck came from, or was it just a drat lucky coincidence?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

ymgve posted:

I liked it. For me the worst parts were the boyfriend parts, which made me just put the show in the background until it was over.

One thing I'm a bit unclear on - the screwdriver - did they explain where the extra screwdriver in the truck came from, or was it just a drat lucky coincidence?

I figured Luscheck bought it to save himself the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

ymgve posted:

Piper forgot the screwdriver in her pocket. Boo started using it as a dildo handle. The shop guy secretly replaced it because if it turned up in a prisoner's hands, he would be fired. Boo then later gave the dildo-screw back to Piper.

• Locked thread