Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

This is a thread dedicated to discussing all the various wares from one of the largest and oldest still independent running comic book companies.

Originally MLJ Magazines, Archie Comics is a brand that dates all the way back to the 'golden age' of comic books, it's first venture into the medium being Blue Ribbon Comics. The character inspiring it's titles nomenclature, Archie Andrews, was a breakout success who carried the publisher for decades with it's simple folksy slice-of-life stories about endless high school years and will-they-won't-they love triangle drama. Though the company did do some small ventures into the fantasy, horror and superhero genres under the Red Circle Comics brand during the 70s and 80s and published some licensed comics such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures and a very short lived Street Shark comic. The comic is also served as the launching pad for some notable characters like Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Josie and The Pussycats.

Archie Comics has a long, strange and convoluted history, filled with oddities such as the time the Riverdale gang was licensed out to a devout christian group and a terrible 90s live-action movie.

What is Archie Currently Doing?

Archie (obviously)

Nearing their 650th issue, the main Archie comic is still running strong, but has for the past decade tried hard to stay fresh and modernize, to varying degrees of success.

Some of the main long running comic lines, such as Jughead or Betty, have been canceled in recent years, but at the same time Archie is experimenting with the Riverdale cast in lots of new ways.

Such as Life With Archie

A comic series that explores two different, and pretty bleak, timelines, the prime difference between them being if Archie married Betty or Veronica.

Kevin Keller

An openly gay teenager with leadership ambitions named Kevin Keller is the main star of this branch of the Archie franchise. It's nice a slice of life comic much like the main Archie series.

But they still retain the double digests and old series like Betty & Veronica

And now they've launched a new line The Afterlife With Archie capitalizing on the inescapable zombie craze.

They've even made a nifty little video to advertize it

And in non-comic news Archie has partnered up with Warner Bros with plans to create a new live-action movie. So it's exciting times for the comic. Hopefully it doesn't stink like the 90s version.

Aside from teenage drama, the company also publishes a fully digital superhero line under the revived Red Circle Comics brand called The New Crusaders.

The series is set after the events of the original Crusaders, and features the descendants of the heroes assuming the mantel of the old team. Though The Shield returns from the old series.

And also new is The Fox

A series staring what could be described as the lovechild of Batman and Spiderman. A journalist who dresses up as a superhero to create an easy story somehow gets embroiled in weird and nefarious plots and only he can stop it. Better description here.

Archie also has continued it tradition on licensed comics with it's most popular series, and longest ever running video game comic, Sonic the Hedgehog which has just passed it's 250th issue, and Megaman, a relatively newer comic. Who have just about finished a huge 12 part crossover event between the two, called Worlds Collide.

Megaman

The Megaman comic keeps rather close to the source games, retelling the stories for this different medium. And was last left off before it was interrupted by World Collides in a arc featuring Ra Moon.

Sonic

The Sonic comic is a huge long beast that has not been very much like the game series for most of its life, but is slowly drifting towards more fidelity. A controversial series, but it has its fans. Currently undergoing strange real world legal problems with a previous writer of the comic which has resulted in a sizable bunch of the cast being left unusable. Undergoing a soft reboot after World Collides ends, with many of the characters getting big redesigns.

Sonic Universe

Sonic Universe is a spinoff comic that does arcs featuring the other characters in the Sonic franchise besides the blue hedgehog, giving them their own plots and a time to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pleasant Friend posted:

Sonic

The Sonic comic is a huge long beast that has not been very much like the game series for most of its life, but is slowly drifting towards more fidelity. A controversial series, but it has its fans. Currently undergoing strange real world legal problems with a previous writer of the comic which has resulted in a sizable bunch of the cast being left unusable. Undergoing a soft reboot after World Collides ends, with many of the characters getting big redesigns.

I remember reading that comic as a kid (from near the beginning up through like 60-something) and it amazes me that it's still going. How do they have legal issues that prevent them from using characters? You'd think that as long as Archie Comics has been around they'd have a contract that would prevent something like that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I used to read Archie all the drat time as a kid. Often when traveling internationally I'd buy double digests and whatever to occupy my time on the plane. I even bought the comic where Betty and Veronica go to West Edmonton Mall, which was exciting for me since I had just moved to Edmonton at the time and asked my parents if we could go to a special they were appearing at for the mall. I remember New Archie. Sheesh.

Haven't read it in a long while, like a decade+. I might actually check things out again. And that cover of Life with Archie is beautiful.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember reading that comic as a kid (from near the beginning up through like 60-something) and it amazes me that it's still going. How do they have legal issues that prevent them from using characters? You'd think that as long as Archie Comics has been around they'd have a contract that would prevent something like that.

It's not Sega causing legal problems for Archie but it is actually one of the previous writers of the Sonic comics, Ken Penders. Essentially Penders claims that he owns all the "original characters" he made for the Knuckles comics. He wanted to use those characters in a graphic novel series called the The Lara-Su Chronicles. Archie responded to this by throwing all the Echidnas besides Knuckles into another dimension.

Bringing that up gives me an excuse to post these images.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LateToTheParty posted:

It's not Sega causing legal problems for Archie but it is actually one of the previous writers of the Sonic comics, Ken Penders. Essentially Penders claims that he owns all the "original characters" he made for the Knuckles comics. He wanted to use those characters in a graphic novel series called the The Lara-Su Chronicles. Archie responded to this by throwing all the Echidnas besides Knuckles into another dimension.

I'm still astounded that when Archie hired Ken Penders, one of the terms of the contract wasn't "btw we own everything you produce on the clock here" or something like that. I love the "throw them all into another dimension" response, though, that's hilarious.

Also, those images, wow. Someone saw himself as the Carl Barks of Knuckles McDuck the Echidna

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Also, those images, wow. Someone saw himself as the Carl Barks of Knuckles McDuck the Echidna

Ken Penders is loving insane if I remember correctly.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

I used to read Archie all the drat time as a kid. Often when traveling internationally I'd buy double digests and whatever to occupy my time on the plane. I even bought the comic where Betty and Veronica go to West Edmonton Mall, which was exciting for me since I had just moved to Edmonton at the time and asked my parents if we could go to a special they were appearing at for the mall. I remember New Archie. Sheesh.

Haven't read it in a long while, like a decade+. I might actually check things out again. And that cover of Life with Archie is beautiful.

Pretty much the same with me, I'd read it a lot as a kid, especially on sleepovers at my friends house who had like, a full bookcase of archie, garfeild and goosbumps books. drat that kid was lucky.

If you want to get back into it you can find it at any grocery store checkout or gas station, maybe even a comic shop. I think one of the biggest things keeping them in business is the fact Walmart and the like didn't ban them in the 90s like Marvel and DC did because of soccer moms. That and they really promote their subscription model.

Well that's the thing, apparently Archie was pretty lazy with it's paperwork back in those days and they lost the original contract, or Penders claims he never signed one in the first place. All they had to show the court is a photocopy, which wasn't accepted as sufficient evidence. So, the judge dismissed the case and most signs point to Ken Penders now being the legal owner of some breathtakingly original characters like "Evil-Sonic" and a million Knuckles clones.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 22, 2014

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

Pleasant Friend posted:

And for comparison sake here's the preview of the new redesigns. Looks very Sega-fied.
-Before

-After

What's behind Bunnie there in the new design, that looks like the same color she is? Does she have a huge tail or something? :confused:

I used to read Sonic from somewhere around #20-#100. I dropped it because the writing/art was consistently bad (Ron Lim in particular was terrible, I'll take Tracy Yardley any day). I'd like to pick it up again now that they're throwing out a lot of the older continuity with Penders' stuff. I wonder if new readers will be able to easily pick it up from there?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

ashweh posted:

What's behind Bunnie there in the new design, that looks like the same color she is? Does she have a huge tail or something? :confused:

I used to read Sonic from somewhere around #20-#100. I dropped it because the writing/art was consistently bad (Ron Lim in particular was terrible, I'll take Tracy Yardley any day). I'd like to pick it up again now that they're throwing out a lot of the older continuity with Penders' stuff. I wonder if new readers will be able to easily pick it up from there?

I think it's a ponytail.

Well it sounds like you dropped it during the awful highschool anime phase, the Sonic comic was basically in a dark age for over a hundred issues until the new writer, Ian Flynn, took over at #160, he really turned it around, and now almost a hundred issues later it's a great little book, remembered how to be fun.

As for where to pick it up, usual consensus I've heard is at #175, since by then Flynn had already gotten rid of most of the bad canon, and the other problem bits just never were referenced. But I've also heard #160, #200 and #225 are fine places to start off too. I'd think the start of Worlds Collide would also be a good starting point.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
Archie and Sonic were kind of my first foray into comics. My school library had some of the Archie comics digests to check out when I was a kid. Looking back, I don't know what drew my 8-year-old self back in 1996 to the comic. But I really got into the Sonic comics for a while, coming in at around that one Endgame storyline. Also really liked the Knuckles comics. I've taken a look at some of them again recently, and it really is a shame how awfully they hold up. I've heard nothing but good things about the current Ian Flynn run, though. Also heard really good things about the Megaman comic.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
I've also heard good things about the Sonic comic. I will start to read it soon, mainly the crossover with MegaMan. I got some of them today at Comic-con (signed by Mr. Flynn too! He was a pretty cool guy).

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

So at Comic Con Archie did some things this year, like announce two new books.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-book-news/article/58381-two-archie-books-announced-at-comic-con-2013.html

quote:

Archie Comics announced plans to release two new book collections at the San Diego Comic-Con International: The Best of Archie Comics: Betty & Veronica, collecting the best stories starring Archie’s girlfriends over the last 70 years; and Archie’s Valentine: A Rock & Roll Romance, a new addition to the Archie Married graphic novel series in which Archie and Valerie Brown of Josie and the Pussycats get married. A Rock & Roll Romance will be released in January 2014 and the Best of Betty & Veronica will be released in April 2014.

Here's a small article on Kevin Keller just talking about his creation and fans
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46839

A bunch of preview covers were shown for Megaman and Sonic, here is a upcoming villain that's going to feature in the next Sonic Universe arc, Metal Pirate Sonic.

Sorry about lovely quality.

With World Collide finally ended here's a spoiler filled review of some of the recent chapters of it's saga, really impressive artwork.
http://www.destructoid.com/impressions-sonic-mega-man-worlds-collide-7-9-258374.phtml

Edit
And he's a detailed write up on the new 'The Fox' with some preview images.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/07/11/the-fox-comic-book-series/2510141/

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 26, 2013

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I read a lot of Archie growing up, and I still have a fairly encyclopedic knowledge of most of the things that happened pre-2000. I picked up Life With Archie on a whim and I ended up enjoying it. The first 18 issues or so had this crazy ridiculous overarching plot where they did their version of Crisis on Infinite Earths; the two timelines were on a collision course and were threatening all of reality. Yeah that was pretty nuts, in a good way.

Even outside of that though, I was quite surprised that they tackled a lot of things that you wouldn't see in the main line. Characters die, get arrested for corruption, are being driven to the poorhouse by the recession, etc. And might I add, I am pleased that Riverdale, the idealized America, got gay marriage before most of real America? I won't say that this series is a masterpiece, but as someone who grew up with the Riverdale gang, I find it utterly fascinating.

Also, I did not know about that zombie one; zombies may be played out but I am so loving on board with this.

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 26, 2013

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I used to be a huge loving fan of that stupid rear end Sonic comic when I was a kid. I had every issue (including the Scott Shaw! miniseries that came first), and used to defend it all the time, but looking back, it was absolutely horrible. Ken Penders was a nut, an absolute nut, all of the artists were just terrible, especially Dave Manak and Art Mawhinny. Pat Spaz was great at first, but he lost his mind like everyone else after a while. The last issue I remember buying was "Brave New World". I think I literally grew up enough to go "Thats enough." I still have all those issues somewhere, in a big box. Honestly, I wish I would have spent my $1.25 on something else every month.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Huh, in an odd piece of news it's been announced that Archie will now be getting a new animated series, called "It's Archie"

http://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/moonscoop-archie-comics-relaunch-archie/

Did not expect that, well, I hope it turns out good (...though that art style is something I'll have to get used to)

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I used to be a huge loving fan of that stupid rear end Sonic comic when I was a kid. I had every issue (including the Scott Shaw! miniseries that came first), and used to defend it all the time, but looking back, it was absolutely horrible. Ken Penders was a nut, an absolute nut, all of the artists were just terrible, especially Dave Manak and Art Mawhinny. Pat Spaz was great at first, but he lost his mind like everyone else after a while. The last issue I remember buying was "Brave New World". I think I literally grew up enough to go "Thats enough." I still have all those issues somewhere, in a big box. Honestly, I wish I would have spent my $1.25 on something else every month.

That would be relatively early in the comic around #51 - #52 I think, just after the first time they killed Eggman. Spaz still works for the comic, I think he's really improved since then.

Speaking of Ken Penders, there is some new news about his plans now that he's finished the with court case, he wants to create a graphic novel or tv series and uhh, he's produced some concept art
http://www.tssznews.com/2013/07/19/ken-penders-reveals-new-direction-for-the-lara-su-chronicles/

Pictured: Knuckles daughter Lara-Su

Though he isn't completely done with legal issues, apparently he still intends to sue SEGA and Bioware over 2008 Sonic Chronicles, which he believes is a ripoff of his copyright.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I followed Sonic for a while as a kid and now find the early evolution from PUN COMIX™ to Dark-N-Brooding particularly fascinating. I've been meaning to dig out my back issues to see if I can pinpoint just where it went off the edge. I want to say probably with the EVE issue where Robotnik's brand new evolving nano-bot develops sentience, concludes he's a dick, and zorches him before flying off into space to explore its newfound humanity or something
I haven't followed the news much, so whatever you say about Spaz is probably right, but I'll say one thing: I've always really liked his Robotnik.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pleasant Friend posted:

Though he isn't completely done with legal issues, apparently he still intends to sue SEGA and Bioware over 2008 Sonic Chronicles, which he believes is a ripoff of his copyright.

I don't know how intellectual copyright works or what all his copyright covers, but Chronicles does pretty much have "lost echidna tribe" as its central story focus, so it could seriously hold ground.

But then, Chronicles was a pretty lovely game and it sold poorly so I don't know why he gives a poo poo. He's not gonna be rollin' in dough if he gets royalties or anything.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
When did Penders start all this Echinda nonsense? Because I thought that all played pretty heavily in Sonic Adventure back in 98 as well...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Choco1980 posted:

When did Penders start all this Echinda nonsense? Because I thought that all played pretty heavily in Sonic Adventure back in 98 as well...

Even before that, echidna ancestors were showing up during Chaotix sagas.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well I meant in-game universe. Though to be fair, I thought in Sonic 3, it was even implied that Knuckles was a descendant of some lost people, tasked with protecting the chaos emeralds.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oh, the Echidna stuff has been around since Sonic 3, yeah. Problem is, Penders really really liked the idea of his version of the race being a nature vs. technology thing, and he made up this entirely separate group of them called the Dark Legion. They were basically techno sith lords with cloaks and poo poo, and lived in/were exiled to a separate zone, and were all techy and lasery and poo poo.

Basically Penders pulled a bunch of poo poo out of his rear end, and made one of your standard super-cliche sci-fi races. When Bioware was starting Chronicles, Sega more or less handed Bioware some of the Knuckles comics for ideas since the comic is, by far, the most story heavy portion of the franchise (for better or, much more often, worse). This was pretty much fine, because it's hard to say Sega doesn't own Knuckles-only-with-a-cloak on, which is what every loving member of that group looked like (Penders was not terribly creative, you see). Only, apparently, copyright law is a little hosed and Archie somehow did not have a fully ironclad work-for-hire contract with Penders, and it all went pear shaped when he tried to milk them for all they're worth.

See, one important thing to know, is that Penders is not a very successful artist or writer overall. He's also got an ego the size of Jupiter. He's done some Star Trek comics, and he has a creator-owned series called "The Lost Ones" which he has been shopping around in Hollywood with no success. He's also tried multiple times to make a Sonic theatrical movie; only based on the Saturday morning TV show from like twenty loving years ago. Overall, the Sonic comics were, by far, his most successful project, and even there he's generally regarded as a massive douchebag. He has a well earned reputation for always having to have things his way, including ignoring everything the other writer was doing while it was happening.

He thinks he owns loving "Evil Sonic", who is, quite literally, Sonic-with-a-leather-jacket-and-sunglasses-from-a-mirror-universe. It would be like the writer of one of the mirror universe episodes of Star Trek trying to say they own Spock-with-a-goatee.

He's like CWC, basically.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm reading Life with Archie right now, with that very cover in fact (which is awesome) and you know what, yeah it is kinda harsh in terms of putting challenging life situations for the characters. But I am preferring this to the superhero nonsense. I think a change of pace is a good idea.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

I'm reading Life with Archie right now, with that very cover in fact (which is awesome) and you know what, yeah it is kinda harsh in terms of putting challenging life situations for the characters. But I am preferring this to the superhero nonsense. I think a change of pace is a good idea.

I really like the melancholy issues, such as when Mrs. Grundy develops a terminal illness, it's a more refreshing take on the characters than just light comedy, though at times I fear it can become a -bit- jarring.

And speaking of the cover art, after the success of their hardcover book "The Art of Betty & Veronica" they've decided to make a new compilation book "The Art of Archie: The Covers" which seems like a nifty idea to me, if I had a coffee table I might get it.

And here is a preview for Archie #646 Archie in spaaaccceeeee
http://www.comicosity.com/first-look-archie-comics-646/

And in random news a designer has launched a new line of comic themed shoes...
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/charlotte-olympia-archie-comics-line-article-1.1411547

Edit- Oh and here's a spoiler filled review of the final 2 chapters of Worlds Collide.
http://www.destructoid.com/impressions-sonic-mega-man-worlds-collide-10-12-259049.phtml

The whole crossover I think is just a really great rollercoster ride all the way through, I really recommend it to anyone interested in the characters, they set it up so anybody can just pick it up without any knowledge of the prior issues in mind.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 4, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pleasant Friend posted:

Edit- Oh and here's a spoiler filled review of the final 2 chapters of Worlds Collide.
http://www.destructoid.com/impressions-sonic-mega-man-worlds-collide-10-12-259049.phtml

The whole crossover I think is just a really great rollercoster ride all the way through, I really recommend it to anyone interested in the characters, they set it up so anybody can just pick it up without any knowledge of the prior issues in mind.

I have a limited knowledge of Sonic the Hedgehog (stopped caring after the first Dreamcast game) and I thought the crossover was insanely entertaining.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Now I dunno about these talking hedgehogs, but Mega Man is a faithful adaptation that manages avoid taking itself too seriously. It's good! You should read it. With the crossover finished, Mega Man is moving into what appears to be a fusion of Mega Man 3 and Super Adventure Rockman, strangely enough.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I was a kid, the Archie character I liked the most was Dilton. He seemed to have all kinds of poo poo going on that was only rarely touched upon, including at least one high-tech science fiction adventure I read. Did that just get phased out as time went on, or do they still occasionally do stuff with that?

Oh, and Jughead had some sort of time-travel adventure going on, using his crown as the focal point of it. Did that vanish like Dilton's Super-Science?

(Did they ever pay off the tease as to what Jughead's sweater's "S" stood for?)

Edit: Looks like Dilton and Jughead had spinoff comics around 1990 that were exactly these plots. So, I guess they were dropped.

Now I feel old. That was 23 years ago. God drat.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 11, 2013

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I keep wanting Dilton's science buddy Danni to re-emerge in Life With Archie, but it hasn't happened yet. I also want the Time Police stuff to crop up the next time they decide to introduce a fantastical plot element, or a Sabrina plot. Or The Punisher coming back.

The 'S' on Jughead's shirt is meant to be one of those mysteries that will never be answered, so no.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LateToTheParty posted:

I know this post is a month old but there is something profoundly wrong with Knuckles' mouth in that second image.

I never read the Archie comics but I imagine that trying to get deeply invested in a Sonic mythos would be difficult enough without them all looking like day-glo jelly-mutants.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All this talk of the Megaman/Sonic crossover and not a single post with the most amazing cover ever?

I haven't kept up with it in years, but I know the guy doing the majority of the art for the Sonic comics is really great. Tracy Yardley. It really captures the style better than uh well

Regarding Archie, isn't the person who does that horrible Menage a 3 comic now an actual artist for the covers?

Also can someone give me some context for this cause :lol:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Macaluso posted:

I haven't kept up with it in years, but I know the guy doing the majority of the art for the Sonic comics is really great. Tracy Yardley. It really captures the style better than uh well

Yardley is good when it comes to the Sonic characters, but his Mega Man looked kinda bad.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Also can someone give me some context for this cause :lol:

I believe that’s from the House of Cards Arc. Where Tails fights Sonic because Tails’ parents returned from outer space to bring democracy to their new home planet through means of violent revolution, but Sonic sides with the monarchy because he’s screwing the princess. But the "real" reason Tails is pissed off at Sonic is because Sonic was dating Tails’ unrequited love interest, who turned out to be cheating on Sonic with Evil-Sonic anyway.

Macaluso posted:

All this talk of the Megaman/Sonic crossover and not a single post with the most amazing cover ever?
Eggman and Wilys super bromance was the most spectacular thing, if only evil villain crossover laws didn't demand they had to betray each other by the end of the story.

Gavok posted:

Yardley is good when it comes to the Sonic characters, but his Mega Man looked kinda bad.

Speaking of Megaman, here is a preview for issue #28
http://www.destructoid.com/dr-wily-wets-himself-in-mega-man-28-259441.phtml
Probably the most dark issue of Megaman yet.

But yeah, one of my few complaints about Worlds Collide, aside from some pacing issues, was that sometimes Megaman looked like he wearing a blue diaper. A shame really, Yardley is otherwise really good, he just didn't have time to get used to Megaman style.

I think my favorite artist for the crossover had to be a tossup between Jamal Peppers and Ben Bates, with Peppers just eking out ahead.

Wow, Bass and Metal Sonic are such trolls...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pleasant Friend posted:

I believe that’s from the House of Cards Arc. Where Tails fights Sonic because Tails’ parents returned from outer space to bring democracy to their new home planet through means of violent revolution, but Sonic sides with the monarchy because he’s screwing the princess. But the "real" reason Tails is pissed off at Sonic is because Sonic was dating Tails’ unrequited love interest, who turned out to be cheating on Sonic with Evil-Sonic anyway.

Can I just say, I hope someone took the time to scan in pictures of Sonic/Tails' arguing and photoshop in Wolverine and Cyclop's dialogue from X-Men: Schisim.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Ken Penders tries to publish his Original Character Do Not Steal Chronicles, isn't Sega likely to try to prevent publication on the grounds that the characters are all a bit derivative?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I can second the love of Life With Archie which finally answers the 70 year old question of what happens to archie and the gang after they graduate high school, it's a surprisingly adult and realistic take on each character and their foibles with some really tragic moments, and introduces twists and turns that makes for a really engaging and genuinely good comic with good writing.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 12, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pleasant Friend posted:

Speaking of Megaman, here is a preview for issue #28
http://www.destructoid.com/dr-wily-wets-himself-in-mega-man-28-259441.phtml
Probably the most dark issue of Megaman yet.

Yeah, seriously. Not only because of Break Man accidentally blasting Roll and going "OH poo poo! What have I done?!" but for the stuff at the end outright showing us that lots of people are going to die and no amount of coming back and saving the day from Mega Man will stop it.

Also, I have a review of the Worlds Collide crossover here.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 12, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pleasant Friend posted:

Pffffthahahahahaha I really hope that was the actual story because that is hilarious.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It seriously is. Oh, there's more, though! Those aliens were also the writers' "gently caress it" card to get rid of the concept of "roboticization" where Eggman turned furries into robot slaves. There is literally a comic where the aliens just loving, off panel, take everyone who was subject to that process into space, turn them back to normal, and render them all immune to it. No explanation. Just "gently caress it, aliens solved everything".

Also, that "love interest" is about seven years old than Tails, and he is in love with her entirely because of his miniseries like fifteen years ago or so. He falls in love with her in the miniseries, but it turns out, GASP! she's an evil robot all along! Then they retcon it that said robot is based on a real girl, and then she shows up, only since she's not a robot she aged and the robot was based on a younger version of her, and blah blah blah blah blah

There was a long, long, LONG time where the comic was just one of the worst written things ever. The current writer also does the Mega Man comic, and he's done good things with the Sonic comic, but he's STILL wading through all that old poo poo and trying to force it to make sense. The first two arcs he did were literally JUST clean up from everything else about the loving comic up until then.

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Ian Flynn actually has an SA account(ElPottoGrande) and spoke a lot about how ridiculous the comics were for a long time(and why), as well as SEGA's relationship with the comics and what he has to go through to write it in CyberShell's Sonic LP Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2888872&userid=80331

You need archives to read it, but it's still pretty interesting.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Goddamn Sonic comics. I collected every issue from number one, every miniseries, every 48-page special, up until sometime in the #60s or so (it lost a lot of steam after Endgame). I sold them all when I was in school and hard up for cash, and I still beat myself up over it, especially because the TPBs are all lovely and small. Some of Pat Spaz's cover art was really impressive stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Macaluso posted:

Regarding Archie, isn't the person who does that horrible Menage a 3 comic now an actual artist for the covers?

Gisele "Giz" Lagace. Yeah. She does interiors for them from time to time; I remember seeing a credits page for a relatively recent issue of some Archie book and she was the artist. I want to say it was a Kevin Keller thing.

• Locked thread