Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh my god this looks amazing. I don't care that zombies are old hat; I am all over this

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/preview-afterlife-with-archie-1/1100-146972/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake_in_a_box
Aug 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING AN LP SUPERSTAR
Say what you will about the Sonic comic, there manages to be some golden panels on occasion.

I stopped reading around 200 and I kinda wanna pick it up again for the Megaman crossover. I've only heard good things about it. Do we have any clue when those character redesigns are going in? I kinda like them.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Argue posted:

Oh my god this looks amazing. I don't care that zombies are old hat; I am all over this

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/preview-afterlife-with-archie-1/1100-146972/

It's amazing how a franchise that most people probably think of as very square and old-fashioned is willing to go so completely off the wall with its own universe.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

tvb posted:

It's amazing how a franchise that most people probably think of as very square and old-fashioned is willing to go so completely off the wall with its own universe.

After reading Life with Archie, I'm glad they take chances. It's good stuff. I'd say they're doing well with the theme of Archie being a small town in America, now in modern times facing challenges.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So, with the reveal of time-space tomfoolery following the Mega Man/Sonic crossover, I haven't the foggiest idea what direction the Sonic comics are going in. I've never looked forward to getting an issue like this before. I get the feeling it's going to be a delight to read through however many issues of hard retcons. :allears:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Did something new and Crisis-like happen? I picked up the crossover because I love crossovers but I'm not really inclined to keep following the regular series.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Argue posted:

Did something new and Crisis-like happen? I picked up the crossover because I love crossovers but I'm not really inclined to keep following the regular series.

Yes, but unlike most Crisii this is for the best.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Snake_in_a_box posted:

Say what you will about the Sonic comic, there manages to be some golden panels on occasion.

I stopped reading around 200 and I kinda wanna pick it up again for the Megaman crossover. I've only heard good things about it. Do we have any clue when those character redesigns are going in? I kinda like them.

I desperately want to know the context for this image. She looks like she's passing out due to the crushing weight of his glare.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I desperately want to know the context for this image. She looks like she's passing out due to the crushing weight of his glare.

The full page was posted in Games a while back. Apparently raccoon-girl exploded Shadow's warp back home from Not-Australia and is too stupid to build him any other suitable transportation. Shadow's perturbation is evident.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

The full page was posted in Games a while back. Apparently raccoon-girl exploded Shadow's warp back home from Not-Australia and is too stupid to build him any other suitable transportation. Shadow's perturbation is evident.

Said Raccoon girl is also the most annoying character in the Sonic universe. Someone post the gag comic with her and the Detective dude from the Mega Man comics. That's her in a microcosm

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The dialog was this more or less.

Marine: "Yay I did something cool."
Shadow: "But you also destroyed my way home. You built a boat for tails can you make me one."
Marine: "Oh yeah I said that. But it was more like Tails built it and I supervised....

Then the Panels happened.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 26, 2013

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unlucky7 posted:

Said Raccoon girl is also the most annoying character in the Sonic universe. Someone post the gag comic with her and the Detective dude from the Mega Man comics. That's her in a microcosm

Yeah, I don't know the Sonic comics at all, but that gag comic made it pretty clear.

Raccoon Girl: :words: :words: :words:
Grizzled Detective: :stare:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

Yeah, I don't know the Sonic comics at all, but that gag comic made it pretty clear.

Raccoon Girl: :words: :words: :words:
Grizzled Detective: :stare:

She is actually from Sonic Rush Adventure. Every cutscene she is in, about 50% of it is her talking.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

She is actually from Sonic Rush Adventure. Every cutscene she is in, about 50% of it is her talking.

And 100% of it is in annoying over-the-top Australian with "crikey"s and poo poo thrown around all the time. I remember there was a half-finished LP of it and people kept popping into the thread to say "no one talks like that here!"

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/03/mega-man-x-returns-as-a-comic-book

Possibility of a MegaMan X comic series? I'm all in! :dance:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

"The back-ups serve to set the stage for a story we've got slated for Spring/Summer 2014"

Oh my god does that mean they're going to do a crossover with X is the Classic series? Awesome! :dance:

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So what's been going on in the Sonic comics? I dropped the series after the issue where the Xorda, who are intelligent alien squids that used "gene bombs" to wipe-out most of the human race on Earth but also inadvertently caused other animals to mutate into humanoids (who decided to rename Earth to Mobius), tried to use a weapon called the Quantum Dial to destroy all life on Mobius, only for Sonic to seemingly sacrifice himself to stop it (when he was in reality somehow transported light years away to somewhere in outer space). Did they ever decide to stop trying to out-crazy DC and Marvel?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hexmage-SA posted:

So what's been going on in the Sonic comics? I dropped the series after the issue where the Xorda, who are intelligent alien squids that used "gene bombs" to wipe-out most of the human race on Earth but also inadvertently caused other animals to mutate into humanoids (who decided to rename Earth to Mobius), tried to use a weapon called the Quantum Dial to destroy all life on Mobius, only for Sonic to seemingly sacrifice himself to stop it (when he was in reality somehow transported light years away to somewhere in outer space). Did they ever decide to stop trying to out-crazy DC and Marvel?

It trundled along with a story arc where Sonic has to travel back to Mobius through deep space, another story arc where Sonic returns to Mobius a year after he left, a story arc where Tails fuses with every other Tails from every other reality to form Titan Tails to fight Mammoth Mogul (this is one of the worst things that has ever appeared in a comic book), then Ian Flynn took over as main writer in #160. Recently, there's been a crossover with Flynn's Mega Man comic, which has resulted in a big continuity reset to compensate for the outcome of proceedings against Archie initiated by Christian Weston Claremont Ken Penders over the ownership of his ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT STEAL echidna characters, which he wants to use in a creator-owned series despite them being massively derivative of characters owned wholecloth by Sega.

That's the simplified version.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Metal Loaf posted:

It trundled along with a story arc where Sonic has to travel back to Mobius through deep space, another story arc where Sonic returns to Mobius a year after he left, a story arc where Tails fuses with every other Tails from every other reality to form Titan Tails to fight Mammoth Mogul (this is one of the worst things that has ever appeared in a comic book), then Ian Flynn took over as main writer in #160. Recently, there's been a crossover with Flynn's Mega Man comic, which has resulted in a big continuity reset to compensate for the outcome of proceedings against Archie initiated by Christian Weston Claremont Ken Penders over the ownership of his ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT STEAL echidna characters, which he wants to use in a creator-owned series despite them being massively derivative of characters owned wholecloth by Sega.

So the book has picked up since Flynn took over?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Massively. Flynn is not without his flaws, and quite a few of them to boot. However, the book is much better since he's taken over, and world building actually means something now beyond "and now here's THESE echidnas!"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Really excited for this week; they put out a lettered preview of Afterlife With Archie. And the review here basically left me :stare:

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 8, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, that preview has me sold already. drat.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah adding zombies to things is beyond played out now but the creative team and that preview means I'll give it at least one shot.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
My shop got the local variant covers (zombie juggie going to the comic store), and I didn't check the regular versions, but the cover printing itself is badass; it's a dull finish on a lightly textured paper, so the dark colors are VERY dark and striking, and the book just feels kind of grody and gritty in your hands as you read it, excellent way to complement the art.

As a big Archie reader when I was a kid, the setup feels just like a regular archie story too, like Sabrina could have just as easily have accidentally zapped jughead to have a gorilla head for Halloween instead of making him hunger for flesh, so it's actually kind of a trip when it becomes the latter. I also like how they cut out the bullshit and get right into the story. That preview page where jughead shows up on Sabrina's porch? First page of the book.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, Afterlife with Archie is definitely worth a look.

What I really like is how even though there's blood, the fact that it's still an Archie comic holds back from showing outright gore. The only biting we see is Zombie Hotdog biting Jughead's arm. It makes it that much more tense in the end.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I just picked it up and thought it was quite good. I only found out now that it's an ongoing rather than a limited series, so I can see how some people might drop out after the novelty wears off, since the zombie fare is standard so far.

For people like me who grew up on Archie and read it religiously for years, though, the comic is pretty amazing. It's pretty much a love letter to Archie in the same way Life With Archie is. While it matures the characters from their 50s archietypes, it treats them with respect, and makes them more realistic without having them do anything weirdly out of character. Since the mass panic hasn't started yet, I don't have a lot to go on, but from what I've seen, everyone is mostly true to their characters, acting exactly how I'd expect them to act. There's a lot of references to horror movies, but just as many to classic Archie comics, which is always a plus for me (does anyone even remember Carson's Creek from when Bob Bolling used to write Archie?).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Well I've never read an Archie book before but I really enjoyed it. It felt very much like Paranorman in that it managed to be packed full of horror film references without ever being too adult for a "kids book". I'm interested to see how far it manages to "push things" especially since they've already reached the "infection at party" phase.

Also it's the first book in a while where I've felt that the colouring has really fitted Franco's art.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Metal Loaf posted:

They actually did a pretty admirable job of retconning the shitpile Penders left behind into something that wasn't total poo poo, but I think the continuity reset is probably the way to go.

What did happen with that Penders poo poo, anyway? I'm sort of surprised that even went anywhere...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dr. Buttass posted:

They actually did a pretty admirable job of retconning the shitpile Penders left behind into something that wasn't total poo poo, but I think the continuity reset is probably the way to go.

What did happen with that Penders poo poo, anyway? I'm sort of surprised that even went anywhere...

Archie were idiots who somehow lost his contract (although they had a photocopy but that wasn't enough for the court), Penders sued claiming that he wasn't on work-for-hire and trying to reclaim his characters (apparently so he could make the 'Lara-Su chronicles' because apparently he thinks people will buy the adventures of ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL), as well as a prelude to suing Sega/Bioware for ripping off his Dark Legion in Sonic Chronicles. Archie settled out of court, and we have no idea what the nature of it was, but they seem to be removing most if not all of Penders' work.

If and when Penders' Sega lawsuit falls flat on its face (because really, considering the games are the frigging source material for the comics, 'a whole bunch of evil echidnas' is not really that revolutionary-anyone got that picture of Knuckles and all the other echidnas that are the same pose copy and pasted and slightly altered), Sega should let Archie use the Dark brotherhood as a new antagonist. Hell, the fact the Penders Echidnas conga-lined into another dimension provides a sly link to penders' work to them, just have time move differently there to explain the change in their society.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Buttass posted:

In fairness to Penders, I think there some irregularities in his contracts with Archie which gave him reasonable grounds for bringing the case. When it went to trial, Archie also messed up by failing to bring in Sega straight away to try and prove that the characters were derivative (I don't really know much about copyright law in America, but that's something I've seen suggested here and there). I'm not sure what Penders plans to do with the characters, because they are basically Sonic recolours and I suspect they'll be recognised as such.

Now, the Sonic creators who have a more reasonable grievance (at least on the face of it) were the writers and artists for the UK publication Sonic the Comic. It had an anthology format comparable to the like of 2000 AD or kids' comics like The Beano, and as it approached the end of its run, the powers that be opted to phase out the back-up strips until there was only one original story in each issue alongside three or four reprints, then (after the end of the Sonic Adventure adaptation) it went full reprint for about fifty issues before it was cancelled. Through this, the writers and artists weren't paid for the use of their work in reprints.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Ther character in the lower right corner is property of SEGA, the rest are ORIGINAL CHARACTERS that Ken Penders created. Ken Penders still claims he created Evil Sonic (Sonic but with a leather jacket, and bad) but the court said "No, that's stupid. You're stupid. Get out."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Ther character in the lower right corner is property of SEGA, the rest are ORIGINAL CHARACTERS that Ken Penders created. Ken Penders still claims he created Evil Sonic (Sonic but with a leather jacket, and bad) but the court said "No, that's stupid. You're stupid. Get out."

I love the thread that picture emerged from :allears: it even had Ian and Dubs show up for it, which definitely made for an interesting ride.

I also love the little reference Dub gave back to it as a sign it really was him.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2013

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Genius.

There's another one where it's literally all the Echidnas in exactly the same goddamn pose. I wish I could find it. I would try google, but really that opens the floodgates to all the...fanart. Ugh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, this is pretty much originalcharacterdonotsteal.jpg, isn't it?

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's another one where it's literally all the Echidnas in exactly the same goddamn pose. I wish I could find it. I would try google, but really that opens the floodgates to all the...fanart. Ugh.

Might be on the A Moment Of Archie Sonic tumblr?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Yvonmukluk posted:

Genius.

Metal Loaf posted:

Might be on the A Moment Of Archie Sonic tumblr?

Found it!

Along with a few other gems. Like some precedent for Knuckles' design in the new cartoon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Afterlife with Archie #2 has the best cliffhanger image.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd be buying an Archie comic, writing them off as the hokiest of the hokey, but here I am, reading about motherfucking undead Jughead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

I never thought I'd be buying an Archie comic, writing them off as the hokiest of the hokey, but here I am, reading about motherfucking undead Jughead.

He's not undead. He just... He just took a bad batch of steroids is all. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I especially liked how, after countless zombie stories where everyone acts surprised/uncomprehending and amazed at the carnage and collapse unfolding around them, here we immediately had a couple of guys basically go "yeah, this is exactly what it looks like".

And yes, dat final page is brilliant.

• Locked thread