Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I just thought it should be pointed out to those interested that something worth reading has suddenly happened over in the thread for Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood over in the LP subforum...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Issue 3 and I am still blown away how good and scarily brutal a book about Archie and zombies continues to be.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
No kidding. I think the reason it strikes such a chord with me is that having grown up on Archie comics, I've had years to care about the characters, instead of just a few issues. It also helps give tension knowing that even counting the obscure ones, there's still only a finite number of characters that they can have in the comic.

The letters section says that we may be seeing other supernatural things happening, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle that. I trust that they can keep it grounded even if they introduce some of the more far-out characters.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I really liked the first two issues of Afterlife with Archie and as someone who has never read an Archie comic (but I know the gist of it, like I imagine anyone else who is familiar with pop-culture) I gotta ask, are the incestuous sibling really from the comics (I know the incest thing is probably (hopefully) mostly an injoke, like the lesbian couple not coming out because even if Kevin Keller did came out as gay, he's white so it's different) and if there is a sort of index of the characters that appear on the issues, since I would like to read a small summary or something like that, in order to understand the different personalities/conflicts.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Jason and Cheryl Blossom were a pair of rich kids from Pembrooke Academy who often came to Riverdale to make trouble. Cheryl moved to Riverdale for a while and was a third love interest for Archie. In the mainstream comics, they were never incestuous, but since the role they fulfilled was pretty much a wholesome version of Ryan Philippe/Sarah Michelle Gellar in Cruel Intentions, you could see why they went in that direction.

Nancy and Ginger (the latter was introduced long after I'd stopped reading) were never really well-developed. Nancy was often just "Chuck Clayton's love interest". There isn't really any precedent for the relationship, so you aren't missing anything.

Mayor Martinez is unfamiliar to me, so she's probably new. Vegas is Archie's new dog, who was introduced only last year.

And while we're at it...

Swedlow Swamp was a swamp from the Archie cartoon, while Carson's Creek is a really old location from when Bob Bolling used to write more serious-ish Archie stories. I don't remember if it was haunted, but Bolling did like ghosts, so maybe.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Figured I'd drop by here and throw this out in case anyone is interested. My bud Gareth runs a site and he interviews people who work on the Sonic series from time to time. Soon he'll be interviewing Tracy Yardley, who has done great art for the Sonic series in addition to the Mega Man series. I'm not too certain that he gets interviewed all that often, so I thought some Goons might have some questions I could pass along that he might be able to ask Tracy. This will eventually wind up in a podcast called "The Super Power Flower Hour", which generally has a very casual tone. He's previously interviewed Ian Flynn which was actually a pretty good listen.

So basically if you have any questions to ask Tracy that aren't "Is there a dartboard at Archie with Pender's face on it?" I could pass them to my friend and get back to you on the answer if asked. We're really looking to get some good questions from fans of his work that go beyond "How did you get your start/what's your favorite character to draw/etc." Gareth and I are also planning on something to benefit Tracy (if you've read Tracy's DeviantART journals you can probably figure it out) but we're still nailing down some specifics.

I really hope this post doesn't seem like an ad but I don't know of many places with Archie Sonic/Megaman fans that aren't, well. You know.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Whose idea was the Sonic/Mega crossover anyway? It's not a bad idea at all, but I can't help wondering who proposed it.

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005
I write children's stories about talking, colorful animals.

Takoluka posted:

Whose idea was the Sonic/Mega crossover anyway? It's not a bad idea at all, but I can't help wondering who proposed it.
Believe it or not - it was Capcom who got the ball rolling. SEGA was cool with it with no hassle, so we just went to town with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElPottoGrande posted:

Believe it or not - it was Capcom who got the ball rolling. SEGA was cool with it with no hassle, so we just went to town with it.

Is it true that Nigel Kitching offered to let you use the Brotherhood of Metallix in Archie Sonic?

What do you guys think of STC? Obviously it's a very different format, but have you ever found its direction has influenced your own approach?

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

Is it true that Nigel Kitching offered to let you use the Brotherhood of Metallix in Archie Sonic?

What do you guys think of STC? Obviously it's a very different format, but have you ever found its direction has influenced your own approach?

He did! It was Summer of Sonic... 2010, I think? Very nice man. And while I'm honored by the offer, the legal mess involved would never let it happen. I'm pretty sure that under UK copyright law, Mr. Kitching owns the Brotherhood of Metallix, but here in the US, I've got no say over the ownership and the legal side of things.

I can't speak for the entirety of the development team, but as for me, I wasn't a huge fan. STC did some neat stuff, sure. And some of the interior art is absolutely gorgeous. I'm not saying STC was bad or inferior, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
As someone who enjoyed both Sonic comics I'd buy the poo poo out of a crossover or just straight up re-imagining of the Metallix, I figure it would've be a a bit of a dodgy legal swamp so i can understand why not to do it.

HOWEVER, if you are ever, ever, EVER offered Captain Plunder, you put him in the comic. Put him in immediately. I will buy every copy in London!

For the uninitiated (which is sadly practically everyone ever...) Plunder is a pirate with a sky ship and has a first mate who he personally shot dead and is now a ghost who says it was his own fault for getting shot as he shouldn't have taken the last biscuit in the tin.

Agent_grey fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 22, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ElPottoGrande posted:

I can't speak for the entirety of the development team, but as for me, I wasn't a huge fan. STC did some neat stuff, sure. And some of the interior art is absolutely gorgeous. I'm not saying STC was bad or inferior, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

This talk of Sonic the Comic makes me want to see an Archie-published Eternal Champions. Kids today need to be able to read about Larcen Tyler.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Given that capcom came up with the idea of a crossover, is capcom actively involved with the creation of this comic? I was under the impression that Sega was pretty hands off with the sonic comic.

Also I'm excited as hell for megaman x showing up, that was my favorite franchise for the snes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

This talk of Sonic the Comic makes me want to see an Archie-published Eternal Champions. Kids today need to be able to read about Larcen Tyler.

I believe Eternal Champions was actually one of the most popular non-Sonic strips, so much so that it had a poster mag and a summer special.

The latter was hilarious because in its character profiles, it went to great lengths to explain how each of their greatest fears was linked to how they died. In most cases, it was reasonable enough (Shadow died when she was thrown from a skyscraper, so she had a fear of heights; Larcen was killed by a bomb so he had a fear of explosions; Xavier was burned at the stake so he had a fear of fire), but then you got Trident, who was crushed to death by a pillar, so he got "has an unusual fear of pillars".

I also remember how it mentioned that Larcen was blown up on the orders of his boss, Mr Tagliani, which translated into "Larcen also has a particularly strong dislike of tagliatelle".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Man, I don't know how I ever missed out on all the EC merchandise. They even had weird choose-your-own-adventures books iirc. I only recently learned the lore for what happens post game CD version. Stuff like how there's like a good half dozen characters working together and surviving, and how a few of them got their freak on together.

Tell me the comics included profiles for the secret characters. No, the other secret characters...

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Given that capcom came up with the idea of a crossover, is capcom actively involved with the creation of this comic? I was under the impression that Sega was pretty hands off with the sonic comic.

Also I'm excited as hell for megaman x showing up, that was my favorite franchise for the snes.

Oh-ho-ho no sir. They approve every level of production. Of the two, I'd say Capcom has let me be more liberal with the source material, but both of them give us a tremendous amount of creative freedom when you get down to it. I don't get to do everything I want, but then again, these aren't my properties, now are they?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ElPottoGrande posted:

Oh-ho-ho no sir. They approve every level of production. Of the two, I'd say Capcom has let me be more liberal with the source material, but both of them give us a tremendous amount of creative freedom when you get down to it. I don't get to do everything I want, but then again, these aren't my properties, now are they?

This has me interested in the sense of 'what have they ever objected to?'.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bloodly posted:

This has me interested in the sense of 'what have they ever objected to?'.

That seems like the sort of thing he might not be able to talk about, but I'm sure it would be interesting to hear.

I imagine a lot of it is minor stuff like Sega insisting Sonic say 'Cool' instead of 'Neato' on page X of issue Y.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

One example from the first issue of Ian's run: concerning Sonic's age, he was supposed to state "Let's call me sixteen 'til forever" or something like that. Sega had it changed to "Let's call me a teen 'til forever".

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005

Kurui Reiten posted:

One example from the first issue of Ian's run: concerning Sonic's age, he was supposed to state "Let's call me sixteen 'til forever" or something like that. Sega had it changed to "Let's call me a teen 'til forever".

Silly me, referencing his official bio, right?

While I could go on at length, I worry it might come across as complaining, and that's not a smart thing to do for a man in my position. It's just the nature of the biz - their property, their rules. Sometimes they're clarifying. Sometimes they make us invent something new that comes out better than what we'd originally planned.

I guess one harmless example: in Sonic Universe #1, Shadow gets booted into the ocean by Metal Sonic. He flails around a bit until he's rescued by Blaze and Marine aboard the Ocean Tornado. The note I got back from SEGA was that Shadow shouldn't struggle in the water - he's an excellent swimmer. And I'm like: "Well, come to think of it, I don't think we've ever seen in him a water-level, and he is the "Ultimate Lifeform," so alright. Mea culpa."

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

ElPottoGrande posted:

Silly me, referencing his official bio, right?

While I could go on at length, I worry it might come across as complaining, and that's not a smart thing to do for a man in my position. It's just the nature of the biz - their property, their rules. Sometimes they're clarifying. Sometimes they make us invent something new that comes out better than what we'd originally planned.

I guess one harmless example: in Sonic Universe #1, Shadow gets booted into the ocean by Metal Sonic. He flails around a bit until he's rescued by Blaze and Marine aboard the Ocean Tornado. The note I got back from SEGA was that Shadow shouldn't struggle in the water - he's an excellent swimmer. And I'm like: "Well, come to think of it, I don't think we've ever seen in him a water-level, and he is the "Ultimate Lifeform," so alright. Mea culpa."

I wonder if that was incorporated into the Olympics games in any way. I haven't played an entry since the first one a few years back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Choco1980 posted:

Man, I don't know how I ever missed out on all the EC merchandise. They even had weird choose-your-own-adventures books iirc. I only recently learned the lore for what happens post game CD version. Stuff like how there's like a good half dozen characters working together and surviving, and how a few of them got their freak on together.

Tell me the comics included profiles for the secret characters. No, the other secret characters...

The Eternal Champions comic came out around the time of the first game, so sadly, there was no Senator or owl for the writers to play around with.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MykonosFan posted:

I wonder if that was incorporated into the Olympics games in any way. I haven't played an entry since the first one a few years back.

IIRC from what I've heard, Sega was very strict about their characters' strengths and weaknesses, so I'm sure so. I do recall that for the water games, Sonic had to use water wings :3:

Gavok posted:

The Eternal Champions comic came out around the time of the first game, so sadly, there was no Senator or owl for the writers to play around with.

That's a shame. The owl, surprisingly, is part of the official lore for post-CD ending, as well as Thanatos, the grim reaper character. I always wished Sega had kept the promise from the box of the Saturn and made a third game. I'm assuming they lost interest in the franchise after X-Terminators did so badly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of STC has there been any thoughts on getting even just the main Sonic stories from Edgemont/Fleetway and compiling them Legacy style?

Also, I remember that Megaman X stories were largely dependent on the success of the comic so is it safe to say we've made it as far as MM is concenred?

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also, I remember that Megaman X stories were largely dependent on the success of the comic so is it safe to say we've made it as far as MM is concenred?
Depends on what you mean by "made it." If you mean "has reached a point where it's selling well," then yeah, we're there. The Sonic/Mega Man crossover did it's job. If you mean "forever free of worries about cancellation" - that'll be never. It's a licensed book for one thing, and it's for an old property that isn't getting support outside of the comics. That's thin ice to be on, even with good sales.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElPottoGrande posted:

Depends on what you mean by "made it." If you mean "has reached a point where it's selling well," then yeah, we're there. The Sonic/Mega Man crossover did it's job. If you mean "forever free of worries about cancellation" - that'll be never. It's a licensed book for one thing, and it's for an old property that isn't getting support outside of the comics. That's thin ice to be on, even with good sales.

Do you feel less constrained with Mega Man? I mean, obviously Capcom has rules it will lay down about what you can and cannot do, just the same as Sega, but compared to Sonic it seems to me as though you'd have had more latitude for what you want to do with the series, seeing as you don't have to account for about twenty years worth of existing comics already.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Sonic, how pissed are you now that Sega went and redesigned the central characters right after the soft reboot when that would've been the prime chance (for you guys on the comics side) to introduce redesigned characters like you did with the entire rest of the cast? Also I wish you luck on your storyarc about Knuckles' struggle with steroid abuse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Speaking of Sonic, how pissed are you now that Sega went and redesigned the central characters right after the soft reboot when that would've been the prime chance (for you guys on the comics side) to introduce redesigned characters like you did with the entire rest of the cast? Also I wish you luck on your storyarc about Knuckles' struggle with steroid abuse.

I don't really think he's at liberty to say.

But that really was some unfortunate timing.

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

Do you feel less constrained with Mega Man? I mean, obviously Capcom has rules it will lay down about what you can and cannot do, just the same as Sega, but compared to Sonic it seems to me as though you'd have had more latitude for what you want to do with the series, seeing as you don't have to account for about twenty years worth of existing comics already.
So far, I've been very pleasantly surprised with how much freedom Capcom has given me. I think the only two notes I got were:
ME: "Hey! In the time-jumpy homage story, "Rock of Ages," I want to show the Dimensions for Rockman & Forte 2!"
CAPCOM: "No, there's a rights issue there. Don't use them."

-and later-

ME: "It doesn't look like Dr. Cain has a given name. Can we give him one?"
CAPCOM: "Eh... keep it Dr. Cain."

So, y'know, nothing remotely heart-breaking of off-putting.

TwoPair posted:

Not at all. The comics are based of the mainline Sonic, and "Sonic Boom" is - so far - a Western-specific sub-brand of the franchise. If "Sonic Boom" takes off and becomes the new standard and we have to change, well, them's the breaks. I dunno if I'll ever get used to the blue arms, tho'. After all these years, it's just... wrong.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The joints. It's the joints that gets me. He's always been sort of noodly and having defined joints is weird now.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
What's your opinion of Command Mission? The game gets a lot of flak, but I think some of the party members are cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElPottoGrande posted:

I dunno if I'll ever get used to the blue arms, tho'. After all these years, it's just... wrong.

Huh. Didn't even notice that. I guess I was too distracted by Knuck Hogan.

It's kinda like how Richard Elson used to draw Sonic with flesh-coloured eyelids for ages then changed them to blue; not something you notice straight away, but once you do it sticks out at you.

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005

AHungryRobot posted:

What's your opinion of Command Mission? The game gets a lot of flak, but I think some of the party members are cool.
I really need to go through it again, but I like it. Sure, it's got it's problems, but overall I think it's an excellent effort. To bring it on topic: "Sonic Chronicles" feels like a weird Bioware RPG with Sonic added to it. "Command Mission" feels like a MMX RPG. One feels like an attempt to apply a genre to a license, the other feels like a natural extension.

Metal Loaf posted:

Huh. Didn't even notice that. I guess I was too distracted by Knuck Hogan.

It's kinda like how Richard Elson used to draw Sonic with flesh-coloured eyelids for ages then changed them to blue; not something you notice straight away, but once you do it sticks out at you.
The fleshy eyelids started out in the Genesis era and lasted through Sonic Adventure. Then, starting with Sonic Adventure 2 (I think), they started coloring them blue (pink in Amy's case) and retroactively applied it where they could (see: Sonic Adventure DX)

...I can get away knowing this kind of poo poo because it's my job.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Looks like Archie is doing more crazy-cool stuff--Aguirre-Sacasa's been promoted to COO, and his first act as COO appears to have been getting his friend, Lena Dunham, to write for Archie. Well drat.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I am down with whatever crazy stuff Aguirre-Sacasa wants to do. Afterlife with Archie just continues to be great while still constantly having a feeling of "this really shouldn't exist". Like last weeks issue was easily one of the best small encapsulation of zombie horror in years while still being an Archie book that's attempting to push just how far it can go.

If you told me six months ago that one of the best books around would include Archie beating his father to death with a baseball bat I would have laughed it off as Deviant art levels of crazy fan fiction.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man I was looking at the effects of the Penders thing and lots of characters got the boot. Most I don't care about or never heard of, but some of them I liked and were rather cool. That entire thing was kind of a shame.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Waterhaul posted:

I am down with whatever crazy stuff Aguirre-Sacasa wants to do. Afterlife with Archie just continues to be great while still constantly having a feeling of "this really shouldn't exist". Like last weeks issue was easily one of the best small encapsulation of zombie horror in years while still being an Archie book that's attempting to push just how far it can go.

If you told me six months ago that one of the best books around would include Archie beating his father to death with a baseball bat I would have laughed it off as Deviant art levels of crazy fan fiction.

The premise and setup feel like bad fanfiction but it's really cool how much thought was put into what these characters would do in a zombie apocalypse. I'm also loving how things that were running jokes in the main series are shown in a whole new context in this title. Archie's jalopy was the butt of a lot of jokes in the strips but it's his saving grace in Afterlife.

I think the best part about Afterlife is how it shows the characters' personalities without the innocent, sitcom feel Archie comics are known for. Before the zombies even attack, Archie clearly shows how uncomfortable he is with his situation between Betty and Veronica and tells Reggie he's a fratboy prick to his face but in a matter-of-fact tone that I've never seen in the books.

Is Life with Archie kind of like that? An Archie title that takes itself a little more seriously?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Afterlife's writing is a lot better than Life With Archie's. The latter is still more grown-up and serious than mainstream Archie--they deal with real issues like death, cancer, the recession, etc--but, for better or worse, it also feels a lot like a soap opera, so once the (cool/bonkers) plot from the first 18 issues got resolved, it was hard for me to maintain my interest. Sometimes they'll still do something interesting, though; as I recall, Life With Archie had the first gay marriage in mainstream comics, amazingly enough, beating Marvel and DC to the punch.

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm also loving how things that were running jokes in the main series are shown in a whole new context in this title. Archie's jalopy was the butt of a lot of jokes in the strips but it's his saving grace in Afterlife.

I was ready to sperg about Vegas being Archie's dog since he was a kid, since he only adopted Vegas as a teenager, in a comic from last year--but I was pleased to see on the very next page that they hadn't forgotten Archie's actual childhood dog, Spotty.

I'm still curious to see if they'll factor in that only Jughead knows Sabrina's secret, or if they'll just treat Sabrina knowing magic as something everyone is aware of. Also, whether or not they factor in that Archie and Valerie from the Pussycats are dating.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I was at a Books A Million and found this Archie: the Adult Years collection. It's the third volume and switches between alternate futures where Archie marries Betty or Veronica. Didn't get it because I didn't wanna start in the middle but is it worth reading? The book mentions Reggie committing embezzlement and Moose running for mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It started off interesting; apart from all the adult issues they faced, there was this whole nutty subplot about Dilton travelling back and forth between the two dimensions to prevent a multiversal collapse. After that subplot got resolved... well, there's not really a decline in quality or anything, but the writing wasn't really amazing to begin with--as I mentioned above, it reads a lot more like a soap opera, so if that thought appeals to you, then sure, give it a go.

My biggest complaint is that it's introduced so many characters that I don't care about on account of them having been introduced for the purpose of that series itself, as opposed to using existing Archie characters--the latter being kind of the reason anyone would want to read it. On the other hand, there's some historic value to the series in that this whole thing is a first for Archie, and there's some novelty in that. (And incidentally, I believe it's also the series that beat Marvel and DC to depicting gay marriage in a comic book.)

I'm still reading it, but only because I already know that it's ending soon (major major spoiler) with issue 37 or 38, where Archie DIES.

• Locked thread