Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I followed Sonic for a while as a kid and now find the early evolution from PUN COMIX™ to Dark-N-Brooding particularly fascinating. I've been meaning to dig out my back issues to see if I can pinpoint just where it went off the edge. I want to say probably with the EVE issue where Robotnik's brand new evolving nano-bot develops sentience, concludes he's a dick, and zorches him before flying off into space to explore its newfound humanity or something
I haven't followed the news much, so whatever you say about Spaz is probably right, but I'll say one thing: I've always really liked his Robotnik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
My shop got the local variant covers (zombie juggie going to the comic store), and I didn't check the regular versions, but the cover printing itself is badass; it's a dull finish on a lightly textured paper, so the dark colors are VERY dark and striking, and the book just feels kind of grody and gritty in your hands as you read it, excellent way to complement the art.

As a big Archie reader when I was a kid, the setup feels just like a regular archie story too, like Sabrina could have just as easily have accidentally zapped jughead to have a gorilla head for Halloween instead of making him hunger for flesh, so it's actually kind of a trip when it becomes the latter. I also like how they cut out the bullshit and get right into the story. That preview page where jughead shows up on Sabrina's porch? First page of the book.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Cool thread so far, I read a ton of Archie and Sonic when I was younger. Pretty impressed with Sonic's upturn in particular these days, Tracey Yardley's art is pretty fun.

I'm actually trying to dig up a particular Archie story that I remember liking and wanted to see again, and was hoping someone here had heard of it: It involves the usual gang of idiots wrecking Mr Lodge's boat in a storm, but takes a goofy turn as everyone wades ashore in period garb, planting a flag and claiming their island "for her majesty." The rest of the story has a bunch of relatively outlandish (by archie standards) one-panel visual gags like this, the other one I remember is Veronica harping at the guys who are drawn as basically giant heads, stacked up like a totem pole for some reason. I don't recall which digest I read this in, or the writer or artist, unfortunately.

Anyone have any ideas? Not sure where else would be a good spot to ask. Maybe I should just write in.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Archie vs Predator is on stands today and holy poo poo it is incredible and bonkers in the best way. The writing seems to be going for a goofy kind of tongue-in-cheek b-movie horror vibe and integrates it absolutely flawlessly with the Archie ascetic. Jokes bounce back and forth between "jughead is hungry" and insane camp like dilton weeping in depraved tongue-lolling ecstasy as he caresses his precious telescope and whispers sweet nothings while fixing it on the stars. Betty and Veronica wish upon a star to win the summer beach fashion show, Cheryl Blossom to (direct quote) destroy the proletariat.
We are seeing a "standard" modern Archie look for the characters, but there's a lot of interesting and dynamic variation in panel layouts that I'm not used to seeing, and the comfortable style of the character art really highlights the backgrounds, which are actually quite good.

Please buy this book :)

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 16, 2015

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I think her powers got taken away or didn't work in the dimension she met Sonic in too

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
How much for the rights to Ronald the Rubber Boy

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
For anyone who might be interested, Comixology has 50% off all Archie through Sunday, including the horror, sonic/megaman, and superhero lines. Coupon code ARCHIE

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm talking about the same people that bitch and moan any time there is any kind of sex or sex-related situations on a TV show.

We all already know that people are just fine with violence on TV.

As I recall they already all jumped ship with a shake of the fist back when Kevin got a series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
With this, the last obstacle has been removed for Sonic to finally meet Batman

• Locked thread