Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oh, the Echidna stuff has been around since Sonic 3, yeah. Problem is, Penders really really liked the idea of his version of the race being a nature vs. technology thing, and he made up this entirely separate group of them called the Dark Legion. They were basically techno sith lords with cloaks and poo poo, and lived in/were exiled to a separate zone, and were all techy and lasery and poo poo.

Basically Penders pulled a bunch of poo poo out of his rear end, and made one of your standard super-cliche sci-fi races. When Bioware was starting Chronicles, Sega more or less handed Bioware some of the Knuckles comics for ideas since the comic is, by far, the most story heavy portion of the franchise (for better or, much more often, worse). This was pretty much fine, because it's hard to say Sega doesn't own Knuckles-only-with-a-cloak on, which is what every loving member of that group looked like (Penders was not terribly creative, you see). Only, apparently, copyright law is a little hosed and Archie somehow did not have a fully ironclad work-for-hire contract with Penders, and it all went pear shaped when he tried to milk them for all they're worth.

See, one important thing to know, is that Penders is not a very successful artist or writer overall. He's also got an ego the size of Jupiter. He's done some Star Trek comics, and he has a creator-owned series called "The Lost Ones" which he has been shopping around in Hollywood with no success. He's also tried multiple times to make a Sonic theatrical movie; only based on the Saturday morning TV show from like twenty loving years ago. Overall, the Sonic comics were, by far, his most successful project, and even there he's generally regarded as a massive douchebag. He has a well earned reputation for always having to have things his way, including ignoring everything the other writer was doing while it was happening.

He thinks he owns loving "Evil Sonic", who is, quite literally, Sonic-with-a-leather-jacket-and-sunglasses-from-a-mirror-universe. It would be like the writer of one of the mirror universe episodes of Star Trek trying to say they own Spock-with-a-goatee.

He's like CWC, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It seriously is. Oh, there's more, though! Those aliens were also the writers' "gently caress it" card to get rid of the concept of "roboticization" where Eggman turned furries into robot slaves. There is literally a comic where the aliens just loving, off panel, take everyone who was subject to that process into space, turn them back to normal, and render them all immune to it. No explanation. Just "gently caress it, aliens solved everything".

Also, that "love interest" is about seven years old than Tails, and he is in love with her entirely because of his miniseries like fifteen years ago or so. He falls in love with her in the miniseries, but it turns out, GASP! she's an evil robot all along! Then they retcon it that said robot is based on a real girl, and then she shows up, only since she's not a robot she aged and the robot was based on a younger version of her, and blah blah blah blah blah

There was a long, long, LONG time where the comic was just one of the worst written things ever. The current writer also does the Mega Man comic, and he's done good things with the Sonic comic, but he's STILL wading through all that old poo poo and trying to force it to make sense. The first two arcs he did were literally JUST clean up from everything else about the loving comic up until then.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Massively. Flynn is not without his flaws, and quite a few of them to boot. However, the book is much better since he's taken over, and world building actually means something now beyond "and now here's THESE echidnas!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

One example from the first issue of Ian's run: concerning Sonic's age, he was supposed to state "Let's call me sixteen 'til forever" or something like that. Sega had it changed to "Let's call me a teen 'til forever".

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

"If I sue enough people, I can get control of whatever I want, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

He probably did, but Scott Fulop purchased the rights to him. Of course he was only the writer on like... 2 issues, he was an editor for many more, so maybe he's making his claim as "I came up with these characters for the writers"?

It's all dumb, it's an obvious money grab. I think his main flaw was suing Sega as well. Archie may have financial trouble and would probably suffer to get this handled. Sega on the other hand...

Issue is, Sega might be like "Look, just give him what he wants, it's not like you use those characters anyway". They already essentially rolled over for Penders because he was too much trouble, and they don't really need the comics. Archie, on the other hand, could definitely use the continued income, and having Sega shrug again and be like "oh well" could do a good amount of damage.

At least, the way I understand it.

• Locked thread