Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Ken Penders tries to publish his Original Character Do Not Steal Chronicles, isn't Sega likely to try to prevent publication on the grounds that the characters are all a bit derivative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hexmage-SA posted:

So what's been going on in the Sonic comics? I dropped the series after the issue where the Xorda, who are intelligent alien squids that used "gene bombs" to wipe-out most of the human race on Earth but also inadvertently caused other animals to mutate into humanoids (who decided to rename Earth to Mobius), tried to use a weapon called the Quantum Dial to destroy all life on Mobius, only for Sonic to seemingly sacrifice himself to stop it (when he was in reality somehow transported light years away to somewhere in outer space). Did they ever decide to stop trying to out-crazy DC and Marvel?

It trundled along with a story arc where Sonic has to travel back to Mobius through deep space, another story arc where Sonic returns to Mobius a year after he left, a story arc where Tails fuses with every other Tails from every other reality to form Titan Tails to fight Mammoth Mogul (this is one of the worst things that has ever appeared in a comic book), then Ian Flynn took over as main writer in #160. Recently, there's been a crossover with Flynn's Mega Man comic, which has resulted in a big continuity reset to compensate for the outcome of proceedings against Archie initiated by Christian Weston Claremont Ken Penders over the ownership of his ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT STEAL echidna characters, which he wants to use in a creator-owned series despite them being massively derivative of characters owned wholecloth by Sega.

That's the simplified version.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Buttass posted:

What did happen with that Penders poo poo, anyway? I'm sort of surprised that even went anywhere...

In fairness to Penders, I think there some irregularities in his contracts with Archie which gave him reasonable grounds for bringing the case. When it went to trial, Archie also messed up by failing to bring in Sega straight away to try and prove that the characters were derivative (I don't really know much about copyright law in America, but that's something I've seen suggested here and there). I'm not sure what Penders plans to do with the characters, because they are basically Sonic recolours and I suspect they'll be recognised as such.

Now, the Sonic creators who have a more reasonable grievance (at least on the face of it) were the writers and artists for the UK publication Sonic the Comic. It had an anthology format comparable to the like of 2000 AD or kids' comics like The Beano, and as it approached the end of its run, the powers that be opted to phase out the back-up strips until there was only one original story in each issue alongside three or four reprints, then (after the end of the Sonic Adventure adaptation) it went full reprint for about fifty issues before it was cancelled. Through this, the writers and artists weren't paid for the use of their work in reprints.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, this is pretty much originalcharacterdonotsteal.jpg, isn't it?

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's another one where it's literally all the Echidnas in exactly the same goddamn pose. I wish I could find it. I would try google, but really that opens the floodgates to all the...fanart. Ugh.

Might be on the A Moment Of Archie Sonic tumblr?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElPottoGrande posted:

Believe it or not - it was Capcom who got the ball rolling. SEGA was cool with it with no hassle, so we just went to town with it.

Is it true that Nigel Kitching offered to let you use the Brotherhood of Metallix in Archie Sonic?

What do you guys think of STC? Obviously it's a very different format, but have you ever found its direction has influenced your own approach?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

This talk of Sonic the Comic makes me want to see an Archie-published Eternal Champions. Kids today need to be able to read about Larcen Tyler.

I believe Eternal Champions was actually one of the most popular non-Sonic strips, so much so that it had a poster mag and a summer special.

The latter was hilarious because in its character profiles, it went to great lengths to explain how each of their greatest fears was linked to how they died. In most cases, it was reasonable enough (Shadow died when she was thrown from a skyscraper, so she had a fear of heights; Larcen was killed by a bomb so he had a fear of explosions; Xavier was burned at the stake so he had a fear of fire), but then you got Trident, who was crushed to death by a pillar, so he got "has an unusual fear of pillars".

I also remember how it mentioned that Larcen was blown up on the orders of his boss, Mr Tagliani, which translated into "Larcen also has a particularly strong dislike of tagliatelle".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElPottoGrande posted:

Depends on what you mean by "made it." If you mean "has reached a point where it's selling well," then yeah, we're there. The Sonic/Mega Man crossover did it's job. If you mean "forever free of worries about cancellation" - that'll be never. It's a licensed book for one thing, and it's for an old property that isn't getting support outside of the comics. That's thin ice to be on, even with good sales.

Do you feel less constrained with Mega Man? I mean, obviously Capcom has rules it will lay down about what you can and cannot do, just the same as Sega, but compared to Sonic it seems to me as though you'd have had more latitude for what you want to do with the series, seeing as you don't have to account for about twenty years worth of existing comics already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElPottoGrande posted:

I dunno if I'll ever get used to the blue arms, tho'. After all these years, it's just... wrong.

Huh. Didn't even notice that. I guess I was too distracted by Knuck Hogan.

It's kinda like how Richard Elson used to draw Sonic with flesh-coloured eyelids for ages then changed them to blue; not something you notice straight away, but once you do it sticks out at you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Weren't most of them like slightly different variations of Knuckles anyway?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ConanThe3rd posted:

What's he got to do with it?

He's filled with autistic fury over Sonic having blue arms, and he was recently arrested for macing a guy in a GameStop where he was in vandalising the Sonic Boom display.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder sometimes if Flynn's portrayal of crazy Eggman circa #200 and ruthless Eggman subsequent to that was influenced at all by suicidal/genocidal Robotnik from the end of the STC run (where Robotnik becomes depressed over his constant defeats and decides he wants to destroy the world because conquering it no longer interests him).

Probably not. I mean, I know Flynn is familiar with STC, but it was almost exclusively a British thing. Still, I cannot help but draw the comparison.

On that topic, apparently, Nigel Kitching offered to let him use the Brotherhood of Metallix in Archie Sonic but they agreed the rights issues would've made it more trouble than it was worth.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It isn't as entertaining as STC's explanation for his change from his original games appearance to his Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog design, which went something like this (in STC #21):

Then, on the first page of STC #22:

All the explanation it needs, really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yep. That happened. Brittish Comics are weird. (:scotland:) oddly enough Snively was to be STC Robotnik's assistant untill something (probably legal) fell though and Grimer become a thing.

Grimer was a more interesting character than Snively, though, so it was a win for STC.

Some of those old STCs are well ropey, but once the comic hit its stride there was a lot of really cool stuff in it.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 11, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Surprised to realise recently that Ian Flynn has been writing Sonic for nearly 10 years now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda want NiGHTS to be in it, but it probably won't happen. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, wow, I think you might be right. Good grief.

All it needs is Crash Bandicoot, Ristar and possibly Sparkster and 6-year old me will be over the moon. :v:

(Okay, one that definitely won't happen but would be all kinds of cool would be Chuck D. Head, if only because I know that Ian Flynn has read STC and thus will have read Nigel Kitching's Decap Attack strips. :D)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

It'd be lovely NuDante and he'd have to use a sniper rifle to abort Amy Rose's demon baby or something.

Without looking, I can almost guarantee there is fanfiction about this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is that why the Mega Man comic is ending?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I see. I hadn't been aware that Archie was in a bad way about money.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine Disney would be keen to have the feather in their cap.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Marvel buys them they can finally reveal that Knuckles's surname is actually "Summers".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

As I've mentioned, this is a case of literally just someone looking for a pay day. Scott Fulop has done NOTHING since working at Archie, of which he was a writer for very few issues but an editor for many more. He only founded this company a month ago, and then purchased the rights to Mammoth Mogul etc. and now using that to sue Archie. A competent Lawyer would get this thrown out for the joke it is.

I thought Michael Gallagher created Mammoth Mogul anyway?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question tangentially-related to Archie: when they had the Archies as a band in the 1960s and Josie and the Pussycats in the 1970s, why did they have Betty and Valerie (respectively) playing tambourines but neither band had a bass guitar?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The tambourine's completely indispensable, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

Sugar Sugar - The Archies actually charted with this song -- in the real world, on the actual charts.

It was actually the biggest hit single of 1969 in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scaramouche posted:

I need an edgy Richie Rich relaunch.

• Locked thread