Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

so I just redownloaded this after a few months and I would like to know what all the rewards are.
Tthe login, first and third win rewards seem to be the same, but do they still have rewards from winning online games? If so, is it mostly silver with a chance at tickets, or have they expanded that to sometimes include packs? Are there other ways of earning rewards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Machai posted:

so I just redownloaded this after a few months and I would like to know what all the rewards are.
Tthe login, first and third win rewards seem to be the same, but do they still have rewards from winning online games? If so, is it mostly silver with a chance at tickets, or have they expanded that to sometimes include packs? Are there other ways of earning rewards?

Aside from login/first/third, you get a guaranteed ticket for your first online win of the day, then 100 silver per win up to 20 (or 25, I forget). There are also lifetime achievement rewards for 10, 100, 1000, and maybe 10k+ wins, which are always a legendary chest. Not that the game client has anywhere to view those, or your progress towards them.

So really, not much new. They've changed reward amounts/contents around a bit, but what you do to get them is basically the same.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Christmas bonus if you login to SolForge today:

I got a casual draft coupon, I was kind of hoping for a complete set of legendary cards

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AxeManiac posted:

Christmas bonus if you login to SolForge today:

I got a casual draft coupon, I was kind of hoping for a complete set of legendary cards

Got the same, thanks Stoneblade...

Edit: drat the rewards for casual draft are pathetic. Why not give everyone a ticket to the holiday draft. Lame as always.

Snack Bitch fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 24, 2014

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
There are some new cards or something again, with some stuff about things.

I still play three times a day (at work) at least, that is something!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Hey, me too!

I haven't kept up with playing drafts in a long time, usually just play in the random queue. Latest kick has been a Wegu deck, which 90% of the time is stupidly unfair.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I know it probably won't be possible, but I'd like some kind of deck builder. I know you are supposed to build decks yourself and I do, but I'd like to play the AI with more decks than just what I think of. That isn't much practice battling myself. Here is to hoping they rip off that Shandalar single player concept soon.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I've lost like every draft game ever for the last couple months. This sux

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah i've been really terrible at draft. On the other hand my alloyin/tempys mobility deck is really fun to play and seems to win a decent amount of the time.

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001
I draft a lot and average close to 3-1. Draft value bodies and skip synergy. Consistency is better than explosiveness in draft.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Drafting got really lovely for a while when drafting Seal of Deepwood + Batterhide would give you easy wins and was the only thing anyone tried to force in draft it seemed like. I got really burned out on the format back then, but haven't played it again much since newer cards release and most importantly since they nerfed Seal3 from +19/19 to 12/12 I think. Still really good but more manageable.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Oh, I hate playing against other people because apparently everyone in the world has more luck and skill than me in this game and I go into a blind rage when I draw yet again a handful of level 1 creatures or just plain have nothing to counter the massive beatings I get. Worse of all, playing online makes a game take like 20 minutes most of the time and I fly into an unstoppable death rage when the person is clearing going to win if they hit the attack button, but yet they still take time to plan what cards they want to play.

I'm not good online against people.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
The latest Humble Bundle is offering the Dino and Deathmarch pre mades and 1300 gold for beating the average (around 7 buxs) plus some other cool games. Plus charity and all.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Ulta posted:

The latest Humble Bundle is offering the Dino and Deathmarch pre mades and 1300 gold for beating the average (around 7 buxs) plus some other cool games. Plus charity and all.

Probably a dumb question but if I have the game already can I still get those from the humble bundle?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Probably a dumb question but if I have the game already can I still get those from the humble bundle?

they are DLC codes that will add the decks/gold to your account

the dino deck alone is normally $9.99

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Yeah, given that you can direct your money wherever you want (including to charity) and you get a bunch of other games and stuff, it's a pretty good buy. It's a huge discount off SBE's normal (grossly inflated) prices just for the SF stuff. I still probably wouldn't have bitten at that price directly from SBE, but in the bundle, why not?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Card Hunter is also a really fun game, try out the free version, the bonus stuff is worth a few more bucks at that point.

Also, lol, if you already got these on Steam, it gives you an error stating you already own this product. AWESOME

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 21, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Is the dino deck any good as is?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I put the code in for the two starters and gold and it said it activated, but I never got the gold or the starters either. The single dino deck code wouldn't work either, because steam said I already owned it. Guess I'll try out Stoneblade's support, anyone else having problems with the codes?

The dino deck is good, you get some thundersaurs and lots of good dino cards

Wait, it looks like the gold went through after I went back and forth between the store a few times.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

I put the code in for the two starters and gold and it said it activated, but I never got the gold or the starters either. The single dino deck code wouldn't work either, because steam said I already owned it. Guess I'll try out Stoneblade's support, anyone else having problems with the codes?

The dino deck is good, you get some thundersaurs and lots of good dino cards

Wait, it looks like the gold went through after I went back and forth between the store a few times.

I didnt have any problems redeeming my codes. Anyone have any opinions on whether the Dino Deck or the Marching Death is stronger? That Thundersaur card is ridiculous.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

vulturesrow posted:

I didnt have any problems redeeming my codes. Anyone have any opinions on whether the Dino Deck or the Marching Death is stronger? That Thundersaur card is ridiculous.

I can't imagine any of the store decks being competitive since they only have one copy of the good cards like thundersuar. I would pick the one with the legendary cards you like best.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Can someone explain why thundersaur is good? I keep trying to use it, and outside of a dedicated dino deck, which just needs all the dinos you can cram in there, I don't see the point. it gets pretty beefy for one or two swings, but it's predicated on getting closer to getting killed -- I'd rather use a critter with some actual survivability.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

palecur posted:

Can someone explain why thundersaur is good? I keep trying to use it, and outside of a dedicated dino deck, which just needs all the dinos you can cram in there, I don't see the point. it gets pretty beefy for one or two swings, but it's predicated on getting closer to getting killed -- I'd rather use a critter with some actual survivability.

The idea is to pair him with big health buffs so he lasts longer. Often I'll see TSaur1 + Shard1 early in a game wherein I'm now facing down a 6/18 Breakthrough, who is only going to get bigger. How many level 1 creatures will the average deck take to trade out 18 damage, and how well off do you think you'll be when you've had to feed 3+ creatures to a single lane* while your opponent goes and fills up the rest with more stuff? Even without the health buffs the same concept applies; he will usually be able to net the controller a good amount of tempo because of how long he'll last (minimum 2 6 ATK creatures at rank 1).

*Not accounting for removal spell options, just purely creature combat.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Thundersaur tends to be really good against some decks, and "don't play it at all ever" against other decks. It tends to be good against decks that have no way to get rid of it outside of combat damage. It tends to be bad against decks that can remove it, or have utility creatures that you want to kill ASAP and putting a 0 power creature in front of them doesn't work. You generally don't ever want to play a thundersaur into an open lane unless you're going to pump it in some way as well.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I was playing around with him and rites of the grimgaunt, dropping photobombs to fill up the field with 1/1 plants, he gets to steam roll the little guys, gain health for everyone dropping dead and combo with all the dino stuff that buffs him up. Not really tournament strong, but fun to pull off.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

J posted:

Thundersaur tends to be really good against some decks, and "don't play it at all ever" against other decks. It tends to be good against decks that have no way to get rid of it outside of combat damage. It tends to be bad against decks that can remove it, or have utility creatures that you want to kill ASAP and putting a 0 power creature in front of them doesn't work. You generally don't ever want to play a thundersaur into an open lane unless you're going to pump it in some way as well.

This is pretty much it. Also worth noting that the L1 is generally only crazy strong if it gets some solid buffs (like Lysian Shard), while L2/L3 can be devastating on their own.

Don't worry too much about survivability. No creature is going to last forever. TSaur can reliably trade well while pushing damage to the face when you play it right, and that's what's important.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just started playing this coming out of a Hearthstone streak.

Since the OP doesn't really provide an answer - what's the best use of my wallet? I notice the $10 decks have two Legendaries, but there is also the first time Legendary chest and event ticket set to consider.

Would I benefit from picking up a deck + those or just use the gold on something else?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The less you spend, the better. Collect your dailies, buy any decks that interest you and just grind away. Paying for cards on this is a little insane, the gold prices for daily cards is a mess and playing lotto on the chest to only get 1 legendary will piss you off. The card rates are really poor unless you grind and win them.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Yeah, I mean value is all relative of course, but unless you're OK with the prospect of whaling it up pretty hard, you have to bide your time and watch for good opportunities to get the most from your money. If you pay the normal prices, you can end up spending thirty bucks on a playset of a legendary (3 cards out of 30 for a deck) that might be obsolete in a month or two. Bear in mind that the most competitive decks in this game are often extremely top-heavy in terms of rarity, frequently running from 9 to upwards of 20 legendaries.

That being said, there are a couple of one-time deals (a legendary chest and some tickets I think) that are good to grab, and sometimes there are sales or other types of bundles/deals that are reasonable. The current Humble Bundle sale for the 2 tiers of Steam DLC decks is nice, for instance, and sometimes they have 50% discounts on the in-app store which make things vaguely affordable. The precons at half-price can be quite a good buy if you need both legends.

My best advice is to play for a while before spending any significant amount of money, get a sense for the game and what kind of decks you like - and for that matter whether you like the game enough to spend money on it - and then make a shopping list. Take the sharing system into account when buying stuff; if you buy legends that are in demand you should be able to trade them 1:1 for others that you'll need. (The sharing system allows a one-time gift of a duplicate copy of any card bought with gold, so you keep the original.)

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 24, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

Also if you want to grind out the daily rewards fast each day, create a deck with all spells and no creatures, then give that deck to the AI and beat it up to get the daily win rewards. Then to get the online win daily ticket reward you can just create a 2nd account, challenge it, log in the 2nd account and concede to your main account. Takes less than 5 minutes and the daily rewards are more generous than hearthstone's to boot.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

J posted:

Also if you want to grind out the daily rewards fast each day, create a deck with all spells and no creatures, then give that deck to the AI and beat it up to get the daily win rewards. Then to get the online win daily ticket reward you can just create a 2nd account, challenge it, log in the 2nd account and concede to your main account. Takes less than 5 minutes and the daily rewards are more generous than hearthstone's to boot.

May as well challenge the alt account 3 times and have it concede each, even quicker than beating up the AI three times and gives all the same rewards.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The SolForge shop has a 50% off sale on premade decks and chests, in case anybody cares.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Set 5 is apparently releasing tomorrow night. A decent list of spoiled cards is here: http://imgur.com/a/wrOzl

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Pretty interested in some of the previewed cards so far. I like the theoretical combo with Cacklebones and Anvillon Arbiter; kill their creature and give them a free play next turn, but make them discard their hand after playing 2 cards so it doesn't matter. Wouldn't want to use Cacklebones unless Arbiter would be fairly sure to trigger though, so it's probably bad.

Man, I love building bad decks in TCGs. Guess I better pre-order some of this set.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I like how the goblin was just flipped, lol.

Also player poison sounds interesting.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Apparently the Campaign mode is finally launching with this patch as well, which is a pretty big deal. I remember a lot of people clamoring for a better single-player experience like, a year ago, so hopefully this plays out well.

Full patch notes are here: http://solforgegame.com/patchnotes/

e: Some changes to reward structure again (all seemed good at first glance, you can now get event tickets from offline games most notably), as well as various card changes and some nerfs (e2: NEVERMIND, Duskmaw continues to be a shithead of a card and avoids being nerfed apparently.)

And oh my god, Steelscale Dragon gets a random buff? Sweet. Love playing that deck so much, and the new Set5 Tempys Dragon will be great in that deck too since it's 2 defenders until the big rear end 25/25 monster drops.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 26, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Came back a week ago, and Tarsus Necrolord made my zombie deck very happy indeed.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Merauder posted:

e: Some changes to reward structure again (all seemed good at first glance, you can now get event tickets from offline games most notably), as well as various card changes and some nerfs (e2: NEVERMIND, Duskmaw continues to be a shithead of a card and avoids being nerfed apparently.)

They indirectly nerfed duskmaw by changing hermit to only be able to target creatures. Hermit being able to grab tendrils the way it did was loving ridiculous. Tendrils itself being level 3 also makes it harder to abuse with any future spell tutor type effects they might print. Whether or not it is enough remains to be seen, but I'm glad about the hermit change.

I also really didn't expect them to be releasing the campaign anytime soon, I thought it was going to be after the UI revamp. Hopefully it isn't some half baked poo poo.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Oh yeah, didn't catch that Hermit nerf and how it will affect lots of things, including Duskmaw. I use him in my Conjurer deck currently to double-dip on Necroflays; guess that'll be changing tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I wish they'd just nerfed Duskmaw itself instead of messing with Hermit. I admittedly haven't been paying attention to the meta for the last couple of months, but as recently as the December WCQ Hermit was only showing up in a few top-end decks. I thought he was a cool enabler, but more fun than good. I don't think narrowing down his utility was the right move - or at the least it should have been paired with a small stat buff or something.

• Locked thread