Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

The oddest convention of kung fu movies to me, watching them growing up, was that after the final battle with the chief bad guy BOOM the movie's just over. There's typically no epilogue beyond a "Yay, we did it!" for a happy movie or "Oh poo poo now everybody's dead" for a sad one.

And since the credits were done at the beginning of the film the movie is really and truly over right then and there. Lights up, everybody leave. Kind of felt like there was supposed to be no pretense. Here's a bad guy, and now he's done. What more do you want?

Funny to think about the reverse of this. Someone who grew up used to the abrupt endings of kung fu movies and then watching other movies. The bad guy is defeated, the viewer gets up to leave but there's still more movie. Just a string of silent what-the-gently caress's over the next fifteen minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
And every time there's no movement you expect a freeze-frame.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lobok posted:

And since the credits were done at the beginning of the film the movie is really and truly over right then and there. Lights up, everybody leave. Kind of felt like there was supposed to be no pretense. Here's a bad guy, and now he's done. What more do you want?

Funny to think about the reverse of this. Someone who grew up used to the abrupt endings of kung fu movies and then watching other movies. The bad guy is defeated, the viewer gets up to leave but there's still more movie. Just a string of silent what-the-gently caress's over the next fifteen minutes.

Oh god that would make every movie like ROTK. Those poor poor people.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

moller posted:

I hope you mean both the head and the body of the witch, since an exploding witch usually leaves you with an angry, flying head.

If seventh curse taught me anything is that you should always be armed with a weird reptilian like baby ghost thing as well as an RPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbdJfiabK8

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Halloween Jack posted:

The oddest convention of kung fu movies to me, watching them growing up, was that after the final battle with the chief bad guy BOOM the movie's just over. There's typically no epilogue beyond a "Yay, we did it!" for a happy movie or "Oh poo poo now everybody's dead" for a sad one.

You are all free now

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lobok posted:

I can only assume that Fists of Fury was considered an experimental film in Hong Kong, since the hero beating the bad guy is followed by an epilogue where the hero does a flying kick into a hail of Arisaka fire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Halloween Jack posted:

I wish I could remember what film it was, but I once saw a martial arts film that ended with the main villain being split in half with a sword, and his halves had barely started falling before the freeze frame to credits happened. The hero still hadn't landed from his flip attack.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I wish I could remember what film it was, but I once saw a martial arts film that ended with the main villain being split in half with a sword, and his halves had barely started falling before the freeze frame to credits happened. The hero still hadn't landed from his flip attack.

Basically ending on a comic book splash page.

Speaking of comic books, it'd be even better for my imagined person to go see a Marvel movie. "Ok ok, I've finally learned that movies don't usually end as soon as the bad guy is defeated. Anyway, the credits are rolling so we're leaving now I take it?"

*whisper whisper*

"Wait until the end of the credits? Nah gently caress that, I'll see y'all in the parking lot."

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
I was always amused by the ending of Legend of Drunken Master. The dub version has a nice wrap-up of the plot, but Jackie Chan isn't there. This is because, originally,

wikipedia posted:

the concluding scene of the film [...] showed Wong blinded and mentally crippled as a result of drinking industrial alcohol during the film's ultimate fight. Played for laughs, the scene was considered to be in bad taste by the American distributor, Dimension Films.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I can never find the first Drunken Master, only Legend of

I've seen it on Hulu ages ago, but can never find it anymore. Does Jackie hate it now or something?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Speleothing posted:

I can never find the first Drunken Master, only Legend of

I've seen it on Hulu ages ago, but can never find it anymore. Does Jackie hate it now or something?

It's streaming on Amazon (but not free), but it used to be if you walked into any random Disc Replay or Half Price Books you could find a DVD copy of it. There was a Sony release of it that was pretty common right about the time that we got a region 1 DVD of the second one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: ^^Yeah, for as incredible as it is I always only ever saw it given the bargain DVD treatment. Even the first time I saw it, when I rented it on VHS back in the day, the quality was terrible. The image was cropped so poorly we couldn't make out most of the subtitles. Never knew the full story until years later (though it's not any kind of difficult plot to suss out).

What's the word on Wolf Warrior? Added it to my Netflix list but haven't seen it yet.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 9, 2017

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lobok posted:

What's the word on Wolf Warrior? Added it to my Netflix list but haven't seen it yet.
It is pretty goofy, like a Chinese version of Chuck Norris's Invasion USA.

I like Scott Adkins, but I didn't stick around long enough to see if he has any badass fights.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Lobok posted:

Edit: ^^Yeah, for as incredible as it is I always only ever saw it given the bargain DVD treatment. Even the first time I saw it, when I rented it on VHS back in the day, the quality was terrible. The image was cropped so poorly we couldn't make out most of the subtitles. Never knew the full story until years later (though it's not any kind of difficult plot to suss out).

I'm guessing it doesn't help that the source is bad, every copy of the movie I've ever seen looks like total poo poo which isn't exactly a rarity in this genre.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Oddly enough, I just installed the Roku Channel at home and they're streaming the first Drunken Master on there... dubbed, ofc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

brocked posted:

Oddly enough, I just installed the Roku Channel at home and they're streaming the first Drunken Master on there... dubbed, ofc

You're not going to generally see subtitles on TV, for whatever reason. El Rey never shows stuff subbed either, IFC back in ye olden days is the only channel I ever saw do it (when they'd show Zatoichi movies and the like).

e: also there was this weird "ImaginAsian" channel for a while that showed some subbed anime but it was never anything particularly good.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You're not going to generally see subtitles on TV, for whatever reason. El Rey never shows stuff subbed either, IFC back in ye olden days is the only channel I ever saw do it (when they'd show Zatoichi movies and the like).

e: also there was this weird "ImaginAsian" channel for a while that showed some subbed anime but it was never anything particularly good.

Most of the Shaw Bros. stuff on Netflix is/was in both English and Mandarin with subs. Also, god, I can't even imagine how bad dubbed Zatoichi would be.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
my favorite thing watching the dubbed versions of stuff on Prime is there's always the one guy who seemingly recorded all of his lines in a bathroom.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, dubs can be weird/hilarious. I remember watching a German dub of some older Jackie Chan movie (might have been Project A?), which was set in colonial China dealing with the piracy along their coast. So at some point we meet the overlord of these buccaneers, but apparently the guy doing the voice only ever read as far as "pirate" and immediately launched into full-on "arr mateys shiver me timbers thar be a treasure" mode. While hilarious, it was just a tiny bit at odds with the otherwise carefully maintained 19th century China period.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Kung Fu Yoga any good? It just popped up on my Netflix, and I do love me some Jackie Chan....

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Kung Fu Yoga any good? It just popped up on my Netflix, and I do love me some Jackie Chan....

Just watch the ending credits

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Most of the Shaw Bros. stuff on Netflix is/was in both English and Mandarin with subs. Also, god, I can't even imagine how bad dubbed Zatoichi would be.

I said on TV; streaming either has both or just picks one essentially at random.

And yeah, I have a feeling IFC mostly showed the subs out of necessity for those movies, because I don't think dubs exist for them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The El Ray channel has got me addicted to Shaw Bros movies. They marathon them every Tuesday and Sunday and its great to DVR them and have stuff to watch everynight.

The part about the abrupt endings is really true too. Heroes of the East kinda drops the wife character halfway through the movie, and what's the deal with the final battle in 36th Chamber ?

E: I'm also realizing how much they reuse certain shots of the Shaolin monastery

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 19, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ok, I hate to double post in a dead thread, but what the gently caress at Kid from Kwangtung? That film is insane, it's marvelous. I fell in love 10 minutes in when the man in the chicken costume fought the human centipede. And then there was that long sequence of those hopping Chinese vampires that came out of nowhere. The final fight is brilliant too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mantis42 posted:

man in the chicken costume fought the human centipede.

:stonk:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The chicken vs centipede fight also happens in Wong Jings Once Upon a Time a Hero in China aka Deadly China Hero aka Last Hero in China, which is about about Wong Fei Hung accidentally expanding Po Chi Lam into a building that sits next to a brothel.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

moller posted:

The chicken vs centipede fight also happens in Wong Jings Once Upon a Time a Hero in China aka Deadly China Hero aka Last Hero in China, which is about about Wong Fei Hung accidentally expanding Po Chi Lam into a building that sits next to a brothel.

Also Jet Li doing drunken boxing

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.americangenrefilm.com/agfa-shaw-brothers-studio-team-up-for-theatrical-distribution/

AGFA + Shaw Brothers Studio team up for theatrical distribution posted:

American Genre Film Archive, the largest non-profit genre film archive in the world, is excited to announce a theatrical partnership with Hong Kong’s Shaw Brothers Studio. AGFA will distribute thirty new restorations from the Shaw vaults to theaters in 2018. This is AGFA’s latest collaboration following their distribution partnerships with genre home video labels Arrow Films (DONNIE DARKO), Severin Films (SANTA SANGRE), and Vinegar Syndrome (DOLEMITE).

Founded in 1958, Shaw Brothers produced the most significant and popular Chinese-language genre films of all time. From kung-fu battle-epics like THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN to psychedelic monster-mashes like THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN, the studio is responsible for setting off a worldwide cultural explosion of martial arts mania and influencing multiple generations of filmmakers. Quentin Tarantino once told the Los Angeles Times, “For a year, I’d watch one old Shaw Brothers movie a day — if not three.”

AGFA has curated thirty sparkling restorations from the Shaw Brothers vaults to reissue in theaters throughout the year. This includes fan favorites such as THE SUPER INFRAMAN, as well as deep cut horror-blasts like THE BOXER’S OMEN.

“It’s a dream come true to help a new generation of film lovers discover the Shaw Brothers catalog,” said AGFA director Joe Ziemba. “These movies deserve a new life on the big screen, where they can fulfill their destiny of melting as many minds as possible.”

Shaw Brothers movies are available on DCP — and in some cases, 35mm — for theatrical bookings from AGFA starting immediately.

The full list of Shaw Brothers titles distributed by AGFA:

THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN
THE AVENGING EAGLE
BASTARD SWORDSMAN
BLACK MAGIC 2
BLOOD BROTHERS
THE BOXER’S OMEN
THE BRAVE ARCHER
BUDDHA’S PALM
COME DRINK WITH ME
CRIPPLED AVENGERS
DIRTY HO
THE DUEL
THE EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER
THE FIVE VENOMS
GOLDEN SWALLOW
THE HEROIC ONES
HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD
HUMAN LANTERNS
INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN
KING BOXER
LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA
MAD MONKEY KUNG FU
MASKED AVENGERS
MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN
THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN
ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN
SHAOLIN TEMPLE
THE SUPER INFRAMAN
VENGEANCE
THE WATER MARGIN

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

this is the best news of my life that is a STACKED list

Plenty of Lau Kar-leung, Chang Cheh, and even a King Hu goddamn

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Oh god a restoration of BOXER'S OMEN. Wish they were doing Bewitched too, but I'm all over that day one.

Edit: The print of Boxer's Omen I have that, uh, fell off a truck was already very good. But there's no BluRay and the DVD is $Texas.

moller fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 19, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
FINALLY restorations of these films. Jesus.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Who gives a crap, the Battle Wizard isn’t on that list so they might as well not even do any of them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If I get to watch Crippled Avengers in a theater I'll die a happy man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If I get to watch Crippled Avengers in a theater I'll die a happy man.

Seriously.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN
THE BOXER’S OMEN
COME DRINK WITH ME
CRIPPLED AVENGERS
DIRTY HO
THE EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER
GOLDEN SWALLOW
THE HEROIC ONES
INTIMATE CONFESSIONS OF A CHINESE COURTESAN
MASKED AVENGERS
ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

These are the ones I'd drop everything to see if/when they play near me

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That Shaw Brothers news is awesome, hopefully they show some of them near here.

Also the local Alamo is showing something called The Sword and the Claw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmhAw833KY4
I feel like I need to see this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whenever I see these kinds of posts with the list of classic movies I usually just skim over because I assume it's some re-release for Blu-Ray. But these are going in the theatre?! Holy hot drat.

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter on the big screen, restored. Yes please.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I saw SuperInframan in the theater back in the '70s. I am so ready to see a version that isn't chopped up in editing and with subs so maybe the plot makes 2% more sense. A vain hope I know, that movie will never make any sense.

Also Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu and Holy Flame of the Martial World!!!!!

Living in the Bay Area, the likelihood that a theater near me will be showing these is very high. :smug:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm not actually that familiar with the AGFA. Are these restorations eventually going to be made available for purchase? The article seems to suggest that these are only going to be shown in theater and I don't expect any place within driving distance will have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/filmarchive/status/953752047869861888