Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bitprophet posted:

Do you mean the part where everything is ridiculously sped up? If so, that's apparently referred to as 'undercrank(ing)'.

When used well (e.g. I just rewatched Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" and I'm pretty sure it's used a bunch there) it doesn't necessarily get in your face unless you're looking for it, it just enhances the fighters' natural speed. In that Yes, Madam clip it seems a bit overdone (to my non expert eyes) because it is in your face and hard to ignore - it starts to get into Charlie Chaplin territory.

If you just meant extraneous twirling/flipping/spinning...no idea. I bet somebody out there has a way of ranking MA films based on how many times the fighters present their back to the enemy :v:

I more mean that in Heroic Trio and Executioners in particular the actors just sort of wildly spin vaguely near each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nroo posted:

Hey now, Yes, Madam! is by no definition of the word "bad"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8KnmRvqd0

Michelle Yeoh also stars in its psuedo-sequel Royal Warriors which is also great, AND streaming on Prime.
Goddamn. Rothrock is the platonic ideal of badass 80s cop lady.

And I'm pretty sure Yeoh is just Major Katsuragi from Ghost in the Shell.
poo poo like this makes me sad that all the fights in modern film are just CGI dolls bouncing around.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Crossposting from the Identify thread:

Samuel Clemens posted:

I remember a martial arts film from the 70s or 80s in which a fighter gets a tattoo that helps him win by either blocking enemy attacks or boosting his punches, but I can't remember anything else about it. Does that ring any bells?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This'll end in tears

https://deadline.com/2018/07/enter-the-dragon-bruce-lee-remake-david-leitch-deadpool-2-john-wick-warner-bros-1202431792/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I have a weird feeling this is meant to be a Hollywood breakout role for someone like Iko Uwais and I'm going to be so god damned hype if I'm correct

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is some serious hubris.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Not a movie guy but a wuxia legend all the same: Jin Yong died today.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Clipperton posted:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Jin Yong is named along with Gu Long and Liang Yusheng as the "Three Legs of the Tripod of Wuxia".

quote:

Xiong Yaohua (7 June 1938 – 21 September 1985), better known by his pen name Gu Long...

quote:

Chen Wentong (5 April 1924/1926 – 22 January 2009), better known by his pen name Liang Yusheng...

The Tripod of Wuxia is looking pretty messed up these days.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Louis Cha just died yesterday too.

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1057234347663785984

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
he’s dropping like flies

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clipperton posted:

I just heard this and came to post it, but I guess I was a day late.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

RIP Raymond Chow

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/raymond-chow-dead-hong-kong-film-producer-behind-bruce-lee-dies-at-91-1157588

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1030387-shaw-brothers-kung-fu-movie-marathon-to-stream-on-twitch

There's going to be a four day long Shaw Bros marathon, from February 4-8, hosted on twitch.tv.

Forty-four films in all.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Does anyone have any recommendations for movies that use weapons more than hand to hand fighting? I recently watched the movie Revenger and in the middle is a pretty drat good fight scene involving machetes and swords. It was a bit more "grounded" than the Wuxia style I've normally seen use weapons. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but I've had no luck searching.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, how do you feel about Samurai flicks? Maybe try something like Lady Snowblood or 13 Assassins.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

ChaosReaper posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for movies that use weapons more than hand to hand fighting? I recently watched the movie Revenger and in the middle is a pretty drat good fight scene involving machetes and swords. It was a bit more "grounded" than the Wuxia style I've normally seen use weapons. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but I've had no luck searching.

You could try thread favorite Heroes of the East or the significantly more grim Eight-Diagram Polefighter.

Edit: If we're branching out from HK cinema, how about modern indonesian stab-em-up The Night Comes for Us on Netflix?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

ChaosReaper posted:

I think Legendary Weapons of China is back on Netflix.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Well, how do you feel about Samurai flicks? Maybe try something like Lady Snowblood or 13 Assassins.

I want to field this for the sake of trying to put into text my feelings on this subject. When it comes to genre movies, I feel like the Japanese films tend to have better atmosphere and excel in narrative, but that the Chinese films generally have much better fight choreography.

I also want to ask if there is any writing on the nature of Chinese hero's as opposed to those of other nations? The Western ideal hero, and even the Japanese ideal seems to tend toward stoic individuals who go out of their way to avoid trouble, but trouble comes to them anyway, so they can both be justified and violent. The Chinese hero on the other hand seems to actively seek out danger and be more of a troublemaker. Mind you, this is a generalization, and there are counter examples, but it is something I have noticed in watching a lot of action and martial arts movies.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 26, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

remusclaw posted:

The Chinese hero on the other hand seems to actively seek out danger and be more of a troublemaker.

I'm not sure I agree. The troublemaker archetype you describe is generally something you start to see in the late 70s, when wuxia films moved towards comedy and protagonists were allowed to be (more or less harmless) pranksters. Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung are good examples of that. The classic wuxia hero, by contrast, is either acting in some kind of official capacity as government representative or what have you and thus tasked with looking for trouble or a generally peaceful guy who tries to avoid fighting until special circumstances force him to (think of Bruce Lee in The Big Boss or Jimmy Wang in One-Armed Swordsman).

If the hero is a hot-blooded youth, that temper is generally treated as a character flaw which causes suffering for others and/or humiliating defeat at the hand of the villain (Crippled Avengers, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin), and part of the protagonist's journey involves learning to suppress these feelings. Even films that more or less endorse a hero's violent rampage against the bad guys (like Fist of Fury) don't shy away from showing that said rampage comes with a hefty cost for his loved ones.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ok, that makes sense, and puts into perspective that I pretty much mainline 70s through 90s martial arts movies and have very little experience of the 60s films outside of Bruce Lee's movies, and while I remember him being something of a wild scamp in a lot of those, that might have been more on the dubbing than on the the actual portrayal, as I admit I haven't seen them at their best or in a while. Now that I say it I also immediately think on Jet Li and Donnie Yen and the serious characters they often played and realize I am talking out of my rear end a bit.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Heroes of the East and Legendary Weapons are both great but definitely tend towards the wuxia side of the scale.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

remusclaw posted:

Ok, that makes sense, and puts into perspective that I pretty much mainline 70s through 90s martial arts movies and have very little experience of the 60s films outside of Bruce Lee's movies, and while I remember him being something of a wild scamp in a lot of those, that might have been more on the dubbing than on the the actual portrayal, as I admit I haven't seen them at their best or in a while.

You're definitely right that there's a contradiction in many wuxia films insofar as that the moral ideal they present is one of calm detachment but their protagonists are still portrayed as cocky (Bruce Lee's hand gestures come to mind) because we enjoy their antics in the same way we enjoy Arnie delivering a cheesy one-liner before he kills the bad guy. A lot of the films try to have their cake and eat it too, either by paying lip service to the idea that being undisciplined is bad or by having the hero suffer so many indignities at the hands of the villains that his behaviour towards them comes across as just desserts.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this any good?

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Ashes_Of_Time_Redux?id=MKthQkvU1w8

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

If you're simply expecting a martial arts film: no.

If you're a fan of Wong Kar-wai's other films....maybe?

It's a drama first a foremost, based off of a popular wuxia novel that subverts expectations of characters that would be readily known by its Hong Kong audience, and it's got a stacked cast giving great performances. All the action is stylistically blurred and obscured into expressionistic visuals so don't expect to easily appreciate the fighting choreography. And on top of that the narrative is heavily fragmented and unconventionally edited. And the REDUX version is a version even more heavily edited when the original prints were too poor shape to re-release.

It's very good, but know what you're getting into before you watch it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nroo posted:

And on top of that the narrative is heavily fragmented and unconventionally edited. And the REDUX version is a version even more heavily edited when the original prints were too poor shape to re-release.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that part of the Redux version's goal is to make the movie a little more conventionally understandable, because Wong Kar-wai himself thought he had hosed up by making the original version too ambiguous.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nroo posted:

It's incredibly good.

Hey now, Yes, Madam! is by no definition of the word "bad"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8KnmRvqd0

Michelle Yeoh also stars in its psuedo-sequel Royal Warriors which is also great, AND streaming on Prime.

Is there a good, legal way of owning Yes, Madam? Movie looks baller as heck, but like most non-Jackie Chan or even Jet Li films, finding Region 1 DVDs is impossible or requires you to take out a loan to afford the prices of what may or may not be a knock-off disc.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jimbot posted:

Is there a good, legal way of owning Yes, Madam? Movie looks baller as heck, but like most non-Jackie Chan or even Jet Li films, finding Region 1 DVDs is impossible or requires you to take out a loan to afford the prices of what may or may not be a knock-off disc.

Pour one out for the late great Tai Seng. I miss that company so much.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Pour one out for the late great Tai Seng. I miss that company so much.

:hai:

Whenever I watch something that has their logo stinger at the beginning I get big feels for the bootleg VHSs of Heroic Trio and Wing Chun that the dude at the local comic book shop made for me from his Tai Seng laserdiscs. I finally got DVDs of the stuff I had as a kid (the two Heroic Trio movies, Wing Chun, the Bride with White Hair, New Dragon Inn) and now I can chill out. I'm pretty sure the copy of Executioners is a bootleg but eh at this point I'm not going to be able to get it any other way I don't think.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Top 15 Bathroom Fight Scenes

Glad the Matrix one made it in.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For anyone who didn't know, the Twitch channel gammaray_tv is running a Shaw Brothers marathon all week. Right now it's THE SHADOW WHIP.

Aside from COWARD BASTARD, which has the Shaw Brothers trying to chase that Jackie Chan trend and not being good at it, it's been a great lineup so far.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DrVenkman posted:

For anyone who didn't know, the Twitch channel gammaray_tv is running a Shaw Brothers marathon all week. Right now it's THE SHADOW WHIP.

Aside from COWARD BASTARD, which has the Shaw Brothers trying to chase that Jackie Chan trend and not being good at it, it's been a great lineup so far.

If you are not watching the stream you have missed Pei Pei Cheng cosplaying Mrs. Claus impersonating Mary Poppins while wielding a whip. The Shadow Whip is loving amazing

EDIT: and the Coward Bastard was awful, even with Yuen Wah playing a comedic leading man.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 4, 2019

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If you are not watching the stream you have missed Pei Pei Cheng cosplaying Mrs. Claus impersonating Mary Poppins while wielding a whip. The Shadow Whip is loving amazing

EDIT: and the Coward Bastard was awful, even with Yuen Wah playing a comedic leading man.

It's the second day I've tuned in and sadly I've now seen EXECUTIONERS OF SHAOLIN 3 times. Though I would never usually do it though, I've had the Twitch chat on and it's been great to see the way they've lost their minds at some of this stuff. I don't mean in a 'haha that's lame' thing either, but EOS has a great ending for example, though Shaw Brothers' movies ending abruptly will never not be funny thanks to a bewildered chat not being used to it.

Saying that I think so far it's only GOLDEN SWALLOW that continues after the final fight and onto a pretty downbeat ending. Literally no one ends that movie happy.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

Saying that I think so far it's only GOLDEN SWALLOW that continues after the final fight and onto a pretty downbeat ending. Literally no one ends that movie happy.
That pretty much describes 99% of chinese cinema.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Descendant of the Sun has one of the most batshit insane final battles. Cloning, transforming into trees and crabs...I am in awe.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

G-III posted:

That pretty much describes 99% of chinese cinema.

Very true. The stream showed quite a few crowd pleasers in a row though so it's easy to forget.

THE SAVAGE FIVE is great, but it has one of the craziest dubbing jobs. The voices are all over the place and no one looks like they have a voice that matches any of the characters. I swear one dude is in his early 20s and they've basically given him Brian Blessed.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I would love a deep fakes project that replaced everyone's voice with Brian Blessed

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

It's the second day I've tuned in and sadly I've now seen EXECUTIONERS OF SHAOLIN 3 times. Though I would never usually do it though, I've had the Twitch chat on and it's been great to see the way they've lost their minds at some of this stuff. I don't mean in a 'haha that's lame' thing either, but EOS has a great ending for example, though Shaw Brothers' movies ending abruptly will never not be funny thanks to a bewildered chat not being used to it.
Man I would love to see their reaction to the end of Fistful of Talons.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
First episode of Warrior was pretty good. I liked the action in Banshee so I've got some hopes for this one.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Chas McGill posted:

Top 15 Bathroom Fight Scenes

Glad the Matrix one made it in.

Speaking of The Raid 2, I'm watching it again because it's incredible and just as loving grody as The Night Comes for Us and it got me wondering:
Any other martial arts films have fight scenes that take place across several cars in motion? I was loving gobsmacked watching it the first time, and it's such a joy to watch it again. It's on the level of Fury Road when it comes to vehicle action for me (so obviously no need to recommend that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you havent seen Vampire Raiders vs Ninja Queen, get on that. It was so friggin fun.

And last year I saw some weird kung fu film with an evil gang that wore cheesy demon masks when they killed people with tridents, and one of the gang members helped the hero. Anyone know which that was? It was really fun