Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going through the list in the OP, really really enjoyed Come Drink With Me, I like the idea of a tiered system of bad guys that the main dude has to kill. With that knowledge, should my next series be Lady Snowblood or One Armed Boxer? I'm mostly looking for ridiculousness instead of seriousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

More or less every Shaw Bros movie directed by Chang Cheh, almost to an absurd degree.

Guess i'm going through the One Armed series then, thanks!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a good place to purchase these on DVD/Blu Ray besides Amazon?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I binged through the One Armed Boxer and Flying Guillotine, is there anymore films to those ones?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I watch Five Deadly Venoms first?

I don't know why I love these films so much.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I was trying to go through the list in the OP so that's on there; I skipped a few (One Armed Swordsman, Angry River) and am up to Lady Snowblood and 36 Chamber. I'm not too sure about either though as I tend to like these movies more riduclous and they both seem a little more serious :shrug:.

Will probably watch 5 Deadly Venoms in a bit then.

What's the absolutely most ridiculous martial arts movie around? I think I saw a image of a penis monster or something earlier in this thread?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am going to track down all three of those, but it looks like Fantasy Mission Force is impossible to find other than a english dub on YOUTUBE damnit >:(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll watch those eventually; i watched the Five Deadly Venoms and that movie was hella rad.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo @ Return of the Five Deadly Venoms. :stare:

Are there other notable Venom movies? I really like this gang

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going to watch all of those, thanks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Starscream posted:

To go back to "crazy martial arts movies" I want to recommend anything that has Chinese martial arts combined with sorcery. For starters, Sammo Hung's Spooky Encounters might be the easiest to find. If you can find it though, The Seventh Curse is the best of the best in my mind!

As for Fantasy Mission Force, I have it on a cheap 3-pack with 36 Crazy Fists and Young Master. Haven't watched the DVD itself (seen all the films on their own long ago) but for $4 I couldn't go wrong. I don't see it on Amazon now, but I'm sure it can't be that hard to find.

While Fantasy Mission Force is completely bonkers, I've always been partial to Jackie's Spiritual Kung Fu. In said movie, Jackie learns kung fu from 5 miniature ghosts wearing red wigs and tutus, this is after he pees on them mind you. Aside from the craziness there are some wicked fight scenes here capped off with Jackie and a pair of tonfa taking on almost two dozen staff-wielding monks. So, yeah, check these both out.

I found the pack on Amazon but they seem to be english dubbed only :/.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fantasy Mission Force sure was something :stare:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Five Elements Ninjas was crazy. :stare:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

That movie is A+ kung fu violent madness. Was it the subbed or dubbed version?

Dubbed, I couldn't find the subbed one.

Crippled Avengers is still my favorite out of all the ones i've seen. Granted i've still YET to watch Lady Snowblodo or Chambers of Shaolin.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
El Rey is running a Chang cheh marathon on Fathers Day. Granted it's all dubbed but hey :shrug:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you hosed pu by not buying crippled avengers instead

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was bored and watched Kung Fu Hustle, it is infact a good movie and worth a watch.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wizchine posted:

Kung Fu Hustle is a Goddamn treasure and each year that passes without the rumored sequel pains me.

are any of stephen chows movies good?

i'm not really a fan of wire fu so i always ignored him

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ill check em out thanks guys.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a pleasant surprise; I forgot Lady Snowblood is out on Criteroin this week!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016R7C3AE?gwSec=1&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some qinggong novels if I liked that style?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just watched A Touch of Zen. Amazing and heartwarming

But like all other wuxia films it ends without telling you what happens to the characters :anger:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God damnit I have a travel show all day otherwise I would be so on that

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would kill to see come drink with me and five deadly venison in a theatre :(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What Sammo Hung movies should I watch?

I wish Martial Law was easily viewable online :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daryl Surat posted:

Heroes of the East, which is a common pick of mine for "favorite martial arts movie of all time," is quite readily available digitally in its Celestial Pictures widescreen restoration format. You can buy it off iTunes/YouTube/Google Play etc. and it's streaming on Amazon Prime, though I think only the English dub is on Prime. That can slightly confuse you a bit since there are bits in the story where people are supposed to be speaking different languages and so they don't understand what the other person is trying to say to them.

The top Sammo movies for me are generally his 80s works where he could count on Yuen Biao to do some absolutely life-threatening stuntwork: Millionaire's Express (the all-time top one, where he made Yuen do a flip off the top of a building that was on fire, land flat on his back, then get up and deliver a line in one continuous shot), and the assorted "Three Musketeers" stuff like Dragons Forever (my personal favorite of the bunch despite the cornball romance bit in the middle that slows it down; discussed a fair bit on the last page of this thread), My Lucky Stars (and its sequel Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars), Wheels on Meals (aka "Spartan X" in Japan; this is where the late pro wrestler Mitsuharu Misawa got his entrance theme music from and is also the basis for the old arcade game Kung-Fu Master whose original title is "Spartan X") and so on. Prior to those, Sammo made his name on comedies like Enter the Fat Dragon and Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind (the original jiangshi "hopping vampire" action comedy).

Note that I say these are all "comedies," and while I normally try not to dwell TOO heavily on the storylines for kung fu movies, I should as a public service point out that "comedies" directed by and starring Sammo Hung tend to have this structure of "wacky hijinks, wacky hijinks, BRUTAL RAPE/MURDER, wacky hijinks, wacky hijinks" like he just doesn't realize the Rubicon has been crossed. Like Wong Jing's comedies, Sammo's humor doesn't always age so well since they're the sorts of movies where the funniest thing in the world is a pretty girl getting punched in the face. Just making sure everyone is aware of this up front. Some other good ones are Magnificent Butcher (which Sammo co-directed with Yuen Woo-Ping and definitely is of the "wacky hijinks->rape/murder->wacky hijinks" mold; RIP Simon Yuen who died during filming) and The Odd Couple directed by the great but perennially overshadowed Lau Kar Wing. Odd Couple definitely has the others beat as far as weapons choreography goes.

Once you have some base idea of who Sammo Hung is after seeing these, you can better appreciate his renewed lease on cinematic life playing dastardly old men for Wilson Yip in stuff like SPL: Kill Zone and Ip Man 2.

Thank you so much for this, I got my next few weeks planned out!!