Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hseiken
Aug 25, 2013
I'm a sucker for:

And I really hope this post belongs here...forgive me if this belongs elsewhere and I'll take my business right out of here.

I think the movie is a special kind of poop, but one thing that I actually do like that's not a 'so bad it's good' aspect of the movie, but an actually a, no poo poo, "this is cool stuff" is the soundtrack. I discovered by accident that three of the soundtrack cues in the movie is actually from ROCKY ("Philidelphia Morning", "Marines' Hymn Yankee Doodle" and "Reflections"). This got me thinking that the rest of the tracks are likely stolen from other sources. However, I've not been successful in locating any of them. Does anyone have any knowledge to share on this movie concerning soundtrack sources? I've looked on IMDB and several reviews including a fansite on the movie and none really research the soundtrack (though they did figure out "Bruce K. L. Lea" is actually Jun Chong who instructs Tae Kwon Do in LA currently) so that brings us to the gist of this post.

I was hoping maybe someone else has sat through this stinker of a movie recognized some of the tunes and could post title/artist or even leads as to where to look.

It's a public domain movie and is on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-rEXS99dDI

Here are time stamps for the youtube link for all song cues (without posting repeats as several make multiple appearances). I've also pointed out the ones I've ID'd.

(NOTE: Only first movie cue of track listed, tune may appear in longer length elsewhere in film)

0:00:15 <-- also used on the trailer, seems to be completely uncut on the trailer which goes for 2 minutes.
0:00:42 <-- super funky spy sounding...James Bond soundtrack?
0:04:38 <-- the flugelhorn blues track, used constantly in the film...Blue Note?
0:05:00 <-- used twice I think, sounds like another film soundtrack
0:08:54 <-- used a couple of times, another one seemingly from a better movie's OST
0:09:20 <-- is this part of 0:09:32 or another cue?
0:09:32 <-- Godfather maybe? Some 70's mobster movie?
0:09:46 <-- good ol' lazy jazz/funk stuff...no idea even where to look for this
0:12:59 <-- DANGER! Another OST ripoff? Maybe same as 0:05:00's source?
0:17:14 <-- super groovy tune, the one I want to find most of all...shades of madlib digging in Blue Note's catalog...
0:19:52 <-- I swear I've heard tons of variations on this throughout 70's kung fu cinema. Various portions of same tune?
0:21:44 <-- also seems like classic 70's cheap soundtrack mill stuff...?
0:21:51 <-- ROCKY OST "Reflections"
0:22:28 <-- Also ROCKY? I didn't recognize it in the fanfares
0:22:54 <-- drat, this is some speedy funky fresh poo poo. I thought maybe it might be Spirit of Atlanta...nope. It also sounds edited, as if there might be singing or other elements that were undesirable cut out...
0:26:14 <-- possibly a western soundtrack? Would seem fitting in the context of the scene...the shadowy stranger at high noon.
0:26;59 <-- elevator bossa nova, but still...it begs to be ID'd...
0:28:27 <-- ROCKY "Philidelpha Morning"
0:31:23 <-- some synth-accordion love theme? Played pretty much from start to finish...
0:39:02 <-- Enter the Dragon?! Confirm? I don't have the OST
0:40:07 <-- check out the drums on this one...groovy! Needs ID for sure!
0:41:32 <-- goofy musical cue of a couple of low basson/saxaphone/tuba or something...menacing or comical? You decide!
0:43:07 <-- not only is this the most random scene in the movie (hard to achieve in random scene-ness which comprises the entire scope of the film) but the most out of place musical cue, lasts 1 second. Just an orchestral stab with evil dripped on it.
0:43:23 <-- horror film? What is this doing in a kung fu flick? ID...maybe Exorcist or something?
0:48:54 <-- sounds like it could be an edit of the western theme? No idea...
0:50:21 <-- more Exorcist?
0:51:00 <-- more James Bond? Or what?
0:51;50 <-- okay, one unidentified tune played on another...I HATE THIS MOVIE! ;)
0:52:33 <-- library music? This is making my head hurt...so many possible sources...music director is evil.
0:53:51 <-- ROCKY "Marine Hymn Yankee Doodle"
0:55:37 <-- is there no end to the music this movie borrows from?
1:04:29 <-- and another curveball...maybe the same soundtrack from 0:09:32? (an aside note...dig that spring reverb on the shoes, bro!)
1:04:58 <-- seriously, I can't tell anymore if this is more of a previous track or not...OST experts, here's your time to shine! Of special note, it seems to directly go right into the track at 0:40:07...or maybe that's just clever editing?
1:08:17 <-- surely someone can recognize the origins of that sinister percussion...or is it sinister windup toy?
1:09:49 <-- I don't even know anymore...is this a part of an earlier theme? You've got me...No idea...help!
1:16:44 <-- seemingly out of place musical cue...soundtrack guy out to lunch on this...but the source..?

And that's it. I do hope people can point me in the right direction.
Thanks for help in advance. Again, if this post is deemed to be moved, may I request it be moved with all info in tact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU