Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Keep in mind, Jackie Chan was forty when he made Drunken Master 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

In addition to everything that's been said, I'd also recommend Police Story 2, Dragons Forever (mostly for that amazing final fight), Project A2, and The Young Master.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Miracles (a/k/a Mr. Canton and Lady Rose)

Miracles is fun, but the action scenes make up a relatively small part of the film. I'd say it's more of a straight comedy for the most part.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Speaking of Jet Li films, I need a title for one of them. The only scene I vividly remember and it's why I want to see it again is him walking down a street, with a blindfold on and with like two dozen swords strapped to his back and he just murders dozens of guys with them. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?

This one?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

What I want to know is, what are the 20 best Kung fu movies that aren't worth my time?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You might be thinking of Holy Weapon with Michelle Yeoh.

The combination scene occurs at 1:32:30.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Jesus Christ, what did the Shaw Bros do to the negatives of Master of Flying Guillotine, use em to level their table? This DVD is some beat-up poo poo.

Pathfinder actually got a lot of praise for the restoration work they did for the DVD. You should have seen how bad the old VHS versions looked.

I'm by no means an expert on film restoration, but from what I heard, the original prints of Flying Guillotine are damaged beyond repair. So I don't know if we'll ever get a better release than the one we have.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Holy Weapon

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Remulak posted:

The Flying Guillotine print on Hulu is one of the most amazing things I've seen in my life. And I look at cool images for a living.

Is it the 1974 Flying Guillotine or Master of the Flying Guillotine?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The whole fight is absolutely insane. Just look at that crazy move Jackie does nine seconds into the video.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Remulak posted:

I'd add Sammo's Pedicab Driver, if you can find it, and Police Story 2, which not only has insane Pre-CGI fire gags but also serves as the 'inspiration' for the best stunt in Bad Boys 2.

Unless we're thinking of a different stunt, that scene's in the original Police Story.

FishBulb posted:

Any movie with at least 2 of those 3 is gunna be pretty good

You can't really go wrong with anything starring Sammo Hung. Biao's filmography is a bit more spotty, but even his worst projects still highlight his incredible skills.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Man, no fair. NYC gets all the cool stuff.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Gee, thanks for letting me know, Five Element Ninjas.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Is there a good biography on King Hu? Specifically with a focus on his later career? It seems so weird that Come Drink With Me, Dragon Inn, and A Touch of Zen are the only films of his anyone ever talks about, even though he kept working until the early 90s.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Nroo posted:

Nothing I can find in English. David Bordwell's Planet Hong Kong goes into his early and mid career a little bit and so does this article. The lack of discussion is all about his films' lack of availability; it's only been in the last 3 years any of his films have gotten proper releases in the West. The Fate of Lee Khan is only available in a bargain bin 4-in-1 DVD set, Legend of the Mountain just got restored and released on Blu-ray recently, and I haven't heard anything about the others.

Thanks for the info. How is Legend of the Mountain? Worth a blind buy?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kwaidan is one of my personal favourites, so this sounds like a very strong recommendation.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Young Master is my favourite of Jackie Chan's early work. The crazy finale on its own is worth the price of admission. Jackie gets his rear end kicked by the villain for almost twenty minutes, doing one crazy stunt after the other, and in the end, he triumphs not because he's a better fighter but because he's just too drat stubborn to give up.

It also helps that unlike a lot of his early films, The Young Master is actually pretty funny.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wheels on Meals and Project A are absolute must-watches if you've never seen them before. They're both fun films with a great ensemble cast (notably they both feature Jackie's close collaborators Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung), and Wheels on Meals has what many consider to be Jackie's finest fight scene. Dragons Forever (also with Biao and Hung) isn't quite as good as these two, but still worth checking out for its incredible finale.

From his earlier works, I heartily recommend The Young Master, which really shows off Jackie's ability to take a ton of punishment and keep going.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

She was showing off her fighting skills only recently in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny. Please don't take this as a recommendation though, the film is dire to say the least.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Master of the Flying Guillotine is every great thing about the martial arts genre crammed into a lean 93 minutes. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You mean this track? That's part of the original film, though they took it from an album by the German krautrock band Neu!

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 18, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, hell yeah!

Wait, aren't there six films?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I can't believe I've been sleeping on Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain all these years. It's everything I ever wanted out of fantasy cinema.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

She's great in Righting Wrongs (aka Above the Law) as well, where she co-stars with Yuen Biao.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Crossposting from the Identify thread:

Samuel Clemens posted:

I remember a martial arts film from the 70s or 80s in which a fighter gets a tattoo that helps him win by either blocking enemy attacks or boosting his punches, but I can't remember anything else about it. Does that ring any bells?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

remusclaw posted:

The Chinese hero on the other hand seems to actively seek out danger and be more of a troublemaker.

I'm not sure I agree. The troublemaker archetype you describe is generally something you start to see in the late 70s, when wuxia films moved towards comedy and protagonists were allowed to be (more or less harmless) pranksters. Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung are good examples of that. The classic wuxia hero, by contrast, is either acting in some kind of official capacity as government representative or what have you and thus tasked with looking for trouble or a generally peaceful guy who tries to avoid fighting until special circumstances force him to (think of Bruce Lee in The Big Boss or Jimmy Wang in One-Armed Swordsman).

If the hero is a hot-blooded youth, that temper is generally treated as a character flaw which causes suffering for others and/or humiliating defeat at the hand of the villain (Crippled Avengers, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin), and part of the protagonist's journey involves learning to suppress these feelings. Even films that more or less endorse a hero's violent rampage against the bad guys (like Fist of Fury) don't shy away from showing that said rampage comes with a hefty cost for his loved ones.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

remusclaw posted:

Ok, that makes sense, and puts into perspective that I pretty much mainline 70s through 90s martial arts movies and have very little experience of the 60s films outside of Bruce Lee's movies, and while I remember him being something of a wild scamp in a lot of those, that might have been more on the dubbing than on the the actual portrayal, as I admit I haven't seen them at their best or in a while.

You're definitely right that there's a contradiction in many wuxia films insofar as that the moral ideal they present is one of calm detachment but their protagonists are still portrayed as cocky (Bruce Lee's hand gestures come to mind) because we enjoy their antics in the same way we enjoy Arnie delivering a cheesy one-liner before he kills the bad guy. A lot of the films try to have their cake and eat it too, either by paying lip service to the idea that being undisciplined is bad or by having the hero suffer so many indignities at the hands of the villains that his behaviour towards them comes across as just desserts.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Also marks the second (and sadly last) appearance of Benny 'The Jet'.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

What Sammo Hung movies should I watch?

Wheels on Meals is kung fu perfection and mostly free of the questionable stereotypes he employs in some of his other films. Really, anything co-starring Jackie Chan or Yuen Biao is a safe bet, aside from maybe Heart of Dragon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Remulak posted:

The other day I remembered watching a presumably Japanese martial arts movie that has swastikas EVERYWHERE, on the uniforms (karate style) the temple floor and walls, everywhere. Yeah these were the good guys. I saw it on TV in the early 80’s. Ring a bell for anybody?

Swastikas are a holy symbol in Buddhism, so, as Mantis42 mentioned, you find them in a ton of martial arts movies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

:justpost:

We don't discriminate against bad films here.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Speaking of misleading advertising, I think the only Godfrey Ho film I've seen is Robo Vampire. Which I still resent for not featuring any actual robot vampires.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Most of you probably read the Criterion or Physical Media thread as well, but just in case you missed it:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1427320025766055941

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

A fighting cat!?!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

And yet people claim cats aren't good actors. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

meefistopheles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts films that kind of blend in the supernatural?

Legend of the Sacred Stone, the only puppet martial arts film I'm aware of.