Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Daryl Surat posted:

The top Sammo movies for me are generally his 80s works where he could count on Yuen Biao to do some absolutely life-threatening stuntwork: Millionaire's Express

Thanks so much, just watched this movie and it was absolutely great. I don't often find Sammo's movies funny(or Jackie Chan's for that matter), but this one got me good. If anyone's on the fence, check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts films that kind of blend in the supernatural? Supernatural ranging from wirework to laser swords. Anything with fancy camera tricks and interesting practical effects would be a great bonus. I've seen a few already, so if it's something you'd like to check out I would really recommend:

Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain
Dragon Inn

Encounters of the Spooky Kind
The Miracle Fighters
Come Drink With Me
A Touch of Zen
The Seventh Curse
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Since most of the classics have already been mentioned, for some weirder Sammo roles check out encounters of the spooky kind, and zu warriors of the magic mountain. I think millionaire's express is probably his best if you only want to watch one.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

They're doing a Sammo Hung screening series
https://www.academymuseum.org/en/programs/series/sammo-hung-from-stuntman-to-star
embarassingly have not seen any on the upcoming

any more essential than others?

Eastern Condors is my favorite of the ones they haven't shown yet. The tone is a little darker than the average Sammo as it's a Dirty Dozen/Wild Bunch type movie, but it's really good.

Millionaire's Express unfortunately already screened, but it's the quintessential Sammo movie imo. Great and creative stunts interspersed with vaudeville comedy bits. If you were only going to watch one Sammo movie ever, that's the one I'd recommend.