Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Mutation posted:

I look at it like this: There's a reason why he put "Aphex Twin" on Analord 10 and AFX on the other ones.

Yeah but if you've ever programmed vintage Roland gear you'll understand that AFX's MC-4 Acid was actually the pinnacle of technical achievement in that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
I'd say Fenix Funk 5 sounds more technical, and the Fenix is a more complex machine than the MC-4, even if the MC-4 is hard to program.

As far as I'm concerned, "Aphex Twin" is just as much about technical achievements as melodies, layers and weirdness.

renderful fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 19, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

renderful posted:

I'd say Fenix Funk 5 sounds more technical, and the Fenix is a more complex machine than the MC-4, even if the MC-4 is hard to program.

As far as I'm concerned, "Aphex Twin" is just as much about technical achievements as melodies, layers and weirdness.

Yeah I'd agree, was just making a joke about how insanely difficult it must have been to punch all of that poo poo into an MC-4. I'm lucky if I can work out more than like, 8 bars of something into my 202.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

It's on sale at bleep.com, release date is September 22nd. Also, enter into a drawing for the chance to purchase one of 200 special editions for only 400$. CANNOT. RESIST.

Vordhosbn
Aug 7, 2008

Order placed. Thanks for the heads up!

Vordhosbn fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 22, 2014

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear
the press release:

Warp Records posted:

Whenever one of the most celebrated and influential electronic fartist, Richard D. James can compete with the music flip to influence built. The better part of a decagon, James Polygon Window, Caustic Window, GAK and maintain, including `Aphex Twin has unreleased music under several thousand monikers great pace.

Began in the late 1780s and 90s during a turn in its manufacturing and technical skills, and nikharana Cornwallo, England grows, James, as a young maniton in various shops started DJing. Area of various musical score, James Analogue Booblebath EP was released in 1891, the results of the first series, he decided to record his gown music. Another influential London radio station piss FM's attention, and then label immediately signed him to their rooster, then post & poplieereRS. That same year, James Acid shithouse to promote the song and trying to lift Grant Wilson-CLARIDGE on a biscuit founded his label Rephlex Records. Selekted Flambient Works moving to London and Release 85-92: After a while, the two main points to be made, round the bend

More immediate and critical success of his debut internationally. Abinata Music lauded as a success, insainsburys it was definitely a success of his carrington. Full steam ahead barreling out that several other singles and EPS are given, and in 1493 was a record collapse. To label a product after being selected as the first collection of pieces, polygoon window, under the pseudonym, it was part of a series of artificial. 2, released in 1994.

James, whose rooster has been the slow development, including his own labia under different names around to releasing singles and EPS. Her next full-length record together since 1995 ... I think it she will be issued. Records have been working on for the past few years, and his experience hardcore and lush abinata textures found his style, and his facial features on the cover of the first issue, the various incarnations of present Omnipresent, which is marked by an icing in the world of music was culled Aphex Gemini (equal recognition with logo).

1896 under the name Aphex Twin record his fourth eponymous EP Girl / boy. This collection of 90s ‘nTV era is the result of the video, in which he praised the music video director Crease Cunningham saw: Teaming in a way that my Daddy (1997) and Windowlickie (1999), EPS, was followed.

Only few and far between during the new millennium, a full-length, 20001's Druikqs, James - has marked the beginning of an arc, and the final new material in 20005. A lot of the music in any way is often a lack of communication and leadership to be fallacious rumors of new material for his fannies and his enthusiasm has not diminished hope. However ambitious this year, 9014, they uncovered new mats in almost a decade distribution crowdfund rallied together his army of fans: A precious gift that can not be the same as the new Phex Twinnipicks material is still unquenched thirst.

Syria, September 22, 2014, along with records of Aphex Twin's new album to be released. For the owner of Triple vinyl, CD and digital formats will be available. Bleep a very limited vinyl version you can register your interest in buying.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Four-Twenty posted:

the press release:
i love it

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

mods please rename me James Analogue Booblebath EP

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Ordered the vinyl, can't wait to actually hear what it's like.
I did enter the ballot for the special edition, but at £310 + £42 shipping I don't really think I'd go for it even if I got the chance. I don't even really understand what it is. A super nice print?

Budget Cop posted:

And me James Acid Shithouse

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear

Budget Cop posted:

same but influential London radio station piss FM

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Mods change my name to Polygoon Window.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
i was gonna preorder vinyl when i saw it for $25, but now it's $32... guess i'll wait.

e: hm, triple vinyl didn't see that. maybe not so bad

ee: oh poo poo oh poo poo the XMAS_EVET10 is about 10 minutes which is basically how long the video of that Metz track. my dream might come true

pfs Write fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 21, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Four-Twenty posted:

influential London radio station piss FM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Four-Twenty posted:

the press release:
Ahahaha oh my god, this rules.

I want to be renamed Crease Cunningham.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

my Daddy (1997) and Windowlickie (1999),

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Masonic Youth posted:

Mods change my name to Polygoon Window.

Sorry :iamafag:

Anyone else enter for a chance to buy a 400 doller afx release? No details on what it might entail I've seen yet but I'm just banking on a bunch of unreleased poo poo.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
details

-SYRO - 180g vinyl 3×LP pressing in printed inner sleeves and triple gatefold sleeve, with download code card.
-SYROBONKUS - 300 × 300mm Intaglio print from a metalwork mother plate, hand printed on 280gsm Somerset Velvet Radiant White, presented in casebound print folio.
-Presented in 324mm × 324mm × 30mm acrylic slipcase. Finished by hand and silk screen printed to front.

it's actually a pretty good idea to have a ballot. will hopefully keep most off ebay

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear

http://pitchfork.com/news/56459-aphex-twin-speaks-on-his-new-album-being-sampled-by-kanye-more/ posted:

Late last week, Pitchfork’s Philip Sherburne sat down with Richard D. James in London for a rare interview about his first proper Aphex Twin album in 13 years, SYRO, along with his influence on electronic music and what he’s got in store for the future. The full Q&A will run in the weeks ahead, but here are some choice bits in the meantime:

The title SYRO is pronounced “sigh-ro” and it is a made-up word one of James’ children came up with.

Of the several albums he’s been working on, SYRO is the “most accessible one.”

He’s not behind any of the SYRO fakes on YouTube but he has seen them: “I saw the first one that got up, it's got like 26,000 views already, so obviously there's a lot of incentive for people to do fakes. It's like, ‘poo poo, I should have put the real one up there.’ I can't put it up yet, though, can I? How much do you get paid for a YouTube thing?”

SYRO features unintelligible vocals from James, his kids, his wife, and his parents.

On Kanye sampling Drukqs’ “Avril 14th” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s “Blame Game”: “Is it a sample? I actually don't know what it ended up being in the end, I'm so slack. I know that he tried to loving rip me off and claim that he'd written it, and they tried to get away with not paying. I was really helpful, and when they first sent it to me, I was like, ‘Oh, I can re-do that for you, if you like,’ because they'd sampled it really badly and time-stretched it and there was loads of artifacts. I was like, ‘I'll just replay it for you at that speed if you want.’ And they totally didn't even say ‘hello’ or ‘thanks,’ they just replied with, ‘It's not yours, it's ours, and we're not even asking you any more.’” [laughs]

SYRO’s track titles mostly reference machines James used to make the album.

He’s currently making new music with electro-mechanical instruments including MIDI pipe organs, a Disklavier controlled piano, and computer-controlled percussion.

On the Kickstarter campaign to distribute audio files of his unearthed Caustic Window album, which exceeded its goal by more than $50,000: “The whole thing is just really touching. When they reached that goal on Kickstarter and it kept going up—people just wanting to give it money, even though they didn't need to do it—it's like, ‘Oh wow. Humanity is nice after all.’ Fans were just so happy to get it, loving hell. I've got thousands more like that at home. I should release all that stuff as well.”

On his resemblance to Spanish politician Pablo Iglesias: “He does look like me a bit, doesn't he.”

The limited-edition version of SYRO will include an extra track printed in ink on heavyweight cardstock: “I tried it a few times, and it sounds like noise, but you can hear music in there, somehow.

He still DJs anonymously: “The good gigs are always the smaller gigs. The few I've done recently, just for fun, totally anonymously, were so much better than a normal gig. The soundsystem's usually poo poo, but it's really nice when nobody knows who you are.”

He confirms that he was the artist behind the much-rumored-about Melodies From Mars album, which was made circa 1995 and has been circulating online for years: “There's a really bad copy of it on the net. I think I gave the tape to Warp, so one of those fuckers leaked it years ago. I actually went back and re-edited it, because I almost released it again, but then I got distracted again. Each time I go back to it, I realize there were loads more tracks. So it started off like a double album, but I think it's about four albums' worth. So it's really hard to pull together. I just need Warp or someone to come around and say, ‘Come on, let's loving get these things out.’ But they don't, so it's just up to me. And nobody else hassles me.”

James’ five-year-old son recently taught himself how to use a music software program that he downloaded off Pirate Bay and even uploaded some tracks to Bandcamp.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Kanye West is an rear end in a top hat whaaaaaaaaaa?!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yes but also an insane one. Who contacts someone to clear a sample, then in the middle of the discussion says "gently caress you thats not even a sample we wrote that" ??? That's actually just insane.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
So in case other people haven't understood this yet (it took me several times reading the interview and the special edition details), one of the things included in the special edition appears to be a track hand-printed on this super-extravagant paper http://www.legionpaper.com/somerset/

quote:

The limited-edition version of SYRO will include an extra track printed in ink on heavyweight cardstock: “I tried it a few times, and it sounds like noise, but you can hear music in there, somehow.

I'm not sure how it's meant to be played but I'm extremely curious about it. The details say it's an Intaglio print which means it's set into the paper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intaglio_(printmaking)), so I guess it maybe goes on a turntable?

emdash fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 26, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

toadee posted:

Yes but also an insane one. Who contacts someone to clear a sample, then in the middle of the discussion says "gently caress you thats not even a sample we wrote that" ??? That's actually just insane.

Trust me I would take Aphex interviews with a pinch of salt. He is not, in any way, what we might call a 'reliable narrator'

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

o.m. 94 posted:

Trust me I would take Aphex interviews with a pinch of salt. He is not, in any way, what we might call a 'reliable narrator'

Oh I know, but then again, that sequence of events is so very Kanye.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Love the gear titles. Watch TX16W prices skyrocket.

Gotta get me a Minipops for those sick bossa nova beats.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
He's got kids, eh? I wonder if they've heard Milkman or Funny Little Man?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

TheQat posted:

So in case other people haven't understood this yet (it took me several times reading the interview and the special edition details), one of the things included in the special edition appears to be a track hand-printed on this super-extravagant paper http://www.legionpaper.com/somerset/

I'm not sure how it's meant to be played but I'm extremely curious about it. The details say it's an Intaglio print which means it's set into the paper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intaglio_(printmaking)), so I guess it maybe goes on a turntable?

I like the idea of an encoded song that can't be decoded through any current technology. I believe some of the first ever audio recordings couldn't actually be played back (until a century or so later).

I read years ago about some guy who had developed an algorithm that could play back vinyl from a scanned image file, so I imagine someone could decode this pretty easily.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

numbs posted:

I've seemed to have forgotten about this musical genius. Does he ever do tours? What are his concerts like?

Quoting from months back, but I saw him play two years back, and it was completely, staggering;y good/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I saw him two or three years back and it was loving insane. He's a great DJ

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear
yes i really enjoyed the show he did with hecker (nb: florian, not tim). they installed a huge surround system at the festival venue especialyl for this

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Saw him at the STRP festival in Eindhoven in 2011. It was insane! He started out with some slow beats and slowly progressed into mad drum 'n bass and breakcore. Felt like a good ol' rave. Lasers, lights and awesome screen-projections using the faces of people in the crowd, streaming them live to paste them onto rhubarb bears, and Dutch B-celebs.

Hell. Why not post a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tm1sMh3Y0

Check out the lasers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoiMulVp-uE&t=190s

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 28, 2014

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Man. Those crowds in those videos.

How are you even supposed to dance to that stuff? :v:

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Imapanda posted:

Man. Those crowds in those videos.

How are you even supposed to dance to that stuff? :v:
People were just flailing their arms around at the end. Probably the most fun at a festival I've ever had. Mostly because of Aphex Twin. Amon Tobin and The field were pretty good too.

edit: Some outtakes of an upcoming interview on Pitchfork:

quote:

- On Kanye sampling Drukqs’ “Avril 14th” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s “Blame Game”: “Is it a sample? I actually don't know what it ended up being in the end, I'm so slack. I know that he tried to loving rip me off and claim that he'd written it, and they tried to get away with not paying. I was really helpful, and when they first sent it to me, I was like, ‘Oh, I can re-do that for you, if you like,’ because they'd sampled it really badly and time-stretched it and there was loads of artifacts. I was like, ‘I'll just replay it for you at that speed if you want.’ And they totally didn't even say ‘hello’ or ‘thanks,’ they just replied with, ‘It's not yours, it's ours, and we're not even asking you any more.’” [laughs]

- Of the several albums he’s been working on, SYRO is the “most accessible one.”

- SYRO features unintelligible vocals from James, his kids, his wife, and his parents.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56459-aphex-twin-speaks-on-his-new-album-being-sampled-by-kanye-more

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 29, 2014

Malaria Playboy
Aug 28, 2014

Inform
http://warp.net/records/aphex-twin/syro-listening

quote:

Beginning next Friday, over the course of several days there will be one off events internationally where fans will be able to hear Aphex Twin’s first new record in 13 years in its entirety. Ticket lottery begins on Sunday, August 31 at 4AM PST / 7AM EST / 12PM GMT / 1PM CET and closes Tuesday, September 2 at midnight in each time zone.

Events will be held in,

SEPTEMBER
05 - London, UK
05 - Paris, FR
06 - New York City, US
06 - Los Angeles, US
07 - Chicago, US
07 - Toronto, CA
08 - Brussels, BE
10 - Utrecht, NL

Richard's really going all out for this album, huh?

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

Malaria Playboy posted:

Nice...I hope I can get tickets for the LA event.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
4am? WTF

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
The fact that the record samples his family already makes it more personal than his non Aphex Twin releases. I think that's what sets Aphex Twin apart from his aliases, as well as other electronic artists - the little personal flourishes, like his sense of humour in Milkman, or Funny Little Man. Naming songs after the places and myths in his life (St Michaels Mt, Rudruth). Using the old bank vault in his house as an echo chamber. The samples of his family (his mother appears on Taking Control. Presumably his parents again sing happy birthday on Drukqs, which always struck me as deeply personal). Even the 'twin' part of his alias refers to his deceased namesake, Richard James (presumably he adds the D himself to differentiate), whose grave appears on the front of the Girl/Boy EP.

Much of electronic music, especially dance music, is so preoccupied with style and mood setting that it becomes distanced from the personality of the composer. It doesn't help that it's a predominantly instrumental genre. Just by throwing in a few references and personal touches you sense the person behind Aphex Twin's music.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 30, 2014

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Dr Tran posted:

4am? WTF

Thats when the lottery begins, not the event

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Has anyone preordered the Syro vinyl yet? It comes with a green card with some info on the back, including a web address only accessible through the TOR deep web browser, and I'm curious if it leads to a download of extra content or something like that. The clerk at the record store I bought it from said it does, but I'm not sure if she was correct.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Nevermind: I'm an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Malaria Playboy posted:

If anyone is in London (and more specifically the East End), Rough Trade East is handing out tickets to this, one per person, first come first served.

Just got mine. :D

• Locked thread