Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

RDJ album came out in 1996! It's light-years ahead of its time!

Here's a Phillip Glass orchestration of the mighty Icct Hedral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIuSLczfn6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Well, I was gonna write an epic but posts from Floodixor & Strav have said everything that needs to be said.

This guy is a total auto-didactic techno wizard who has commanded everything from noise to ambient under his hood for well over 20 years. I have loved, and subsequently unloved so many musical acts in my time, yet Aphex Twin is still today a musician I revere with total unflinching admiration. Here we have a borderline autistic Cornish kid with a vision for electronic music that will never be surpassed. His precocious, scatalogical yet informed take on music will reverberate thru the halls of time. I don't even flinch when people make comparisons to Motzart because they are true. There are no words to describe his precocious, childlike genius

Fingerbib is probably the best thing he's ever done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kO6poDbsv0

Here's an AFX joint on Analogue Bubblebath 5 he released, that is one of his strongest. It's the strings that get me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovJQ86bR9E

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

I recently became a huge fan of Autechre, and I know Aphex Twin influenced them a lot. I've liked a lot of his songs I've heard but never really delved too far into all his many releases under different names. From what I have heard the stuff from his other pseudonyms was more interesting than his main albums. So anyway where's a good place for me to bridge over from Autechre to Aphex, and does anyone know more about the relationship between those two?

Despite being labelmates I think there's not much one owes to the other. Autechre was always about the hard-edged techno, hip-hop and grafiti vibe of urban Manchester; later colliding with the German schools from Stockhausen to Shulzche to create a techno-concrete. Aphex on the other hand is a rugged, innocent, ruralisation of acid techno that just takes precedent from any quarter. Aphex treats his sound less than Autechre, who are wont to completely erase any reference point ("Bine" from Confield being a classic example, a Dockstadian nightmare techno inversion that lacks the human element that Aphex Twin would agree on). Meanwhile Aphex Twin will do a collaboration with Phillip Glass and produce a ridiculous operatic nightmare like Icct Hedral just because, y'know, he can. His work is more personal and intimate and dare I say, "hand-crafted" than Autechre but to be honest both groups are ridiculously awe-inspiring.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 21, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

dead56k posted:

i feel like i read in some interview that richard d. james is NOT a fan of Autechre

Absolutely not true, they've been labelmates for over 20 years and are good friends.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm fairly certain RDJ just uses whatever tools he has available and there's probably no defacto workstream, but until about 1996 he was using primarily analogue equipment for the sequencing of his music. I got some sequencing software on his Mac at some point in the mid 90s, and you can hear the switch to "digital" by comparing the analogue glow of I Care Because You Do versus the intricate, harsh digital presence on RDJ album. He's used computers primarily since although presumably the Analord series is almost exclusively orchestrated using analogue or at least dedicated hardware.

Regarding that interview re: Squarepusher and Autechre, remember that this is the same interview where he claims all his mates were trying to get off with Kylie Minogue, grabbing her in a dodgy club and that she was apparently into it. He tells more porkies than any artist I've ever seen, so it's worth taking anything he says with a pinch of salt. Total prankster.

quote:

Anyone have any idea if it was ever clarified if The Tuss was actually him or not? Lately it seems a lot of people are pretty adament that its actually a couple who live near him, but prior to that everyone was claiming that it was just a cover.

The copyright for The Tuss songs on the PRS website are attributed to one JAMES, RICHARD D. Case closed!

quote:

Also I've been wondering, does anyone know why the two volumes of "Selected Ambient Works" were named together when they're so different from each other?

Well the second record is clearly ambient music. The first album gets the name because the music is ambient techno (a genre he basically invented, or at least became the biggest proponent of). Ambient techno is basically techno music infused with tropes from ambient music - lush pads and airy leads, judicious use of reverb, delay and space in general, formless atmospherics, etc. At its most basic - like putting a techno beat over an Eno track.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 21, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Mutation posted:

It's a good track, but man, sampling thunder? :rolleyes:

Natural samples in techno, especially ambient techno was the thing in the 90's, it's an inherent part of the sound. Black Dog, FSOL, The Orb, Global Communication, Boards Of Canada, 808 State, you name it. Your sentence reads like "This is good jazz, but man, sax? :rolleyes:".

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 24, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

BKPR posted:

Thanks to those of you saying cool insightful things. I'll just leave this Stockhausen quote that makes me laugh:

I love that interview because Stockhausen, one of the most influential and daring composers in history, just simply could never comprehend Aphex Twin's music, and can only offer the advice 'be less repetitive'. Meanwhile Aphex totally gets Stockhausen and has incorporated manipulated children's voices, a feature of Stockhausen's Gesang into his works from the very start, probably before he even heard of the aforementioned composer. I mean the guy allegedly rediscovered Cage's prepared piano techniques as a preteen on the family piano, and won a computer music competition by changing video modes on his ZX Spectrum and turning the TV volume high enough to hear the frequency changes from the display. His precociousness is staggering.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 27, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Also, this interview is gold. He's hilarious, and kudos to the interviewer having to engage someone with the mind of a genius and the personality of a child. "Yeah, might do some more stuff with my voice. Got into that last week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rndV_5q8Tkc

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Emetic Hustler posted:

I have to admit that I don't find RDJ all that mindblowing. I got into "idm" via Squarepusher, BoC and Autechre, but AFX or any of his pseudonyms never blew me away. I've heard most of his stuff and own ICBYD, Drukqs, SAW85-92, SAWII and Classics plus some EPs, with Drukqs being the favourite. It is the best sounding of his records IMO. All others seem to have somewhat shoddy production values. SAWII is alright ambient, but nothing special either. His Analord stuff was OKish, but doubt it would have gotten the accolades if someone lesser known would have released it.

Most ppl have this odd, myopic view of production values where a clean, crisp sound with each element balanced nicely on the sonic palette is the ultimate endgame and all music should strive for this. Part of the charm of SAW 85 is the breathy, fuzzy tape transfer that lends it a peculiar sense of something older than techno being dragged out of the swamp. Both the SAW records just emanate a monolithic sense of timelessness that isn't contrived but totally natural and communicated through every fibre of their being be it the production, artwork, composition, etc. Like the SAW II logo was an ancient heirogylph found in a palaeolithic bog. This is a baton-pass from the original ambient masterpeice , Eno's "On Land", but filtered thru Aphexs worldview. In general, and in comparison to his labelmates, he was there doing this poo poo before everyone else in terms of inventing a new language and his strokes are so broad (compare SAWII to say, Windowlicker EP) that other artists have made careers off these single strokes. Sure there may be more 'mind blowing' and refined versions of his stuff, but if you want your mind blown constantly and are concerned purely with spectacle, then ofc RDJ isn't for you as his world lies more in the cracks and eddies and light and shade of a musical tradition that goes back to the dawn of the 20th century. Its hard to appreciate when there are much shinier things out there

Re: saw ii, there is no ambient album like it of its time. It may seem average now (although for reasons above I disagree) but it influenced everyone ever with its charming autistic microworld of radiators, moss, lichen and twigs. Like beefheart, the sense of a child at play is evident in all his work

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 20, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Here's a cool lineage I scoped this mornin. Basically Manuel Gottsching was about 10 years ahead of his time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvremVJ5XdA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaaIlC_MFL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MhVvIT1cPU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

This is a super nerdy observation, but the presence of BPMs suggest that the tracks will be more 'conventional' as per his AFX moniker that takes more from acid and Detroit techno. You wouldn't expect it to be mentioned if the tracks sounded like Bucephalus or Stone In Focus or Icct Hedral, and this is the Aphex I want to hear most.

Just a reservation, he's never really done a full length that isn't amazing in some way, so we'll be in for a treat. I'm just hoping for something really unique if this has the Aphex moniker attached to it.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

my Daddy (1997) and Windowlickie (1999),

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

toadee posted:

Yes but also an insane one. Who contacts someone to clear a sample, then in the middle of the discussion says "gently caress you thats not even a sample we wrote that" ??? That's actually just insane.

Trust me I would take Aphex interviews with a pinch of salt. He is not, in any way, what we might call a 'reliable narrator'

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah I dig it. Quite Analordy

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

thathonkey posted:

Has aphex twin ever done something better than windowlicker? Im not familiar with his entire catalogue but that's easily my fave song of his despite its massive popularity (it's popular because it is good).

But do more hardcore fans like the song or not?

Windowlicker is a masterpeice

Pretty much of all of his Aphex releases are completely different each time so you can't really meaningfully compare them subjectively. Needless to say you must have the following releases in your arsenal:

Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Selected Ambient Works Volume II
...I Care Because You Do
Richard D. James Album
Come To Daddy
Windowlicker

Everything else is a bit more particular or not as good because of reasons

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Anyone who is a musician, especially a working one, has tens to hundreds of unreleased or half written songs floating about, some that can easily stretch back to a decade or older. this isn't particular to RDJ although I don't doubt he has more than most. For a lot of people, its about finding an album the track fits on musically / thematically, finishing the track, or getting a recording of it they're finally happy with. This is a process that can sometimes take years

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

lmao chemtrails

richard pls

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It's not reaching the the kind of perverse genius of Windowlicker, 4, or Come To Daddy or the delicacy of the earlier stuff (nor would I expect it to). It's really just a collection of technically solid, wierd techno / dnb workouts from a guy with lots of cool gear. Of course nobody else could do this kind of thing, but still. It's also 20 minutes too long. A tentative 3/5 stars at the moment

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

toadee posted:

Among all of the other amazing things I love about this record, from a production standpoint I'd love to know how he achieves some of the 'fullness' in the bass lines. Like they are so deep and fat, without crowding out any other sounds and muddying up the spectrum, it's so perfect.

Agreed, and I've also noticed he uses a neat trick, at least it seems that way, where some sounds have a subtle, short reverb or room sound to push them to the back, or are drier to bring them up to the front - it's more noticeable on headphones but it helps to create distance and seperation between spectrally overlapping sounds without panning on the x-axis as traditionally is done.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Also I know the prevailing opinion is that 180db_ is a lame track but in a way it's the most stand out in a moronic clownstep kind of way, like it was thrown on there as a practical joke. The more and more I listen to it the more it makes me crack up, especially if you imagine a poorly lit warehouse full of pilled up Mancunians raving to it

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

renderful posted:

Syro definitely sounds muddy to me, and I think that's part of the reason it sounds good.

At the end of the Pitchfork interview, he talks about re-amping. Sending sound out of a sampler/computer/whatever and then recording it with a microphone. If you listen to The Tuss - GX1 Solo, the bass has a similar quality to the bass on Syro. At the end of GX1 Solo, you can clearly hear room noise and speaker noise. It sounds to me like that technique is used all over Syro.

Good distortion.

Yeah this is definitely a technique all over Analord series too, like on Fenix Funk

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Flectarn posted:

180db_ and XMAS_EVET10 are the only good tracks, sorry.

No need to apologise, you didn't understand my post anyway

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

IDM is an ill-concieved name was coined in the US in the 90s, most likely inspired by the name of the Warp Artificial Intelligence comps. None of the artists on the Warp roster like the term; Aphex often used the term "Braindance" instead. IDM usually refers to the technically intricate brand of techno that the Warp artists are renowned for at points in their career, and stateside labels like Schematic who had a similar output. It's essentially techno music that takes influence from the 20th Century european avant-grade, with crossovers into breakcore, downtempo, ragga, jungle and none of it fits nicely into one particular box, and most importantly NONE of these artists have a consistent "IDM" output throughout their careers.

But if you were to do a pastiche of the quotidian "IDM sound" circa 2000 when the copycats were in full swing, it would be lush ambient pads contrasted against intricate, skittering and glitchy beats, with simple, melodic basslines. All of which the canonical roster are guilty of at some point, but it by no means represents a fitting description of the majority of their output.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

toadee posted:

And yet there is no term which gets across the point of what you're talking about better than IDM. It doesn't matter whether or not an artist does or doesn't like the label most widely accepted to categorize their output, it just matters that it's the most widely accepted and therefore best used in communication. Even people who scoff at the term IDM use it, while rolling their eyes or making little quotey symbols in the air with their fingers. It's been used now for, christ, over a decade to describe this music, I think the ship has sailed on a better term.

It's meaningless, really. Using a genre label in anything but the loosest terms possible is an absurdity unless you're dealing with the most monomaniacial of artists. If you're using a label to describe a track like Autechre's "Bine" and also Boards of Canada's "Roygbiv" in the same breath, then it's truly an absurdity. It's an absurdity even on a single artist's album. Is Druqks a genre album? How could it be. It has Cageian prepared piano peices juxtaposed with electro-funk, acid techno, musique concrete and something verging on breakcore or jungle. There's no nice label for it and there doesn't need to be, either

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm not being pedantic, quite the opposite. I am saying the term IDM is absurd, and nobody should use it

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ninja fetus posted:

My favorite Merzbow piece is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4g2Zjolsa0

Goddamn. That segment.

1930 best Merzbow album

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Emetic Hustler posted:

Also the whole "I've got a bunch of tracks but get sidetracked and never release them/takes too long to get them released" is a lame excuse. Either put up or shut up. There's always bandcamp to put up things quickly.

He probably has contractual obligations to Warp, and the production of an album requires at the very least mastering and artwork so it's not a matter of just throwing it up on Bandcamp, these things take time and money at his level

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Since the Avril 14th tune he posted is the MIDI notes playing in reverse order, you get the original melody with a reverse timbre and ADSR when you play it backwards

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ninja fetus posted:

There's several pictures of AFX with Die Antwoord:

Like this one.
And this one.

The samples sound a bit cleaner. Wouldn't be surprised if he gave the original files to their producer.

they've used the original mix but put a fresh beat over it. The drums from the original recording wouldn't be noticeable against it

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

at this point getting excited for new aphex is like getting excited that you have tickets to pink floyd

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

http://mexicoindie.net/2015/01/stream-aphex-twin-computer-controlled-acoustic-instruments-pt-2-ep/

Here's a stream

It's a great album for beat samples and suchlike

As an album it lives and dies on the concept of controlling acoustic instruments via computer, which it does in a pretty basic way. There are some moment of insane Nancarrow/Cage type poo poo, but really, I would only rate it if he had done some full-blown tracks with the complexity of Analord jams. That would be properly amazing, something like Fenix Funk by with the instruments swapped out for pianos and pitched percussion. As it stands it feels like a kind of a wasted concept

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Also some of the beats are suffocatingly compressed which sucks

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

modestmusashi posted:

How did that fella get it in his itunes? It's not giving me a download option

EDIT: Started ripping them with SoundDrain, but it's only 128kbps :(

Record the output of soundcard into an editor or sequencer

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Snapchat A Titty posted:

No reason for that, afaik there's no way to get better sound out of soundcloud than 128kbps since that's what it streams as.

Oh, didn't know that. You have to go down to like 96 before I'd start noticing

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Mutation posted:

Seems like he's done, I guess?

Well, okay... So that's like what, 109 tracks? 109 tracks never heard before? That spans across his career?

This'll take a while to digest.

It'll be most sifting through a pile of poo poo to find gold.....but I guess I shouldn't be ungrateful

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Aphex conspiracy

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

he just posted an orchestra rendition of Rhubarb on his main soundcloud. it's amazing...... still trying to work out if sequenced or just a straight up live recording

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

his comments are pretty entertaining

quote:

we are always changing, if i go back to something literally 5-10 minutes later I will do it very differently and i did this about 20 years ago! so.. , yeah I hardly even recognise myself, so you just have to appreciate yourself in the moment and go with it . Things change but time as in ‘before’ or ‘after’ are just words, human constructs. There is only now , there is only now ,whoops it’s gone. ok I’m drunk and talking to people i don’t know, is that good ,i ve no idea, hi!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Lots of crappy trash but 34 ibiza spliff is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Four-Twenty posted:

18.08.1971 is birthdqay of richard. woah

they say he was child prodigy but this is just ridiculous

• Locked thread