Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I used to live on the same street as him, curiously quiet! He likes to use local Cornish town/place names such as the Redruth Mix of Girl/Boy, or 'Mt Saint Michel Mix + Saint Michaels Mount', and makes the majority of his music on analogue gear rather than DAWs. The 'Analord' series of releases was made entirely out-the-box in this fashion.

I'm also gonna be 'that guy' and post his two Chris Cunningham videos, the kinda harsh poo poo that a lot of people will instantly identify with him (both fairly :nws:):

https://www.youtube.com/BBMq0hiff9w Windowlicker (absolutely NWS!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9UvrLyj3k

That weird noise towards the end of Windowlicker is a picture of his face run through a spectograph and converted into sound. You are listening to his face. Marvellous stuff!

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Floodixor, that's a hell of a post! I think his reclusiveness combined with the hyper-exaggerated face gives him a very 'cool' image that draws people in; I think Daft Punk and Deadmau5's masks are probably the only other examples in contemporary electronic music that have such a strong visual identity- as RDJ himself said, it was a response to faceless techno.

I find his honesty/bullshit dichotomy fascinating too: "I'm just some irritating, lying, ginger kid from Cornwall who should have been locked up in some youth detention centre. I just managed to escape and blag it into music."
Without wishing to get too romantic over it all, his catalogue, particularly the early stuff, is a very fitting soundtrack to the crags and open spaces of Cornwall, and is certainly the product of someone who grew up isolated from the 'real world', where the only things to do are get hosed up and listen to/create music, it's proper outsider stuff, and whilst many artists on Warp share certain traits, there's a pastoral vibe to his music that is hard to recreate.

• Locked thread