Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Great thread, you guys totally hit the nail on the head about RDJ being a huge innovator in electronic music as a whole. He definitely plays with his public persona in a theatrical way similar to lots of metal artists, and I think that's had a positive impact on the way his music has spread and is perceived (though there are lots of people under the mistaken impression that he only does the abrasive Come to Daddy/Windowlicker stuff)

Stravinsky posted:

I honestly think that Drukqs is probably one of his weakest releases. Not to say that its bad or not worth listening to. It sounds like an album that Richard really wanted to do and spent a lot of time and effort on. However I feel like there is little substance to it.

I appreciate it in the same way I do Exai - as a collection of tracks rather than an album. Stuff like Mt. Saint Michel Mix is unparalleled in electronic music, drops my jaw reliably with the drum programming 3 minutes in, and really that's all I'm asking for.

Not sure how Come to Daddy is taking the piss out of metal. Maybe I'm just dense. I'd like to think that RDJ appreciates the potential of metal rather than just seeing it as crude, childish abrasive stuff. But hey, he's definitely entitled to his own opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Constipated posted:

Fingerbib and xtal are definitely some new favorites :) I'd really appreciate more recommendations, the more obscure the better, because I have barely scratched the surface of his work.

4, Mookid, and Cow Cud is a Twin all have a warm, nostalgic vibe to them that I love. Great tracks.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

HauntedRobot posted:

Maybe because it's quite a straightforward track but one track that never gets enough mention is On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-US91WU8zA

The u-ziq remix is better in my opinion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdekN2OZzE

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Pulsewidth always reminds me of this Battle Garegga tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbINBnYeFA

I know this is more of a takeoff on an Underground Resistance track but whatever. The similarities in the delay use and the lead synths are undeniable to me.

Re: the tape fuzz on SAW85-92, I seem to recall the original CD release of Tri Repetae having a label that says "incomplete without surface noise" (the vinyl press of course says "complete with surface noise"). The fuzz creates a really timeless feeling there, too.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Vordhosbn and Flim are the AFX tracks I've spent the most time with. Alberto Balsalm and Mookid are close though.

• Locked thread