Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xires
Jun 28, 2013

I guess this opinion is ubiquitously shared, but I feel that he's the "big" name in electronic music. If you're going to get into electronic and don't just want hardstyle or tech house exclusively, you go to him. I guess it's because he's so versatile with what he does and doesn't have a predetermined comfort zone. I really enjoy his ambient work, but his IDM, Glitch, and drum and bass are my favorites. On a related note, does anybody know what the hell "drill and bass" is? Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

Periodiko posted:

Drum and bass where the drum tracks are arranged with a lot of unnatural patterns like rushes in 256th notes so that it sounds less like drums and more like glitching machinery or noise. Basically, more abstract and electronic drum and bass.

Thanks. I assumed it was basically breakcore with heavier bass and sub-bass lines, but having the same breakbeat speed.

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

Something I sort of wondered today after I realized how painfully average I felt Syro was and since he just got the Grammy today: I kind of feel that since he didn't release any new material in years - not really counting The Tuss because I'm still not sure if he was confirmed to be the figurehead of that project - that really helped capitalize on the album's success. To me, if he released something like it sometime after the Analord Series, I feel like the reception would not be as well-received. Maybe depending on how big of a fan you are really depends on how you stand on what I'm trying to say.

But I do appreciate Richard getting the award, I'm surprised the Grammy board knew he even existed.

• Locked thread