Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
^^^Oh, nuts. Sorry about that. I keep getting confused. You're right, I think. Sorry. Doc, it's on you.

Ooh, hello again Marcus! Do you know what the good part about Marcus is, sirs and madams? He doesn't have a good part.

Pffffahaha, I kid, I kid! A joke, a laugh, a desperately needed thing nowadays. Honestly, for a seventy-something he's quite gotten his poo poo together, hasn't he? Cool as a glass of good liquor, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Oh, Kusuri, I think you've been enjoying your product a little too much. You seem a bit confused. Any how, Although you are quite charming, what I find most interesting about you is your attitude towards life. You maintain such a pleasant disposition. I imagine part of it is due to your garden, but I'm sure most of your cool is natural to you.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side
Jobs Sharp / Hot
Dietrich Sharp / Hard
Bridget Cool / Hard
Taylor Hard / Weird
Kusuri Cool / Hot
Marcus Cool / Sharp

:siren:EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS ROUND!!!
:siren:

ALL: What rumor have you heard about Central Park?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marcus

Oh drat, I haven't heard Central Park in years. Is that decades now? It is hard to tell, man. It don't matter at all, I can tell you all about Central Park though. I remember it being kind of lame for parts. Really peaceful though, you know? The type of place you take someone on the second date, you can just stroll along maybe, catch a show at the outdoor theater. Hell, the mood strike you, everything else is around it.

I mean, I'll admit, from kind of a small town, so it wasn't nothing real nature-like. It got just enough to really satisfy the senses, you know? The thing I remember most, I think is the zoo. I loved that zoo, I don't know why, but even as an adult I'd hang out there just wandering around. It was quiet for the most part, and I could sit down at the odd hour and just jot down some thoughts? That is something I remember at least.

Now days? I heard that there are white large bears that will eat anything there. They lurk around the part that use to be a zoo I guess. Part of me admires them, they survived a lot drat better most people. They aren't like normal polar bears anymore though, like some type of light hybrid from when the animals filtered into the city I guess after all the people were gone.

drat huge though, so I've heard. Kind of was a downer really, kind of wanted to see some place that I could loving remember? Has to be the one with giant mutant bears. Just my luck I guess. People though? Well they are people. In the end, they did exactly what they always do: adapt and overcome.

Got a Cult of the Paw or something, maybe White backs? It was something like that. The gal who was telling me was kind of distracted by the strange looks and stares for a bit. I don't know some girl named Gilly. Seemed nice enough, not that I was too familiar, you know? Either way, these Silverbacks or whatever they are called, worship these monster bears. Who knows what they feed them. I don't wanna know.

I think I preferred the old Park. Some might say, that it hasn't changed much, but I don't buy stock in those people. Hell, everyplace has its troubles, gotta look beyond that right? Also Bears only smile at you once.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Thatcher

Central park? Surprisingly hard to find, for being supposedly 'central.' But the city's huge. Once you're inside of it, you can't tell how far in you've gone, where the boundaries are, the streets and wrecked stuff make it into a maze. I heard that way back, the park used to be like a nice, neat contained little mini-eco system. When people stopped caring, nature didn't stop growing.

Now it's overgrown into some huge super-block of city. With trees all growing across the street, going in through windows and then pushing wood up through five or ten floors of a building, canopies sprouting out of rooftops. Grass taking over carpet. Shitloads of raccoons. I've heard there are like, fruit trees too? But I didn't think the climate in this part of the world was good for that. I heard one guy tried chopping a wedge out of one of the building trees, to count the rings? It would've been like two hundred plus years old. poo poo got big and thick faster than it should've.

Plus it's really, really easy to get lost in. You try going in to the thick of it - bring a machete for the high grass coming out of the road cracks - to try and find the original 'park' part of it, you usually end up having to go around something, then you get a little turned around, and you wander out a little confused on the far side.

A lot of people will say it's run by someone or something or another, or it's home to whateverthefuck cult, but those rumors turn over real quick. I don't think it works like that. I think it's kind of its own thing. Like, a constant no-man's-land where only the law of the jungle applies and nobody can carve out anything stable. I'm not sure if that's a nightmare-world thing, like a partial intrusion, or if it's something else more primal. Maybe nightmares can't get a real hold in there any more than any other gang.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

I'd like for everyone to answer the question; however, the Game will go live tonight as scheduled.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

One more thing: Dietrich, have you gone through the door yet? Or are you still in the office?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bridget

We don't go to Central Park. As scary as the rest of the city is, Central Park is.... something else. Sis never seems to mind the stories, but I do, and I'll be damned if I'm taking her into that place. So many travelers tell tales of the unnatural darkness that pervades the place. It could be the most scorching day outside, but as you travel further into Park, the world itself shifts to something terrible. The trees become ghastly and the beasts become hungry. Everything warps around you until you lose track of where you came from. Then the darkness takes your mind and forces it down a different path. One of terror and hatred. The Lost Ones who wander the Park are said to be horrific. That's why we don't go to Central Park.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Dietrich

I've heard the Delacorte Theater is used as an auction house for slaves. It's supposed to be nearly impossible to find in the overgrowth unless you have a guide, and if you stumble upon it without an invitation you'll be sold off yourself. Other rumors suggest that if the Awakened go there, there's more than slaves for sale...

That Goddamned Door

Dietrich is cautiously investigating the door. Going through it, though? She hates to admit it to herself, but that...Other World scares the hell out of her. And it's never been this bold before, coming right into her rooms like that. Nope, she's not walking in. That doesn't mean something isn't going to reach out and drag her along regardless, though.

I'll leave my fate up to the whims of destiny.

Also, I nearly forgot. Do you want me to roll my Wealth now, see how my Hold is doing?

Shardix fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 29, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Kusuri

Central Park? Is that where Lucien...no, no, that park was different, not so big...

What a bland name, don't you think? If I had a say in names, I would call it something different, something like..."Center Garden of Delights". Much better. And if you stay on the peripheries of it, it's not so bad, really. Some people will talk of bare trees and bears in trees, but they do not look hard enough. Fifty years of cross-polinating orgy have given the flowers remarkable speckled hues, and the mushrooms...well, I can't describe it in words. You'll just have to try them yourself! I've wandered the outer walks many a time, looking for something new and exotic to add to my gardens and repetoire.

Deeper in, though? Well, I've heard the story of one man who went in on a dare from his friends. They'd tied a rope around his waist so he hopefully wouldn't get lost, and in he went, calling back about "such wonderous sights" and how he had eaten a fruit that was "better than those women we got in our building, goddamn!" But then he must have met someone...or something...else in there, because his last words were "Wait, this is yours? No, wait, I'm sorry, I'll pay you, I have guns, wome--AAAAAAGH!" Oh, his friends tried to pulled them out, but all they got was a rope that had been slashed apart. Not ripped, not torn, not rubbed. Slashed. With multiple strokes, roughly. As if by an animal claw, they said. How do I know this? Why, said friends immediately came to forget their sorrows with me, of course!

I do wonder what that fruit must have tasted like, though...

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Yea go ahead with any pre-session rolls. (I think it's just you)

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Wealth. (roll +hard) 2d6+2=13

Surplus of 1-barter, and my population is content in their vices.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Central park? I've heard the rumors. Most of them are about how dangerous it is there. Avoid Central Park because you'll be attacked by this or by that. I've noticed quite a trend towards rumors scaring people off from Central Park. I think I've heard all the rumors about what evils lurk there. Considering all the negative attention it gets, this other rumor I've heard gains more credence. I've heard told that before everything went to hell, the government or some rich guy built a bunker underneath the ground in Central Park. I guess there were some folks who knew something bad would happen, so they prepared. I guess they figured they'd be stuck in the city, so they put a bunker in a central location. It would be easy for them to get to in an emergency. Supposedly, the bunker is filled with food, clean water, luxury items, and just about anything you'd need to start a civilization up again. People who spread this rumor don't know if its still intact or not. It'd be quite a nice find if no one got to it yet. Hearing the other rumors, I'm not inclined to go looking for the secret bunker.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Game thread is live!

Don't forget to post your sheets! Good luck out there...

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Taylor:

Yes that's one Madness point. Also: when sprinting through a storm of bullets, roll to Act Under Fire. Remember, you now have access to a Madness Point to add to one roll.

Everyone:

Going forward, please add Madness / Exhaustion levels next to your name, like this: Billyjoe Fleshbag: M=1 | E=0 You can make your own variation of that, of course.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Okay! Edited a roll in, wasn't sure they were shooting at me just yet.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Right now, as those poor pasted bastards on the street have shown, they're pretty much shooting anything that moves.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Post coming up later this evening.

Everyone good so far on the gameplay? Questions or anything?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Since my holding apparently has electricity, how do we get it? Gas generator? People on oversized hamster wheels? Or do you just want me to make something up?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Pretty sure that's your perogative. Maybe some people get picked to ride improvised bicycles with dynamos all the live-long day? :cheeky:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 30, 2013

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Your hold, along with workers from Electrolux, have restored power lines that come from their plant to service the prison. Several other holds in the area have this sort of set-up as well. It took a considerable payment of copper, wires and other stuff to work out the arrangement. (This was noted in the pre-text Q&A)

Some other places, though, have more creative solutions!

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

BTW, I'll have an NPC list going shortly.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Thatcher: You didn't have to AUF again, so don't worry about the Exhaustion point! You already succeeded for this scene, so unless something else drastic happens, you're good for now. If in doubt, just PM me or hit the OOC.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Oh, that's nice!

Okay, on a different note, I've seen A*W things go a few different ways, and PbP etiquette is really house rules-y. How far do you like your players to go in writing out the consequences to their rolls? Like, in this case, should I proceed to write my gal in to barging through some apartment building's door and bolting it shut behind her, or should I leave it at 'scrambles across the street towards the building' and leave the arrival/result to you?

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Feel free to narrate as far as you think you should be allowed to go. (Without breaking any rules of course.)

e: In this instance, stopping before you completely escaped the guy was right on the money! :sun:

hctibyllis fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 31, 2013

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Bridget:

You did not need to roll Aggro again. Sorry but I'm taking back that 2nd XP for now!

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Jobs:

DocBubonic posted:

I looked at Gil to try to see if there was anything he wasn't telling me about the situation.

Did you want to Read a Person here?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

hctibyllis posted:

Bridget:

You did not need to roll Aggro again. Sorry but I'm taking back that 2nd XP for now!

Ah, no problem.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Next update will be up by tomorrow evening!

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

I've decided to myself available on the IRC channel. God help me! :j:

(For questions or if you just want to chat)

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Apocalypse World is one of the best systems for staying good once terrible things happen to your character.

Now, on the 'once max per session' bits for Crazy Person bonuses, is that total, or per level? Like, now that I'm at 2 mads, do I get one +2 and one +1, or just one loony boost (that I would probably save for ifwhen it escalates to 3)?

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

You get both. Trust me; now that you're at lvl 2, you'll need them!

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

To add to my last post:

You get to keep your madness rolls until madness is reset or you lose a level; however, you can only use one bonus per session.

Let me know if any of you are stuck or need help!

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Kusuri: Will put up your post tomorrow.

Dietrich: Feel free to walk right up in his business!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I figured that was the case for Marcus, but, drat if he isn't disappointed about it.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Been doing some back-end stuff today, like sorting out all SEVEN Fronts so far (not including NW). Also getting over a cold :cry:

Hope to have a Map and NPC List up before the weekend is done.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Kusuri:

Just so you know, Gams won't say anything about what she's there for until Dietrich is gone. (read my post again)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I know, I'm just seeing if Dietrich is willing to budge on her end. Kusuri is the sort who likes parties, you know :cheeky:

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Map posted in the 'Reserved' spot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Daaang, that's got implications. Whereabouts is this shoot-out massacre thing happening?

• Locked thread