Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I had to hacksaw / flathead one of the JIS screws on my carbs. It worked ok. Replaced most of those screws with stainless hex hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah if you don’t care about the screws, grab them with vice grips and twist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vice grips first, then slotting/impact, then drilling and fire.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gorson posted:

It's so rare to get pulled over here in WI (depending on uh, factors) that I would just throw a different plate on there and ride while the paperwork processes. It's a victimless crime anyway. I hope this isn't a nail in the coffin of our walk-in DMV system because the one here is decently efficient and I can get in and out in 30 minutes to an hour.

If you're ATGATT the cops cant racial profile you.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

If you're ATGATT the cops cant racial profile you.

There's even an actual study.
https://phys.org/news/2020-05-veil-darkness-racial-bias-traffic.html

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
What's up with Yoshimura exhaust fitment on dirtbikes? The 690/701 exhaust is a joke. It's way too long, about as heavy as the stocker, and awkwardly dangles out below the sidecover. It has a single mounting point and is pretty much horizontal so it has enough leverage to push upwards on the mid pipe and rub on the tank depending on how you have the pipe clocked at the inlet (the PO did not have it right). It has a lovely slit slipover joint with a t-bolt clamp and it doesn't even have a mounting point for the second bolt on the oem heatshield. The Wings is cheaper, lighter, sounds better, and has nicer hardware all around.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yerok posted:

What's up with Yoshimura exhaust fitment on dirtbikes? The 690/701 exhaust is a joke. It's way too long, about as heavy as the stocker, and awkwardly dangles out below the sidecover. It has a single mounting point and is pretty much horizontal so it has enough leverage to push upwards on the mid pipe and rub on the tank depending on how you have the pipe clocked at the inlet (the PO did not have it right). It has a lovely slit slipover joint with a t-bolt clamp and it doesn't even have a mounting point for the second bolt on the oem heatshield. The Wings is cheaper, lighter, sounds better, and has nicer hardware all around.

Akrapovics for non-Ducati Euro bikes, Termis for Ducs, Yoshis for Japanese bikes, Arrow for British bikes, Screamin' Eagle for Harleys. Why you gotta be weird about it?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love how people at work mention every single motorcycle related traffic death to me.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I like when people ask me if I rode in every single day from April to October. Yes I did. Also that’s a helmet sitting on my desk.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I just say "No, I live in a really bad neighbourhood. "

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Akrapovics for non-Ducati Euro bikes, Termis for Ducs, Yoshis for Japanese bikes, Arrow for British bikes, Screamin' Eagle for Harleys. Why you gotta be weird about it?

Okay but what if it’s a Husky that ducati built?

edit: mine has a ktm branded can so idek where I land on this

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

Horse Clocks posted:

Finally got past the malaise and dread of loving with the DRZs carb and went down to the garage to swap the PO’s JD jetting with the DJ jets I could source after installing a new exhaust.

One of the screws on the top needle diaphragm cover was a bit cheesed up and overtorqued making it impossible to undo, so that project came to a quick conclusion.

Larger JIS screwdrivers, a mini hacksaw to make it a flat blade screw, and some screw remover bits ordered. Not sure the best way to deal with it tbh.

Did manage to reinstall the cover plate that fell off after the petcock decided to piss fuel everywhere last month, and adjust the chain.

But when putting everything back together the fuel hose split ... and pissed fuel all over the newly and redone cover.

2/5 jobs done, one new one, and one struck off as impossible... I guess that’s progress?

This is probably the most useful tool I own, next to my Leatherman PST, and really works for getting stuck screws out.
https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-Pz-58-Screw-Pliers-Gt/dp/B002L6HJAA

Yerok posted:

FMF is superior to all for the weird sounding 690 engine. Normally they are just annoying and loud on Japanese bikes, but on the 690 it sounds far and away better than the wings/akra. Also gives better midrange. (source: Had wings for almost a year and switching to FMF "fixed" the bike sound and performance)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fmf correctly identified the problem as being an overly peaky motor that needs a mid-range boost rather than chasing an extra point or two up top, maybe? They do have some patents nobody else does but it's all header resonance chamber type stuff, I don't think their mufflers have anything technologically unusual in them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

This is probably the most useful tool I own, next to my Leatherman PST, and really works for getting stuck screws out.

I didn't know those even existed, just bought a pair

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Coydog posted:

FMF is superior to all for the weird sounding 690 engine. Normally they are just annoying and loud on Japanese bikes, but on the 690 it sounds far and away better than the wings/akra. Also gives better midrange. (source: Had wings for almost a year and switching to FMF "fixed" the bike sound and performance)

The FMF seems good, looks decent, and actually has a heatshield mount. The Yosh just makes me think about all the times I cut the dents out of an ebay can from a crashed sportbike, and I guess I could probably tack weld on a midpipe bracket for a clip nut to mount the missing heatshield. What's the reason for the better midrange, slightly more flow restriction?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

FMF rules and is all I ever ran on my dirt bikes

(brother’s SAR)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yerok posted:

The FMF seems good, looks decent, and actually has a heatshield mount. The Yosh just makes me think about all the times I cut the dents out of an ebay can from a crashed sportbike, and I guess I could probably tack weld on a midpipe bracket for a clip nut to mount the missing heatshield. What's the reason for the better midrange, slightly more flow restriction?

To the previous complaint, the FMF also has a built in hanger, so everything stays put. I had the powercore 4, I believe. It hung around in the closet while I faffed about with Stock, Wings, and gsxr cans for 10 months, because I thought FMF would be awful and loud. Should have tried it up front, since I got it free with the bike from Jazzzzz.

I really have no idea what part of it makes the magic. It's a fairly normal straight through design. All I know is I installed it on a whim and was in thumper heaven.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
re: my whining about the dmv I took a nice long ride on WI farm roads to one of the banks on the third party title agency list and paid an extra $10 for their service fee and got my registration & plate in about 5 minutes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

not a rant about motorcycles so much, but I would just like to say how much more I love working on them over cars. I changed the oil in my diffs and CVT in my subaru today and my god it is infinitely worse working on a bike!!

I love bieks :D

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Going to do my first servicing of a motorbike (or any internal combustion engine vehicle for that matter) tomorrow. Oil and oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, radiator coolant, brake pads and brake fluid. Should be fun. Hope I don't break anything!

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Carth Dookie posted:

Going to do my first servicing of a motorbike (or any internal combustion engine vehicle for that matter) tomorrow. Oil and oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, radiator coolant, brake pads and brake fluid. Should be fun. Hope I don't break anything!

Plenty of Aprilia dealerships in town, especially open on a Public Holiday!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The fact that you generally don’t have to lay down on your back underneath your bike to work on it makes them infinitely better than cars for maintenance.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Post air filter change. Getting the tank off was the trickiest part. Looks extra nekkid to my eye but I should have taken a pic with the airbox off.

Next is draining the coolant and getting at the spark plugs. Then brakes. Last will be an oil change after all that because I need to ride it a bit to get it up to temp.

Meanwhile, dad's VTR1000F:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Aaand I'm done for the day.

Spark plugs, air filter and coolant are done but I ran out of stamina and patience. It went mostly ok. It went slowly because I've never pulled a bike apart before and wanted to make sure I understood how everything came apart so I could put it back together. I spent way more time futzing around with the fuel tank than I needed to because most of the bolts I undid were for the plastic cover and had nothing to do with removing the tank itself so I wasted a lot of time undoing them and then doing them up again. But that's fine, that's learning. The actual important bits like the air filter and spark plugs and even flushing out the old coolant went well, it just took a while. But towards the end I decided to stop before touching the brakes or oil partly because I was getting tired and didn't want to make mistakes because of it, and also because of ONE loving BOLT that connects the radiator to the engine that just WOULD NOT go back on. Fortunately I didn't strip or cross thread it, but I had to get my dad out with the calipers and a tap to clean the thread and make sure. In the end I used a different yet identical bolt and it went in smoothly. loving thing. Then to top it off, I dropped the literal last Allen bolt for a part of the plastic tank cover and it fell into the bowels of the bike behind the radiator. I thought I was going to have to pull the loving thing off again to get it back. Fortunately my dad had some dentist hooks and I was able to work it free after a few minutes.

All things considered, it was a success and I got 3 out of the 5 things I needed done so I'm not too salty, just tired and achey from bending over and yelling at Italian bolts. The brakes and oil can wait till the weekend though.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
Today I got my certification for instructing MSF Basic :kiddo:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

televiper posted:

Today I got my certification for instructing MSF Basic :kiddo:

May God Have Mercy on your Soul

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Horse Clocks posted:

Larger JIS screwdrivers, a mini hacksaw to make it a flat blade screw, and some screw remover bits ordered. Not sure the best way to deal with it tbh.

I prefer to use a small file over a junior hacksaw, you can make a more consistent slot.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByL2G9hisrz/

but for carb cap bolts as everyone's said, use a small vise grips to grab the screw head and twist once you've broken it loose you can back it out by hand. replace them with hex head screws

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Nearly crashed an hour ago because some rear end in a top hat had left some gravel right in the apex of a tight right-handed downhill turn (there wasn't any in the other lane). Felt the bike go squirrelly under me, death gripped the bars for a split second before I remembered to relax, stood the bike more upright so I could brake a little (all hail ABS,) and steered safely out of the turn. Glad I wasn't riding nearer the edge of my skills.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My personal riding policy is "Never outride my baby carriage sightline". At any time at any surface in any curve there could be an overturned baby carriage. Always ride with the speed and attention that you can avoid that.
So I pay attention, think and ride, what bike, what surface , what tires, how tired are I, how spirited do I wanna ride so how much more focused do I have to be.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I picture a truck parked across both lanes, but yeah same basically

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Roads here are fairly clean but I’m in a small town that borders rural areas and gravel/mud/dust tends to collect fairly regularly for short periods. Aside from my own experience testing the bike’s ejection seat on a gravely turn, I’ve seen so many videos of people gravelling out that it legitimately scares me.

There’s also a road here that is probably 90% tar snakes by volume but I can’t avoid it since it’s the most convenient road up to where I live, and I wince every time I feel the bike bump around on the various cracks. Especially now that it’s hot, I’m kind of paranoid about them, but nothing much I can do but adjust my speed and ride carefully.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pun pundit posted:

Nearly crashed an hour ago because some rear end in a top hat had left some gravel right in the apex of a tight right-handed downhill turn (there wasn't any in the other lane). Felt the bike go squirrelly under me, death gripped the bars for a split second before I remembered to relax, stood the bike more upright so I could brake a little (all hail ABS,) and steered safely out of the turn. Glad I wasn't riding nearer the edge of my skills.

That's what took out my F3.
Good on you for keeping it upright.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Martytoof posted:

Roads here are fairly clean but I’m in a small town that borders rural areas and gravel/mud/dust tends to collect fairly regularly for short periods. Aside from my own experience testing the bike’s ejection seat on a gravely turn, I’ve seen so many videos of people gravelling out that it legitimately scares me.

There’s also a road here that is probably 90% tar snakes by volume but I can’t avoid it since it’s the most convenient road up to where I live, and I wince every time I feel the bike bump around on the various cracks. Especially now that it’s hot, I’m kind of paranoid about them, but nothing much I can do but adjust my speed and ride carefully.

I cannot stress how much you personally need to buy a small dirt bike like an xr100 or ttr125 and play around on it. Then get a bigger one. But it’s so much easier and friendlier to start small.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

builds character posted:

I cannot stress how much you personally need to buy a small dirt bike like an xr100 or ttr125 and play around on it. Then get a bigger one. But it’s so much easier and friendlier to start small.

Yeah actually, I’m taking this to the recommend a bike thread but this is a great point.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My free gixxer with the broken front valve stem now has me $465 into Pit Bull stands and accessories. My $15 each stands I got for my Daytona (that you can't even buy online anymore) always worked great for the Daytona, but due to their design I was having serious issues trying to use them on gsxr. The rear stand is a spool / swingarm in one, but the swingarm holder portion makes it so you can't use the bobbins on the gsxr. The front stand worked even worse, and I figured if I got the hybrid Pit Bull front stand I can use it for fork oil changes too. They're definitely nice stands, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure they're 15x nicer.

Now I have to figure out the correct way to use the headlift front stand. I see the hole in the triple tree, but what I'm assuming is the steering damper is blocking access. I figured it'd be meant to be used with the front wheel straight, but I couldn't get it quite right. The back stand situation was precarious and I wasn't doing it on level ground so I punted until I can wheel it into my flat garage, hopefully when everything is better situated and level it will make more sense to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
There's no such thing as a free bike.
Alternatively: a free bike is the most expensive bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There's no such thing as a free bike.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's going to be this. There's also the possibility meth was involved, but only for a few days and so far I haven't seen any indication of crazy attempts to rewire anything. I've seen good examples of the bike for $2k online, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be impossible to come out ahead on this, especially if you put any value on my time, but as my other friend pointed out I wanted a project and one fell into my lap.

Once I get working tires and see how it feels, our goal is for this level of takedown, cleaning, and inspection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlTtzBD7Gpw

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Bike prices need to calm tf down already so I can grab a fatty dual sport for cheap again 🙄

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just wait til the pendulum swings the other way in the fall. All those toys everyone bought en mass sitting at the end of season during a depression/pandemic. Easy pickins.