Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It might come with the complete engine case maybe? Genuine ktm parts diagrams are easily found online, it's a 2016 rc390 if you want to have a look; I really really want someone to prove me wrong so I don't have to have the worst conversation in the world. I've never encountered this before on any other bike, even other KTM's. It's a plain journal bearing so there's no generic option.

What's really bizarre is they went to the trouble of having two different kinds of crankshaft throw and corresponding big end shell, and there's pretty normal concise instructions on checking clearance, end float etc but there is literally no mention of the main bearing anywhere in the workshop manual or parts catalogue.

From what I can tell they come pressed into replacement cases, which is likely why they don't sell the bearings to end users. I did find someone that "sold" the bearing shells but there was no image or listed part number.

So yeah it seems that if the bearings are scored your friend has to buy new cases. This is so loving stupid. This is Apple or Tesla levels of "throw it away and buy a new one" levels of loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1303345344177205254

"We didn't take any precautions, as we normally don't. We think the majority of this situation is manufactured."

:smithicide:

captainOrbital posted:

This is from up the page, but is a new crankshaft typically part of an engine rebuild, or is it just considered "sundries"?

Standard rebuild as in "my thumper needs a new top end"? No. "The motor grenaded"? Probably not, but not out of the realm of possibility, and even then you can often have them rebuilt for less than buying new OEM

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 8, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if only we could just deny them hospital care

there'd be cheaper used cruisers on the market, win win

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Strife posted:

Unfortunately the people who would benefit from this the most are too stupid to understand it. It was not hard to wear a mask and distance yourself while there, but maybe that’s just because I’m from a state with strict policies and am not willing to die to see Smashmouth.

I mean how many also won't wear a helmet? And that's something that is purely self beneficial!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Razzled posted:

if only we could just deny them hospital care

there'd be cheaper used cruisers on the market, win win

This is a terrible idea. Americans are already strapped for cash. The last thing we need is more cheap motorcycles tempting us to spend what we budgeted for food and rent.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

From what I can tell they come pressed into replacement cases, which is likely why they don't sell the bearings to end users. I did find someone that "sold" the bearing shells but there was no image or listed part number.

So yeah it seems that if the bearings are scored your friend has to buy new cases. This is so loving stupid. This is Apple or Tesla levels of "throw it away and buy a new one" levels of loving stupid.

Exactly this, this is why it's so infuriating. Why can I buy a conrod, piston, crankshaft, hell even a complete balance shaft but I can't buy a $10 bearing shell.

Jazzzzz posted:

Standard rebuild as in "my thumper needs a new top end"? No. "The motor grenaded"? Probably not, but not out of the realm of possibility, and even then you can often have them rebuilt for less than buying new OEM

If I'm taking the engine out of the bike to take it apart, and it's got a pressed crank, it gets a rebuilt crank. Two piece cranks are so sensitive in general that a sharp knock or ebullient spanner pull can misalign them, so even if you're just pulling the engine for some other reason apart you probably need to at least align everything again.

If it's got a single piece crank you just need to measure runout and make sure the journals aren't hosed up.

This KTM has a single piece crank with plain bearings which was tweaked one way or another and made friends with one of the bearing shells.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Always weld your two piece cranks kids.

Why they aren’t splined I’ll never know

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Always weld your two piece cranks kids.

Why they aren’t splined I’ll never know

Been tried decades ago, the splines form stress risers. A solid press joint is genuinely the best way, not just the cheapest

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Then they should be welded from the factory :argh:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TheBacon posted:

I mean how many also won't wear a helmet? And that's something that is purely self beneficial!

I'm more consumed with wondering how these guys keep their hats on at 70 MPH.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Then they should be welded from the factory :argh:

What happens if you want to rebuild more than once?

What happens if the welding heat affects the alignment?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Strife posted:

I'm more consumed with wondering how these guys keep their hats on at 70 MPH.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

What happens if you want to rebuild more than once?

What happens if the welding heat affects the alignment?

The two stroke guys have this solved. I don’t know how but I know they weld and re-weld cranks all the time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

it is cool and fun to squish your thumb between chain and sprocket because you can't remember which way you're going while cleaning

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Got a response out of KTM.

The bearings only come altogether with the cases. Pair of cases? $986 + tax rofl

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

The bearings only come altogether with the cases. Pair of cases? $986 + tax rofl

You could turn the old cases into an artisanal coffee table I guess

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Are they pre-pressed into the cases with magic fairy dust? Do they use special edelweiss-based grease that's only made in the Austrian hills and shipped directly to the factory in India? wtf

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pop the bearings out of the new cases, pop the old ones in, return the cases as "damaged in shipping".

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

Pop the bearings out of the new cases, pop the old ones in, return the cases as "damaged in shipping".

Lol galaxy brain scheming

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Finger Prince posted:

This is hilarious, but I'm pretty sure the bearings are matched to the case and crank. Or at least they should be.
I had to educate a customer about this when I rebuild his Busa after he wrecked it and he showed up with new cases and a hand-full of B's.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is hilarious, but I'm pretty sure the bearings are matched to the case and crank. Or at least they should be.
I had to educate a customer about this when I rebuild his Busa after he wrecked it and he showed up with new cases and a hand-full of B's.

Yup. Line bored in place. Similar to the typical cam bearing caps.

the larger singles (690/701) have replaceable shells, as does the lc8. This is purely a throw-away engine not intended to be rebuilt, which on a budget bike, is no surprise. Again, loving dumb. Swap it with a fse450 engine.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 10, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never encountered a throw away engine not meant to be rebuilt. Even the shittiest chinese scooter can be rebuilt. Why the gently caress do they let you buy a crankshaft at all arrrghh?!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Slavvy's adventures in rebuilding the KTM 390 engine have convinced me that I need to sell my RC390 while it still has a good engine and intact headgasket.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Yuns posted:

Slavvy's adventures in rebuilding the KTM 390 engine have convinced me that I need to sell my RC390 while it still has a good engine and intact headgasket.

I'm leaning towards CSB's idea hard and am already starting a spreadsheet on engine swap options. I like the Husaberg 450 idea a lot.

Kinda like how the default Grom engine is now a CBR300 swap, so should the Duke/RC 390 get an upgrade when it dies (not if).

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Slavvy posted:

Why the gently caress do they let you buy a crankshaft at all arrrghh?!

This is a really good question

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Welp, that's blown.

Never done forks before.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

popping boingers is fun but goopy and smelly

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Regular forks are easy enough to work on that I can do it, shouldn't be any problem for you

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

anybody want to try explaining what causes a man on a CBR300 to ride down a Texas interstate wearing a full-face helmet with no face shield

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FBS posted:

anybody want to try explaining what causes a man on a CBR300 to ride down a Texas interstate wearing a full-face helmet with no face shield

Birdstrike? Meth?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It broke and he can't afford a new one (or doesn't feel like it's worth it).

Back before lockdown I was sat in a mcdonalds with my helmet on the table and a deliveroo rider came up to me to ask if I know how to fix his. The main pivot bolt holding the chin bar on was sheared off on one side. I told him he needed a new helmet and he just went "oh" and wandered off.

I do not imagine he bought a new helmet.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

Any eye protection? Sometimes I think about taking the shield off my RF1200 to minimize buffering when it’s open cause I want to wear my moto glasses.

Wildest thing I ever saw was a guy on 95 in CT on a sportster going at least 80 wearing just a baseball hat and ray bans. That must have been so god drat loud.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

FBS posted:

Was he at least wearing sunglasses or something inside the helmet? I've seen people do that so they get more airflow but not destroy their eyes.

I've been noticing a lot of people in NH wearing a half or no helmet, but with a full balaclava or facemask, plus glasses, and a hat. Seems like that negates most of the "I want to feel the wind in my face" arguments.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

nope my man had nothing over his eyes at all

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

was he a lego man

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've always heard of this happening but I'd never seen it until now. I was making some dinner for the week and I looked out my window just in time to see this guy get pulled over by a mounted cop.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

I've always heard of this happening but I'd never seen it until now. I was making some dinner for the week and I looked out my window just in time to see this guy get pulled over by a mounted cop.

I've seen Due South, there's no point trying to escape.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Got an email today from BMW talking about the R18. I either had never heard about it or forgot about it:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-bmw-r18-is-the-kind-of-throwback-cool-the-worl-1842669420#replies

It just seems weird that bmw can make good/cool bikes in any segment, while HD, the obvious target here, can only make one style (and the sportster I guess).

At the same price as a HD and 750 lbs, I’m not super interested, but I do wonder if this is in response to HD’s general woes, so that Indian doesn’t get all the business if HD goes under.

Like between this cruiser and the R9T, I don’t ever see going with this, but bmw has made some out there bikes before- the R1200C comes to mind.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Alamoduh posted:

Got an email today from BMW talking about the R18. I either had never heard about it or forgot about it:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-bmw-r18-is-the-kind-of-throwback-cool-the-worl-1842669420#replies

It just seems weird that bmw can make good/cool bikes in any segment, while HD, the obvious target here, can only make one style (and the sportster I guess).

At the same price as a HD and 750 lbs, I’m not super interested, but I do wonder if this is in response to HD’s general woes, so that Indian doesn’t get all the business if HD goes under.

Like between this cruiser and the R9T, I don’t ever see going with this, but bmw has made some out there bikes before- the R1200C comes to mind.

The exhaust shrouds on that thing are a loving travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alamoduh posted:

BMW make precisely one cool bike and that really isn't it. They're like german Honda.