Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm baffled that that doesn't cost north of 20k, and would totally ride it if I were wealthy and dumb with money. It's a really good looking motorcycle.

Slavvy posted:

BMW make precisely one cool bike and that really isn't it. They're like german Honda.

Which bike is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Coydog posted:

Which bike is that?
the G 310 GS of course

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari
S1000RR?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've heard the version where they engineer one of those r's out is pretty dece too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
One of our noblest goons has/had the S1000XR.

I heard it was pretty good and a nice alternative to such as the Multistrada.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
S1000R = naked RR / BMW's Tuono
XR = Dad bike w/ RR motor in it (so Slavvy will hate it)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
im pretty certain bill was riding an s1000xr for the sandblast rally clinic, impressive machine to be sure

mewse
May 2, 2006

Alamoduh posted:

Got an email today from BMW talking about the R18. I either had never heard about it or forgot about it:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-bmw-r18-is-the-kind-of-throwback-cool-the-worl-1842669420#replies

It just seems weird that bmw can make good/cool bikes in any segment, while HD, the obvious target here, can only make one style (and the sportster I guess).

At the same price as a HD and 750 lbs, I’m not super interested, but I do wonder if this is in response to HD’s general woes, so that Indian doesn’t get all the business if HD goes under.

Like between this cruiser and the R9T, I don’t ever see going with this, but bmw has made some out there bikes before- the R1200C comes to mind.

Haha everything is probably metric on that German piece of poo poo, am I right boys???

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

S1000R = naked RR / BMW's Tuono
XR = Dad bike w/ RR motor in it (so Slavvy will hate it)

I've ridden all three variants and the XR felt broken and loaded with lead weights. In the name of adventure bullshit, it throws away what is by far the strongest quality of that chassis - the absolutely incredible trail braking it's capable of with the normal length forks. Riding an s1000r for a day genuinely broke my brain and caused me to nearly crash a scooter the next day because I kept entering corners way too fast with way too much brake, I've not ridden another bike that had quite that same quality.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

On my commute home today, I ran into a guy on an older VFR who had installed headlight flashers on his loving HIGHBEAMS. While it did succeed in getting my attention, it also succeeded in making me want to punt him into the loving guardrail.

I can't imagine what it would be like at night.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wait do you mean like strobes?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The thing in the second half of this video installed on the highbeams.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well gently caress me running. I almost just got rear-ended by a (probably) drunk driver.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qgz64j1e0a1vdfl96.mp4

I was in the left lane at the SW corner of Bathurst and Dundas waiting to turn Northbound onto Bathurst when I heard an impact to my right - I'd never been that close to a collision so I thought it was a pallet falling off of the back of a truck or something, until the SUV directly next to me skidded forward and hit the minivan in front of it. I hopped off the bike and asked both drivers if they were OK, turned around and there were at least three guys trying to pull this dude out of the red car - he was clearly intoxicated and was trying to drive away. They said he had run the red at Euclid and almost hit a family with a stroller before the collision. I got on the horn with 911 and stuck around to give a statement.

If that rear end in a top hat had swerved to his left he would have absolutely wrecked me. Yeesh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like we’re experiencing some blowback from the War on the Car :hmmyes:

I’m glad you’re OK.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My current project bike is the first time I've created a spreadsheet to track all the expenses for a vehicle, but now I'm thinking maybe not tracking all the expenses is a better idea

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

My current project bike is the first time I've created a spreadsheet to track all the expenses for a vehicle, but now I'm thinking maybe not tracking all the expenses is a better idea

I have a budget category called "Vehicular Goods/Tools/Equipment" and one called "Vehicular Maintenance" so the bike expenses get absorbed into the rest of it. If I really wanted to know I could sort by memos but as long as I'm cashflow positive IDGAF.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Glad you didn't get crushed Mr. Speaker.

I can't wait until I can go back to Toronto again; I love that place.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Glad you didn't get crushed Mr. Speaker.

I can't wait until I can go back to Toronto again; I love that place.

I mean, I guess there's worse places to visit.
I can't think of anything it has to offer that isn't bettered by something else somewhere else though. It is the kawasaki versys of cities.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
*shrug* Toronto's all right. I mean I was born and raised here so I'm biased but it's a love/hate relationship. There are no really good roads anywhere in or near the city but I do get my jollies hitting my onramps on the DVP, and some short-lived fun from little corners and chicanes in downtown streets. The closest half-decent twisties are about an hour NW of the city, Forks of the Credit Road - I think someone else here said "yeah all four minutes of it are great," it's a very short ride. I meant to take a trip a few hours North to circumnavigate Lakes Rosseau and Muskoka this season but never got around to it; there are loads of nice roads in the Muskokas. My only other real gripe about Toronto is that we could be more of an actual 'music city', but even before covid things were bleak, with a lot of nice venues and bars closing due to NIMBY gentrification and other poo poo.

Thanks guys. Honestly I wasn't nearly as shaken up by it as I expected, in the moment. I was more concerned with getting on the phone with 911 and making sure the other drivers were OK. Some of the other witnesses were saying stuff like "I was hoping he wouldn't turn and hit you, you'd have been hosed" but it didn't really set in until later that yeah, considering how totalled the front end of his car was, I might have ended up on top of the taxi in front of me if he'd swerved.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
TBH, one of my fave rides is coming down the DVP into the city when there's not much traffic around. Some nice sweeping turns and views of downtown can't be beat for that sort of thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

TBH, one of my fave rides is coming down the DVP into the city when there's not much traffic around. Some nice sweeping turns and views of downtown can't be beat for that sort of thing.

Popping along the gardiner and DVP in the dark on a clear summer night without a lot of traffic is pretty awesome. I used to live right downtown and took a night class up by Eglinton/DVP and it was always fun to cruise home.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I assume the existential terror of being either on or below the Gardiner has to add to the thrill factor

Is this the year the road collapses out from under me? Will I have a chunk of spalled concrete drill me in the cranium? Who knows! Life is cheap, hail Satan!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chris Knight posted:

True. I don't venture to Barrie (anywhere North of St. Clair is Barrie) often but I should give that a try, you're right that when it's empty the DVP can be quite the ride.

Tell me this is "just an exaggerated arm gesture" and not an outright swing at my face.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qh4wauOxju1vdfl96.mp4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you randomly wobbled into my path without shoulder checking I'd be inclined to slap you in the mouth too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slavvy posted:

If you randomly wobbled into my path without shoulder checking I'd be inclined to slap you in the mouth too.

That's a great way to get your rear end kicked, as this kid discovered a few blocks later.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

badass, dude

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

badass, dude

Cobra Kai never dies!

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Hell yeah hail satan

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

imagine getting into a physical fight. loving cool as hell

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

that's a great way to get your rear end kicked

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, you gotta have ground game in the Cool Zone.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:whitewater:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Fun fact: you can't rebuild ktm 390 engines. Why? Because the main bearing shells don't exist. As in there's no ktm part number for them, they aren't in the parts catalogue, they aren't mentioned in the factory workshop manual.

I've only just found this out after the owner of the bike has already forked out for a crankshaft, conrod, gasket set and other sundries.

Ready to race!

Update: he bit the bullet and bought a thousand-dollar set of cases. He's now left with a $4500 bike that owes him around 7k and a lifelong aversion to KTM.

What I didn't know: this was the third (!) KTM he's imported and not one of them has made a profit, despite the favorable market prices here vs overseas. Reckons it'll be mostly Harleys and Ducatis from now on because it's possible to rehabilitate a totalled one and still make some money in the end, whereas with KTM you can start with a running rideable bike and still fall backwards into a spike pit.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RDfJXAhs_4

I was too busy thinking "wow gently caress that guy" and didn't see the second guy coming up to pass me in my own goddamn lane.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Strife posted:

I was too busy thinking "wow gently caress that guy" and didn't see the second guy coming up to pass me in my own goddamn lane.
I'm mostly amazed that you can actually see stuff in your mirrors. All my mirrors show are my elbows and so I have to lift them to see anything.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what's the issue with the first pass? he stayed in a lane separate from yours

second one is a no no tho for sure

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Razzled posted:

what's the issue with the first pass? he stayed in a lane separate from yours

second one is a no no tho for sure

I'm already going 10 miles over the speed limit, and he went between two cars after passing me. On the highway. On an interchange.

Yuns posted:

I'm mostly amazed that you can actually see stuff in your mirrors. All my mirrors show are my elbows and so I have to lift them to see anything.

The goofier the mirrors look, the better they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strife posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RDfJXAhs_4

From the mirrors, the first guy crosses all the way over from the farthest left lane, across someone in the middle lane, into the exit lane without much room to spare behind the little suv with the roof rack.

Second guy looks like he lane split between two cars immediately into the lane right in front of someone in the right lane who was following you at a safe distance and then overtook you at like a 40 mph speed differential close enough to tap you on the shoulder. You're both fuckin' lucky you weren't drifting to the left within the lane. What a couple shitstains.