Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

LodeRunner posted:

Today's story is BIKER BERATES OLD WOMAN. Found this on my bike today which was in the center of a clearly designated parking spot.

It reads, "You think you should take a whole car spot for your motorcycle - I'll report you". Then she emerged from her vehicle. What a fun day.

This seems like a remarkably similar story:

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t4q8sr/found_on_bike_you_think_you_should_take_a_whole/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Probably because that's my reddit account

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

boy, this just keeps getting more and more shameful

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Is the shame having a reddit account?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LodeRunner posted:

Is the shame having a reddit account?

The shame is admitting you have a reddit account.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Were you in a barbershop quartet?

I wondered what the hell this was about

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

You really need to get a GoPro! Or a knockoff with longer battery life, I record everything and just swap batteries, by the time it runs low it's a good reminder to stop and take a break anyway.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Phy posted:

I wondered what the hell this was about

Might as well go all-in.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
SA is basically reddit, you get probed for anything these days

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It was just weird as hell to see the exact same story in r/motorcycles and then in here like I had a stroke. Like that time someone posted how they sold a cbr250 in CA and then the new owner posted a "I just crashed my new bike" thread on Reddit.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
it's easy (and frequently deserved) to poo poo on reddit, /r/motorcycles is no exception. lots of terminal squidbrain cases over there

I'm not holding my nose in the air saying CA's poo poo don't stink or anything, but /r/motorcycles gets a looooooot of fuckin' stupid posts that CA doesn't by virtue of SA dot com's lower visibility/traffic alone.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Oh, I know. I've been here for almost 20 years and on there for 11.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Razzled posted:

Ahahaha

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

:master:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I know it's the smart money buy, but dropping $240 on a Yuasa for my Ninja is so face-scrunchingly hard. Amazon has a "YTZ10S" for $149 but the photo and part number don't match so I'm not going to play that game.

I could get it a few bucks cheaper online somewhere but after tax and ship it probably doesn't matter much. Just went to the shop and walked home with one. Now I found that my knockoff Canadian Tire battery tender is dead so I dunno I guess we maybe know why the original battery died...

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

That's a ridiculous amount of money for a battery, even for a Yuasa one

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

$CDN so that's part of it, but I think stuff is just expensive now THANKS OBAMA

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah it was the same for my YTZ7S - actually a bit more but the prices seem to have come down a bit. I got a non-Yuasa one, hopefully won't regret it when I fire the bike up again (or not)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah it was the same for my YTZ7S - actually a bit more but the prices seem to have come down a bit. I got a non-Yuasa one, hopefully won't regret it when I fire the bike up again (or not)

I've got a knock-off YTZ7S and it's done as well as the real one I have. From my experience battery quality can be a roll of the dice regardless of brand, but I also live with winter cycles and that plays havoc with them. Sometimes they just don't make it even if you bring them inside and rotate on a charger. I'll risk a cheap battery on anything that doesn't require much juice to turn over or any bike that can be easily bump-started, but bigger bikes packed with more stuff should get a good battery with as many amp hours and cca's as you can fit in, especially if you live somewhere with wide temperature cycles.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really contemplated just getting something else, but I'll be honest; Even if it works fine for everyone, almost everything that I've cheaped out on in the past five years has been a situation where in -- maybe five months max -- I was regretting not just taking the "buy once cry once" route, and I end up having to spend a bunch MORE money to get what I *REALLY* wanted anyway.

I just decided to learn from the pattern at this point. Not to say that the cheap battery will be BAD if you bought it, I just didn't want to tempt fate.

Now if I'm here in July and I'm all "gently caress, the Yusua is dead WTF" then I guess the universe is just trying to tell me it doesn't want me to have money.

And man, I totally forgot how heavy a battery can be. It's almost as if it's full of lead and liquid :confused:. The guy at the counter brought out this tiny box, I paid for it and picked it up and it took me a second to process because I remember saying "whoah this is surprisingly heavy" out loud like a weirdo with no internal monologue. Just completely aside, I mean. Not that I'm saying "oh I should have gone for a lithium" or whatever.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 10, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Holy poo poo communicating with a dealer through their sales email is loving painful, what the hell. I wrote a concise email for a motorcycle they have listed... "confirm if this is what you're interested in blah blah canned robot email probably", email them back... yes and i want to communicate over email. Get a response... "we couldn't reach you on the phone", the proceed to ask me several questions answered in the prior two emails. :argh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok which one of you was this

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NOT IT, for a change.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Did the owner have to zip up his pants when he got off that hog to drop it off?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Ok which one of you was this

what IS that mess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that hot glue, or (somehow even worse) epoxy?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Past-me, making future-me’s job messier than it needs to be with 100 years worth of dielectric grease?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Holy poo poo communicating with a dealer through their sales email is loving painful, what the hell. I wrote a concise email for a motorcycle they have listed... "confirm if this is what you're interested in blah blah canned robot email probably", email them back... yes and i want to communicate over email. Get a response... "we couldn't reach you on the phone", the proceed to ask me several questions answered in the prior two emails. :argh:

Wait till you try to buy a house. Estate agents are even worse.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Did the owner have to zip up his pants when he got off that hog to drop it off?

It's an fjr1300 that was last ridden five years ago by the owner, who since died of old age, and it is now owned by his son who just wants to sell it. It's immaculate but covered in minor inane old man bullshit.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is that hot glue, or (somehow even worse) epoxy?

It's hot glue yeah. Interestingly, the stuff on the negative terminal was rock hard and had to be chiseled off, while the positive was all rubbery. So it might have been aquarium sealer maybe? That and bathroom sealer seem pretty popular.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Wait till you try to buy a house. Estate agents are even worse.

My realtor was super duper, she was loving ON IT. And right now, in the US, you can't be dicking around as houses are selling day 1 or before even coming onto the market (although cooling down now since rates are going up a little). I was literally refreshing the MLS website daily to see if any new houses appeared and had to go see it same day, then submit an offer and hope you don't get outbid by a cash offer from an investor/bank assholes. 3rd time was the charm finally :f5:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I too got outbid on 3 houses for twats bidding 50 to 70 THOUSAND above the home report valuation, i.e. 50k to 70k CASH on top of the house price (~£300k houses). I.e. not only are they likely putting down 60k for a deposit or more, they're happy to throw another 70k on top to secure the house. loving mental. My 4th try, this time in the middle of loving nowhere, as the first bidder, finally won the deal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Was a lovely sunny day today, so I was out on Bob to the farm vending machine https://www.thorneybank.com/ , and then Tesco.

I was on my way back home, turning down the road at the local pub to get home, and on that street a woman had just gotten out of her car. She gave me the dirtiest, Karen-est look ever from 15m away as I was doing 20mph in 2nd.

How dare I ride a motorbike, interrupting her serenity. Shame on me.

So I took Bob to 5,000rpm and 60mph in 2nd all the way down that street.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Th’ ‘Orny Bank

:huh:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Th’ ‘Orny Bank

:huh:

Looks like a great place to buy supplies for cottaging. What's that? Oh, it's just spending some time in a cabin in the Canadian woods, I am unaware of any other regional definitions.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

So I took Bob to 5,000rpm and 60mph in 2nd all the way down that street.

Sounds like rather than die a hero you've lived long enough to see yourself become the villain.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

How come everybody talks about KLR650s and DR650s but nobody talks about XR650Ls?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super hard to get but easily the best of the three

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

How can they be hard to get if Honda is still selling them? They're up on the website and everything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk man I can't explain American stupidity, they don't sell them here!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought the XR650L wasn't the cool one and was just a dumb boring lump.