Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This seems like a really good excuse to take the drz all day everyday for everything. What's stopping you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My condolences, Jim. I forget its not 30 and clear everywhere. No way I would risk my bike if salt was all over. Did you at least take the life of the deer that so horribly inconvenienced you?

slavvy, that lady is CRAZY and you should absolutely take steps with your local police and explain what is going on. I mean, skulking about your home, following you, calling in false police reports? This is serious stuff.

Personally, I don't understand what makes people think its OK to get up in your face when you are on a bike. I've never seen anything like it, and I ride much more reserved than I ever did in cars. Either people are 100% enamored with you and super friendly or, in most cases, think you are some villain that they own and can scold and harass. As if this is in any way acceptable or sane. As if the normal social barriers no longer exist because you are not in a car.

People need to focus more on driving and using a turn signal once in a while, and less on being nosey uninformed idiots.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

nsaP posted:

Maybe she thinks you're cute and she's flirting.

MISSED CONNECTIONS- W4M that shy motorcycle guy:

Waited outside ur house today, but lost my nerve and drove away. To my happy surprised you followed me but you must have lost ur nerve 2 because you sped away. Saw u later but was 2 shy to look at you. Changed my mind and tried to catch up but a bus got between then you drove away so so fast when u noticed me. I keep calling the police hoping they will pass my message along, but all I get from them is that "they will talk to you". PLEASE LOVE ME.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've never heard of this. They will give twice the punishment just because it's a certain day?! Does this not even take into account that less people might be out that certain day so it's actually safer conditions, or that one day is the same as another day? That just seems crazy. Oh no, let's not hurt this special days feelings. It will know if we don't come down hard on anyone not respecting this special time period in a way that pleases ourselves only.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I prefer to lube my chain with the tears of others who look on in dismay.

Just kidding I lube it as much as I can I'm so terrified of another chain snap oh god. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

No the previous owner did an immaculate job and Coydog just peed on the chain every morning before riding.

Wait, urine isn't the correct lubricant? I thought that's why so many riders were men. That it was a convenience thing. Well, shoot...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Reading that, all I could think is reaching over and giving them a good shove before riding off. Run over your foot and not care AND hit your bike with the mirrors? The mentality is worse than the actions.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Everyone should just get whoever does the KTM commercials to do any and all bike scenes.

Content: I am really frustrated with myself for dropping my bike so often. By my count, couple mph or stopped, I've dropped the bike 5 times since the beginning of October. Seems like most people only drop twice. Of course, right after I get the shiny yoshimura installed this weekend, I slip the 5th time this morning. Forgot my entrance is always slippery and the tires are ice cold. OF COURSE it falls on the right side and scrapes the rivets/end of the exhaust.

I'm glad I got a solid used bike to do all this on, but it just sucks to be an above average klutz with this. my bike deserves better. Didn't seem like coredump ever dropped it. This is all avoidable stuff mostly.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
While you both have great advise I'm definitely going to remember and take to heart, I have to disappoint. This morning was the fault of my planning to rolls stop at the exit of the complex, and having a car come by out of a blind spot last second. So I was going 3 mph and gave the front a light push to come to a full stop instead. I didn't grab a bunch, just what would normally take to come to a light stop, but the front washed out and I was on the ground before I could blink. If I had planned to come to a full stop and used more rear brake I would have probably been OK. It was below freezing, and that area is always damp, but its gotta be my fault.

Then there was that time I forgot it couldn't stand on it's own and rolled it forward off the kickstand while focused on the rear wheel.

And the time I pulled off the road in the dark to help a stranded motorist, put both feet down, then felt nothing on the right side because there was a dip in the road I didn't see before. Went down.
(almost made this same snafu yesterday, but saved it.)

So really it's just being tired or distracted or dumb. Mostly that last one. I'm actually pretty decent on not putting my feet down early. I try to see how long I can go feet up when coming up to a light and stopping. About half the time I never have to put my feet down as long as I am creative.

I also have a lot to learn about how much of front or rear to use in what situation. I do pay dearly for my mistakes, though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm speechless and dumbfounded that this is a thing that could actually happen and that the supposed authorities don't even consider that she is full of poo poo and you are following the laws. Which it sounds like you are and have been. BUT OH OK YOU SHOULD JUST GO BUY A CAR BECAUSE THE POLICYMANS TOLD YA. For your own good. Child.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would have thought it would be CHEAPER bought in Korea locally. That sucks. Still, your local bike contact probably has a lead on a good price one.

My current gripe is that our apartment maintenance contractor walked off with my sv650 toolkit, 50 in rearset parts (that I've since replaced because I have to ride), and a sentimental value multitool that is now discontinued and expensive to find. This all happened earlier this month but I JUST NOW got in touch with a manager who seems concerned for my loss. Before now my calls were ignored.

She was really nice and asked me to send an email listing the missing items and links/prices for replacements in case they needed to go that route. I picked the least expensive option when reporting, but I still worry they will have sticker shock when they get this email. :(

I've been more than nice so far. I'm sure they just misunderstood and thought my toolkit was one of theirs in the rush. Thing is, if I'd gotten notified they would be in my apartment before they came by, I'd have cleared my gear from the work area and none of this would have happened.

The leatherman was given to me by one of the leatherman founders, too. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I see where you are coming from. It just doesn't make sense why that tool kit would have any value to anyone but me.

Jobchat- I've thought many times how I'd love to work something physical outdoors, then I remember how much like comfort. My loss, for sure.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Royal Nonesuch- Good point. I guess I just didn't think of it like that. They can die if they actually did.

Same for your idiot Xovaan. People who swerve at you, open doors, or otherwise deliberately legitimately endanger your life over some petty pride issue deserve a mountain of punishment. That is your life and your bike. Not some mean honk, angry words, or whatever else they might do to ruin your day. They probably don't even see it as an act of attempted manslaughter or whatever because they "just did it to scare".

Just got my bike back from 2.5 weeks of no riding, and pretty much no riding all of January. No sooner than 90 miles into my brand new woodcraft shift lever, two of the three tiny allen screws fell out. I JUST checked this stuff this evening. So now instead of riding I get to figure out whatever bullshit tiny martian screw they used and hopefully get one locally. I was going to loctite some other parts tomorrow, but this never seemed like it would be an issue. I'd expect this from a thumper but not this. I just want to ride can I not get a stretch of time where I can ride without having to replace whatever latest thing fell off or broke or wore out jesus.

The worst part is now my friend is all "wow you've had bad luck with that bike so far it's not been a good bike". NO NO NO. IT HAS. It's just all legitimate breaks or worn stuff, but it's been spaced perfectly so it's one right after another. I'm getting really fed up with driving the car.

edit: freedom powersports in Lawrenceville was gold in hunting down some screws that would get me running again. I've threadlocked the pertinent parts, and learned a good lesson with low cost and trouble.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 8, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bugdrvr posted:

Or just forget about it. Making out is fun. Dating someone at a job you plan to stay at is rarely any sort of good idea.

Lots of gold advice here on handle that, but really seriously this. It happened, whatever, unless she is "the one" and you plan to quit, just be cool about it. I'm sure she is fretting way harder than you on what occurred, and will welcome your discretion and level head.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Slavvy, I'm impressed at your ability not to lose your cool in that interaction. Reading it brought such rage at how obviously illogical and brainless the argument was. You live in some bizarre perfect storm of police power and prejudiced direction.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
YOUTHS. :argh: Does it come off easy, at least?

Some rear end in a top hat in my apartment complex just got a new harley somesuch a few weeks back. It has short straight pipes, and the engine is stroked or something. I've never heard a bike idle as loud or as bad as this. Louder than the straight pipe harley coredump showed me, while also sounding like a rolling drum of rocks. Like it's three beats a second, that slightly increases in frequency, before dropping down and starting over, loud as a machine gun.

This would be whatever, except that the guy is so proud of his ownership achievement that he let's the bike idle for ten minutes every time. I assume he is letting it get up to temp. He also let's it idle a few minutes every time he pulls in to park before turning it off. This happens at 6am, 10am, 2pm, 9pm, any time really. Long enough to ensure anyone who is sleeping or concentrating is fully awake or distracted. Of course, you can also loudly hear him stall the bike multiple times trying to get moving.

Typical lack of gear, half face helmet, occasional gearless pillion. I'd be comforted in knowing that he will wad the bike and himself soon and end my pain, but it's a harley. Each time it happens I'm not in a position to go out and speak to him about it. What is this, 1963? Who needs to idle their modern vehicle so long? I have a loudish pipe on my bike, but I'm courteous enough to start the bike and GTFO while keeping rpm low and quiet, and not rip it in residential areas after hours. This guy waits until its up to temp, then rips it out blasting music from his speakers.

Bike thieves should just target people like this who don't deserve their bike. I know I sound a bit like a resident of NZ, but this is ridiculous.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My state has no noise restrictions. Anything goes. I do find the idea of welding some 250r mufflers on it pretty hilarious. Definitely better than my urge to top up his oil to the brim in the dead of night. Or just give the bike a nice push on my way by.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yet another awesome comedy option. I've not been in a position to go over and speak with him yet when he is at the bike, but definitely plan to ASAP. Thing is, people in my area don't really care about the noise they make. The general feeling is that asking them to not make a huge amount of noise is the height of rudeness. Somehow. Like it's their right to muddy the waters for the rest of us. It is their right, of course, but that hardly makes it right.

Basically, if these people weren't huge dicks who didn't care about the nuisance they are, they wouldn't be a bother in the first place. Like me. I start and go. Nobody is waiting to hear my loud bike start and run. It is kind of related to blasting loud music in a quiet neighborhood. The idea comes to mind that "this song is so good, I just know everyone around me worships my choice and is basking in the glow of audio" . But most people grow out of this beyond their rear end in a top hat teen years. Maybe not most. Some. A few.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Where are you that you are still dealing with snow?

I hate it when I filter to the front of a light, and one or both cars decide to launch to deny me the opening. Even though I'm clearly sitting there in the middle in full view. Sure, I get it filtering is not quite kosher but it's not like I wait around when it goes green. Most of my focus is on getting moving the second it turns so that I don't hold anyone up.

Today, this BMW 5 series to the right of me launched just as I started moving, which spooked me because he was really close, which resulted in my snapping the clutch closed while rolling on the throttle faster. I completely botched it, and the front end really wanted to go to the sky. I shifted my weight forward so what happened instead was the front getting a half inch off, dropping back down, the engine hesitating for a millisecond, then shooting forward away from the pack like a bullet.

My fault I guess but it felt really clumsy and I wish people wouldn't act like I stepped all over their ego when I do that.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah that makes sense. The last time I was through there it was absurdly colder than the surroundong states and area. Still, it's May.

And yeah, I'm still not quite used to the power. I still get that feeling like cars are going to overtake me, then look back to see them almost out of sight. I'll focus more on staying smooth with the confidence that I'll come out ahead.

I'd give good money to see the look on that guys face when a thumper out paced him at his own game.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
First they came for the MRAPs, and I did not speak out because I did not own an MRAP.

Then they came for my red dirtbike, and there was no one left to speak for me.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Today is the second day in a row someone has snapped over without looking and driven me off of the road into the gutter. Yesterday I was lucky to get free when they passed before I hit a mailbox sticking out. The guy didn't even react, and actually lost speed so even my braking was matched and I had nowhere to go.

Today was some lady in a 7 series. Bus stopped in front of her and she just went from slowing behind it and snapping hard into my lane. Both days I had a car in front and in back, and couldn't go anywhere.

Needless to say, I'm still pretty furious, and wish I had broken the side mirror of yesterdays driver. At least the BMW lady gave me a "omg I'm so sorry" wave when I started going to town on her at the next light. Truck from yesterday? Lazy redneck slack jaw retard stare as I passed him on the other side.

How hard is it to just LOOK where you are moving your many ton death machine? HOW HARD?!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

There's a point where it's cooler to hide in your gear, I think it's like 90F or close to that according to some Iron Butt article I vaguely recall reading. Above that it's just hot whatever you do, but without gear the convection of the hot air moving over your skin just keeps warming you up.

For me there's a pretty small window where wearing no gear is even comfortable, temperature-wise - like 80f-90f. And at that point, the sun will probably be out and burning me to a crisp unless I re-apply sunscreen twice between gas stops so it's easier to just wear the gear.

I agree completely with this. So often do I think how sunburned I'd get without full coverage. It's really hot, esp at stops, even in my mesh. But whatever I deal with it and drink lots of water.

Thanks for all the psychic rider advice. I can tell I already have a good bit of that, which is fun, but clearly I need to add a few more things to the telepathy for my own safety. I get angry but, at the end of the day, I really have to keep an eye out for myself.

At least people are looking out of their windshields so far.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Winter may be coming, but the riding season around King's Landing lasts forever.

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a month, and the first time in my life I've literally fought to keep from spitting my coffee out.

Akion posted:

Sumo, Sportster/Bolt for when you are about to lose your license from all the tickets on the SuMO (or the cops are just looking for your SuMo), and a S1000RR for the track.

I find it so endearing that Sumo's are such guaranteed outlaws.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, these cyclists zoom along at 20-25 mph easy. If you are in a flat area, cruising at 20mph is nothing. Going down on a motorcycle or scooter at those speeds will completely mess you up. I don't know why they think it is different. It cannot be hard to design a well ventilated full face helmet when you don't have to account for speeds over 50mph.

Nobody would purchase it, though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does running actually ever work? Tons of bikers think they can just get away from anything. I'm most interested in the helmet being flung far away. Was the rider even wearing it? Was it strapped?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They do for pants and stuff, primarily. Belts also go on the opposite way. If you'd ever been in close proximity to a woman, you'd know this.

edit: The zipper itself is identical, you are correct. It's the flap and stuff that is switched.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I completely agree on this. My a* jacket fit like a glove, but everything else, including my sedici jacket, is so baggy. It's obviously made for fat people. I'll check out rs taichi, and will stick with dianese/a* until then. I get it there are a lot of rotund riders, but does it really have to be the majority? Why is this?

I guess "why go for a run when you can ride!".

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Getting ripped off by the insurance company. Bad luck to have a hard to find year. Bad luck to have a "trusted dealer" under GA law allowed to make a ballpark low ball assessment of the value of my bike. Extra bad luck that I can't find any recent sold 2003 models on ebay for proof of value, because it's some kind of special unicorn bike.

But hey! I can get an SV with a scrap engine for what they are going to give me so that's just great. And then I'll have to cover my own gear so there is that, too. I loved that bike, and now it looks like I won't be back on a bike at all for quite some time. I can't even find a KLR for under two grand right now, but some how my perfect second gen SV with under 30k is worth 1800 or, generously on their part, 2100.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Liberty mutual. Never ever ever ever ever get a policy with them. I've been looking to switch for years due to ridiculously high rates, and this seals the deal. They are nice enough in customer service, but the worst when it comes to taking care of you. Never again.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nsap, Thank you. I'm looking, but I'm just not finding.

MoraleHazard- They keep telling me that would be the responsibility of my renters insurance. I'm not gonna hit my renters over 600 of gear, and if they really don't cover it, I'm done with them. I'll get premium and send you the info. While I am not hopeful, your expertise and help is greatly appreciated.

I just want what's coming to me. I just want my fair share.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Akion, That picture is perfect. Somehow, the world is your sumo oyster. Except for that guy. "No, sir. The only paint shaker is right in this here engine!"

Rant: Today was the first day of classes and I got to sit in traffic with the rest of the cars, fight forever for a parking spot, and park in the sun. All on a beautiful day. Then I got to walk past all the pretty bikes in their special up close and shaded motorcycle parking area. I got to stealthily drool over the KLR and some others, thinking, "could I make one of those happen in the near future?". Like some cycle leper, dreaming of his long lost foot.

Of course, two of my joints, one being a finger, are still swollen and need constant painful rehab movement in the hopes I'll get full range of motion back.

I had a great performing bike that I loved and knew, a working body, and a full set of gear that I really liked. I had a plan to keep them for a few years. All gone and I didn't even get a say in the matter.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 19, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"YEAH. It's not that I don't have a helmet, but that I'm too cool to wear it. SEE?!"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I hear scooters are notoriously easy to "rescue".

I wish I had your luck VVVVVV enjoy it and go hog wild!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 2, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HotCanadianChick posted:

The one time I have wheelied a bike on the street was riding in the right lane with no cars in front of me but my lane was ending in about 100 yards, and at the front of the left lane was a riced out, lowered, body kitted Civic with gigantic fartcannon. I gave a little throttle to pull in front and the Civic revved his engine and dropped a gear and started pulling out in front so I couldn't pass him and get over. Faced with an imminently ending lane not really wanting to have to come to a panic stop to try and find a gap to merge over into, I responded by whacking open the throttle on a literbike that likely puts down more HP at the rear wheel than his car makes at the crank and wheeleing ahead of him and getting well in front of Civicbro with plenty of room to get over before my lane ended.

Why do so many bros in shittily body kitted Civics think they can out run a bike?

Clearly because of all of that phat aero, mang. It was designed in laboratories for SPEED (or on speed?).

That's a completely awesome and appropriate solution to that situation, too. Don't just show them you are faster, do it in one wheeled style.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So I just got back from picking up the KLR250 and I just gotta get it out of my system. The bike is great, I love it, I got it for 1500 and it has a lot of nice extras. Great.

But the owner must have fiddled with the aftermarket exhaust to get me information from it, and when he put it back on he installed it wrong, so it was sitting against the fender. I thought it looked off, but I had so much else going on i didnt even consider it. I SHOULD have, because I just got home and saw that the rear fender it was up against is melted all to gently caress. So there goes 100 bux to bike bandit and now my ugly bike is uglier.

On top of that, I guess the carbs are messed up? Even after warmed up, when I go to take the choke off it just slowly stalls. I noticed one of the two lines going from the throttle is out of its socket thing, so when I release it just kind of hangs there, instead of forcing the cable back in. Could this be a problem? Can I pull my carb out tomorrow and clean it without a carb rebuild kit? I don't want to wait days for one to arrive, and I have a whole free day tomorrow to do things.

On top of that, I can't kickstart it to save my soul. I did it once or twice, but no matter what combo of voodoo I do, It won't start for me. Two nice country dudes who were all over how cool my bike was volunteered to get it going again for me so I could make it home. I feel like the biggest ninny that I can't even kickstart my own 250. I tried to do the whole "just stand up and let your weight drop the kick start" but I guess my 157lb self isn't enough to do it.

Oh yeah and I dropped the bike trying to kick start it once, spraining my left foot something terrible.

loving love the bike itself, though. It's the bees knees. I'm just so ashamed of everything related to my involvement with it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to clean the carb tomorrow, then hone my technique. Good to know it's something I can pick up with practice.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

I'd turn the idle up a bit, run some seafoam though the tank, and give it the beans before taking the carb off.

I wish I had done that. I think I still might do the seafoam since my bike is idling too high all over. It has to be fouling the plug. I adjusted the valve clearances to be on the really loose end of spec, and while valve noise is louder now, they are in spec (to my very shoddy and confused knowledge), and the bike kicks over much easier. I think the high rpm is flooding the carb each time, so it still takes some kicks sometimes, but I can actually kick it now.

It's still an adventure getting it kick started each time, and I dearly wish I had an electric start, but I manage to get it started all on my own, which is satisfying. I think the valves were too tight, as the carb looked ok.

Razzled posted:

coydog come chill with me and ripface next weekend for the ducati test ride

Augh, I can't tell you how much I wish I could. I work weekends during the day. The sacrifices I make to pay for school and (now) bieks... :( I guess the good news is that I'll be able to go dirt riding on the weekdays when trails are empty and school is on break. :/

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
YES, without question. I timidly took the klr on some gravel and across some grass today, then off a curb and some other things at a friends house tonight, and now I want to hoon on every patch of non road that I see. It must be addictive. I can't wait to get in some actual off road.

I think a set of drz wheels would be much cheaper than a running dirtbike... but then there are "non running" dirtbikes all over craigslist occasionally that only need a carb clean and valve adjustment.

Speaking of, now that my valves are adjusted, the bike kicks over like a dream. I don't even need the kickstand down for it. Makes the whole experience more like a normal bike, and not like "oh god I have to start it now oh no this is going to be tiring and terrible". Gotta fix that disgusting sounding FMF exhaust asap, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My KLR was stolen last night, I didn't even have it a full two days.