Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks to someone for linking this thread in the other moto threads, now I have a more appropriate outlet for anecdotal experiences with dipshit cagers. Here's a fun one:

A few weeks ago I knocked on the window of some Tesla to tell its driver to get off her phone. Her response?

"It's on autopilot."

Here's another one:

The other day someone tried to race me from a stoplight. On foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ugh. I just had a really nice ride through the city ruined by some doofus cyclist. I had just started to turn right at a major intersection, pretty far right in the lane and angled for the turn, and he zoomed around my right side. We had words, and a few blocks later he (took off his covid mask and) spat at me. It took all my strength not to get off and beat him into a pulp right there in front of a street patio. I'm trying to remain an advocate for cyclists, but guys like that make me so goddamn mad.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oof. I had the rare 'situation you should accelerate out of' tonight. Turning left onto a multi-lane road, the two cars ahead of me both went wide and into the middle lane. Cool, I thought, I can turn into the correct lane and pass both of them reasonably. But the second car had a different idea. He must have thought the guy ahead of him wasn't getting up to speed quickly enough so he went to pass. On the left and without a signal. Without even looking to see me right next to his driver's side door. I laid on the horn and he kept coming over so I gunned it and it sure felt like a close call.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hoo boy. Had a scary one tonight.

I was behind two cars waiting to left turn onto River Street to get onto the Bayview extension, a popular speed demon road here in Toronto. When oncoming traffic cleared, the second car (immediately ahead of me) jumped the gun and made the left turn before the car ahead of them, scaring us all. At the next red light at Bayview, I (did something maybe not so bright and) pulled up next to them on the right to make a "WTF was that" gesture at them. Light turned green and I went ahead of them.

Next thing I knew, they crossed the double-yellow solid line, pulled up on me and swerved into me. I mean, no collision, but it sure felt like they were trying to kill me. I slowed, they brake checked me down to a stop. They got out of their car. Two sketchy, skinny dudes. I didn't have time to hop off and potentially defend myself before they were both menacing and threatening me. I just turned to the car behind and shouted "call the cops!" One of them, in a thick Middle Eastern accent responded "yeah call everybody bro, call gently caress HELICOPTER!" but as quick as it happened they dove back into their car and took off.

That had me real shaken, the entire ride home I was out of it until I saw a really cute puppy outside of a bar patio. Now I'm good.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's another cargo-cult thing - sports bikes always had high, rear-set pegs to let you put weight through them more easily, but 80s/90s Japanese bikes took this to a ridiculous extreme as tyre and suspension technology allowed far deeper lean angles, just as chassis design started to tend towards much wider bikes, meaning the only way you could stop the pegs grounding out would be to put them as high up as you could, which also made the "hanging off the side as far as you could" style of the time easier to pull off along with the fat tanks of the era.

The different Japanese manufacturers have widely-different ergonomics, don't they? It took me a bit to get used to but my Gixxer is actually surprisingly comfortable to ride and I don't feel like I'm going to blow my knees out from putting my toes on the pegs. But I've heard Yamaha sportbikes have waaay higher pegs, is this true?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 21, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

When I was 19 I had an '88 GSXR-400SP with this exact livery and I loved it, but my mechanic definitely did not. One of the carb floats getting pierced by something and sinking, causing it to die at idle (so I'd have to turn the idle up to like 3.5k and annoy everyone at stoplights). The fork seals were shot as well. And since it's a greybike my mechanic was pulling his hair out trying to source the parts. Not to mention the time someone made a left turn in front of me (not how you think; he was parked on the right side of the street) and she ended up leaking fuel and oil all over the road while I got in the guy's face and a witness separated us. I loved that bike so much though, right up until she got stolen out of my driveway in '07. :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

:jerkbag:

"i didnt gently caress my bike. i didnt cum on my bike. i didnt put my dick anywhere near my bike. Ive never done anything weird with my bikes."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Better tell the Navy.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is a dumb detail and I am dumb for starting it. Sorry goons.

right arm posted:

I still do an okay sign on occasion and it doesn’t make me a racist :D

The other day I pulled up next to a POC's car to compliment him on his unique rims and accidentally made the OK hand gesture, and I was mortified and disgusted with myself the whole way home.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is kangaroo leather just lighter than cow, or does it also have improved abrasion resistance?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've always heard of this happening but I'd never seen it until now. I was making some dinner for the week and I looked out my window just in time to see this guy get pulled over by a mounted cop.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well gently caress me running. I almost just got rear-ended by a (probably) drunk driver.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qgz64j1e0a1vdfl96.mp4

I was in the left lane at the SW corner of Bathurst and Dundas waiting to turn Northbound onto Bathurst when I heard an impact to my right - I'd never been that close to a collision so I thought it was a pallet falling off of the back of a truck or something, until the SUV directly next to me skidded forward and hit the minivan in front of it. I hopped off the bike and asked both drivers if they were OK, turned around and there were at least three guys trying to pull this dude out of the red car - he was clearly intoxicated and was trying to drive away. They said he had run the red at Euclid and almost hit a family with a stroller before the collision. I got on the horn with 911 and stuck around to give a statement.

If that rear end in a top hat had swerved to his left he would have absolutely wrecked me. Yeesh.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
*shrug* Toronto's all right. I mean I was born and raised here so I'm biased but it's a love/hate relationship. There are no really good roads anywhere in or near the city but I do get my jollies hitting my onramps on the DVP, and some short-lived fun from little corners and chicanes in downtown streets. The closest half-decent twisties are about an hour NW of the city, Forks of the Credit Road - I think someone else here said "yeah all four minutes of it are great," it's a very short ride. I meant to take a trip a few hours North to circumnavigate Lakes Rosseau and Muskoka this season but never got around to it; there are loads of nice roads in the Muskokas. My only other real gripe about Toronto is that we could be more of an actual 'music city', but even before covid things were bleak, with a lot of nice venues and bars closing due to NIMBY gentrification and other poo poo.

Thanks guys. Honestly I wasn't nearly as shaken up by it as I expected, in the moment. I was more concerned with getting on the phone with 911 and making sure the other drivers were OK. Some of the other witnesses were saying stuff like "I was hoping he wouldn't turn and hit you, you'd have been hosed" but it didn't really set in until later that yeah, considering how totalled the front end of his car was, I might have ended up on top of the taxi in front of me if he'd swerved.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Chris Knight posted:

TBH, one of my fave rides is coming down the DVP into the city when there's not much traffic around. Some nice sweeping turns and views of downtown can't be beat for that sort of thing.

True. I don't venture to Barrie (anywhere North of St. Clair is Barrie) often but I should give that a try, you're right that when it's empty the DVP can be quite the ride.

Tell me this is "just an exaggerated arm gesture" and not an outright swing at my face.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qh4wauOxju1vdfl96.mp4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slavvy posted:

If you randomly wobbled into my path without shoulder checking I'd be inclined to slap you in the mouth too.

That's a great way to get your rear end kicked, as this kid discovered a few blocks later.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, you gotta have ground game in the Cool Zone.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Let's stereotype lovely drivers. I started a similar thread in the Toronto LAN thread but I want to get more than just a local answer of who the worst driver is and what kind of car he's in, because I know you guys will have some fun perspectives. Particularly those outside of North America.

In my experience it's the Porsche SUVs, the Cayenne or whatever. There are definitely a lot of people who embody the BMW driver stereotype but both on foot and on two wheels I've encountered the most entitled and indignant attitudes from middle-aged women in Porsche SUVs. I'm starting to see a lot more of those Lambo SUV monstrosities too and they seem to behave the same. Tesla drivers are coming up in the ranks (did I tell you guys about the one woman who said "it's on auto-pilot" and went back to texting on her phone), but still haven't dethroned the Cayennes.

In terms of sheer aggression it's deffo guys in big lifted trucks or Jeeps, but overall it's the Porsche SUV crew.

Lamborghini drivers are dickheads, always, but I've not really had any issues with them aside from the fact that they're all painfully desperate for attention for their dime-a-dozen Ed-Hardy-trucker-hat overpriced tractors. Maybe it's a different story out in the suburbs but I avoid Mississauga like the plague that it is.

The chillest guys are always boomers driving old muscle. I imagine I wouldn't want to engage with them on politics, but I can appreciate their taste in cars and the way they handle it on the road.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Greg12 posted:

re: overtaking me in my lane

what's the problem here?

I'm on a single-track vehicle, they're on a single-track vehicle, and the lane is wide enough for a fire truck. Who cares?

We do it to cars all the time, after all.

"If I'm doing something wrong, it's OK because it's me. If you're doing something wrong it's a crime and you're an rear end in a top hat and I'll totally chain-whip you as you pass" seems to be a prevailing attitude among a lot of motorcyclists.

I mean it's contextual for sure. Strife's video shows some pretty reckless behaviour that would have startled and angered me too, but I've also been passed by other bikers weaving about lanes in a way that's no harm to anyone. But the way some people respond to content ITT, you'd think they were all-seeing paragons of road etiquette and not, you know, impotently-raging keyboard warriors. Have you ever lane filtered? Squeezed through a space in between two turning cars? Passed a cyclist in the same lane? I've got news for you: someone probably thinks you're an rear end in a top hat for it, and they might not even be wrong.

Razzled posted:

being not a dick is key, but just lol at getting mad at other bikers for speeding

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Lol at this from someone claiming to have assaulted a cyclist this week

I'm glad you brought it up because it seems to me that people ITT were dogpiling the wrong person. I'm not the keyboard tough guy who said this:

Slavvy posted:

If you randomly wobbled into my path without shoulder checking I'd be inclined to slap you in the mouth too.

Exactly what I mean by "all-seeing paragons of road etiquette." IDK how you can see that video, miss the shoulder check or the fact that I was clearly backing up to park when he passed, say "i totally would have slapped you for getting in my way" and not expect there to be consequences for your actions.

For the record, I didn't fight the guy. I was going to, but he backed down and apologized when confronted.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slavvy posted:

Just imagine being so inadequate that you lose your poo poo at some hapless spandex fuckboy over a microinfraction when you yourself are on a bloody motorcycle. What was it like before you got a bike, were you the guy always climbing out of his lifted pickup at stoplights?

Swinging at someone is not a microinfraction. I'm not sure how you guys do it in NZ but where I come from that's a pretty clear threat of violence. I've had people on all modes of transport do stupid poo poo like that - throw bottles, weaponize their vehicles, etc., and I'm not about to stand there and let some crustpunk on a stolen bike think he can do violence with impunity. You can keep saying what you "would have" done, though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You sure?

Slavvy posted:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Never said I wasn't an rear end in a top hat. I said I'm tired of letting people get away with threatening me without consequence. I get that Slavvy is a thread favourite here and I'm nobody, but you can't really deny that was a stupid toughguy thing to say.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lol I love it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Closest I've ever come to a collision today. SUV driver turned left from a side street in front of me. She looked like she was going to wait but nope. Fortunately, I've got tremendous brass balls, and I was already covering my brakes. I stopped a foot short of her gas cap, with my rear tire what felt like three feet in the air. When it settled, the bike fell over to the left but I managed to stop it from hitting the ground. All I could think to shout was "WOOOO!!!"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Holy gently caress it's cold. Wearing nitrile gloves underneath the leather ones doesn't help as much as I remembered.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Coydog posted:

Now I just wish helmets had room in them for proper speakers.

I've stopped using the speakers in my Sena 10C and instead use a pair of Shure in-ear Bluetooth buds (SE215s I think) when I want to listen to tunes. They can be a bit fussy to get a helmet over but once you do it properly they block out the wind nicely enough that you don't need to turn up loud.

Probably unwise to be listening to my Drum & Bass mixes while riding though.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 16, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This guy looks unkempt like TJ Miller and ever since someone first posted his pic I've been reading all the chat screencaps in his boisterous, self-important tone.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm not sure how I settled on getting a motorcycle as my first vehicle (I went through the usual teenage automotive dreams; tuned import, American muscle, I briefly really wanted a dune buggy for some reason) but it took far too much convincing and if my Dad hadn't ridden them in the 70s it may have never happened. Took a couple of spills but my folks were still pretty supportive. Now that I'm back in the saddle after a ten-year hiatus, riding a bike that is irresponsibly powerful, I couldn't scare my Mom if I tried.

Sagebrush posted:

if you want to murder someone in the USA the proper way is to do it with your car.

This is true here in Canada too, at least in Toronto we've had some drivers kill cyclists or pedestrians, getting off with a traffic citation if that. It's hosed.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Or deliberately drive over them while they're at a protest. I think I heard that's legal now.

This is horrifying though. Legal in at least two states now, isn't it?

In less awful thread content, I have to admit I didn't know what a dry clutch was until recently in one of the moto threads, and now that tambourine jingling is all I can hear every time some of the local Ducati guys stop at the light by my place.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well this loving sucks. GSX-R died on me today. I was en route to get my second vaccine dose and it stalled out and wouldn't start again. And the alarm and lights started to behave really strange, lighting up the alarm if I leave it turned on, like there's a short somewhere. I managed to bump start it and got it to a gas station, filled up and tried to bump start again... It fell over on me, which was drat embarrassing, but I got it to turn over. Took it down the highway hoping I could get some juice back into the battery, got it to my folks' place and it still won't start. :(

Just another straw on the camel's back of stressful episodes I didn't need to start this summer. I have to fix the mirrors and now... Whatever this is (hopefully just a dead battery but I fear it's the alternator), before the 26th so I can take my full M license course, or the license expires and it's back to square one. Either way, I have to sell the bike in the middle of July. :'(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Toe Rag posted:

What is the licensing structure that you can have GSX-R but are not fully licensed?

Ontario has a three-tier licensing system for most vehicles. If you don't complete the third tier and it expires, you have to start from scratch. This happened to me before, about 13 years ago when my second bike got stolen. I'm worried it's about to happen again because I can't get this one fixed in time to take the test.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks, I'm in the Beaches right now and I've got a tender. It looks like it's probably the alternator and it might have been toast for a few days now. Hopefully we can get enough of a charge into it that it'll get me to the shop when they open tomorrow.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for the input all re: alarms. To answer Jim Silly-Balls, it came with the alarm from the previous owner. I was pretty excited; the seller never advertised that it had an alarm but when he showed me the fob I was like "DEAL." Since last year's strange issues with some sort of short causing the hazards to go off whenever I engaged turn signals, I've been thinking of removing it. It's all moot anyway, since when my insurance comes up next month I have to sell it.

The question now becomes, do I go for a private sale to some sucker like me who thinks the alarm is a bonus? Or take a bit of a hit trading it into my buddy's shop for a more reasonable bike? I've been strongly considering a DRZ-400SM or an SV650, both significantly less crazy on insurance than this beast. I will miss it dearly but it's just untenable.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
fly, you fools

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Martytoof posted:

I just googled “dainese biker” and picked a random photo but it looks like I picked correctly :)

Here's a new one for ya

I call it 'Ride Home From Cottaging'

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure of the model, will check for you when I get home. I got them relatively cheap at the annual motorcycle expo near the airport - I'm sure you've been before but if you haven't, get down there, it's full of great gear deals and all sorts of hilarious biker-adjacent kitsch like switchblades and Da Share Z0ne shirts.

Strife posted:

Huh. I learned a new word today.

Oh yeah that was intentional. I gather there are a few UK goons ITT. A British friend enlightened me on the term last year when I inadvertently used it in conversation and I've been doing it intentionally ever since. Can't wait til the Drum & Bass scene starts up again so I can say it in front of some UK headliners.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I thought I hated selling things on the internet before. Now I'm trying to sell the GSX-R and I'm dealing with the dumbest and cheapest people alive.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some loving degen just tried to steal my bike. It was parked out front of my work and I heard the alarm go off, so I booked it out and almost caught him before he ditched it and jumped into a truck. The left side fairing is all hosed now, and I was already trying to sell it. :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
These were easily the dumbest bike thieves ever. It was at 9pm on a busy main street, they pulled off to a sidestreet right next to a packed patio, and when I rounded the corner chasing the guy, the truck didn't even have its tailgate down and my bike's alarm was still screaming. A couple of patrons hopped the patio to give chase as well, but he dumped the bike right in front of me and got into the truck just in time to get out of there. I'm very lucky to still have the bike, and I honestly don't know what I would have done if I'd been a few seconds faster and caught the guy.

Look how they massacred my boy :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In case you can't tell from my posting, I'm not very bright; the bike was not insured for theft or damage (what we call 'comprehensive' insurance in Canada), only for 'liability' (if you gently caress up someone else's ride). Cops said there was basically no point in pursuing 'attempted theft' and they're right.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Martytoof posted:

lol I pay $1400/year for comprehensive on the Ninja 650

I paid four times that for liability alone on the gixxer

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mulligan posted:

I’m going to live in Mississauga or whatever is called

There are a few decent roads around 'Sauga but most are short. The titular road, Mississauga Road, starts right at Lakeshore in Port Credit and has a couple of decent corners - also some boring straights where your view is nothing but McMansions on either side, and unfortunately unless you're riding late at night or very early in the morning it's also quite busy, so expect to get jammed up behind some SUV when you should be enjoying the corners. You can take Mississauga Road about a half hour North into Streetsville; it pretty much ends there but this is right about where I used to start blindly picking roads and found some decent ones mostly devoid of cars - Creditview Road is scenic because it follows the river for a little while. The most popular riding road in the area though is Forks of the Credit Road, which is further North and easier to access in a straight shot up Highway 10. It's got some very fun corners (including a very scary switchback) but it's all of ten minutes long - once you hit the small town with the cafe/ice cream shop, it's basically over.

Also, I regret to inform you that Mississauga sucks rear end in just about every way. Port Credit and Streetsville are picturesque, but the rest of it is benighted suburban hellscape.

In other ranty news (with a Canadian twist), I thought I had trouble with lowballing idiots before the bike was damaged in the attempted theft. Just spent a few minutes with a guy who offered $2000 (to my firm asking $4000, which I lowered by $1500 because of the cosmetic damage), he would not shut up about how I'm "not gonna get any more for it". Checked his FB profile and it's full of 'gently caress Trudeau', racist/homophobic memes, anti-vax stuff, and Punisher skulls. I told him "I don't sell to clowns" and blocked him.