Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I had the worst/best dream last night.

I dreamed that I was out riding with people and someone had let me ride their 690SMC. It was rad as hell and I was wheelie'ing everywhere and having a blast.

Then I woke up and nearly cried because I don't even have a bike right now, much less a kickin' rad KTM Sumo. I can't even get one in the states.

I have a credit card with a $4000 limit, good credit, why can't I just be like every other idiot American and just put myself in debt up to my eyeballs?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yeah, but theres like... nobody out there that makes decent leathers for my 6'4" 260# rear end.

:(

e: That isn't harley or a fetish store.

I've gotten down to 250 recently but :smith::hf::smith: sup buddy

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have slowly frittered away my bike savings away in personal loans. These people need to loving pay me.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When I was a wee lad my father and his buddy were out in the woods cutting and splitting firewood for the winter. We had rented one of those fancy hydraulic splitters and the solemn duty of taking care of the machine and operating the piston was assigned to me by my father, who made it very clear he wanted to keep all of his fingers.

Anyway, being 5 years old, and having such an awesomely powerful machine entrusted to me, I made sure to learn everything I could about it. My father cautioned me not to touch anything but the control devices because everything else was hot or liable to hurt me. Well, ever inquisitive, during a break (machine off) I started touching things with my hand, saying "That's not hot, that's not hot, that's not hot <touches muffler> OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :stonk:" Once it was ascertained that I had not suffered crippling injury I was berated by a muttering father and instructed to keep my hand in his icewater cup until he and his buddy finished filling the truck bed.

Since then my "burn reflex" reaction time has been nothing short of precognitive.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

As long as "manufacture" doesn't mean "cutting the sleeves off of", I should be good. Right?

Yeah uh if this is the case I've got a ton of old t-shirts that I wore the armpits out of that got converted to sleeveless because they were halfway off already.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ripoff posted:

That loving sucks, Coydog. Just out of curiosity, what security stuff were you using? Chain, disc locks, etc?

Also rumor has it you're in the Atlanta area. If you want, I can lend you a hammer drill (pretty sure it's here somewhere) and we can sink one of these motherfuckers in your parking lot. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kryptonite-stronghold-anchor

Make those dirty thieves work for the next bike. :getin:

They need some kind of scale for that photo. I was looking at it like it was the size of a keyring and then it stated "anchored with 5/8" bolts" and suddenly it got really big.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

builds character posted:

Someone needs to start making Buell Blast covers. I would buy one.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Chichevache posted:

When luxury cars try to race me I like to pull away one-handed while furiously masturbating in the direction of their vehicle. :jerkbag:

I would like to state for the record that when some white appliance car tried to race me off the line on the 500 this morning after I filtered forward, this technique worked magnificently and I heartily endorse it for amusing yourself, instead of becoming angry at some dumbass trying to kill you, and thusly becoming distracted and unfocused.

Really working to stay zen while riding and not dwelling on the transgressions of other motorists. Urban motorcycling is not the domain of the daydreamer.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I really want to support my local shops but goddammit it should not take an hour and a half to determine whether or not you can get a pinlock insert for an FG17 and then order it.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 17, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The whole time I'm sitting there I'm on Amazon staring at "$34.99 free 2-day shipping" and the local shop says "$37.61 and we need to do a bulk order" well you've got like thirty loving FG-17's on the wall and no inserts I think it's fantastically clear what the proper course of action is here.

I stepped out to smoke a cig before I punched a wall and when I came back the clerk was polishing my shield with a towel. Nice gesture, I thought, until I saw the bottle of Windex on the counter.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

I really want to support my local shops but goddammit it should not take an hour and a half to determine whether or not you can get a pinlock insert for an FG17 and then order it.

Alright I gotta come back to this. The guy who sold me my helmet and gear actually had a pinlock insert ordered for me after we talked about it during my helmet purchase. It was at the other location and when I called about it from the location i visited they told me it was in the Special Order box with my name on it.

Picked it up this morning and holy poo poo these things are magical. I never have to open my visor anymore due to fogging (but don't ever burp inside your helmet after spicy tacos at a stop light or god help you).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
8-hour Star Wars Saga Edition session on Sunday. Thousands of hours spent playing videogames. Band geek in HS.

But I mean I wrench on and race cars, own a bike, and own/shoot a few neat guns so I guess it balances out?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

But the Star Wars trilogy is only a little over 6 hours, what did you do for the rest of it?

Even nerdier :v: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saga_Edition

Wookiepedia posted:

Star Wars Saga Edition is the latest and final roleplaying game system released by Wizards of the Coast in 2007 with its production lasting until 2010.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anyone else ever notice that cars with those stupid baby on board signs in the window are also some of the most aggressive, not-paying-attention, cut-you-off-and-don't-give-a-gently caress cars on the road?

If anything those signs should be required to only be mounted on the inside of the front windshield or on the dash, facing the dipshit driver to remind them that they need to drive more carefully because of their own child onboard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01qkBQClKg

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

You're all making me nervous about listing my Ninjette. I'd sell it here if it wasn't in terrible shape.

I'm sure there are plenty of CA folks ready to make a terrible decision to your advantage

Edit: There it is

Chichevache posted:

:ninja:

.......hey buddy. I don't suppose you live in..... California?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVU-tum2heM

So I just watched this. It's equal parts snort-inducing and fun.

Fixed maybe

Edit: yup

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That sounds nice. Ask me about wiring harnesses wrapped in three different types of electrical tape.

Was it a Harley? Red/white/blue? :911:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coredump posted:

Consider the performance delta between cars and bikes. Even something pedestrian like a SV650 is going to be faster than 90% of traffic out there.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I went looking at what SV's do 0-60 and quarter mile. I can't find a reliable source yet but I'm seeing ranges of less than 4 seconds to 60 and 12 second quarter mile. SV's get recommended as a beginner's bike but that would be a pretty stout car to have the same performance. Not a car you would recommend to someone just learning to drive.

Having started on a Ninja 500, then having quite quickly jumped to an SV650, the fact that it's considered "pedestrian" scares the hell out of me and gives me a healthy respect for these machines.

I talked the bike game a long time before actually getting my license, using the "I'd get myself killed" bit. However, I was dead serious about it; in the last 8 years I've been in 8 accidents (one absolutely my fault, the rest unavoidable or only marginally avoidable), resulting in 6 totaled cars and one hospital visit. Granted I've been accident free for the past few years, kicked the habit of keeping scrapyards in business, but my friends and family think I'm completely insane and I don't disagree.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Professor Bling posted:

The girlfriend has decided that now, after I was approved for financing for a new bike, and after I took the MSF, is the perfect time to try the "it's me or the bike" card.

Literally waiting until I can actually achieve this childhood dream before trying to shut it down. Right at the cusp of it.

So gently caress her, I'm getting the goddamned bike.

"Sorry, I can't hear you over the RAW GAY HORSEPOWER OF MY MOTORCYCLE"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
nsaP is good people to me, I was in the people you share a road with thread or something, talking about scorching on-ramps in the Miata, and it was literally his post about taking the MSF that finally got me to do it. It was over a year before I actually stumbled into the circumstances that pushed me to buy a bike, but I'll not forget the person that helped me get into this nutso business of riding on two wheels. Which I haven't done in far too long because of work. Gonna ride in today though!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Shadowlz posted:

"sexiest man alive"
"effort post"
"We are now friends"

They are gonna fuk.

So how long has he been riding?

We don't know, he hasn't let Coydog up yet, but I'm thinking since it's been more than four hours Sexiest Man Alive should call a doctor.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

I have a lighter textile jacket for 3/4 seasons and a Transition 4 for winter, I never could get over the "But it's just mesh" thought when it comes to gear

I'm of the same opinion

RadioPassive posted:

When I bought my mesh jacket I commented to the clerk about not trusting its protection. He said, "oh here, I wrecked that exact jacket, this is how it does at about 90 mph on the track" and pulled up some of his crash photos on the store computer. Sold.

...but if I also saw these kinds of photos I might change my mind as well. Wonder what kind of track let him ride with mesh gear though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I marred the poo poo out of the wheels on the Ninja when I changed tires, but I wasn't using rim protectors or anything because I'm a dummy. Next time I have to do tires on it (probably never, as it's being sold ~soon~) I'll be sanding and repainting them. Other than not having a compressor to seat the beads, I was able to do both wheels with some soapy water, a prybar, and a pair of tire spoons in about 15 minutes per tire, but I did have a bit of experience going in to the ordeal.

Proper tools make it about 1000x easier though, you should do that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

In the scenario where I have enough money to not only afford proper tools but also a place to put them, I also have enough money to not give a poo poo about just having someone do it for me every time, so

I mean maybe if I get stupid rich somehow and end up having like half a dozen bikes.

Well I'm really thinking about three tire levers, rim protectors, and a bottle of tire spooge, not anything fancy like a manual stand or bubble balancer. That's like, $40? Or something near it, anyway.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
55mph at 1°C loving blows. Granted I'm in jeans because I'm waiting on my gear to get repaired but even with silks AND quilts my legs get cold FAST. Even the bike doesn't like it, I got it warmed up in the driveway to halfway on the gauge and within a quarter mile it was right back in the cold zone, needle just plummeted. Brand new thermostat too.

Silk glove liners hold up well, though. My mitts aren't exactly toasty but I still have good control and feel.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 10, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

builds character posted:

What kind of bike is it that the motor doesn't heat up when it's not even freezing? That sounds crazy to me. Also, you want wind resistance at that speed.

'08 Kawsaki Ninja 500R. It's always had a problem getting up to temp if you don't let it warm up, which is why one of the first things I did was throw a new thermostat at it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So sometime between last night and this morning my shifter return spring decided to break. Commuting was just a loving blast this morning. New bits from the 05+ SV's should be here on the 20th but the bike is still my only set of wheels. I'm interested in how much the shift feel is going to change, BARF and SVrider folks seem pretty pleased.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Soooo, do you have chunks of spring and/or spring boss floating in your crank case?

I really hope it's not floating, but it's quite likely laying in the bottom of the case. I'm not terribly concerned with it making its way into the spinny bits but watch me eat my words in the next couple days.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like I kinda want a supermoto down the line but I like the Husky 610 better than the 400SM. Is that okay?

No because the 701 exists

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I broke a brand-new chain brush cleaning the chain on the SV with it in gear.

I already did the incredibly stupid thing with a bicycle and came away with a mangled thumb, so I've learned that particular lesson :downs:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coydog posted:

Apparently you did not.

I did it that way a few times when I started out, but found it to be less hassle to just do things manually.

Oh I fuckin learned. I mean, I wasn't using my hand and a rag. $10 plastic chain brush? No biggie.

Edit: :nms: https://i.imgur.com/qPow9jo.png

The real dark spot is the void created when the sprocket punched into the nailbed of my thumb.

A year later I still have a daily reminder of why you don't do dumb poo poo with rags and spinny things: https://i.imgur.com/VZIsjBt.png

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 29, 2017

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nsaP posted:

I don't think the new AI mod ever comes here. If people refrain from the report buttan we should become self-governing.

Pretty sure he has a bike in his shop but it might belong to his roomiewife.

Gold visor chat: how baller does a gold visor look on a white helmet?

Edit: GIS doesn't have a lot of examples but I think this is an excellent idea.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 30, 2017

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

Decided to start changing my own tires.

Okay, two hours later I got the new rear tire mounted. Can't get the bead to set, it's midnight and I'm sure my neighbors have loved hearing the song of my compressor's people the last twenty minutes. I'll try again in the morning.

You DID take the core out of the stem, right?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Posted in wrong thread initially

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/6106450271.html

So uh, how hot is this bike likely to be?

Backstory: This thing showed up yesterday with a similar ad, but didn't mention doubling the price to go to the DMV to get the title. When my buddy who's shopping made the inquiry, "the guy who was actually selling the bike" hung up on him after calling from a different number from the one in the ad and then the ad went down.

Buddy has a work phone he's going to call from to try and set up a viewing. I'm going to go with him and see if we can't get a picture of the VIN plate and make a note of the address.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I don't mind sharing space with another rider (1s front/behind in a single lane), but me and my bro who I single-handedly brought into the motorcycle world still don't ride abreast because of the restrictions on maneuverability it imposes (gave him some tips, got him into the MSF, gave him some starter gear, lent and then sold him my bike).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

its all nice on rice posted:

It thought he was an experiential AI that's run amok.

I thought "AI" was short for "Artificial Intelligence" :confused:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I mean, I didn't check rates on my SV, but it was a $1500 trackbike with 22k miles; you just can't say no to that sort of thing.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Keket posted:

I occasionally have to do this when a landbarge/mister bmw tries filtering with his panniers infront of me.

That's Dr. BMW, DMD to you, peasant :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

New rubber day today!

Gotta wait for the parts store to open, I have misplaced my valve stem tool and cannot be bothered to tear the garage apart any longer since it's like $5.

Got the old tires off and the new tires on in less than 30 minutes. Took the new tires up the street to the free air hose my local Superlube keeps on, and both tires seated immediately. New cores in and both tires did not leak when filled to spec.

Everything was going to well that something HAD to go wrong.

Are these goddamn things made of fragilium or some poo poo? I swear I had just gotten everything aligned and was sliding the axle home when I slipped a bit and hear little *snapsnapsna-snap* and I pull this fucker out.

I'm so mad I don't even feel like lifting the tank to get it out. For whatever reason the coupling is under there instead of inside the cowl like on my Ninja500.

gently caress. It is SO GODDAMN NICE OUT TODAY. :mad:

Edit: At least it's just the rotor I don't even have to lift the tank I'm just that mad I didn't remember. Whatever. Amazon wants $30 but hey it'll be here Wednesday.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

tjones posted:

RIP buying a wedding ring, shotgun, and cheap miscellaneous house hold items at the same place.

Have you Heard the Word of our Lord and Saviour Wal-Mart?