Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
People are dicks. My thankfully limited experiences with close calls have all been the result of old-rear end people not paying attention. This is why I have to pay enough attention for everyone in the road at once.

This round's on me, fellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It IS actually safer to merge onto the highway at actual highway speeds. But I think that the only things most old people know about safety is to have a huge car and just mulishly pudsey about way under the speed limit.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I don't think that's limited to old people.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hey, that's not a bad idea; I should try that. Except that I'll end up with the one Craigslist guy who'll say "Oh, all right then; that sounds like fun! I'll take the parrot!"

And then I'll have to go out and get a loving parrot.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Motorcyclegear is a great site. I love that they try products on and give (what I assume are relatively) unbiased opinions with photos of themselves wearing the stuff. I've skipped on buying a couple pairs of gloves and "riding" boots because they mentioned the small amount of protection that the things provided.

Also, their prices are great. It's one of the only marketing emails that I click on every time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Chicago needs to have (possibly electric) rental scooters attached to the Divvy stations. I would use the hell out of that rear end.

E: I just realized, I don't mean like those mobility scooters or some like razor scooter with a battery. I meant like a 49cc Honda Metro or something, which you can rent and ride without an M endorsement, and possibly if they make an electric equivalent.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 7, 2014

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's a tree root.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I started riding after I already had 4 kids. My wife never strongly objected, but my mom was a different story.

She wanted me to teach her how to ride, and she did pretty well on her first lesson, actually.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

Your mom owns.

Yeah, she's pretty fun in her dotage. :keke:

My brother, who will officially graduate from medical school in a week or so, told me, "That is crazy! You're crazy." And then he went on to say, "That is so cool; you've wanted to do that since we were kids!"

Foreigners.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

M42 posted:

I wave at everyone, even scooters. That's right, dominos guy. I'm waving at you

Also an actual wave at little kids.

I love waving at little kids, especially if they point at me or wave first.

Scooters, I will usually give a big enthusiastic wave over my head like hiiiiiiiiiiii. I'm sure they love that. Yesterday I pulled up next to a cyclist (who was) in full lycra. I revved a bit and he looked over, and I nodded so he nodded back. Then I revved it a bit more, like "let's go!" He started laughing. But I smoked the poo poo out of him. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Safety Dance posted:

Son of a bitch I think I got popped by a speed camera tonight. Pulled away from an intersection, built some speed to get around a taxi, and then two brilliant world-ending flashes. If Chicago's going to start putting up speed cameras near me, driving a 100hp bike is going to get really old really fast.

There's one on my way home from work. I may or may not ride as quickly as possible past it every single day to see the two flashes. I have no license plate on the front of my bike, you see.

On the way to work, I drive 25 past the thing.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Man, my wife is 4'10.5" and she won't even get on the back.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Akion posted:

"You blended right in".

PUT YOUR GODDAMN PHONE AWAY

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ShaneB posted:

I got hit from behind at a stop sign. By someone going at least 20 miles per hour. So it could be worse, all things considered. All they had to do was look forward.

I was stopped at a light over by O'Hare and I heard yelling to my right, and this lady in an ML-class was having the loudest cell phone argument.

Lately whenever I ride I have the phrases "rubbing her eyes/rubbing her phone" stuck in my head.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ReelBigLizard posted:

All shops are bad, by the time you've heard of a good one, it's now poo poo.

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Eh, my local is shop's pretty good

It's now poo poo.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
"Manigale"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

M42 posted:

Sheeeeeeit, I forget, where do you live? Cause if it's not in constant-summer-cali, how the fuuuuck did you manage that

Winter may be coming, but the riding season around King's Landing lasts forever.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah but if your backup breaks down while you're wrenching on the original bike, then you've got a problem.

I think at least 3 bikes.

Sumo, Long-Distance and Fast/Urban.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
KLR KLR KLR

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah I don't understand the whole "bare face on the interstate" thing.

I rode around the Road America grounds with just a t-shirt and jeans, and then did the "sunset cruise" thing on the track that way because I didn't have time to go get my poo poo from my tent, but drat son. My face was all crusted with horizontal salt deposits from the tears streaming across my face after riding on the track at 30 mph plus with nothing on my face.

First time in my life I've ridden without a helmet, even in my alley and in parking lots. Even if you're not worried about your brain (I'm not from Wisconsin so IDK if that's a thing), bug guts. SO MANY GUTS

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Safety Dance posted:

Eh. It'd been about three years since my last eye exam and my prescription changed a little bit anyway. This pair is showing their age.

I don't know if you have a guy you like, but if you have your prescription in hand, you can get tons of glasses from zennioptical.com. I love that place. They do take a couple of weeks, but the most expensive pair I've gotten from them has been under $20. I think I have 5 pairs of glasses now, and this has turned into glasseschat! Yay!

How was your ride around the lake? IDK if you posted a writeup in another thread, but I did see that you passed out in a seedy motel for a while.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I am interested in this Facebook thing as well.

As an old man, I like to pretend I don't know what "Facebook" or "Vine" is, but I know.

I know.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Last time I went out to run an errand on my bike, my crew got stuck in traffic on the way to the bank, and I lost almost 8 seconds! I'm going to fire Enzo.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've had 2 cyclists pass me on the right (kerb side) at an intersection, like RIGHT when I was about to make a right turn. I would have turned right into them if the timing had been bad, and if I managed to stay upright, I would have kept on riding because gently caress those guys.

"gently caress those guys, your honor."

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Three things (which may or may not be criticisms of your riding because I can see scenarios where these might not have helped)

- Unless those cyclists were in a professional time trial you almost certainly overtook them pretty soon before the junction - depending on the relative speeds you should either have hung back behind them or been much more aware of them.
- When turning at an intersection you should be positioned such that it's nigh impossible for anyone to get up the inside of you. Not actually in the gutter but less than a shoulders-width from the edge of the road
- Lifesaver! Because even if you do those first two things right the cyclists could be utter, utter idiots who've just jumped out of a side street (or indeed are bombing along with pavement). Being in the right won't fix the damage to you or your bike.

No, both of the times of which I was thinking, I was already stopped at the intersection and they came from behind me. Part of the problem is that I don't look in my curb-side mirror before I turn and also I don't stop my bike right next to the curb, which is a good suggestion and I think I'm going to start doing that.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I always wear a helmet when mountain biking, because there's a much greater chance of falling. But after having kids, I started wearing a helmet when I wear my bicycle in the street as well. It protects me from head injuries when I'm riding, and from harassment by my wife.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The guy who wrote it out told me it was for "health and safety" reasons but that's bollocks, it's a naked money grab (£90! but it will be discounted to £50 if you pay up NOW NOW NOW!) that has no actual legal basis, it's actually an invoice for breaching the contract under which you park.

I wonder what the legal basis for that would be? Maybe that you partook of their services without the adequate payment? Although there is no way that they would charge you 90 quid to park. I know London is expensive, but that is exorbitant. The whole "breaking a contract" think is testicles unless you had prior business with them and signed something that had hilarious fine print.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I like my jackets metric because I don't want to have to go out and buy a bunch of new zippers and hoods and all that stuff.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've been married for over 14 years and I honestly could not tell you if my wife's coat/hoodie zippers were attached any differently than mine. Read into that what you will.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Voltage posted:

told me not to fight it

OMG Jack Bauer?!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Or maybe they don't want to be seen riding motorcycles lest they become even more hated than they already are.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
See, you guys don't understand how good it feels to be morally right. You can have your walking and your legs and your sex with the ladies.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Radbot posted:

I'd prefer to not eat catfood when I'm old, which is pretty much what's going to happen to you if you don't take advantage of investing when you're young.

It's not about having fun. Run a retirement calculator and see what you'll need to maintain a pretty basic $60k/yr lifestyle (combined incomes) for 20+ years in America, especially if literally anything happens to SS benefits and considering the depressed equity yield we're likely to see during our lifetimes.

I feel like we're living in one of Aesop's fables.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I love the helmet on the helmet lock attached to the bike. Just leave it in the garage, then.

I don't understand why you'd bring it with you but not wear it.

Sometimes when I was picking my son up from a sleepover or dropping my daughter off at school, I'd bungee their helmet to the seat when they weren't on the bike. But I'd be wearing my own drat helmet I tell you what.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Ah. It comes from people always saying, "Don't you have a helmet?" Now they can point to it and say, "Doy! It's right there, ya moron!"

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

El Jebus posted:

http://fieldnotesbrand.com/shop/

I have one of these for every vehicle I own. I keep it in the glovebox (or now my jacket), and I keep track of oil changes and everything else in it. Purchase date, gas fills, oil changes, brake service, etc. all goes into the book. I also use them in the shop to write down customer concerns and part numbers and... well, everything. Any notepad will do, but I like these.

Hipster notebooks?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I use a burnt piece of wood to scratch tally-marks onto my garage floor.

Elitists.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There's a hipster-rear end store in my neighborhood run by some tatted-up thirtysomethings that sells all kinds of recycled poo poo made from other poo poo (well duh). It's actually a nice place. They have these notebooks made from old Beverly Cleary and Hardy Boys paperbacks.

I'd get one of those just because I like to support my neighborhood and they seem pretty nice.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Your bike has great synergy, FYI. Let's circle back and roundtable. Assets and whatnot.

Yeah, mostly dudes like my bike. My wife is happy that it makes me happy, and as long as I don't hurt myself KOW she doesn't really care that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Bugdrvr posted:

The only women that have cared about my bike have also been riders so it wasn't going to gain any points or whatever.

Chicks that ride get points from me; why wouldn't dudes that ride get points from chicks that ride?

The only points that matter to dudes that ride should be chick points from chicks that ride pointing at dudes riding dudes.

Chicks and dudes: what are you gonna do?