Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

spankmeister posted:

check for Rifa caps in the power supply, they tend to go bang and let the magic smoke out.

thanks for the heads up. i have a feeling refurbishing this thing is going to wind up costing me some time. still, it's been sitting for 20 years and it's 36 years old, so the fact that i could get anything out of it with an hour of loving around is surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

iirc failed rifa filters can just be desoldered and the power supply will just start working again. they're there for reducing RF noise on the mains, so as long as your AC isn't total poo poo it'll be fine

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i've been working on a text viewer. it's web-based, multithreaded (web workers), streaming (a wasm xml parser) but my favourite bit is the minimap scrollbar thing

https://i.imgur.com/xtZmrXw.mp4

have a play yourself https://bigtxt.org/

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I cut some rocks today

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 21, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
cool rocks

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

that rocks

note that those are discord image links and they will vanish after a few hours. discord redid their hosting and you cant use them as a free image host any more, rip

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

i've been working on a text viewer. it's web-based, multithreaded (web workers), streaming (a wasm xml parser) but my favourite bit is the minimap scrollbar thing

https://i.imgur.com/xtZmrXw.mp4

have a play yourself https://bigtxt.org/

I really like this. Digital text viewing takes away a physical sense of "where" I am in the content, and this re-introduces it nicely.

I noticed CTRL-F to search doesn't work, why is that?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

iirc failed rifa filters can just be desoldered and the power supply will just start working again. they're there for reducing RF noise on the mains, so as long as your AC isn't total poo poo it'll be fine

this angers the neighborhood ham radio operator Yes i know we're a dying breed and nobody should care but we _can_ make the FCC confiscate taht power supply if we want to be super sweaty about it lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't worry jonny, i am respectful of the spectrum

this neighbourhood is full of senior citizens, one of them might own a ham radio

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Zamujasa posted:

that rocks

note that those are discord image links and they will vanish after a few hours. discord redid their hosting and you cant use them as a free image host any more, rip

well look while you can then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

don't worry jonny, i am respectful of the spectrum

this neighbourhood is full of senior citizens, one of them might own a ham radio

honestly the fastest growing demographic is trans furry security researchers

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

The Eyes Have It posted:

I really like this. Digital text viewing takes away a physical sense of "where" I am in the content, and this re-introduces it nicely.
thanks!

The Eyes Have It posted:

I noticed CTRL-F to search doesn't work, why is that?
for performance reasons it only renders the text that's visible so unfortunately any offscreen text just isn't there for the browser to CTRL-F search. every 60fps it adds and removes content (like google maps or react-window for browsing massive data sets).. so the browser does this as you scroll

those performance improvements are necessary but so is search so I'll have to make my own search index. argh. that's annoying but it comes with some benefits like how it could be better than native search, with proper full text searching (stemming etc.), and I guess it could display search results in the minimap

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i decided i'd see if the macintosh ii i got 20 years and three moves ago worked in any way.

it has a radius full page display card with a de-9 connector and i've never had anything i could connect to it. between that and the missing hard drive, i just let it sit.

i had to replace the two 1/2AA 3v cells on the board as they were long dead, but thankfully not leaking. in theory one of them is required for power on. it still didn't power on after replacing them, but i'm guessing one of the electrolytic caps in the power circuit is also too far gone. thankfully the jumpstart trick worked and it powered on.

using the pinout from a de-9 to hd-15 multisync adapter as a starting point, it bodged this poo poo together

and lo...

it boots off one of my system 6 disks. 8MB RAM!

the image is completely hosed, obviously, for a few reasons. there's no proper sense pin so it has no idea what resolution display it's connected to, it's a b/w display adapter but pins 1-3 which would normally be RGB all need to be connected or the video bios won't initialize properly. pin 1 is most of the image signal with luminance or something on 2 and 3. there's not much on the pinout for the de-9 version of the full page display connector, that i can find. thankfully the wfp2407hc will take just about anything and turn it into an image.

i'll keep loving around with it now that i know it boots. assuming i can find a way to get a proper image out of the fpd card, i'm going to grab a 50-pin scsi emulator and set this thing up with a/ux

this is very cool. i love seeing old macs working.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

my uncle had a mac ii and i remember playing sim earth on it back in the day. he also had a honda accord with the license plate "MAC II" lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

this is very cool. i love seeing old macs working.

i booted up the mac classic too, just to make sure it still works. it's still humming along.

the screen is getting a little jittery though so i think the deflection caps are probably shot, but it's not super noticeable. it's wild how responsive that thing is with 2mb ram and a 30-year old scsi disk

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

for performance reasons it only renders the text that's visible so unfortunately any offscreen text just isn't there for the browser to CTRL-F search.

Thanks for spelling it out, I get it.
It looks so much like just a big screen of text that I seamlessly expected it to work like one, hah

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

it's still very unsettling the first time it happens and you don't know about it. also they leave a mess you'd rather avoid cleaning up

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

i had to replace the two 1/2AA 3v cells on the board as they were long dead, but thankfully not leaking. in theory one of them is required for power on. it still didn't power on after replacing them, but i'm guessing one of the electrolytic caps in the power circuit is also too far gone.

almost certainly, and all the others too probably. better get them off before they destroy traces!

same with the ones in the power supply

an unaccelerated 8•24 video card should be inexpensive and give 1152×870 at 8bpp on most multisync LCDs

also you’ll need a 68851 PMMU to run A/UX (or NetBSD, or MacMach, or to use VM on System 7) if there’s not already one in there

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

honestly the fastest growing demographic is trans furry security researchers

good, ham radio needed a bit of diversity

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah it rules tbh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

almost certainly, and all the others too probably. better get them off before they destroy traces!

same with the ones in the power supply

an unaccelerated 8•24 video card should be inexpensive and give 1152×870 at 8bpp on most multisync LCDs

also you’ll need a 68851 PMMU to run A/UX (or NetBSD, or MacMach, or to use VM on System 7) if there’s not already one in there

the board looked pretty clean, and the fact that it would power on and boot with the jumpstart trick made me fairly confident this would be a simple refurb. i have a recap kit coming, along with some other parts.

on further inspection of the board, there are a lot of potentially broken traces. i'm now wondering if i'm going to be rebuilding half this thing with bus wire or if i've just wasted a bunch of money

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm bummed that i remembered about the ham license renewal poo poo just in time to be 3 days late to renew mine :negative:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like did it just expire? there's a 2 year grace period where you cant operate till you renew, but you can keep your call and dont have to retake

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
as far as i'm aware you can renew them for another 10 years at any time right up before two (three?) months before it expires, at which point you can't do poo poo about it until it actually expires

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

really gotta get on getting my ham license. preferably I'll be able to find an examiner around here who isn't some 80 year old peoples party voter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
online testing got real popular during pandemic and a lot of orgs continued it afterwards. can probably find a group that gives em via zoom

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i only got the technician one because i had no equipment or space; even now the best i have is a rabbit ears antenna in my apartment's window, which is good enough to get the local weather but not much else

i wonder if i still have my ham-it-up upconverter somewhere

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

apparently you can do exams at certain industry canada offices so that might be a good option

I'll probably go for the advanced (extra class equivalent) one. the basic class here covers both technician and general equivalent; if you get 80% or better on the exam you get the general equivalent, if you get any passing grade less than 80% you get a technician equivalent.

I can't jam a big fuckoff antenna on my apartment balcony or anything but might as well try to remember my "how to build a radio receiver" electronics poo poo and go for broke anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's totally fine. beyond some data beep boops HF is generally trash anyways