Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

QuantumPotato posted:

yeah, the ESP line is my go to these days for stupid poo poo. they're priced pretty close to the arduinos, but faster and usually have wifi and/or bluetooth. It's a little finicky to set up, but the fact that you can program them directly in the arduino environment is useful for hacking something together, with the large library support arduino has. But, if you want to get deeper into it, there's a handful of C compilers that will work with.

That big clock i've been working on uses the older ESP8266, simply because i had a few lying around. (although, i'm trying to design it to be MCU agnostic, since it's all serial communication anyway)

edit: how to set up the arduino ide to use ESP32 - https://randomnerdtutorials.com/installing-the-esp32-board-in-arduino-ide-windows-instructions/

yeah wow i need to look into these. sound perfect. arduino is the perfect amount of not complex to get running

thankyou for showing me these! exactly what I wanted. but a quick search shows me imma have to spend a bit of time trying to work out what’s what, a lot of selection, I have pretty simple needs - digital out on one pin

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

are there any raspberry pi type computer boards that are powered by ethernet? it doesn't need to be quite as fully featured, id rather it be cheap

e: hmm one of the usb zeros might be ok

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 1, 2021

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

PokeJoe posted:

are there any raspberry pi type computer boards that are powered by ethernet? it doesn't need to be quite as fully featured, id rather it be cheap

e: hmm one of the usb zeros might be ok

you can get "official" PoE hats for the PI (https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/poe-hat/) and there are a lot of PoE addons for most of the arduinos.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

genuinely dont remember what ive been doing
uhhh

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

electricity is expensive now so i've made myself a grafana dashboard that i can obsess over

i hosed up last night and fell asleep with a door open with -10C outside, oops
i also love the weewx front end for my cheap weather station and its ridiculous information overload

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

r u ready to WALK posted:

electricity is expensive now so i've made myself a grafana dashboard that i can obsess over

i also love the weewx front end for my cheap weather station and its ridiculous information overload

i sleep in a smart meter with my wife

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

r u ready to WALK posted:

that looks badass

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pile Of Garbage posted:

that looks badass

yeah I was gonna say

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Luigi Thirty posted:

rescued a TRS-80 Model II and disk expansion box from a garage a while back, finally got the parts needed to boot it after a keyboard popped up on ebay! no disks yet, just my gotek. works perfectly. it's got a 64K RAM expansion card!

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1465638984785276928?s=20

super duper awesome

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c itps s: rewriting the kernel of my hobby OS (which is a POS) for x86-84 instead of 32-bit x86. simplifies some poo poo, complicates some other poo poo, but it improves memory- and MMIO-bound performance significantly, and lets me ignore a bunch of legacy cruft that makes context switches more complicated and have more overhead

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pulled apart the keyboard on the Plus/4 and cleaned all the contacts in it with some contact cleaner and lube. It is now working perfectly, no need to press down hard on the keys for it to register a keystroke.

The disassembling process was made annoying by old adhesive cushion rubber strips hiding the shift lock key mechanism that requires desoldering and one of the screws.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Commodore loved those weird locking shift keys that need to be de-soldered every time you open the keyboard. They were in everything - the PET, VIC, C64, Plus/4, and multiple ones in the C128. Probably also in all their dumb failures like the C65 and Commodore 900 too.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

making things so dweebs on patreon will give me 3 bux a month

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

go to class hbag

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

go to class hbag

i am literally on the train to class

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sweevo posted:

Commodore loved those weird locking shift keys that need to be de-soldered every time you open the keyboard. They were in everything - the PET, VIC, C64, Plus/4, and multiple ones in the C128. Probably also in all their dumb failures like the C65 and Commodore 900 too.

Yeah, repairing my C128 keyboard was a complete pain in the arse.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yay my 3d printed bracket worked! only weird part was i had to get 5/8" bolts to attach the base to the quick release, i didn't bother designing a good size so it's kind of awkward.

it's technically cheaper than just buying one, but only technically. would have been less if i didn't go for stainless hardware.

edit: going to take it to go watch the sandhill cranes, my wife is a bit jittery so i'm hoping she'll get a good look at them with this.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 4, 2021

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Kazinsal posted:

c itps s: rewriting the kernel of my hobby OS (which is a POS) for x86-84 instead of 32-bit x86. simplifies some poo poo, complicates some other poo poo, but it improves memory- and MMIO-bound performance significantly, and lets me ignore a bunch of legacy cruft that makes context switches more complicated and have more overhead

How are you driving your hardware? I never switched to long mode on my abandoned project b/c it meant no more EZ mode bios console and disk access. I thought about switching over to the superIO serial port for the console, but wound up just shitcanning the whole thing.

Luigi Thirty posted:

rescued a TRS-80 Model II and disk expansion box from a garage a while back, finally got the parts needed to boot it after a keyboard popped up on ebay! no disks yet, just my gotek. works perfectly. it's got a 64K RAM expansion card!

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1465638984785276928?s=20

This is very cool.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

this is a metaballs project i've been working on that i call mega milk

https://i.imgur.com/d525ZWK.gifv

the optimization i have makes the edges not so smooth right now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
bet you could get funding for the project from Ridley Scott for his milk-powered androids

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

eschaton posted:

bet you could get funding for the project from Ridley Scott for his milk-powered androids

i have tried, but unfortunately it doesn't live up to ridley's standards of having the milk explode and spray violently everywhere

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eschaton posted:

for a time i thought maybe ridley scott had found out that machining coolant looks like milk and decided that's what should be circulating in an android, but it turns out he just thought of it on the fly on the set as a visual which might be more disturbing than blood

(the coolant thing: most are emulsions of oil in water, which look very much like milk because milk is also an emulsion of organic compounds in water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dCC8aLMwoI&t=200s)

e: that link qualifies as an istp, though it's not my istp

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

BobHoward posted:

for a time i thought maybe ridley scott had found out that machining coolant looks like milk and decided that's what should be circulating in an android, but it turns out he just thought of it on the fly on the set as a visual which might be more disturbing than blood

(the coolant thing: most are emulsions of oil in water, which look very much like milk because milk is also an emulsion of organic compounds in water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dCC8aLMwoI&t=200s)

i didn't know that about milk, and that video is really cool. had to watch other parts to see this genius at work. i wish the sped up video was the actual speed, because the faster robots do things the awesome'r

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Good Sphere posted:

i didn't know that about milk, and that video is really cool. had to watch other parts to see this genius at work. i wish the sped up video was the actual speed, because the faster robots do things the awesome'r

edge precision dude is awesome, legit a humble genius of metal

unfortunately he had to take a bunch of his best videos down because they covered him making really interesting parts in exotic materials (titanium, inconel) and he hadn't thought to clear it with his customers

these days he's asking permission first, but since few of them want to let him show much he's often forced to only show the making of fixtures he's going to use in the real job

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BobHoward posted:

edge precision dude is awesome, legit a humble genius of metal

unfortunately he had to take a bunch of his best videos down because they covered him making really interesting parts in exotic materials (titanium, inconel) and he hadn't thought to clear it with his customers

these days he's asking permission first, but since few of them want to let him show much he's often forced to only show the making of fixtures he's going to use in the real job

gently caress why does poo poo have to suck

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

The "white stuff" that comes out of androids in Alien movies is supposed to be reminiscent of semen.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have a TI-99/4a HOME COMPUTER complete with no peripherals, the incredibly cursed Bill Cosby sales brochure, and a TI Invaders cartridge. Instead of throwing it in a box in a closet for another few years, I'll just offer it to anyone here who will do something with it for the cost of shipping (maybe $30?)

Any takers?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GWBBQ posted:

I have a TI-99/4a HOME COMPUTER complete with no peripherals, the incredibly cursed Bill Cosby sales brochure, and a TI Invaders cartridge. Instead of throwing it in a box in a closet for another few years, I'll just offer it to anyone here who will do something with it for the cost of shipping (maybe $30?)

Any takers?

My TI99 is the later cursed version that can’t run third-party cartridges. Is that one an early or late version? http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/computers/ti99qi.html

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i started making a uhhhhh API
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987758

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964094

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag has pm'd me to let me know that the API is a spare time project and thus belongs here, and not in their blog thread. please make a note of it.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Can you please occasionally grade their project so it stops being a fun thing to do for them

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

My TI99 is the later cursed version that can’t run third-party cartridges. Is that one an early or late version? http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/computers/ti99qi.html
The one with the metal case, not the QI

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

baby's first ROM interpretation :q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFn9BDe_kZo

I used commented decompiled assembly language values to reconstruct some of the music tones in Super Mario Bros' underground theme. Note that some sounds that are playing back is not frequency data, and is unintended.

If you're interested in knowing how, I first convert the music data to decimal. The decimal values are indices from the frequency table, as long as the value is under 128 and not a value that goes beyond the size of the frequency table.. Get the hex value from the frequency for the given index as well as the next index. Put the two hex values together, which gives you four characters of hex. Convert it decimal, and use the equation:
frequency = 1789773 / ( ( decimalFreqValue + 1 ) * 16 )
1789773 represents the clock speed of the processor in NTSC converted from 1.789773 MHz.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I needed a printer cart near where the fiber comes into the house, and I discovered that you can just buy, like, shelves and drawers and poo poo for 19-inch racks, so I built this thing instead. Now all the sketchy consumer wi-fi equipment lives on a nice shelf instead of dangling out of disturbingly sticky power strips.

e: Posting that with the default SSID and key on it give me that unobscured license plate feeling.

I also bought these screws from McMaster. The hex key and a spare live in the drawer too. I can't fathom why anybody would want to use a #3 phillips instead. Or do what I usually do and use a #2 instead and wonder why the heads keep stripping.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 7, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh yeah, when i rebuilt my radio desk instead of loving around with building full wooden shelves or w/e, I just built two 12u height pine chassis boxes, bought two sets of rails and like eight shelves, mix of 1u and 2u. It's so much better.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Stack Machine, you’re giving me ideas, but my rack is a fricken mess, lol

i mean, this rack was filled and the area looked nice, a year ago. i don’t know how my poo poo became such a cluster being home during the pandemic

i never thought i would do this, but i’m considering selling off a lot of hardware soon

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 7, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do it, always nice to de-clutter and you can always re-buy stuff later (ive done this). im trying to shave my guitar/bass rig down as small as i can.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Good Sphere posted:

i never thought i would do this, but i’m considering selling off a lot of hardware soon

this is always a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
It's a good mindset. I love projects like this that started with a trashed space and ended with something almost tidy. I put a piece of pipe above the kitchen sink to hang pots and pans and it was the same story. Feels drat powerful to win back some shelf/counter/floor space.