Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

setup monitoring and a public status page for my Plex and associated infra so that if friends/family are having issues streaming they can browse over and check the status: https://status.darkstar1.net/. it's all setup via UptimeRobot which is a pretty neat service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for like the millionth time I’ve started remaking rod rocket except this time it’s called

beta orbiter

the story is the character “wakes up” (or comes into existence or whatever) and they just they know they need to find the orb to ponder

yes it’s a played out meme I think it’s funny

this actually has nothing to do with the gameplay, it’s just an excuse.

it’s a side scrolling rocket booster gravity game . i’ll post a video when I’ve done a bit more. it’s fun to work on.

I am thinking about trying something I’ve never done before, which is seeing if I can find another person to do it with me. but I nervous, what if it turns out the person sucks? or wants to drive it in a different direction than I want? but it’s perhaps a way to make sure something happens. assuming anyone is interested at all. maybe compromise is better than inaction

because, I’ve learnt something about myself which is that I can’t follow thru. but maybe if someone else was involved idk

regardless, I am also looking forward to the few moments where I excitedly buy a domain and create a trello and twitter account etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that sounds great but please. i beg you. change the name. i am biting my tongue here

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Echi battle your ADHD brain and finish crime commiter so I can loiter properly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I wanna go to the park after it closes at dusk dammit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

that sounds great but please. i beg you. change the name. i am biting my tongue here

lol this is exactly why I like it

PokeJoe posted:

Echi battle your ADHD brain and finish crime commiter so I can loiter properly

it’s too powerful of a force

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you have to find the orb so you can finally be an alpha

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if the name potentially comprises success I’ll concede and change it to sigma balls

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that doesn't sound like a concession at all but sure whatever makes u happy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

echinopsis posted:

I am thinking about trying something I’ve never done before, which is seeing if I can find another person to do it with me. but I nervous, what if it turns out the person sucks? or wants to drive it in a different direction than I want? but it’s perhaps a way to make sure something happens. assuming anyone is interested at all. maybe compromise is better than inaction

collaboration, when done properly, turns a slog into chilling out with mates, you just need to find the right person.

to verify, get to know them and then ask thyself The Secret Three Questions

1. do you like hanging out with them
2. do you feed off each other's excitement
3. would you feel bad if you let them down, and do they feel the same way with you

when i locked myself in a wizard tower i was concerned by similar thoughts as you. the purity of my vision. etc.

turns out though, all those things don't mean poo poo, because when you put the game in front of randos THOSE bozos are going to completely wreck your understanding of what the game even is. they will take you for a ride to Some Place Else and they aren't even on your team! loving doopy poopies are going to point out massive gaps in your genius and that is a good and cool thing and needs to be done early and often. in comparison, a partner is a stroll in the park compared to a tester.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah

it also requires finding a person who thinks your idea isn't total poo poo

imma keep it open in general.

I've always found this "genre" of game compelling, but also rare. also because I don't want to look for anyone else doing it in case I get a case of comparison is the theif of joy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

sex is pretty fun, i'm fairly certain you'll have a good time. best of luck

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

sex is pretty fun, i'm fairly certain you'll have a good time. best of luck

lol

https://giant.gfycat.com/NecessarySilkyGrunion.mp4

this is preliminary video of the action. I find the gameplay compelling. gently caress knows if anyone else will. it feels "satisfying" to drift around successfully

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

lol

this is preliminary video of the action. I find the gameplay compelling. gently caress knows if anyone else will. it feels "satisfying" to drift around successfully

gently caress that looks fun

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

an arcade version with a rotary encoder plus single button would be loving tits

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

lol

I like those kinds of games.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks to it being unreal engine, despite using NO textures whatsoever, and like literally about 100kb of meshes (so far anyway), the distributable will be like 250mb lmao

when there is a bit more to do i’ll share it and see if people enjoy it

spankmeister posted:

I like those kinds of games.

yeah there was this one I had on my amiga called r3 or something that heavily inspired this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

an arcade version with a rotary encoder plus single button would be loving tits

never thought to try it out with anything but keyboard but just gave it a shot with my xbox controller and it kinda works.. but yeah some kind of spinny controller would be the poo poo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
looks like you're piloting one of those scrubbing bubbles

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

collaboration, when done properly, turns a slog into chilling out with mates, you just need to find the right person.

to verify, get to know them and then ask thyself The Secret Three Questions

1. do you like hanging out with them
2. do you feed off each other's excitement
3. would you feel bad if you let them down, and do they feel the same way with you

when i locked myself in a wizard tower i was concerned by similar thoughts as you. the purity of my vision. etc.

turns out though, all those things don't mean poo poo, because when you put the game in front of randos THOSE bozos are going to completely wreck your understanding of what the game even is. they will take you for a ride to Some Place Else and they aren't even on your team! loving doopy poopies are going to point out massive gaps in your genius and that is a good and cool thing and needs to be done early and often. in comparison, a partner is a stroll in the park compared to a tester.

based on previous collaborative projects i would add

4. do they actually do stuff or just keep saying they're going to do stuff soon?

and in the case of shared coding projects

5. is their coding/commenting style compatible with your own, or are they/you willing to make adjustments?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

echinopsis posted:

it feels "satisfying" to drift around successfully

thread title? custom title?!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i just watched this the other day if you need more inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0yWkAs9YXc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

r u ready to WALK posted:

looks like Xpilot was a remake of that

Xpilot is pretty fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK posted:

classic

yeah i’ve been wondering about how to turn the mechanic into a game exactly, whether to have enemies and goals, or simply make it a speed running game to try to bronze copper or gold times, which tbh may be the best approach because it cuts the fluff. tomorrow is goal is to get a single
level working lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Zamujasa posted:

looks like you're piloting one of those scrubbing bubbles

they do the work so you don’t have toooooooooo

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

classic

yeah i’ve been wondering about how to turn the mechanic into a game exactly, whether to have enemies and goals, or simply make it a speed running game to try to bronze copper or gold times, which tbh may be the best approach because it cuts the fluff. tomorrow is goal is to get a single
level working lol

speed-run with increasingly difficult puzzles along the way could be fun. beacons or switches or something that toggle the state on one or more gates, etc

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

level gradually fills with that nice fog effect you did before and you have to get out before its too thick to see

multiple paths through a level and you have to work out the best route as it gradually fills with lava that blocks off certain parts

time trial where you have to do laps to open the exit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if for any reason anyone wants to race around in a level and also beta test the distributal here's a link

got it down to 198mb lol

https://mega.nz/folder/zRhwzI6b#EhhVHFel3-w30wvYtzhATg

when playing - arrows are main things, shift is extra boost, and r restarts level

alt-f4 to quit like any good game

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 28, 2022

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

echinopsis posted:

lol

really promising foundation for hot chocolate high velocity: the game

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’ve got a PDP-11/23 now and a VT340 graphics terminal so look out for bad posts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJ2y2qr5zM

It took far longer to make a timer than it should have, but it works well. And I have been playing with different zoom levels. makes for quite a different feel.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

if for any reason anyone wants to race around in a level and also beta test the distributal here's a link

got it down to 198mb lol

https://mega.nz/folder/zRhwzI6b#EhhVHFel3-w30wvYtzhATg

dang, no love in wine.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’ve got a PDP-11/23 now and a VT340 graphics terminal so look out for bad posts

hell yeah feed that DEC goodness right into my veins

I need to tear down my VAX, I think the power supply is going funky and might need a recapping

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

dang, no love in wine.

I've added a linux dist

no idea if it'll work because it was packaged and compiled on windows

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

neat. it manages to completely crash gnome on wayland/amd, but mostly works on x11/nvidia

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
incredible

I do have the graphics settings set to maximum. maybe that's it

decided to rename it to "thrustfactor" because I lack imagination

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

incredible

decided to rename it to "thrustfactor" because I lack imagination

name it

thrust me

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

yeah, i wasn't gonna say anything because i figured it was due to me being an edge case, but it's definitely a bit rough on the 3060 mobile at 3440x1440. smooths out if you zoom out though.

did you change something about perspective? walls seem a lot flatter when you go past them than they did in your earlier video. you don't really see bottom, edge, top as you go past, instead just seeing edge the whole way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

name it

thrust me