Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echi it does look cool. i implore you to actually finish one of your projects i know it's hard but even a single one will make you feel very good about yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's pretty satisfying to see one of your apps of games in the app store or on steam or w/e. even if it sells like poo poo you get a sense of accomplishment from actually completing the thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yes, a finished project is worth its weight in gold, especially if you plan to use it as resume fodder. one game that sells ten copies on the app store is better a dozen sitting in your projects folder

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

echi it does look cool. i implore you to actually finish one of your project

I can’t believe you’d attack me like this

PokeJoe posted:

it's pretty satisfying to see one of your apps of games in the app store or on steam or w/e. even if it sells like poo poo you get a sense of accomplishment from actually completing the thing

I do dream of a day like this

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
my idiot spare time project is talking to my minidisc recorder over serial

got the basics working, can read and write track names and disc titles, and control playback
also got a basic import/export for disc data to make burning new discs and naming tracks even less painful

here's my spaghetti code
https://github.com/longview/SonyMDRemote

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

I do dream of a day like this

the only person who can make it happen is you. you've made like 6 versions of this rocket game they all seem fun enough to dick around with. come up with a few gameplay gimmicks and churn out like 10 levels or something and call it a game. you can always just add more levels later if you're still having fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

the only person who can make it happen is you

:cry:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I posted a game to the app store that consists mostly of badly drawn farm animals and dick jokes, you can post the rocket game

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

my idiot spare time project is talking to my minidisc recorder over serial

gently caress yeah. my new receiver coming in tomorrow has ethernet and a full control/status restful API. i'm excited to do stupid poo poo with it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

minidisc is a neat format

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
my most cherished christmas tradition is making the end of year mix-minidisc

and I guess there's at least a few people who have automated recorders and printers so a surprising amount of small artists do limited MD releases these days
format of the future!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

haveblue posted:

I posted a game to the app store that consists mostly of badly drawn farm animals and dick jokes, you can post the rocket game

wait did you make hog crankers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

the only person who can make it happen is you.

what if a team of us snuck into echi's house at night and submitted it to the app store

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sheeps eleven

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

nice! the levels remind me of Exile for some reason :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvAmoTtwsY&t=40s

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
echi i haven't been watching closely but if what's happening is you've managed to shart out a game that people will buy and play and and enjoy in like a two week period, then a whole lot of yosposters who think they're not as pathetic as you are in for a deep, deep depression

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am trying to put a fart speaker in a stuffed animal. the kind with the squeeze pad to activate. I thought this would be easy to find on aliexpress but turns out “fart box” is one of those terms that you can’t believe you actually punched in to a search engine, and also it doesn’t return anything that is good

should I like call a digikey rep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

nice! the levels remind me of Exile for some reason :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvAmoTtwsY&t=40s

this drives home the point that I really need something like "art direction"

RokosCockatrice posted:

echi i haven't been watching closely but if what's happening is you've managed to shart out a game that people will buy and play and and enjoy in like a two week period, then a whole lot of yosposters who think they're not as pathetic as you are in for a deep, deep depression

this sure is some food for thought

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hed posted:

I am trying to put a fart speaker in a stuffed animal. the kind with the squeeze pad to activate. I thought this would be easy to find on aliexpress but turns out “fart box” is one of those terms that you can’t believe you actually punched in to a search engine, and also it doesn’t return anything that is good

should I like call a digikey rep

a friend of mine had a remote controlled fart box and he fuckin took it to church and placed it under a seat a few rows away. gently caress that was funny, trying so hard not to piss ourselves during a sermon while a fart sound occasionally happened.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What about something like this where you can just put whatever sound you want on it

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLoSppW

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

What about something like this where you can just put whatever sound you want on it

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLoSppW

or even something purpose built for six bux

https://bigdawgsgreetings.com/product/squeeze-stuffed-animal-sound-box-10-sec/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thank you for the fart box suggestions, ordering the field programmable speakers.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
field programmable gas array

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

field programmable gas array

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I spend a lot of time just doing drifts in this sandbox hellhole

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve made a device in the game that times you going around an object a number of times and also gives fastest laps

I am close to just accepting this alone as an alpha version and posting it. next up is working out how the heck you do that lol.

I’m hanging out at my mums right now guess I could research that right now

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
bust-a-thrust

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

I spend a lot of time just doing drifts in this sandbox hellhole

I love that it looks like a Project Orion craft. It should drop little nukes behind itself to create thrust

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ive never heard of that.. they do look similar, kinda stumpy lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I blew a bunch of cash on some cherry today to build a little plant case

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
incredible poo poo

I like how you finish things. inspirational

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i've been working for way too long on a hypercard-like thing called "decker"

it can be used for rapid prototyping, making presentations, or just messing around with 1-bit pixel art stuff. probably the neatest part is that it comes as a native app that is capable of compiling "decks" into a standalone self-executing html document that still includes all the editing tools, so it's easy to share stuff you make with it and try stuff out without having to install anything

the scripting language is also novel; aesthetically it's a lot like lua, but semantically it's a dynamic functional language a lot like q, with first-class tables and a query syntax

the project page is here if anyone wants to play with it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

it can be used for rapid prototyping, making presentations, or just messing around with 1-bit pixel art stuff. probably the neatest part is that it comes as a native app that is capable of compiling "decks" into a standalone self-executing html document that still includes all the editing tools, so it's easy to share stuff you make with it and try stuff out without having to install anything

the scripting language is also novel; aesthetically it's a lot like lua, but semantically it's a dynamic functional language a lot like q, with first-class tables and a query syntax

the project page is here if anyone wants to play with it

neat, hypercard is very cool, but one thing is cooler: first-class tables.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Internet Janitor posted:

eggcellent! :five:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that rules

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zamujasa posted:

that rules

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey, if Hypercard was good enough for Myst, its good enough for Chickens.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

someday i will finish a project as well

anyway i got a coleco adam so here's some homebrew i'm working on

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1588028188793372672?s=20&t=nrnskfdSf5muvVwb_XhNTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

badass, cool as heck