Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

echinopsis posted:

why those ones and not the 2013 ones?

I can't believe they're all te same filename

they end up in different folders in the system and the sxs config tells it where to find em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok. welp I'll need to make virtual machine with new install jus to check which one is correct

I'm gonna make a project.log post about my thig I think

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

echinopsis posted:

ok. welp I'll need to make virtual machine with new install jus to check which one is correct

I'm gonna make a project.log post about my thig I think

you can use depends to watch exactly what dlls get loaded!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo really? is that an app? then work backwards to work out what vcredist it came from!!! thanks

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

echinopsis posted:

oh poo poo really? is that an app? then work backwards to work out what vcredist it came from!!! thanks

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

not sure if this will do the trick

process explorer would probably do the heavy lifting as well, but really what should be happening is that windows should be loading a side-by-side configuration somehow, either an .xml that is in the same directory or something that is buried in your EXE or something that is human eradable that says exactly whats up

unless im misremembering i haven't done windows dev in forever

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
why is windows dev so terrible
how big is this stupid dll just distribute every single one in one of your million fuckin updates jfc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mido posted:

you can use depends

something something your post's

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ahmeni posted:

found yr problem

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

windows is p bad

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

theadder posted:

windows is p bad

actually, it is good

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

actually, it is good

!!!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mods, please

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Glorgnole posted:

actually, it is good

contrarian

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ahmeni posted:

how big is this stupid dll just distribute every single one in one of your million fuckin updates jfc

i cant apparently i need to distr the installer. apaprently most thigns do this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i cant apparently i need to distr the installer. apaprently most thigns do this

he means satya nadella

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to do a virtual windows install to test it. I also need to have the user install directx! so fuckin gay

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh and it seems that anything newer than 9.0c has to be done thoruhg windows update or some poo poo? gently caress

not having a lot of luck finding a dx11 web installer or whatever

e: wow so a brand new install of w7 requires an update of windows update to start using windows update and now i have to install sp1

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 13, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

DirectX 11.1 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1:

Platform Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (KB2670838)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks
although if that's the link I think it is, when I run it says it's not applicable

I did a dxdiag thing and dx11 is installed on it. I don't know if sp1 did that, but sp1 was a <10mb update it seems hosed up. it could be that the virtual video card simply cant do the poo poo it needs to? its an old vmware i am using

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh i'll just package the vcredist_2013 (because installing that by itself was enough to get rid of first error) and tell people they need sp1 to run it. gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyway I have made a project.log post about it. go and subscribe tia and post and poo poo. i'll still talk about my mental issues here but i will feel free to post more and I wanna keep it updated. i appreicated any support!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664580

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
project update: almost ready to hook it up to a real antenna and leave it running for a while

got the ATX power supply, then realized i forgot to get a ballast to keep it stable with low loads
spent about two hours fiddling with transistor-based loads before i noticed I'd connected the power-on line to the 5V instead of the adjacent ground on the connector, so it would power up then right down again when the 5V turned on

only power issue now is I need to wire up some more pairs to the transmitter, a single 16 AWG pair gets around 0.5V drop when transmitting at high power which is a bit too much, but it's far better than before at least
i might just try modding the power supply to slightly increase the output voltage, 14V would be ideal

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

i might just try modding the power supply to slightly increase the output voltage, 14V would be ideal

from what ive read this _should_ be trivial, usually like a tl431 or something on the feedback side with a divider that you can tweak, idk, but I havent had any luck. If you figure out out please holla b/c i'd love to have a spare ATX for backup that actually does proper 13.8.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
adding a 12V sense output would be nice too, surprising it's not in the spec actually

for now I've adjusted the receiver and fixed some antenna issues, i finally got around to wiring the receiver and transmitter together and did some basic field tests
near area range is about the same as my old VHF station, perhaps slightly better, there's a fair bit of loss in the RG-58 I'm using now, so RG-213 is absolutely called for.

improvized testing rig for sensitivity was my bladeRF sending a FM signal with a 30 dB dropper to the antenna, before i fixed some corrosion it wouldn't show up on the discriminator at all, some tuning and WD-40 brought it up to a reasonably nice signal

it's possible the helical filters on the receiver aren't perfectly tuned (i did that in january, long before the discriminator worked), so I'll have to bring the whole stack to work and do some proper tuning and check sensitivity with a RF signal generator, maybe next weekend
I also need to order some nicer antennas to go with the cabling, ones i have are mostly terrible for 70cm it turns out

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i'll still talk about my mental issues here

good good

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

some days it feels as if my brain is covered with ants

the other days, snakes

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
hey fellas i've been tooling on an idiot spare time project since april and i got far enough i slapped a 1.0 on it: https://github.com/drmonkeysee/CinyTest

i haven't touched c since college (like a dozen years ago so old) so i made this framework to play around with the latest c11 standard and shake off a little of the oop i've been doing my whole career. who's gonna find this useful? i dunno but i think it came out pretty all right.

the best part is you don't have to install vcredist to make it work!*

*because it won't compile on windows lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

some days it feels as if my brain is covered with ants

the other days, snakes

try to make it a kind of snake that will eat the ants, or the other way around

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I remembered I had some low noise in-line preamps from earlier this year, they're not too great with the discone (intermodulation due to several strong out of band transmitters) but combined with my old 8-dipole collinear stack antenna (10-12 dB gain compared with a standard whip) I was able to squeeze out some extra sensitivity from the receiver, probably 10-20 dB lower noise input referred noise floor now!
it's severely blocked whenever the transmitter keys up but it was never meant to run duplex without a cavity filter anyway so that's a big improvement

anyway, 290 was interested in ATX supply modding, im using a Corsair CX430M (cheapest modular I could find, 26A 12V rail), I highly recommend modular supplies for this type of modding since the modular cables can be soldered directly to equipment

there seems to be two ICs on the secondary side, a 14 pin supply monitor IC, PS229, which handles the current limiting, power good and shutdown, and a standard regulator to provide regulation feedback

no awards for guessing the regulator is an opto and a TL431

to mod this we need to change the regulation feedback resistors to run slightly higher, then modify the overvoltage-monitor to trip at slightly higher voltages (i wouldn't disable it for obvious reasons)
the TL431 is hooked up like in the app note figure 18, with the opto on the output, but they connect in the 5V and 3V3 lines to it as well so changes to the 12V doesn't severely affect the other rails

original value for the 12V sense input was 13k3, the new value is around 17-18k, I did a three-resistor network with a 1k pot over the middle to fine-tune the resistance, the values were 10k, 1k5 with the pot over and 6k8, this let me tune it up to 13.8V so maybe put a 10k in there to get more range, I can't null out cable loss now

the OVP/OCP circuit has to be modified, install a 470R/3k3 divider in series with the 12V sense inputs, then the important part is correcting the over current circuit, in my supply this was designed to have a 220mV drop over a series resistor into the OCP input, this voltage difference essentially sets the current limit when all the other parts are the same
I installed 22k/47k i parallel to get about 250mV drop, and then checked that it worked by shorting the output and checking that it shut down, use heavy gauge wire for that test of course (I used a piece of wire-wrapping wire that nearly melted before it cut out)

protips: the shutdown feature is on pin 2 in the PS229, shorting that to ground (pin 3) will disable any protection, useful for testing/welding

make absolutely sure that you're not gonna get anything above 16V out, you risk destroying both the caps and more importantly the monitor IC if you exceed that

if the protection trips, it's latched in the PS229 and powered from the 5V standby, disconnecting the mains and shorting the 5V standby saves time waiting for the caps to drain

all the resistors in the circuit are 0805 but 1206 parts will fit, forget about through hole, you'll just make a mess

e: due to cross regulation to the 5V rail there's a chance you'll trip the OVP on that if you go too high, so the OVP and OCP on the 5V will have to be modified in that case

e2: and the load regulation isn't very precise so it won't make a good battery charger for example, mine drops from 13.8 to 13.1 when I put a light load on it, but it seems to stay fairly close to that when loaded further

longview fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 14, 2014

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

anyway I have made a project.log post about it. go and subscribe tia and post and poo poo. i'll still talk about my mental issues here but i will feel free to post more and I wanna keep it updated. i appreicated any support!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664580

new sig lookin good echinopsis, southern hemi best hemi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks bro. it's a obnoxious to post often but u gotta represent if your out of your home country

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
hey yospals

gonna be (attempting) to build a robutt to fetch me a beer. starting off small (aka not opening the fridge and getting it, just off the ground or something) but hopefully eventually i can make it work.

no i have no experience with any of this poo poo

it's gonna own

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Glans Dillzig posted:

hey yospals

gonna be (attempting) to build a robutt to fetch me a beer. starting off small (aka not opening the fridge and getting it, just off the ground or something) but hopefully eventually i can make it work.

it's gonna own

lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Glans Dillzig posted:

hey yospals

it's gonna own

build a fridge-mounted beer launcher and have it zero in on an IR-tagged beanie to accurately deliver your beer at high velocity.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

build a system pf pneumatic beer bottle delivery pipes into your residence, with receptacles by every couch.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Glorgnole posted:

build a fridge-mounted beer launcher and have it zero in on an IR-tagged beanie to accurately deliver your beer at high velocity.

should use face detection + recognition instead so it can do away with the beanie and deliver appropriate beverages based on past user preferences

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

should use face detection + recognition instead so it can do away with the beanie and deliver appropriate beverages based on past user preferences

*idiot housemate enters kitchen*

*8 cans of miller high life at 15m/s delivered directly to the trachea*

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Glorgnole posted:

*idiot housemate enters kitchen*

*8 cans of miller high life at 15m/s delivered directly to the trachea*

go on

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

do this. this sounds like an accomplishable goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Stealth Like posted:

do this. this sounds like an accomplishable goal

make it tweet too