Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mido posted:

doc block I'm not talking about runtime performance or casting because the compiler would have made a choice whether it's right or wrong, the issue is that you shouldn't have a Lang or environment where numbers you write in your code get operated/coerced in unclear circumstances during compilation. I don't give a poo poo if you feel really sure what that number will end up as during compilation, you should be making a conscious typing decision

there's a ton of wins to specifying type as often as you can when making magic numbers

Yes, I understand what you mean. I don't think there's anything at all unclear about float foo = 3.0; or uint32_t bar = 640;.

My complaint re: C# was that methodThatExpectsAFloat(35.0); blows up because static typing and not wanting to implicitly cast from double to float (because the language designers decided that all floating-point literals should be interpreted as doubles), but at the same time methodThatExpectsAFloat(35); is totally OK and the C# compiler will happily cast it to a float with nary a warning.

edit: Like, I could understand the C# compiler seeing methodThatExpectsAFloat(35.0); and, the language designers having decided that floating-point literals will always be doubles, throwing a warning about an implicit cast potentially causing loss of precision, but throwing an error and quitting is just annoying. It's not like I'm trying to assign a float to an int without an explicit cast or something.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Doc Block posted:

Yes, I understand what you mean. I don't think there's anything at all unclear about float foo = 3.0; or uint32_t bar = 640;.

My complaint re: C# was that methodThatExpectsAFloat(35.0); blows up because static typing and not wanting to implicitly cast from double to float (because the language designers decided that all floating-point literals should be interpreted as doubles), but at the same time methodThatExpectsAFloat(35); is totally OK and the C# compiler will happily cast it to a float with nary a warning.

because it's a promotion

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
And yes, I understand that it's a promotion, but if you're gonna be a stickler about static typing then be a consistent stickler. Especially since a single-precision float can't cover an an int's whole range IIRC.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Doc Block posted:

And yes, I understand that it's a promotion, but if you're gonna be a stickler about static typing then be a consistent stickler. Especially since a single-precision float can't cover an an int's whole range IIRC.

i can be a stickler and still understand the philosophy of the compiler not making a fuss about a promotion that is actually completely harmless but you should still be specifying your types irregardless

but implicit promotion is accepted and understood in well defined langs like C# and Java

just loving back down

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

lmao irl at people who care about software this much

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Mido posted:

irregardless

double lmao

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

lmao irl at people who care about software this much

drat right

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

double lmao

ah poo poo

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mido posted:

just loving back down

never

I must defend my tired complainposting to the death

and also my caring about type safety but not going overboard on numeric literals when it's obvious and well defined what types they will be.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido is Shaggar

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

have you ever seen shaggar and Mido in the same room? no? didn't think so

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I'm Shaggars lost twin. the one who uses apple products and linuxes

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mido posted:

I'm Shaggars lost twin. the one who uses apple products and linuxes

same thing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
mido lives in the correct portland, whereas shaggar lives in bizarro portland. coincidence?????

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
shaggar portland is the actually cool portland because its not hyped to hell and back

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
east coast least coast

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
A Correct Opinion

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

shaggar portland is the actually cool portland because its not hyped to hell and back

i had some friends move from portland oregon to portland maine to work at some seafood restaurant and they said that while the owner gave them lots of cocaine the whole scene was pretty terrible and boring and also he was really creepy like they had probably been willingly sex trafficked but w/e they came back when it got cold

welp that is my portland to portland story

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Mido posted:

because it's a promotion

32 bit int to single precision float isnt a promotion because float mantissa only has 24 bits so like 2^31-1 is gonna lose low order bits, if c# compiler really doesnt complain then thats dumb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
u fags better start your own thread and get out of this shrine

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

syscall girl posted:

i had some friends move from portland oregon to portland maine to work at some seafood restaurant and they said that while the owner gave them lots of cocaine the whole scene was pretty terrible and boring and also he was really creepy like they had probably been willingly sex trafficked but w/e they came back when it got cold

welp that is my portland to portland story

*works in a tourist trap*

this place sucks!!!!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

echinopsis posted:

u fags better start your own thread and get out of this shrine

no u

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

never

I must defend my tired complainposting to the death

and also my caring about type safety but not going overboard on numeric literals when it's obvious and well defined what types they will be.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683044

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683044

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

*works in a tourist trap*

this place sucks!!!!

i think they hadn't properly considered the NE winter and it was a seasonal job so yeah

actually everyone should do something so stupid when they're 20

i should have gone with them but i wasn't as cute :byodame:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

syscall girl posted:

i think they hadn't properly considered the NE winter and it was a seasonal job so yeah

actually everyone should do something so stupid when they're 20

i should have gone with them but i wasn't as cute :byodame:

You post on something awful that's a given

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Panty Saluter posted:

shaggar portland is the actually cool portland because its not typed to hell and back

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

everyone is just a register or two, whats the big fuckin deal?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Lime posted:

32 bit int to single precision float isnt a promotion because float mantissa only has 24 bits so like 2^31-1 is gonna lose low order bits, if c# compiler really doesnt complain then thats dumb

I agree but I haven't stared at c#s spec about this so I need to inquire

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

it SHOULDNT but it supposedly is. generally speaking they don't do dumb things like that

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Please take your software internet slapfight to one of the programming threads.

Post the cool pics echopenis

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
post your idiot spare time user interfaces

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxrigger posted:

Please take your software internet slapfight to one of the programming threads.

Post the cool pics echopenis

ok so this is a messy as gently caress blueprint! often i give a biot of time to spread them out and tidy them up to make them clear, maybe add a comment
this one i just didnt care
so that is a function on a simple projectile. when my ship spawns it it then immediately calls this function on it and passes it all that information, with that information itll do something

action screen shot

the snag ray

firing a rocket. on the left you can see some grey icons? that is your inventory
there are 6 different things you can "get" and you can get multiple of them
you can jettison stuff if you were say full of rocks but found a bunch of valuables

this is "on base", and on base you can fuel up, repair, and buy and sell poo poo that you find. the prices change (but only do so on every other station when you land on one, you cant just wait out a change you have to go to and fro, spending gas
its a bit like drug wars, you might buy some illegal poo poo and sell it for more later

that might be a large game mechanic in a way, find poo poo, sell it, make money, buy better ship

that menu is by far going to be the most coimplicated thing i do in this and i know it looks bad now i am still working out how i am going to make it work better. i am having trouble with the built in 2d system so i've built my entire UI in the game itself (not just 3d icons on top of the level, my UI icons are in the level, get shadows from things etc) and its not GREAT because it seems sometimes it updates its location to the camera location but sometimes it seems it gets out of order and updates the prior frame and when moving fast it gives a jitttery effect which makes it feel like the game is lagging even if its not (because of this laggy effect in your peripheral vision

you can buy fuel or repair kits and use them on the fly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bananalogue posted:

post your idiot spare time user interfaces

a synthessider>???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whats the best way to capture a video to show of waht the game is like in person. fraps is a ok but 30 seconds isnt enough

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

use obs to record to file

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fraps is garbage for idiot clowns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool tip

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

whats the best way to capture a video to show of waht the game is like in person. fraps is a ok but 30 seconds isnt enough

if you have a core i5+ and a geforce 600+ series then you can use nvidia shadowplay, which does all the capturing and encoding right on the card with no cpu hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol NVIDIA gpu