Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

steve is dead, lol

:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Doc Block posted:

idiot iphone game spare time project update:

couldn't get the flames to look right when animated, so i threw that poo poo out and replaced them with cool particle effects instead

:vince: :w00t: :supaburn:

you should render that with a transparent background and send it to adult swim

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This isn't a project, but whats the cheapest way I can cut a hole in a desk for cables and plugs to fit through

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

with a hole saw

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
ok, stupid question:

lets say i have a monitor connected to a raspberry pi. the monitor is 10" 4:3 but i want to put it into an enclosure with a 9" 4:3 bezel. how do i make the raspberry pi... um... use less of the display? not just in x.org but in the console...

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Nelson MandEULA posted:

ok, stupid question:

lets say i have a monitor connected to a raspberry pi. the monitor is 10" 4:3 but i want to put it into an enclosure with a 9" 4:3 bezel. how do i make the raspberry pi... um... use less of the display? not just in x.org but in the console...

there's a config file that the pi used on boot, I believe you can force some video setting in it

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Mido posted:

there's a config file that the pi used on boot, I believe you can force some video setting in it

thanks! is it overscan that i'm looking for?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Nelson MandEULA posted:

thanks! is it overscan that i'm looking for?
overscan would probably work but that will scale the output. it should be fine for photos or videos but text and web pages might look like crap.

if there isn't another built-in way, I would try hacking and forcing the edid. you should be able to decrease the active pixels/lines and increase the front porch/back porch so the monitor sees the same timings. just make sure you have a way to recover if you can't get video.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
im making a json webservice that looks inside files for metadata so it does the obvious stuff like displaying exif if they uploaded a jpeg

but if you give it a PDF it also extracts every image (losslessly, i wrote a stream parser copying byte regions thing) and it'll look for any exif there too, and so it builds a tree of metadata if files contain files contain files

and if you give it an office file (just wordprocessor right now - doc(x), odt, wps lol) it will do the same, and also return information on track changes (who edited what, and when)

and the reason i'm making this is that i'm tracking lobby websites and finding that they're leaking a lot of information on who's probably funding them but for the time being i'm just collecting metadata

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Valeyard posted:

This isn't a project, but whats the cheapest way I can cut a hole in a desk for cables and plugs to fit through

do you have a drill you can borrow?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BONGHITZ posted:

do you have a drill you can borrow?

only a rusty hand crank one, so yeah ill need to go borrow one from someone then just buy one of those hole saw attachments mentioned i guess if they dont have any

or get this and do it by hand, but i think id still need the drill to give this room to manouver http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compass-Curves-Circles-Holes-Sil175/dp/B00CLAWPGE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416861207&sr=8-4&keywords=key+hole+saw

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

that's fine if you want to cut a hole 40cm wide, but you can't do tight turns with it. you need the hole saws that fit in a drill.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

sadus tipped me about bootstrap css and now my crappy bulletin board https://kyber.ninja looks a lot less crappy!

tomorrow I'll probs add some ajax poo poo to handle the up/downvoting. it's terrible but I'm having fun Learning A Thing.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
who doesn't have at least a crappy powered drill? it's something anyone past their first apartment should have, or at least have access to.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I give cordless drills as
wedding presents

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

im making a json webservice that looks inside files for metadata so it does the obvious stuff like displaying exif if they uploaded a jpeg

but if you give it a PDF it also extracts every image (losslessly, i wrote a stream parser copying byte regions thing) and it'll look for any exif there too, and so it builds a tree of metadata if files contain files contain files

and if you give it an office file (just wordprocessor right now - doc(x), odt, wps lol) it will do the same, and also return information on track changes (who edited what, and when)

and the reason i'm making this is that i'm tracking lobby websites and finding that they're leaking a lot of information on who's probably funding them but for the time being i'm just collecting metadata

post teh metadata

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i fixed my mouse. i got it like eh four, maybe five years ago now and the cord finally broke internally just in front of where it connects to the body. well im a big smarty pants and i opened it up and found the break and cut it apart and re-soldered the connections and sealed it all up again and that's a $100 mouse good to go for another 5 years probably with only 10 cents worth of solder and heat shrink

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i use a magic trackpad op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i will never call those anything but tragic macpad

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

retinal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
retANAL

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

came here to post this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
lol

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
any tips on discharging a crt?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Nelson MandEULA posted:

a screwdriver you don't mind having a couple black marks and melty spots on the shaft of works in my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbnFuVWTdk

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

kwinkles posted:

a screwdriver you don't mind having a couple black marks and melty spots on the shaft of works in my experience.

and then just hit it with a hammer to vent it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's a sunbox e7.

It's a dna30 squonker with replaceable panels so you can customize it.

Use any bottom fed atty so no dripping necessary.

I think they retail for ~400-450 for a bare bones model and there is currently a 6-7 month wait.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it a DDS for nicotine or something else

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Jonny 290 posted:

It's a sunbox e7.

It's a dna30 squonker with replaceable panels so you can customize it.

Use any bottom fed atty so no dripping necessary.

I think they retail for ~400-450 for a bare bones model and there is currently a 6-7 month wait.

that's cool, but vaping (well, vaping tobacco at least) is still utterly shameful.

i thought better of you jonny

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Nelson MandEULA posted:

that's cool, but vaping (well, vaping tobacco at least) is still utterly shameful.

i thought better of you jonny

he's been reposting these so it's a joke

i hope

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
hmmm. turns out that all the safety concerns about working with crts are basically unfounded...

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Nelson MandEULA posted:

kwinkles posted:

read first post as "discharging a cat"

read second post and got scared

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

vaping is still probably better than cigarettes

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
realistically, what's the cheapest i can expect to pay for a 9 inch vga display? the cheapest i can see is on ebay for £40 shipped, but it won't get here soon enough...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the lowest price you can find on aliexpress is probably the lowest price in the world, but the shipping will be a month or so

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
ok so lets say i have a 12v dc motor. when i push a momentary button, i want the motor to run for a set amount of time (let's say 15 seconds) and then turn off. if the motor is running and i push the button, i want it to stop.

that's all i want.

should i use an arduino for this, or could i use something like a 555?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
keeping in mind that i'm super lazy and know next to nothing about electronics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes you can use a 555 in monostable mode (also called "one-shot" mode) to create a pulse of any length when you press a button once. you calculate the appropriate resistor and capacitor to make the pulse you want (look up 555 monostable) and wire them up and connect the circuit to a mosfet or relay or whatever and connect that to the motor. the disadvantage of doing it this way is that if your pulse is 15 seconds, you need to wait at least 15 seconds after it stops before you can trigger it again.

whenever someone says "555" and they aren't talking about specifically leaning transistor logic i usually go "attiny85" because it costs about 95 cents to a 555's 75 cents but is infinitely more useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I played a Monaco GP game this week and it's amazing what they figured out they could do with TTL in 1980. color graphics! scrolling backgrounds! enemies that bounce between one side of the screen and the other! :supaburn: