Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
*Zombocom voice*

With plasma... you can do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
does anyone even make plasma screens anymore? mine is 10+ years old and is noticeably dimmer than it used to be, but goddamn i love the colour reproduction and black levels on that thing.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Plasma was replaced by OLED in the high contrast emissive screen game at some point in the past decade.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

still rockin my 61" DLP rear proj samsung w/ :pcgaming: LED light engine :pcgaming:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

does anyone even make plasma screens anymore? mine is 10+ years old and is noticeably dimmer than it used to be, but goddamn i love the colour reproduction and black levels on that thing.

no, the last market holdout was china and they stopped a few years ago. oled ate their lunch.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

TheGoonspiracist posted:

No regrets in mounting the 50 inch plasma sideways. Retroarch and vertical Switch games look beautiful on it.

fix that overscan... smh...

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

plasma also makes HAM nerds angry because they produce a ton of RF noise due to the high voltage nature of the displays

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the old ones are noisy but newer stuff is pretty chill

big problem now is everybody's $3 laptop wall warts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

peepsalot posted:

still rockin my 61" DLP rear proj samsung w/ :pcgaming: LED light engine :pcgaming:

I never understood why you woul want such a massive honking beast of a tv in your room.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
most ppl with a 61" tv in the US live in more than a room? idk.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I think this model was like $5k in 2007 but
It was 25 bux from FB marketplace.

I think I spent about 40 bux on wheels, the stainless steel channeling and assorted bolts. I got lucky with the tv stand as it was on the sidewalk by my place and was stout enough to let gravity hold everything together.
Thing is surprisingly more balanced then the old TV/vhs carts from high school.

I've decided to call it The Monolith.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

most ppl with a 61" tv in the US live in more than a room? idk.

Still it's just so goddamn massive .

But perhaps those are my dainty European sensibilities being worried about trivial things like ~aesthetics~ and not about watching The Big Game with my friends on a massive screen.

fwiw I own a 55" oled so it's not the screen size that I'm on about, but the sheer volume of rear projection tv's.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
They're still big but the DLP ones are at least somewhat smaller than the ridiculously huge CRT rear-projection TVs.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

spankmeister posted:

I never understood why you woul want such a massive honking beast of a tv in your room.
its for a massive honkin room i guess. my typical viewing position is sitting on a couch like 14ft away from the screen fwiw
that's across the short edge of the room, i used to have it longways btwn couch and tv.

and 71lbs ain't that much mass :colbert:
pretty sure the last CRT I owned (32" maybe?) weighed twice this thing, almost broke my back and my foot trying to move that one myself.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

spankmeister posted:

fwiw I own a 55" oled so it's not the screen size that I'm on about, but the sheer volume of rear projection tv's.
oh... well its like 15" deep, not that bad imo

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-XvYfxtWUFVt/p_30561A750/Samsung-HL61A750.html

e: also

quote:

The Big Game with my friends
lol as if

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 8, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

imagine a goon having friends lol

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
was it this thread where someone discovered cool amberpos style modern mono chrome screens like 9”? or did I just make that up? anyway I’ve got a project idea in mind and something like that would be very cool

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

vodkat posted:

was it this thread where someone discovered cool amberpos style modern mono chrome screens like 9”? or did I just make that up? anyway I’ve got a project idea in mind and something like that would be very cool

do you mean the russian one that sagebrush has

Sagebrush posted:

i know kwinkles beat me to it but i got my MC6205 USSR display working today

or rather i managed to get it powered up and displaying junk data. the thing requires 26 different power and ground connections just to get to this point lol. but it looks amazing and i am working towards getting the data protocol worked out. i think ima build a backpack that makes it plug into the wall and have wifi

(i know it's upside down, dumb russians put the connector on the bottom)

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
that is also very cool, but I was thinking of one that was like a modern lcd that maybe also sagebrush moded to be a miter bike screen???

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Can anyone recommend a decent budget scope? It used to be all rigol all day, but now there's Siglent and Uni-T and Owon and whatnot.

I would like it to have 4 channels, some serial protocol decoding, at least 100MHz and it would be nice if it was hackable to unlock features.

A lot of the reviews online are biased imo because the scopes will have been provided by the mfg.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

vodkat posted:

that is also very cool, but I was thinking of one that was like a modern lcd that maybe also sagebrush moded to be a miter bike screen???

oh yeah i remember it now. youll have to dig further back in the thread to find the model of the part in question, but i think he said he had to special order it from the mfg

Sagebrush posted:

crosspost from the cyberpunk thread

p stoked about the aesthetic of this thing

not quite as stoked about the readability in daytime. you can see it, but OLEDs aren't really full-sunlight-readable yet. you have to squint too much -- i want it 100% glanceable for safety. looking into reverse-mode FSTN LCD for a beta version.

on the plus side all of the code and hardware that's implemented is now working correctly. in like 600 miles of test riding i've seen one glitch. works beautifully up to redline and to 95mph indicated. solid

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
modern tv marketing be like

|
|___
|___\
|____\

tv is 1.25” thick!! (at its thinnest point)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
junk in the trunk

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Did some work on my old Apple //e Platinum today. Recapped the PSU, tested the DuoDisk drive unit and gave the heads a clean on it (seems to be working fine) and installed a Booti card.

The Booti card allows most disk images for the // series to be run off an USB stick drive. There's some stuff it can't run, but with my lack of knowledge on OSes for the // series, I get confused with ProDOS and DOS 3.3 stuff.

All in all it is all working fine. Happy the Applecolor monitor is working, it is a rare thing in Australia. Even the analogue joystick I got this month works fine with it, even though in one section of the cable it has been cut apart and there's bare wires.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my TMS34010 knowledge is finally useful

the source code for a bunch of Midway arcade games is on GitHub now

I spent the evening fixing NARC’s tree and getting it to play nice with my TI toolchain and was rewarded with a working set of program ROMs (minus compressed graphics I’m still working on that)

I also hacked the high score board to say trans rights because why not

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1380032821213995012?s=20

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
That owns bones

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

gonna buy another external SSD for my pi so i can shove more legally obtained media onto it
also briefly entertained the idea of tossing it in a chilled vat of mineral oil so i can also use it to transcode my movies to webms to save space but im still not sure on that
im also going to buy a gigabit ethernet adapter for it

and im also considering making a lovely little DOS that does barely anything just for the e-peen

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i think i'm gonna abandon all my dumbass transcoding adventures and just buy a goddamn synology

it's amazing how much cheaper it is to solve some problems with money

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL webm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

psiox posted:

i think i'm gonna abandon all my dumbass transcoding adventures and just buy a goddamn synology

it's amazing how much cheaper it is to solve some problems with money

yes join ussss

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Recommend me a 4-bay nas that can run plex with transcoding, and sonarr and whatnot to download linux ISO's with please.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ds920+ with the celeron. bump the ram to 12 gigs (comes with 1 slot of 4g, takes sodimms) and put a couple 256 SSDs in the m.2 slots for a cache layer to make your time machine backups fly, too.

note that you'll need a plex pass for quicksync support but it'll do it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I stuck a Proliant in my spare bedroom OP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one may gently caress around with any number of janky decommissioned servers for their VMs and dockers and whatever horseshit, but the most yospos take is to leave your actual network storage to trained professional products that have no fuckery or chance of you zeroing out 9t of anime with the wrong mdadm command

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Jonny for the rec.

I have an old cobbled together sever that runs FreeNAS with ZFS and I haven't turned it on in at least two years because it's a hassle to janitor. It has 2 4tb drives in mirror mode. I'm going to get the new nas and put 2 12TB drives in there and add the two 4TB ones.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah it’s a decommissioned HP that I crammed a gazillion hard drives in and have running OpenBSD and sharing /var/anime on my home network

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i got told they take up less disk space than mp4s lmao
the drive all my movies n poo poo are on is only 250gb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
h.265 is good for file size. dont do webm

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

You know what's even better for file size? The power of IMAGINATION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

ds920+ with the celeron. bump the ram to 12 gigs (comes with 1 slot of 4g, takes sodimms) and put a couple 256 SSDs in the m.2 slots for a cache layer to make your time machine backups fly, too.

note that you'll need a plex pass for quicksync support but it'll do it

great project