Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i finished this thing last night

you can look at it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
im not talkin on stream?

I probably should get an audio cable and get line in workin

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I imagine the 96k compression on my audio is probably not helping either

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got a dji phantom 2 its really cool. I have 8 minutes of jerky footage and me scaring horses but I don't think anyone wants to see that (also youtube is a bad site for uploading this stuff until i figure out how to get it to a minimum level of hosed when converting it_

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is rhino 3d easier than google sketchup (I guess they can both make stls in the end)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
im makin a 250 mini quad

ill post pics later.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
there was a twitter feed for the yostop too btw

also i sorta finished this

next im going to turn a marvel super heroes into a progear no arashi

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

hwo fuckin awesome is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBPBRtZwNPY
its using particle effects as a "paint brush" on 3d models. I'm jus fuckin around with the trial you can do some cool poo poo

ahhh gently caress that physics based corrosion simulation

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

yeah check this poo poo out (slow loadin pic from imguyr)

the first one i completely painted it a matte black (thats the default mesh and the default background)

used a particle brush with a medium size and the "sand storm" preset to paint pink

used the "rain" present and a smaller brush to paint the rain blue

i mean yeah some fiddling with paramters but that was 3 steps. a single "stroke" (holding down mouse for seconds) each between each

neato. such a poor artist can produce something that looks decent so easy

your space marine went to a color run

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 18, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

what's that

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cube%2Bstar

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Beautiful drop shadows

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My mini quad is mostly done The mounting options for the mobius on that frame were kinda sparse, so I made/remixed an angled mount for the mobius and printed it on saturday at the local printshop. . Its about 50g heavier than I wanted it, but I'm sure my next build will be way cleaner.

I'm waiting for better weather and another update to the firmware before I go calibrate it and fly around. Also tried working on my photogrammetry setup for my phantom.

I've learned so far that the DJI ground station loving blows compared to APM/Pixhawk mission planner. $200 and you only get a license for 16 waypoints and little logging (I wonder if you could build a trainer to disable that, the wookong gets 50 waypoints and someone made a version of the android app for the P2 Vision that disables the limit entirely) - I could replace the entire flight controller and get unlimited waypoints for that price. And that my remote trigger cable sorta works, but I have it probably plugged into the wrong channel (it goes off when I tilt the quad around, instead of when I move the switch normally assigned to gimbal tilt)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 22, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I met a cool guy at the makerspace doing photogrammetry with the university. It seems really fun - he took at 3d landscape rending from his photos and used it to carve a topography model in a big block of wood. I should ask him if he still has the extra (fixed wing) frame he'd sell me for cheap

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Killstreak posted:

can you do a logo for me and my dealer's soundcloud? we're gonna do soulection & vaporwave type stuff and this is just the aesthetic we're going for

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
alibaba is probably even cheaper

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

It's also hilariously underbuilt compared to the hakko, using substandard parts, isn't tested, etc.

basically if you plug it into a wall or you put it in your body don't buy lovely knockoff poo poo

the aoyue is fine, settle down

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

computer toucher posted:

I'm going to try and fit a raspberry pi and an adafruit screen into an old gameboy.

I still haven't got all the parts but I was thinking about gutting some of the old game carts, cutting the pins in the PCB inside the gameboy and a cart and wiring up an microSD extension cable to the pins.

If I'm able to physically pull off such a soldering job, is there a reason electrically why this wouldn't work? I thought about wiring the pins so I can wire up some carts with different SD cards into old game carts and change OS'es by changing game carts.

Would it be wiser to leave an sd card in the pi and just bootstrap an OS from a USB key, wiring an USB cable to the cart pins?

I thought they're just electrical contacts so why wouldn't it work, right?

If there's room, I'll try to mount some microswitches under the original buttons and pin those to the GPIO. Another possibility is to gut out a simple micro-sized gamepad and try to line it up / hack it to work with the face buttons. I'm talking about an old gameboy here, so there even might be room.

Any tips before I ruin a gameboy and a perfectly good raspberry pi?

I already did something similar with an 8-bit nintendo: https://kyber.ninja/thread.php?id=7

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/common-ground-dmg-button-pcb

also you could just buy a broken gameboy because you are literally just using the plastic and rubber pieces. also theres a lot of people who have done this so you can see how they assembled and arranged poo poo.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 31, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
should i learn autodesk or solidworks

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yeah that

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

computer toucher posted:

thanks, that's exactly what I need. I'll get a custom case from them and transplant the innards to that.

it's hard to find a Game boy, but it's even harder to find a broken one since who keeps that around?

e: that's what I'm gonna use for buttons, my question was about the microsd and hacking together a bridge over the cart contacts. is it doable or is there an obvious reason why not?

zero electronics skills here.

That would be cool if you have the room. otherwise just internalise the memory. maybe put a micro usb out where the link port goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrEj1aQRbpw

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
250 quad status: It works, and I slammed it against the ceiling girder trying to auto tune the PIDs. The floor was Astro turf and rubber pellets though so its ok

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

can we laugh at somebody else's idiot spare time project

http://blog.arduino.cc/2015/02/25/connecting-a-telegraph-with-21st-century-networks/

just

this could have been a nice afternoon in the park instead of loving about with prerolled libs and the scrubbiest arduino

yall need to chill the heck out about libraries (they probably should have jammed a little readout between the base and the acrylic plate though)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
all terrain marble madness

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
degrees turned whilst midair

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

*jumps and oscillates rapidly a few degrees to either side*

congrats on your mega stunt

air wiggles would be a great stunt though if there is actual inertia and poo poo thats probably not a viable option

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i finished this tonight, the co-owner of the makerspace is doin some sort of small business talk on thursday and wanted one of the quads around for it

Vlad the Retailer posted:

as for idiot spare time projects, today i wrote a Python script to sift through Bandcamp tags to find music tagged as free for commercial use

it's not 100% foolproof - it doesn't account for, say, people remixing licensed songs and tagging them as A-OK for paid projects, despite the fact that you'd be simultaneously dropkicked by fifty music lawyers for even thinking of using them

on the other hand, it's cool if you suddenly need twenty albums of indie-trap-folk music for your siqq MMO project or whatever

i need this for my sick nasty upcoming fpv vids (actually just for the non sick nasty aerial stuff)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 3, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would replace the entire flight controller on it tbh, if you want to actually do anything with it CS-ish (or build something bigger you can put a px4 on). I think anything I've seen that does automated stuff with toy quads is all handled on a separate computer and turned into appropriate radio controls.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 3, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

lol fuckin unreal people disallow "bloody" as a user name

bl00dy

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I would replace the entire flight controller on it tbh, if you want to actually do anything with it CS-ish (or build something bigger you can put a px4 on). I think anything I've seen that does automated stuff with toy quads is all handled on a separate computer and turned into appropriate radio controls.

You could also retrofit it with a few parts from crazyflie http://www.bitcraze.se/crazyflie-2/

but a px4 would be better. Theres also some sort of APM shield for raspberry pi, but I don't even know if someone has made a suitable RTOS environment for that.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 4, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You could also retrofit it with a few parts from crazyflie http://www.bitcraze.se/crazyflie-2/

but a px4 would be better. Theres also some sort of APM shield for raspberry pi, but I don't even know if someone has made a suitable RTOS environment for that.

im just gonna quote myself again here cuz there is a nice crazyflie clone on the ol deal extreme http://www.dxsoul.com/product/neje-gravity-sensor-operated-crazyflie-nano-quadcopter-kit-for-android-cellphone-black-901344342

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Graff posted:

I know some guy who did this but z80. I'll get some sweet pics when I go and visit over the summer

benheck did a portable apple 1 a bit ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXllm5JWWAs

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
where can i get a good amount of NCR18650PF (unprotected) li-ion batteries at a reasonable price - all the multistar lipo batteries are sold out, and I'm taking this opportunity to learn how to build a battery pack.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

yah someone on rcgroups referred me here http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54&search=18650PF

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

are there hackerspaces but for woodworking

lots of makerspaces have people probably interested in woodworking, ours has this cool wood turner dude that goes there

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can set up a lot of them to work mounted upside down, I've seen people do helmet mounts on top or one the side. They take a pwm signal, same thing as a regular servo. Gimbal behavior can vary on mode you set it in - my h3-3d does a slower follow on the yaw, but you can have gimbal modes that try to maintain the same orientation on all axes at all times (within reason)

quote:

did it work right out of the box?

his was designed for his particular model but a lot of them are going to need to real tuning to work well.

Dr. Honked posted:

cheerson cx20/quanum nova uses an arduino flight controller, based on the open hardware/software ardupilot. get the ground station softwares here http://planner.ardupilot.com/

some do, you have to be careful with the cheerson that you get the right one

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 5, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i made a battery out of slightly smaller batteries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=papvLP7y60I

I have to get a female xt60 connector because I forgot I only had 3 of each (and used all my female already) and heat shrink it

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 21, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i wrapped my battery last night. I'll get better at heatshrink eventually

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BiohazrD posted:

any of you spare time project people have 3d printer recommendations? prefer something that isn't kickstarter vaporware

The thread in DIY has the best suggestions because noone here will know what niche items your community has built with 3d printing and will instead spend enormous amounts of time telling you about how consumer 3d printing is a waste of time and money.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
me irl today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a program that automatically lays out perfboard stuff as efficiently as possible (or do i need to man up and design real pcbs)