Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sweevo posted:

buy an arduino and then call yourself a Hacker/Maker because you flashed that LED using code someone else wrote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i've started like five coursera/edx courses now and then gotten busy/distracted halfway through them

never gonna be a hip web programmer :smith:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ur better off not graduating tbqh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

an ee with an arduino

a shameful ee

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

u better be sorry. punkass busta

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

uG posted:

How have you not killed yourself yet?

drat dude. too edgy for me. im out.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ugh dammit im gettin flashbacks to wirewrapping my fuckin hc12 board senior year fuckkkkk

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

julian assflange posted:

hark, a shitposter cometh!

exeunt yospos

im pretty sick of the :frogout: frog but if somebody dressed him up like henry viii and made it :exeunt: i would have a brief chuckle

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fuckkkkk

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

post the github

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

more like dICK posted:

Close IYG and just let them post in SH/SC. Close YOSPOS and let them post in GWS/PI/Games.
nevermind gently caress you t:mad:

also: why in the world would you WANT iyg posters in ur forum

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is that losethos's real name

e: oh wow i looked that guy up and i'm pretty sure i have more respect for losethos

GameCube fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 23, 2013

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

never heard of this ted nelson chap

quote:

Nelson founded Project Xanadu in 1960 with the goal of creating a computer network with a simple user interface. The effort is documented in his 1974 book Computer Lib / Dream Machines and the 1981 Literary Machines. Much of his adult life has been devoted to working on Xanadu and advocating it.

The Xanadu project itself failed to flourish, for a variety of reasons which are disputed. Journalist Gary Wolf published an unflattering history on Nelson and his project in the June 1995 issue of Wired calling it "the longest-running vaporware project in the history of computing".[1] Nelson expressed his disgust on his website,[2] referring to Wolf as "Gory Jackal", and threatened to sue him. He also outlined his objections in a letter to Wired,[3] and released a detailed rebuttal of the article.[4]

it's been almost two more decades, and this is xanadu as of last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yLNGUeHapA&t=196s

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tef get back here. explain this poo poo

why did the french knight this guy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tef posted:

basically he was a pioneer and inspired and influenced a lot of people who tried to get a little bit towards what he wanted, like mr tim berners lee, and others.

and then he pissed and moaned that they didn't do it RIGHT apparently

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

poemdexter posted:

my buddy gets stuck in a rut because he never tries to code, he just wants to read about how to be a good coder

its me im ur buddy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

poemdexter posted:

hey, we're all buddies here. please code more

if you're reading rss feeds about how some guy solved a thing with his neato algorithm, you're not helping yourself unless it's EXTREMELY related to your current field/project.

edit: also any time you stop and think "oh man, i have to refactor this else it'll be slow" just don't worry about it. 1% of the time it'll actually matter and 99% of the time you'll never finish your project enough where it could ever possibly matter anyway.

yeah i realized this a short while ago

a guy at my last job used to give lectures on good software engineering practices and i'd always stop and chat with him for like a half hour every time i ran into him in the breakroom

then a friend of mine joined his project and discovered the guy was completely full of poo poo, hardly did any work, threw together fake demos for his presentations

i mean obviously reading stuff's worthwhile (just got my smart dog book) but i forget all that poo poo if i don't use it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my hobby is poking at this weird scab i got from sliding into second at a company softball game

i don't play softball anymore

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

managers at ea require an edict from on high to remind them to act like human beings. christ

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol gently caress a grey forum. wake me when it's restyled, lowercase, and filled with insecure "irony"

current projects: learning blender so I can order some 3d printed poo poo. idk what yet. also I've got the urge to build a pinball table but considering that even just maintaining one is a sisyphean ordeal I think I'm just gonna ride this one out

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody posted:

shouldnt you be using a real cad if you want to actually make things rather than pixels

idk anything about this poo poo all i know is blender works and is free. is there a free cad

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Captain Cool posted:

same, but if I still have that urge when I have a garage/basement I might have to do it

for now

not an original design, but it's making me pick up a little 3d modeling, find the patience for playtesting, and the programming is light enough that I'm actually looking forward to it

reminds me of this thing i stumbled on yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QKcTMcFGyU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

My idiot spare time project: finally figuring out how to do graphics with Python and then doing the simplest poo poo i can think of in it, apparently

fractals!

conway's game of life!

langton's ant!

yeah i know i'm really breaking new ground here

i also wrote a thing for doing anti-aliased lines but then realized pygame already had one

oh well

post ur github, dork

i wanna make pretty pictures too

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

802.11weed posted:

i bought a pinball machine & it owns

livin the dream. which one

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Selling a house.

no loving clue how

i imagine i will have to pay lawyers money and it makes the bile come up

do you guys have those signs stapled to telephone poles everywhere that say I WILL BUY YOUR HOUSE SELL ME YOUR HOUSE PLZ why not just do that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh cool we're onto electronics projects

i had an idea for a big ol' button i could whack to make a noise. searched the internet and all i got was a bunch of idiot makers "hacking" a radio shack voice recorder into a staples easy button. what's the easiest/smallest/cheapest way to make a small circuit that just plays back a sound file

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh and i also found this which actually looks like it fits the bill but who uses a PIC in the year 2013

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mido posted:

dorkbodPDX? im in portland maybe ill just pop in :c00l:

no don't it's a hackerspace

u've been warned

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao it's literally an arduino and some rgb leds

Editor's Choice

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

today i fixed my dork hat that i use to track my head's position in flight sims. basically i was having a ton of problems with the overhead lights so i installed a sharp cut infrared filter on the camera but i guess it wasn't the same frequency as the ir leds i was using (grabbed them from the parts box a couple years ago) cause i lost about 90% of my image. ergo i had to buy new leds of the same frequency (850nm). this time upgraded to 10mm leds for a much larger spot at each vertex and sanded them until they're all frosty smooth so that i get a good image from all angles. so far: much smoother tracking and better viewing angles and i can leave the overhead light on too

power switch is kludgy but it works and the hat doesn't get a lot of abuse so eh

now time to go blast some virtual tanks or something :getin:

always been curious about these, how weird is it to turn your head but keep looking in the same direction

and how excited r u for oculus rift

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

cool but for those of us that don't play flight sims, why?

so u can look around ur cockpit naturally with ur head instead of trying to twiddle with a hatswitch or some poo poo

except u have to keep looking at the same screen which always seemed like it'd be super awkward to me

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

one day i would love to be able to play dcs a-10c but honestly it looks like a steep-rear end learning curve which takes time that i do not have. planes and copters are fuckin rad but i guess my place in life is to enjoy them from the ground.

if you wanna shoot some poo poo play one of the old ace combats. if you wanna fly a real-rear end plane get x-plane. if you wanna do both good loving luck

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

gooncam to capture it and then photoshop to crop/resize/save for web/etc

it's pretty tedious (especially with several hundred frames, which slows my computer to a crawl) and one of these days i'm going to look up how to make it output to a series of bitmap files instead of the screen so that i can just string them together into a gif

automate that part too while you're at it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

or the kind who flies virtual airline simulators across the atlantic in real time. take off in new york, reach 1500 feet agl, activate autopilot, go and make dinner and clean the house and watch a couple of movies, return 5 hours later when the alarm goes off, land in heathrow. gg, good work everyone

went through a flightsim phase in high school where'd set up the autopilot before bed and wake up in the morning to invariably discover that I'd forgotten to turn on anti-icing

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

we just got techshop in pittsburgh but i'm too busy/lazy to use my drat soldering iron let alone cnc mills or 3d printers or whatever :sigh:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also gently caress wet sponges, get yourself one of these

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

idk seems like that'd double the suffering. suffer the math or suffer the programming imo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey if carmack could do it why not this guy

man I would have been so much more into math in high school if each unit culminated in some sick graphics demos using what we learned

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

802.11weed posted:

gonna buy three electromechanical pinballs from the mid-late 70s. i do not have room for 'em but gently caress it, it's a good deal

retheme one of them. and give me the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yospos pinball feat. milkie multiball